what's the cost of thai food?

slippery when wet

There are so many factors into pricing that makes it hard to give an estimate but roughly for a family of 3-4 you would be in the range of 12-15k baht a month. Hua Hin is a lot more expensive than CM.

If you have lived in Thailand for 5 years, you know the general cost of what you used to spend. Add about 30% to that. A simple Thai meal 10+ years ago was 25-30 baht, now they are 35-40 baht at the same shop. My favorite beef noodle shop in CM used to be 35 baht now it is 50 baht. Produce at the markets are about 30% more than they used to be.

Restaurents:

Whole fish 270B

Tom Yang Kung 150B

Frield green veg 80B

rice 10B

Roadside:

Chicken and Rice 40B

A Thai dish over rice 40B

Noodle with meat balls 40B

Market:

Whole fish 100B

Shrimps 250B/kg

Chicken 80B/kg

pork 160b/kg

beef 260b/kg

Green veg 40B/kg

Tourist areas and cities are more expensive, outside of that shold be cheaper. Prices varies.

if any smart guy found my number not agrreeable please understand I am not trying to pull your leg,

no need to call me a liar...just some numbers based on my observation..

Inflation is terrible in Thaland ,4 years ago sliced ham was 180B/kg it is now 285,

I remember 7 years ago when pork went up from 80B to 100B/kg there were a lot of complains, but it is now 160B

Minimal cost would be

4 people x 40 baht x 3 meals x 30 days = 14400 baht for basic roadside food.

I think that's a bit optimistic. A 40 baht plate of rice and topping isn't really going to be enough to fill up the growing children. (Even the adults may find it inadequate.)

And if you're eating basic roadside food you need to add on the medical expenses for treating the inevitable food poisoning.

"And if you're eating basic roadside food you need to add on the medical expenses for treating the inevitable food poisoning"

another helpful post by AYG.

What would we do without him.

I've been quoted a monthly cost of food as 27000 baht by a thai national. This seems extremely expensive just for food as I pay half that in the uk

With the crap food surely you need less money. Saving additional as you wouldn't get very old.

I estimate that I easily need 300 Baht per day if I cook myself. Good meat is expensive, some organic vegetables, a little bit of sausage.

Not including the drinks, beer is expensive here. A large bottle Carlsberg is like 75-79 Baht (Carlsberg because from the Thai brands I get terrible headache).

27,000 Baht is way over the top unless you are eating out a lot at restaurants.

The above point about inflation is totally valid,, 3 years ago I would buy beef tenderloin at the market for 150 Baht, now over 250 Baht.

If you wish to live like Thais you will be having 2 or 3 rice meals a day supplemented with meat or fish/seafood.

I would have thought that half the above figure would be adequate - depending what and how you want to eat. If you are coming here on a budget you can easily cut your cloth to match it. Planning and producing your own meals is key to success.

Remember, there are many Thais earning less than 9,000 Baht a month who eat quite adequately.