Process of applying for a retirement visa

Dear OP, you have been given some great advise from your knowledgeable countrymen.

But, perhaps you might consider these points to add to your "To Do List":

1) Open a second bank account.

Only link one of these accounts to your ATM Card.

Keep the bulk of your money in the non linked account.

Transfer spending money as required from the non linked account to the Linked account, this will limit your exposure to ATM fraud.

2) Ask your bank to enable the ATM card so you can make purchases on-line, such as air tickets, accommodation etc.

With Kasikorn you can do it yourself at any Kasikorn ATM.

Kasikorn also allow you to create a virtual card online, it takes about 24 hours to obtain from your online request.

3) I read that you will be full time in Patts, so no plans to return to the States then.

Just remember that when you finally apply for your Retirement extension you will have to be in Thailand at that time every year to apply for each new extension.

If you let the extension lapse, as others have said, you must go back to the start with a new O visa....

4) If using the 800,000b in the bank method you need to make a transaction on the day that you request the letter from the bank and have the book made up then (make a copy of the book). This way the book will be made up that day and the amount will agree with the Bank's letter, so when you arrive at Immigration a little while later in the day, everything is in agreement. Just be sure that your account never dips below the 800,000b during the seasoning period.

For this reason I have a separate book that always has the 800,000b in it and it is at a slightly higher interest rate.

Once the ext is granted you can spend the 800,000b as you wish, just ensure that it is topped up to 800,00b for 90 days (or more) prior to the subsequent ext application.

When you do the top up, get the book made up! You need to establish the start point for the 90 days. Thai banks can use an aggregation method where they lump a bunch of transactions together, missing out some of them and only showing a final balance.

5) Consider setting up an online trading account now. I use XE-Trade. I buy Baht at the live rate less a small percentage. There is a wire transfer fee to pay and it takes about a week to 10 days for the money to arrive in my account. As soon as I have made the trade, I transfer the required (GBP in my case) to XE-Trade and that kicks off the transfer of Baht.

Note that the UK has a maximum of £25,000 that can be sent online at any one time. The USA may also have limits, worth checking with your bank.

There are tools that you can use online to see what you actually get right at that moment, good for confirming that they are giving you the best deal!

6) Buy a copy of Thailand Fever (there is a website), it will teach you everything you need to know about Thai culture and Western culture.

I was loaned a copy when I first arrived in Thailand so when I met and married my wonderful Thai lady, I knew what was expected of me.

No surprises and I enjoy a wonderful life in my new extended family. Had I not read the book, I might have been unable to accept the differences in our cultures.

7) Download a copy of Stephen Leathers eBook Private Dancer. This will teach you about the seedier side of Thai relationships.

In 2012 there was an incident which was almost word for word as described in the book!

(a Writer meets Thai bar-girl, falls in love, and lives to regret it.
For many years Private Dancer was unpublished, and was only available as an on-line download.

It has now been published in Thailand and Singapore, and it is available on Kindle.)

Sorry about that, I got it when it was free. A great and informative read though.

8) Promise yourself not to arrive wearing a "Holiday Head".

Take your time in getting new friends both Thai and foreigners.

Be careful who you trust.

Take your time about where and how you want to live.

Try not to enter into long term rental contracts until you are really sure about the area, neighbours etc.

It was a pleasure to read your original post, your excitement really shines through.

I trust you will find your feet quickly and have a great time in Thailand.

• Like 1

Regarding the funds in a Thai bank account.

Be sure it's in a Thai Deposit account. I made the mistake of transferring the funds into my Thai Current account and the Bangkok Immigration wouldn't accept it, I then transferred into a Thai Deposit account and had to wait a further period until the funds were seasoned in that account before I could apply for the visa extention.

In the OP, you stated 'cheapest' route. Arriving on a Tourist Visa and converting to a Non O in Thailand and then applying for annual extensions at Jomtien, would not be the cheapest route. It would be much cheaper overall to arrive with a Non O visa and apply for the annual extensions in Jomtien. It wasn't clear from your post, but the money needs to be in a Thai Bank account if going the Non O route. Enjoy your retirement in Thailand.

Regarding the funds in a Thai bank account.

Be sure it's in a Thai Deposit account. I made the mistake of transferring the funds into my Thai Current account and the Bangkok Immigration wouldn't accept it, I then transferred into a Thai Deposit account and had to wait a further period until the funds were seasoned in that account before I could apply for the visa extention.

In the OP, you stated 'cheapest' route. Arriving on a Tourist Visa and converting to a Non O in Thailand and then applying for annual extensions at Jomtien, would not be the cheapest route. It would be much cheaper overall to arrive with a Non O visa and apply for the annual extensions in Jomtien. It wasn't clear from your post, but the money needs to be in a Thai Bank account if going the Non O route. Enjoy your retirement in Thailand.

Clarification: If a person begins his/her efforts to obtain an Extension of Stay based on Retirement by first getting a Non Immigrant "O" Single Entry 90 day Visa ... obtained in Penang, Vientiane, or at Bkk Immigration - there needs to be proof of finances of 800,000 Thai Baht in a Thai Bank BUT not seasoned at all - to begin the Extension process.

If one obtains a Non Immigrant "O" Multi-Entry Visa in one's home country there is NO Requirement for any showing of financial proof of 800,000 Thai Baht or its equivalent... because this Visa can and is issued for other purposes not related to Retirement in Thailand. One purpose is simply by writing in or by verbal declaration that the purpose is extensive touring of Thailand and the adjacent region for a year -- or simply say or write nothing at all. One is most often required however to show proof of financial ability to sustain this travel for one year... not related to the 800,000 baht issue. Just being age 50 or above is the only real requirement.

This visa status is a legal basis for later applying for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement and is often used this way ... either early one in the one year term of this type of "O" visa or later in the 12 month term of this type "O" Visa - which can be extended to about 15 months total before apply for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I went through them quickly and need to go back and read again. I have been to Patts 8 times before and spent 4 months there this winter, so I am somewhat prepared for what is to come. I now have the 800000 in the bangkok bank, so that part is done. Though I was unaware of what kind of account it needs to be in. What is the difference between a current account and a deposit account? I opened a basic atm card type of account. Is that the type needed? I also have already opened a charles schwab account here in america and set that up for free atms in Patts. I have a thai girl in Patts that can help me on some other things if needed. I need to consider all of the visa options given. I can not go after my 50th birthday.

You account will do fine.

The rule is an account from which you can withdraw money, so no fixed deposites. Often it is advised to have two accounts, one where you park 800,000 baht against interest and another one for daily payment. That ensures a better interest and that you don't make mistakes with seasoning the money.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I went through them quickly and need to go back and read again. I have been to Patts 8 times before and spent 4 months there this winter, so I am somewhat prepared for what is to come. I now have the 800000 in the bangkok bank, so that part is done. Though I was unaware of what kind of account it needs to be in. What is the difference between a current account and a deposit account? I opened a basic atm card type of account. Is that the type needed? I also have already opened a charles schwab account here in america and set that up for free atms in Patts. I have a thai girl in Patts that can help me on some other things if needed. I need to consider all of the visa options given. I can not go after my 50th birthday.

A current account is what American's would call a checking account. I'm a bit surprised to hear it is not accepted by immigration, if that is in fact true. I do believe a current account can be difficult to open if you don't have a work permit in Thailand, so may not be of interest to you anyway.

The principle as I understood it was that the money had to be in an account from which it was immediately available (which a current or checking account would satisfy). It also couldn't be in an account in which the principal would be subject to market fluctuation (for example, a mutual fund).

I have successfully used a fixed-term deposit account on one occasion (earns higher interest rate, but withdrawal before the term ends results in no interest for the money withdrawn), and a regular savings (Krungsri Mee Tae Dai) account on another occasion to satisfy the 800,000 Baht retirement extension requirement. Both of these options were accepted by Phuket immigration.

It's likely from the fact that you have an ATM card that you possess a savings account of some sort at Bangkok Bank, which should be accepted by immigration for purposes of your retirement extension.

OP ... I read the various posts but it is not clear about your exact departure date. Seems you have some latitude about when you leave. You have not booked your flight yet - correct?

If at all possible, I suggest waiting until a day or so AFTER your 50th. Birthday... It will make things easier for you and give you many more options.

Here is my suggestion ... some like it --- some don't ...But there is a lot of common sense to it - based on experience. Book your flight to Thailand differently ... Take a flight from Ohio to Dallas, TX... stay one night in a modest priced hotel in the suburb city of Addison .. Next morning go to the Royal Thai Honorary Consul General's office in that immediate area. Get the Form for a Non Immigrant Visa... apply for a Non Immigrant 'O' Multi-Entry Visa... No real financial proof needed except a bank statement showing you have money enough to live in Thailand for one year. This is not related to the 800,000 Baht equivalent issue. No other requirements to get the Non Imm Multi 'O' ... none. Pay $200.00 get your Visa Sticker and be on your way back to the DFW Airport 30 minutes after arriving at the Consul Geneal's office. You can do this in one working day - not stay over night if you arrive in Dallas well before noon. Central Daylight Time in Dallas will make that easier.

Why Do This. It totally avoids doing anything about Immigration in Thailand for at least 70-75 days or even for many months if you choose. You can then establish a Thailand Bank Account and let the 800.000 Baht season for 60 days (First Application for Extension of Stay based on Retirement.

Also Why... In America you would be dealing with and American Honorary Consul General. It is a snap to get the Visa. I do not know of any regional restriction on using an Honorary Consul General ... And you cannot now use mail with a Honorary Consul General ... You can email - correspond with the this Honorary Consul General - even download the form and have it pre filled out.

If you book your Thailand Flight out of DFW Airport you have many options as to the route. While making the run to the Honorary Consul General's office - you can store or heavy baggage at the airport or pre-check your 'checked' baggage with your ticket for the next days or the evening flight you take.

I suggest you think about this ... you take my recommendation above and arrive in Thailand and only have to deal with finding a place to stay. No rush - no time constraints to deal with a foreign culture, customs, language ... no time box to have to deal with Immigration or a bank ... take take time choose your bank. You do not have to change Visas from Tourist Visa to a 90 Day Single Entry Non 'O'. You would already have a Non 'O' ... multi-entry. With my plan you would have No requirement to do anything in the first two or three weeks - and even within the first 90 days ... just breath and relax. On a Non Imm Multi-'O' if you do not apply for the Extension of Stay based on Retirement before the first 90 days runs out - then you make a border run and get a new 90 day permission to stay and the 90 day clock starts again. This can go on for a year or more. Making a few border runs is not that bad ... you travel a bit and see the country on your way out and back in.

I have the contact information for the Royal Thai Honorary Consul General's office in Dallas, Portland OR. and in Honolulu and will share upon request... There are others in America.

What ever you do -- don't come on a Exemption Entry... Exemption of 30 days for not having a pre bought Visa.

For JD: I would like to ask you to share the addresses/contact info for the smaller consulate generals. I am in Phoenix, AZ, right now. Last time I went to the Thai Consulate in L.A., for an O-A visa, while living in California. This time I am thinking about applying for an O visa, thinking about traveling a little before going back there.

Plan is to marry my g/f and then start a mission to get the visa's for her to come back to the U.S.A. with me.

P.S: I found your profile and tried to PM you but - maybe because I have cookies too much blocked, or else because I don't know how to use computers - I couldn't make it work. Unlike you I am a simple ex-grunt, with a case of P.T.S.D.

Cam on ong

Edited by Kondiao

For JD: I would like to ask you to share the addresses/contact info for the smaller consulate generals. I am in Phoenix, AZ, right now. Last time I went to the Thai Consulate in L.A., for an O-A visa, while living in California. This time I am thinking about applying for an O visa, thinking about traveling a little before going back there.

http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/honcon-americas.php

Edit: looks like the one in El Paso might be closest to you.

Edited by skatewash

The El Paso honorary consulate has been closed for years. That list is out of date.

This one dated January of this year from the embassy is up to date: http://www.thaiembassydc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HCG_Jan15.pdf

The one in Salt Lake City, Utah would probably be the closest one or perhaps Denver.

• Like 2

I now have the 800000 in the bangkok bank, so that part is done

Since the OP states that he already has 800,000 THB in a bank account here in Thailand, I hope that he understands that he must report this account to the Treasury Department in compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act commonly referred to as FBAR. You used to have until July to file the report but I don't know if it is now required when you file your taxes on April 15th since most tax software now includes the filing of the FBAR form

see:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Report-of-Foreign-Bank-and-Financial-Accounts-FBAR

If he has a pension that equals the 60,000 THB per month required for an extension of stay, using the pension method, he might want to consider that option in the future and not have the FBAR requirement hanging over his head annually

OP where are you in Ohio? I am in Cincinnati. I can retire next may at 55. I don't have any advice but just wish you luck and this has been helpful to me as well. I will be going thru this process this time next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Don't rely on any contact information for Royal Thai Honorary Consul General offices that is published on the Thai Embassy or Consulate websites ... It is very likely that information is out of date or just plain incorrect. Some of it is okay ...but you never know.

(Assembled from various updated sources) .... Complete listings at Thai Embassy D.C link below - but it is out of date)

Dallas, Texas:

The Honorable W. Forrest Smith

Honorary Consul General of Thailand

17855 Dallas Parkway, Suite 300

Dallas, TX 75287

Telephone: ... 972-250-6363 (Direct number to Mr. Smith 972-407-6528)

E-mail: [email protected]

(Near Frankford and Dallas Pky. Southwest corner --- exit Frankford make U-turn)

Note: This information for the Dallas office was current 15 Dec 2013

Mr. Smith may have retired and replaced by his daughter -- not confirmed.

Notice: this address from the Embassy Listings may in fact be the correct one.

This is the THIRD different address / contact infor in the last 4 years..

DALLAS, TX

TEXAS (Dallas) ROYAL THAI HONORARY CONSULATE-GENERAL

5301 Spring Valley Road, Suite 200 Dallas, TX 75254

Tel: 972-788-1400 Fax: 972-788-2667 Direct 972-450-7342

E-mail: [email protected] Honorary Consul-General,

MR. W. FORREST SMITH

Portland, Oregon:

http://www.thai-or.com/

Royal Thai Honorary Consulate General

Nicholas J. Stanley, Honorary Consul General

The Maytag Building

1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210

Portland, Oregon 97209 U.S.A.

Phone: 503-221-0440

Fax: 503-221-0550

Mary Wheeler - Consular Assistant

Email: [email protected]

Visa Application Form

http://static.squarespace.com/static/50fca9e7e4b000014e7b1e8a/t/526842b0e4b0b1f7d8085569/1382564528668/Visa%20Application.pdf

Honolulu, Hawaii:

Royal Thai Consulate General

1035 Kikowaena Place

Honolulu, Hawaii 96819-5386

PHONE: 808.524.7787

FAX: 808.523.0044

Honorary Consul General Colin T. Miyabara

EMAIL: [email protected]

(Mrs. Susan) (July 1, 1992)

Houston Texas

The Honorable Charles C. Foster (I do not know if this is correct)

Honorary Consul General of Thailand

600 Travis Street, Suite 2000

Houston, TX 77002

Telephone: 713-335-3907

Fax: 713-228-1303

America--- Thai Embassy website in D.C. (many/most listings not up to date)

http://www.thaiembassydc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HCG_Jan15.pdf

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

OP where are you in Ohio? I am in Cincinnati. I can retire next may at 55. I don't have any advice but just wish you luck and this has been helpful to me as well. I will be going thru this process this time next year.

Well, small world. I am in Cincinnati as well. West Chester area to be exact, 30 minutes from Cincy. Nice to know a neighbor will be coming as well. Hope we can keep in touch and share a beer/coke when you get to pattaya. This was my first trip alone to Patts this winter and met lots of guys to share their experiences. Even though I was somewhat prepared going to Patts, being my first time without a wife, was a roller coaster of a time. I hope to settle in with a balanced life. I will keep in touch concerning visa issues and how that goes for me.

Bobby

• Like 1

I did the conversion from a tourist visa to a non O Retirement visa earlier this year. Just a few points.

*Bangkok immigration was a very professional operation and easy to deal with. It is a pain to get there, even starting from downtown Bangkok.

*Yes, it takes two trips. Turn in your application, come back two weeks later to get your passport stamped with the visa.

*Did the monthly income affidavit and was not asked for supporting documents.

*When I did the extension at Jomtien immigration, I was asked for proof of my address. I had my lease. The fact it expired in two weeks was not a problem.

EDIT: When I do a temporary forwarding order with USPS to have my mail sent to a UPS box, the USPS computer immediately recognizes the address as being that of a commercial mail facility. I have to think commercial entities can do the same thing.

Edited by nkped

Good luck OP! I live in Ft. Thomas. I plan to check out Pattaya in July. I have been to LOS 10 or 12 times but haven't made it to Patts yet. I can't seem to get much further than Nana lol. Well I am happy to have someone to watch reds and bengals games with!

I know it will be a hassle to do the bangkok trips, but I think I will just arrive on a tourist visa for 30 days and go from there. I just completed putting the 800000+ in my account, so that shouldnt be an issue. I will be signing an apartment lease quickly upon arriving. I hope to have a thai girl tag along with me for needed help at bangkok immigration. So is it pretty much a sure thing that having the 1 way ticket never causes an issue for anyone?

You will likely (but not definitely) have an issue boarding the airplane in the U.S. with a one way ticket, no visa, and no air ticket out within 30 days. The agents would not be doing their job if they don't challenge you on that. In your case, the wise thing would be to buy a "throwaway" cheap one way ticket to Malaysia to present if/when challenged and that should be accepted. Of course if you buy that and you don't get challenged, you'll likely complain this is bad advice. So ... up to you.

As far as your conversion process to an O visa in Thailand, on a 30 day be sure to start that process as early as possible on your stay or it might be rejected on that basis. Also I would suggest checking with Jomtien first on their current policy to see if they will now either process the conversion application themselves again or send it to Bangkok for you. It would be silly to go to Bangkok in that case.

Again, I would suggest you get a tourist visa in the U.S. instead of arriving on a 30 day stamp. Then you have more time and also no issue with boarding. But ... up to you.

To add, I assume you have checked airfares and found a one way cheaper than a round trip. In case not, then you could just buy the round trip and not use the return.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You will likely (but not definitely) have an issue boarding the airplane in the U.S. with a one way ticket, no visa, and no air ticket out within 30 days. The agents would not be doing their job if they don't challenge you on that. In your case, the wise thing would be to buy a "throwaway" cheap one way ticket to Malaysia to present if/when challenged and that should be accepted. Of course if you buy that and you don't get challenged, you'll likely complain this is bad advice. So ... up to you.

As far as your conversion process to an O visa in Thailand, on a 30 day be sure to start that process as early as possible on your stay or it might be rejected on that basis. Also I would suggest checking with Jomtien first on their current policy to see if they will now either process the conversion application themselves again or send it to Bangkok for you. It would be silly to go to Bangkok in that case.

Again, I would suggest you get a tourist visa in the U.S. instead of arriving on a 30 day stamp. Then you have more time and also no issue with boarding. But ... up to you.

To add, I assume you have checked airfares and found a one way cheaper than a round trip. In case not, then you could just buy the round trip and not use the return.

I will take your advice and be safe and get the tourist visa here for 60 days. I will make sure I keep updated on jomtien. I booked 1 way, using miles, so only pay taxes. I may actually move up my date to return to early July, as I feel I am ahead of schedule of tying up all loose ends here in America. Not returning to USA until sept-oct 2016 is the early plan.

• 2 months later...

The last I heard is that Jomtien will accept conversion applications (from tourist to O) but that they will be sent to Bangkok and every detail in the application must be in perfect order. It takes some time to get that done so I assume you would get that started as soon as possible and in YOUR CASE, I think that would be as soon as you turn 50. LATER when you've got your passport back with the O visa (good for a 90 day stay) then you would apply for your first annual extension based on retirement at Jomtien during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay ... nothing to gain by waiting until the last days of that stay.

Based on your time and assuming Jomtien is really doing it this way, via Bangkok, I assume you PROBABLY have enough time to get your passport back starting at your birthday, but I'm not sure exactly how long the process takes via Bangkok, so you would need to ask at Jomtien when you come in for the conversion application. Worse case, you could still go to Bangkok directly and do it quicker.

Edited by Jingthing

I am now arrived here on july 6, on a 60 day tourist visa. I turn 50 on july 29. Any updates on best time to begin process and at which office is required at this time, jomtien or bangkok?

You can apply for a change of visa status at immigration in Jomtien to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You can do it on your birthday if you want to but no later than the last 15 days of your 60 day entry, It will take 15 to 20 days to get visa/entry stamp when Bangkok approves your application,

You will need to show the financial poof needed for the extension of stay application but the 800k baht only needs to be in the bank on the date you apply (no 60 days needed).

Reports are that Jomtien is accepting the extension application on the same day they do the visa/entry stamps if you have the money in the bank for 60 days or are using the 65k baht income option or can meet the 800 baht combination of the 2 option.

If you were to go to Bangkok now they will turn you away and tell you to go Jomtien.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Change of visa status form to apply for a non immigrant visa if you have a tourist visa. Doc format http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm86.doc PDF: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm86.pdf Print form 2 sided.

After you have the visa/entry stamps a TM7 form is used for the extension of stay application.. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc or http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf