Process of applying for a retirement visa

I will be 50 in july and arriving in Pattaya ready to apply for retirement visa. I will have the 800,000 baht required in bank for 3 months. What is the easiest. cheapest way to go from there? Is there a certain visa type I should enter with? I was just going to enter on a 30 day tourist visa if that would work. Any other paperwork I need to bring from America? Thanks for advice. Excited to become a full timer in Patts.

• Like 1

There are different options, but I would suggest trying for a single entry O visa (good for a 90 day stay) which you can probably obtain at some U.S. consulates. The reason would be considering retirement in Thailand. That would not be on offer at the D.C. Thai embassy or L.A as they would insist on an O-A visa application. With the single entry O, you can directly apply for your annual retirement extension at the Jomtien immigration office. Where are you located in the U.S.? Have you ruled out applying for an O-A visa in the U.S.? Yes the O-A does require a medical form and police record report but it's very useful as you can use it to live in Thailand for about two years before you even need to apply for your first retirement extension in Thailand.

To add: the money seasoning requirement for first time retirement extension applications is two months, not three. Later ones are three.

Medical form and U.S. police record report NOT needed for retirement extensions in Thailand.

Paperwork? Make sure you're sorted for future money transfers into Thailand from your U.S. banks.

If you're not entering Thailand with a single O or an annual O-A, I would not suggest entering only on a 30 day stamp. For one thing if you're coming on a one way ticket you might not be boarded without a visa and secondly it will be too much time pressure in Thailand for you, as you will need to CONVERT that 30 day stamp to an O visa at Thai immigration and it's better to have a TOURIST VISA for that. As long as you're bothering with a tourist visa, might as well at least go for a single entry O. Again, where you live in the U.S. may matter in this.

As far as converting 30 day stamps or tourist visas to a single O ... not certain whether you can do that now at Jomtien. Used to be you could, then you had to go to Bangkok for that, and recently I heard you can apply at Jomtien and they will send the application to Bangkok for you. So not sure.

If not clear, you can't directly apply for a retirement extension without an O visa in your passport.

Edited by Jingthing

I am in Ohio. I have to be 50 to apply for the O-A, if I understand correctly. I wont be 50 until July 29, which is the day I arrive in Patts.

So you need to travel that soon?

Assuming so, yes you are correct you would need to be 50 to apply for an O-A visa.

As far as applying for a single entry O with the reason "exploring retirement in Thailand" I am not sure if being under 50 would be an issue or not.

I suppose the closest Thai consulate is Chicago. I don't know if they would do single entry Os anyway for this purpose.

Chicago does do O-A applications but as you said over 50.

As you say you are traveling on that date, perhaps you should apply for a tourist visa or even a double entry tourist visa from Chicago.

Then you have plenty of time to do the CONVERSION step (to O visa) in Thailand either at Jomtien if really possible or Bangkok.

The annual extension second step must be done at Jomtien as you will be living there.

You need to show your financial qualification for both steps of the application (conversion to O and the extension).

If this sounds complicated, well, over time it gets easier.

To add, I am not up to date on the current policies of consulates such as Portland Oregon accepting --

applications out of their region (by mail of course)

applications for single entry O for exploring retirement reason

if being under 50 would be an issue or not

(Portland doesn't do O-As)

You could always contact them by email and ask. It might be worth exploring this. Arriving with the single O entry visa in your passport would be desirable.

Or you could change your travel date and apply for an O-A after your birthday ... just saying ...

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I will not be arriving later than my birthday and possibly 2-3 weeks before. So maybe I will do a tourist visa to enter which gives me 60 days. No reason why that wouldnt be enough time to apply for an O? Then to do the O visa in Jomtien do I need medical and criminal records?

Yes, I will not be arriving later than my birthday and possibly 2-3 weeks before. So maybe I will do a tourist visa to enter which gives me 60 days. No reason why that wouldnt be enough time to apply for an O? Then to do the O visa in Jomtien do I need medical and criminal records?

Yes a tourist visa would be adequate.

Closer to the time you will actually be here, post on the forum to find out the current policy at Jomtien on offering conversions from a tourist visa to an O visa (90 day) as part of the two step process, first step conversion to O, and second step, annual retirement extension. If you can do it at Jomtien, do it there; if not, you will need to do it in Bangkok. That will be rather a bigger hassle for you.

In either case, the second step, the retirement extension, MUST be done at Jomtien (your Thai residence closest office).

As I said previously, you will NOT require a medical form or police record form if making these applications in Thailand. Only needed for the O-A application in the U.S. which you aren't doing.

Edited by Jingthing

In the OP, you stated 'cheapest' route. Arriving on a Tourist Visa and converting to a Non O in Thailand and then applying for annual extensions at Jomtien, would not be the cheapest route. It would be much cheaper overall to arrive with a Non O visa and apply for the annual extensions in Jomtien. It wasn't clear from your post, but the money needs to be in a Thai Bank account if going the Non O route. Enjoy your retirement in Thailand.

In the OP, you stated 'cheapest' route. Arriving on a Tourist Visa and converting to a Non O in Thailand and then applying for annual extensions at Jomtien, would not be the cheapest route. It would be much cheaper overall to arrive with a Non O visa and apply for the annual extensions in Jomtien. It wasn't clear from your post, but the money needs to be in a Thai Bank account if going the Non O route. Enjoy your retirement in Thailand.

I guess you mean cheaper because of an additional visa application.

Tourist plus O plus extension rather than O plus extension.

Also if the OP has to do the conversion to O in Bangkok, there will be the expense of the trip to Bangkok.

I agree arriving with an O would be better .... said as much already.

I assume he knows the funds need to be in Thailand for extension applications but good point if he doesn't.

In any case, for such an O visa where exactly should he apply? Not sure Chicago would work for that, also he will be under 50.

Edited by Jingthing

I can't give you any guidance with regards US Embassy/Consulates. When I asked the Thai Embassy in London about issuing a Non O when I was 49,they said they would issue one, but I could not get an annual extension until I was 50. As it happened, I decided to get a double entry Tourist Visa from Hull in November 2014 and do the conversion/extension at Chiang Mai. As we all know the process was changed in December and you where required to do TWO trips to Bangkok to do the conversion from Tourist to a Non O. I had already booked to go to Cambodia for the month of March 2015. So I secured my Non O from Phnom Penh, which was not an easy or smooth operation. I am now waiting to apply for my annual extension next month in Chiang Mai. If I had been aware of the December process change, I would have entered initially on a Non O to save all the hassle I went through.

I do not know if rules changed in the last 4 years, but this is the way I did, still doing it, and was easy.

Some fees were valid 4 years ago, now probably are higher.

I got here with a double entry tourist visa from the Thai Consulate in the US, cost $200, and a round trip ticket from China Airlines, that is cheaper than any other airline company, and was also valid for one year, without fees for dates changes, etc.

From the US, a one way ticket price is very close to the round trip price....but can be done also with a one way ticket plus an exit ticket to any other no visa country, like Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam.

In BK at the Immigration office, the confusion, the non sense requirements, and the service, was so bad, that I decided to do my retirement extension in Chiang Mai, my final destination.

In Chiang Mai, and easily, I changed my tourist visa for a NO visa valid for 3 months. That is the first step for a one year retirement extension.

Needs copy of passport, visas, entry card, 2 pictures, and proof of residence (hotel, rental agreement, etc). Cost 1900 THB.

With that visa can open a bank account without problems. I recommend Bangkok Bank if you need to transfer money from the US.

Before the 3 months expiration of the NO visa, needs to apply for the retirement extension valid for one year, Cost 1900THB,

Needs just the Income Certification from the US Consulate (Cost $50), (appt. online), and/or Proof of 2 to 3 months/Deposit in a Thai bank account, transfered from the US. At that time can also apply for a multiple entry permit if you are planning in leave Thailand during the year and come back. For one re entry cost 1000 THB, for multiple re entries cost 3000THB.

With a retirement extension, need to show up at local immigration office every 3 months, and bring changes of residence address if necessary. Better to do it before due date, and now can be done online.

No cost, but if any due date is missing, will be a fine of 500THB/day, plus possible agravations, etc.

Every year, needs to extend the retirement extension, showing the same documentation like the first time. Cost 1900 THB.

In BK will take hours, In Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, less hours, in some other cities...few minutes.

I hope this info will help you in some ways.

Welcome to Thailand!...but...always ..be careful...and take your time before any long term decision.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 1

I do not know if rules changed in the last 4 years, but this is the way I did, still doing it, and was easy.

Some fees were valid 4 years ago, now probably are higher.

I got here with a double entry tourist visa from the Thai Consulate in the US, cost $200, and a round trip ticket from China Airlines, that is cheaper than any other airline company, and was also valid for one year, without fees for dates changes, etc.

From the US, a one way ticket price is very close to the round trip price....but can be done also with a one way ticket plus an exit ticket to any other no visa country, like Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam.

In BK at the Immigration office, the confusion, the non sense requirements, and the service, was so bad, that I decided to do my retirement extension in Chiang Mai, my final destination.

In Chiang Mai, and easily, I changed my tourist visa for a NO visa valid for 3 months. That is the first step for a one year retirement extension.

Needs copy of passport, visas, entry card, 2 pictures, and proof of residence (hotel, rental agreement, etc). Cost 1900 THB.

With that visa can open a bank account without problems. I recommend Bangkok Bank if you need to transfer money from the US.

Before the 3 months expiration of the NO visa, needs to apply for the retirement extension valid for one year, Cost 1900THB, with just the income certification from the US Consulate (Cost $50), and/or Proof of 2 to 3 months/Deposit in a Thai bank account, transfered from the US. At that time can also apply for a multiple entry permit if you are planning in leave Thailand during the year and come back. For one re entry cost 1000 THB, for 4 re entries cost 3000THB.

With a retirement extension, need to show up at local immigration office every 3 months, and bring changes of residence address if necessary. Better to do it before due date, and now can be done online.

No cost, but if any due date is missing, will be a fine of 500THB/day, plus possible agravations, etc.

Every year, needs to extend the retirement extension, showing the same documentation like the first time. Cost 1900 THB.

In BK will take hours, In Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, less hours, in some other cities...few minutes.

I hope this info will help you in some ways.

Welcome to Thailand!...but...always ..be careful...and take your time before any long term decision.

With a tourist visa you do not need proof of onward travel.

You now have to convert in BKK, with proof of the money coming from abroad if applying based on money in the bank. Conversion takes 15 days, so one has to come back after 2 weeks.

Missing a 90 day report is 2,000 baht fine, not 500 a day.

• Like 1

Yes, the rules have changed.

You CAN NOT do a change of status ( conversion ) from a Tourist Visa to a Non Imm. O in Chiang Mai anymore. It now requires TWO trips to Immigration in Bangkok.

Arrive in Thailand with a Non Imm. O as mentioned above and you will save yourself money and time.

Given the OP's lack of interest in getting an O or O-A in the U.S., I will mention another option to the tourist visa - conversion - extension plan.

He could do this.

1 - Get no visa in the U.S. but buy an air ticket to Penang Malaysia or Vientiane Laos leaving before 30 days in Thailand

2 - Should be OK for airline to board from the U.S. with a one way ticket to BKK having the air ticket out leaving before 30 days

3. - Go to Thai embassy in Laos or the consulate in Malaysia and apply for a single entry O visa based on intent to get a retirement extension in Thailand, assuming over 50 by that time. Evidence of financial qualification showing of the Thai bank account will be needed. If trying this, post questions here for specific advice on that.

4 - Go back to Thailand with the 90 day stay O visa and then apply for the annual extension based on retirement about 30 days before the expiration of that 90 day stay.

Advantages of this plan:

No need to apply for even a tourist visa in the U.S.

Having air ticket out should allow boarding on a one way ticket to Thailand even with no visa in passport

Avoids the need for a trip to Bangkok for the conversion step; instead the O visa is obtained outside Thailand

More time to get settled and organized with the combo of a 30 day stamp and O visa than a single tourist visa

Keep in mind, it is possible by the time the O.P. might need a conversion, it might be possible to do that at Jomtien again. The rules do tend to change.

• Like 2

From memory unless the rules have changed which they do - I converted on a 30 day no problem but don't wait until the last day as if there is a problem then you have an overstay etc - You need a very recent letter from your bank confirming funds I did mine the same day, plus your bank book, plus a rental contract all original I think but definitely the bank letter. Now you can do your reporting online so only have to go to Immigration once a year, unless you need to get a re-entry permit etc.

Edited by FiestyFarang

From memory unless the rules have changed which they do - I converted on a 30 day no problem but don't wait until the last day as if there is a problem then you have an overstay etc - You need a very recent letter from your bank confirming funds I did mine the same day, plus your bank book, plus a rental contract all original I think but definitely the bank letter. That's from memory. Now you can do your reporting online so only have to go to Immigration once a year, unless you need to get a re-entry permit etc.

Even if the OP can convert a 30 day yes it would need to be done early in the 30 day period and that would be some stressful time pressure for him. I don't know the current rules on converting 30 day stamps at Bangkok (as opposed to a tourist visa). Perhaps someone can post.

Snip...

3. - Go to Thai embassy in Laos or the consulate in Malaysia and apply for a single entry O visa based on intent to get a retirement extension in Thailand, assuming over 50 by that time. Evidence of financial qualification showing of the Thai bank account will be needed. If trying this, post questions here for specific advice on that.

This is the part that confuses me, how can you evidence money in a Thai bank account before you get the long term visa that enables you to open one?

Yes I know you used to be able to open accounts on Visa Exempt & maybe some branches will still let you, but assuming you're outside of Thailand with no Thai account (& no income but more than enough in non-Thai accounts to meet the 800k THB ) & looking to go through the retirement process, how do you meet the Financial requirements?

Edited by JB300

From memory unless the rules have changed which they do - I converted on a 30 day no problem but don't wait until the last day as if there is a problem then you have an overstay etc - You need a very recent letter from your bank confirming funds I did mine the same day, plus your bank book, plus a rental contract all original I think but definitely the bank letter. Now you can do your reporting online so only have to go to Immigration once a year, unless you need to get a re-entry permit etc.

"You need a very recent letter from your bank confirming funds I did mine the same day, plus your bank book, plus a rental contract all original I think but definitely the bank letter. Now you can do your reporting online so only have to go to Immigration once a year, unless you need to get a re-entry permit etc."

A copy of a letter from your embassy regarding income is acceptable when doing the conversion & the original for the extension (if you're using that method), but as you say the bank letter will need to be the original for either the conversion or the application for an annual extension based on retirement. I always present the letter no more than 24 hours from when it was issued. And, the photocopies from your bank passbook should be updated the same day as the letter is issued and should show EXACTLY the same balance as the manager's letter.

At least his first 90 day report will need to be done in person with a TM.47. And in some cases until the system is fully operational he will need to continue doing 90 day reports in person or by mail. I've been doing them at Jomtien for over 8 years and the online procedure still doesn't work for me. Possibly because I got a new passport a few months ago.

At Jomtien I've never needed much in the way of proof of residence for either the 90 day report or the annual extension. For the former before it was computerized I just used a recent Internet monthly statement and now they don't even require that. For the annual extension I was asked one time years ago if I owned or rented. I said that I owned. No proof requested. Since then they've never asked for anything regarding my residence.

There have been unconfirmed rumors that you can submit an application for conversion to a non-imm O entry at Jomtien, but the application will still be forwarded to Bangkok for processing.

If he enters on a visa exempt entry and is restrained by time, he can still get an addition 30 days by applying for an extension of that stay.

As JT and others have said, it would probably be less of a hassle locally if he entered on a non-imm O (an O-A even better, but apparently not feasible in his case because of age). Second best would be a Tourist Visa. In either case with a visa in hand he would not need a round trip/ return air ticket.

Edited by Suradit69

Snip...

This is the part that confuses me, how can you evidence money in a Thai bank account before you get the long term visa that enables you to open one?

Yes I know you used to be able to open accounts on Visa Exempt & maybe some branches will still let you, but assuming you're outside of Thailand with no Thai account (& no income but more than enough in non-Thai accounts to meet the 800k THB ) & looking to go through the retirement process, how do you meet the Financial requirements?

It is usually always possible to open a Thai bank account somewhere in a bigger city like Pattaya anyway where there are so many branches and so many are foreigner friendly. The OP has stated he is already sorted with a Thai bank account. He would want to bring current proof of his balance (bankbook, etc.) to the Thai embassy or consulate. Not sure if he would need an immigration letter from the bank as we get for bank balances to show Thai immigration in Thailand though.

No you can't open a Thai bank account outside Thailand.

As far as timing for people arriving without a Thai bank account, they can arrive, open the account, then transfer the money in. The money seasoning rule for FIRST TIME extensions is two months, not three, so it can be done if rushed.

For the conversion step in Thailand (or at outside embassies) the money does not need to be seasoned yet ... the seasoning rule applies to the retirement EXTENSION applications.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing -- you stole my other plan offering ... 555.... Both my plan and yours makes better sense because the getting of the 'O' Visa is done on the way into Thailand ... no flitting back an forth to Thai immigration - much less time crunch... My plan just gives OP even more time to get it all done... Not absolutely necessary ... but time to breath is peace of mind when dealing with Thai immigration and Thai Banks.

For the life of me I will never understand why new soon to be Expats put themselves in a such a TIME BOX to get everything done when it is just not necessary.. .A time crunch means any mistake or lack of documents, in getting the bank account set up or anything related to immigration means you have to do something else to gain more time - short extension ...

Why not plan for more time than remotely will be necessary in the first place? There is nothing to lose and everything to gain ...

Example -- you do have to substantiate place of residence ... lease/rental agreement for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement ( EoS-R ).... at least present receipts and contact info from the Guesthouse or Hotel or Resort... or Condo Manager ... What if ... the Immigration Officer says what you brought is insufficient - they are quite arbitrary as we know ... So - GO BACK and get it ... takes time track down the landlord/manager, etc.... With plenty of time available -- you could saunter down to the local immigration with the docs you have and apply for a Certificate of Residence -- a simple deal to do ... And if they find fault with your docs -- you have time to get it right before doing the full blown Extension App. (EoS-R)... And for time for other helpful document such as the American Embassy Letter / Affidavit of meeting Income Requirements - if a person wants to go that route.

Oldtimers - please remember newbies do not know what you know ... it will be a bit of a strange deal for them - first time ...

The first time really is more complicated as you need to get set up and also there are really different choices to get it done first time.

After that, there is really one basic choice so it definitely gets easier.

Keep getting annual retirement extensions.

If you break that chain, you're back at the beginning again.

Snip...

It is usually always possible to open a Thai bank account somewhere in a bigger city like Pattaya anyway where there are so many branches and so many are foreigner friendly. The OP has stated he is already sorted with a Thai bank account. He would want to bring current proof of his balance (bankbook, etc.) to the Thai embassy or consulate. Not sure if he would need an immigration letter from the bank as we get for bank balances to show Thai immigration in Thailand though.

As far as timing for people arriving without a Thai bank account, they can arrive, open the account, then transfer the money in. The money seasoning rule for FIRST TIME extensions is two months, not three, so it can be done if rushed.

For the conversion step in Thailand (or at outside embassies) the money does not need to be seasoned yet ... the seasoning rule applies to the retirement EXTENSION applications.

So if I've understood correctly, you can get a Non-O for reasons of researching Retirement outside of Thailand without having a Thai bank account, then when you get to Thailand you open an account, seed the funds & convert to an extension of stay based on Retirement once these have been seasoned for 2 months.

Snip...

So if I've understood correctly, you can get a Non-O for reasons of researching Retirement outside of Thailand without having a Thai bank account, then when you get to Thailand you open an account, seed the funds & convert to an extension of stay based on Retirement once these have been seasoned for 2 months.

In theory, yes.

Issues ... not all Thai embassies/consulates (home countries) abroad will grant a single entry O for this purpose. If they do, they won't expect a Thai bank account.

Many will insist on an O-A application (funds for that do NOT need to be in Thailand).

It is possibly in Penang and Vientienne though to get a single entry O based on being over 50 and financials, but if using a bank account method there, you DO need a Thai bank account and to show the money, but seasoning not required yet. Many people qualify with pension income ... that proof could be used as well (ask for details here from someone else if trying that method).

Transferring money in might be a problem with new accounts.

For example, new expat opens account while in Thailand and then can't manage to get his home country bank to transfer the money. Sometimes banks require you to set that up from the home country. Getting your money mechanics in order BEFORE you leave your home country needs to be a priority.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I am in Ohio. I have to be 50 to apply for the O-A, if I understand correctly. I wont be 50 until July 29, which is the day I arrive in Patts.

So you need to travel that soon?

Assuming so, yes you are correct you would need to be 50 to apply for an O-A visa.

As far as applying for a single entry O with the reason "exploring retirement in Thailand" I am not sure if being under 50 would be an issue or not.

I suppose the closest Thai consulate is Chicago. I don't know if they would do single entry Os anyway for this purpose.

Chicago does do O-A applications but as you said over 50.

As you say you are traveling on that date, perhaps you should apply for a tourist visa or even a double entry tourist visa from Chicago.

Then you have plenty of time to do the CONVERSION step (to O visa) in Thailand either at Jomtien if really possible or Bangkok.

The annual extension second step must be done at Jomtien as you will be living there.

You need to show your financial qualification for both steps of the application (conversion to O and the extension).

If this sounds complicated, well, over time it gets easier.

To add, I am not up to date on the current policies of consulates such as Portland Oregon accepting --

applications out of their region (by mail of course)

applications for single entry O for exploring retirement reason

if being under 50 would be an issue or not

(Portland doesn't do O-As)

You could always contact them by email and ask. It might be worth exploring this. Arriving with the single O entry visa in your passport would be desirable.

Or you could change your travel date and apply for an O-A after your birthday ... just saying ...

The Thai Embassy in DC contacted all US Consulates and issued a stop order on all visas by mail. According to at least one consulate it had to do with people applying for visas by mail while never leaving Thailand. This information was accurate as of Oct. 2014 when I applied for my Non-O at a consulate in the States.(in person...thanks to the stop order!)

• Like 1

"You need a very recent letter from your bank confirming funds I did mine the same day, plus your bank book, plus a rental contract all original I think but definitely the bank letter. Now you can do your reporting online so only have to go to Immigration once a year, unless you need to get a re-entry permit etc."

A copy of a letter from your embassy regarding income is acceptable when doing the conversion & the original for the extension (if you're using that method), but as you say the bank letter will need to be the original for either the conversion or the application for an annual extension based on retirement. I always present the letter no more than 24 hours from when it was issued. And, the photocopies from your bank passbook should be updated the same day as the letter is issued and should show EXACTLY the same balance as the manager's letter.

At least his first 90 day report will need to be done in person with a TM.47. And in some cases until the system is fully operational he will need to continue doing 90 day reports in person or by mail. I've been doing them at Jomtien for over 8 years and the online procedure still doesn't work for me. Possibly because I got a new passport a few months ago.

At Jomtien I've never needed much in the way of proof of residence for either the 90 day report or the annual extension. For the former before it was computerized I just used a recent Internet monthly statement and now they don't even require that. For the annual extension I was asked one time years ago if I owned or rented. I said that I owned. No proof requested. Since then they've never asked for anything regarding my residence.

There have been unconfirmed rumors that you can submit an application for conversion to a non-imm O entry at Jomtien, but the application will still be forwarded to Bangkok for processing.

If he enters on a visa exempt entry and is restrained by time, he can still get an addition 30 days by applying for an extension of that stay.

As JT and others have said, it would probably be less of a hassle locally if he entered on a non-imm O (an O-A even better, but apparently not feasible in his case because of age). Second best would be a Tourist Visa. In either case with a visa in hand he would not need a round trip/ return air ticket.

I did my 90 report online over a weekend and it was approved by noon on Monday, can't be better than that. What makes you think first time has to be done at Immigration? I have never heard this even on the Immigration site?

The Thai Embassy in DC contacted all US Consulates and issued a stop order on all visas by mail. According to at least one consulate it had to do with people applying for visas by mail while never leaving Thailand. This information was accurate as of Oct. 2014 when I applied for my Non-O at a consulate in the States.(in person...thanks to the stop order!)

No reason to doubt the truth of that statement at all, but for the cost of an email the OP could confirm whether he could get a non-O for purpose of retirement by mail from the Portland Honorary Consul: http://www.thai-or.com/

A couple other nice-to-know things you might want to do in the states prior to coming to Thailand I'm not sure have been mentioned by others yet:

If you intend on driving in Thailand well worth your while to acquire an International Driver's Permit (can be obtained from AAA). Makes you a legal driver in Thailand for at least 3 months and more importantly when you go to get your Thai Driver's License you can avoid the written and practical exams if you possess an IDL and a valid state driver's license.

Consider opening a Charles Schwab checking account which will net you an ATM card that will reimburse you for any ATM fees charged worldwide. Using an ATM in Thailand will otherwise cost you 180 Baht per transaction. You get a good exchange rate by withdrawing Baht from an ATM (for example, the VISA daily exchange rate), but if you keep getting socked with the Thai 180 Baht fee per transaction it makes this option much less desirable.

Maybe look into obtaining a no-foreign-transaction fee credit card (offered by CapitalOne among others) and you can avoid the 1-4% fee some (most) credit cards impose on foreign transactions.

Maintain a mailing address in the US and never let any financial service companies (or other US businesses for that matter) know you live overseas. If you can use a family or friend's address for this purpose do so, otherwise you can use a mail service for this purpose (travelingmailbox.com among others). Most businesses will be happy to send all correspondence to you by email, but sometimes you'll get something in the mail, it's almost impossible to avoid.

If you have access to a good library system where you live, get a card if you don't have already. Some (many) library systems these days have a lot of stuff available online (access to reference materials, audio books, e-books, etc.) that you could access from Thailand online.

As others have mentioned, Bangkok Bank has a nice service set up to allow you to transfer money from the US to Thailand for a pretty reasonable fee, and it is quite convenient to set up online. But you might want to check with your bank that they will allow you to send money by ACH to other domestic US banks for free. Some financial institutions will allow you to send ACH transfers for free (Vanguard and others, some banks and credit unions). Others will not. It would be good to know your bank's practice. You need to be in the US to open a new bank account, so would be good to know if you want to do this before you leave the US.

Edit: the reason you care whether you can do ACH transfers for free is that you would send money from your US bank via ACH to Bangkok Bank's New York City Branch (which is connected to other US banks via the ACH system) in order to use the service. You can still use the service even if you have to pay for your ACH transfers from your bank to BB's NY branch, but obviously it's better if you don't have to pay extra for this.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

No reason to doubt the truth of that statement at all, but for the cost of an email the OP could confirm whether he could get a non-O for purpose of retirement by mail from the Portland Honorary Consul: http://www.thai-or.com/

A couple other nice-to-know things you might want to do in the states prior to coming to Thailand I'm not sure have been mentioned by others yet:

If you intend on driving in Thailand well worth your while to acquire an International Driver's Permit (can be obtained from AAA). Makes you a legal driver in Thailand for at least 3 months and more importantly when you go to get your Thai Driver's License you can avoid the written and practical exams if you possess an IDL and a valid state driver's license.

Consider opening a Charles Schwab checking account which will net you an ATM card that will reimburse you for any ATM fees charged worldwide. Using an ATM in Thailand will otherwise cost you 180 Baht per transaction. You get a good exchange rate by withdrawing Baht from an ATM (for example, the VISA daily exchange rate), but if you keep getting socked with the Thai 180 Baht fee per transaction it makes this option much less desirable.

Maybe look into obtaining a no-foreign-transaction fee credit card (offered by CapitalOne among others) and you can avoid the 1-4% fee some (most) credit cards impose on foreign transactions.

Maintain a mailing address in the US and never let any financial service companies (or other US businesses for that matter) know you live overseas. If you can use a family or friend's address for this purpose do so, otherwise you can use a mail service for this purpose (travelingmailbox.com among others). Most businesses will be happy to send all correspondence to you by email, but sometimes you'll get something in the mail, it's almost impossible to avoid.

If you have access to a good library system where you live, get a card if you don't have already. Some (many) library systems these days have a lot of stuff available online (access to reference materials, audio books, e-books, etc.) that you could access from Thailand online.

As others have mentioned, Bangkok Bank has a nice service set up to allow you to transfer money from the US to Thailand for a pretty reasonable fee, and it is quite convenient to set up online. But you might want to check with your bank that they will allow you to send money by ACH to other domestic US banks for free. Some financial institutions will allow you to send ACH transfers for free (Vanguard and others, some banks and credit unions). Others will not. It would be good to know your bank's practice. You need to be in the US to open a new bank account, so would be good to know if you want to do this before you leave the US.

Edit: the reason you care whether you can do ACH transfers for free is that you would send money from your US bank via ACH to Bangkok Bank's New York City Branch (which is connected to other US banks via the ACH system) in order to use the service. You can still use the service even if you have to pay for your ACH transfers from your bank to BB's NY branch, but obviously it's better if you don't have to pay extra for this.

When requesting a Non Immigrant 'O' Multi-Entry Visa from a Royal Thai Honorary Consul General - a contractor with Thailand whose office is in the United States - there does not have to be any reason or justification at age 50 or more to get a Non Immigrant 'O' Visa MULTI-ENTRY Visa good for 12 months and extendable to a total of 15 months... There is no showing of the 800,000 Baht equivalent... just show a bank statement to evidence that you have funds to live on in Thailand and the region for one year. This type of visa IS NOT nor does it have to be related to eventual Retirement in Thailand .. .but it can be used for that purpose to convert to an Extension of Stay based on Retirement. All this I explained above which no one seemed to read. I know the above to be a fact as I have done it and I know others who have too.

Honorary Consul General Offices are in Honolulu Hawaii, Dallas and Houston Texas, and Portland OR. and several other places. The mostly American citizens - non Thai - except for maybe the one in Hawaii -- just want to get the $200.00 fee for the Non Imm Multi-'O' and stay within the law -- and the law of Thailand / Immigration allows this method.

Honorary Consul Generals cannot issue "O-A" Visas - for Long Stay often called a Retirement Visa. Also - I was under the impression the No Visa done by mail was only restricting Honorary Consul Generals not actual Thai Consulate Offices as in LA and Chicago.

Edited by JDGRUEN