Looking for a three wheeled motorcycle

Becker

I'm not talking about the standard side car "samlor" type, but an ordinary motorcycle (like a Honda Wave or PXC) with an extended rear axle with two wheels. Does anyone know how to obtain one of these in the Pattaya area?

I'm looking for a three wheeled motorbike, and not the usual sidecar/samlor variety. What I'm looking for is a bike (e.g. Honda Wave or PCX) that has had an extended rear axle fitted with two wheels.

Does anyone know where I can buy/order this - preferably in the Pattaya area?

"Does anyone know how to obtain one of these in the Pattaya area?" Yes, I know how to get one. But it will have 2 wheels at the front and one at the back. Is that a problem?

The only bike of that sort is the Yahama TriCity ... a classy machine... 2 back wheels would not be stable on turns in my opinion. The TriCity front wheels turn and camber a little (tilt) on turns to create stability ... the bike will almost stand steady - balanced with a person on it and no feet or kick stand down

Google image TriCity Yahama

Edited by JDGRUEN

The OP is obviously talking about a modified bike for disabled person. A Yamaha tricity will not suit his needs.

You could go have a talk with Roadmachine on 3rd road, next to the the Pattaya city hospital, or the big bike shop on Sukhumvit opposite Tesco south pattaya, since they can point you in the right direction who can modify one for you.

Go see Rudy at Mai Thai on Soi Bukhao and he can convert any bike for you, though he is not the cheapest.https://www.facebook.com/maithaimotorbikes?fref=ts

Have another guy on Theaparsit Road, called Oziemoto.https://www.facebook.com/ozimoto?fref=ts

I would also try Toms shop on Theapparsit road, inside MP gas station, ( he would be the cheaper one ) but not too sure if he can or will do.

Edited by konying

As mentioned in other posts, I have seen Mai Thai do this a few times. But yes, they are very expensive. One time I needed some work done after 5pm, and they just had kids fixing everything with a hammer. Only shop that I know of that has 6,000 baht grips for your bike. I pay 150 baht. I love the looks and engineering that has gone into the Yamaha 3 wheeler. Looks very stable, but just my opinion.

Thanks for the tips. I know about the Yamaha Tricity but I need something even more stable for the wife, who has a bad leg. I will ask in the shops you have suggested but am worried that the bike does not handle well - especially in turns..
Some even say they're (the ones with the extended rear axle) downright dangerous to drive?

Seen one (looked like a really good job) not, I'm afraid in the Pattaya area - 'twas in Hua Hin, parked up on the road that leads to the beach (continuation of the road with police station, Mac's & Burger King in) about six weeks ago - I tried to find the rider but couldn't - it was a Honda Wave - two wheels at the back - so good that if I didn't know Honda didn't do them, I'd of thought it a factory produced model!

Good luck - it can be done & they are out there - sorry I can't be of any real help.

Edited by piersbeckett

Thanks for the tips. I know about the Yamaha Tricity but I need something even more stable for the wife, who has a bad leg. I will ask in the shops you have suggested but am worried that the bike does not handle well - especially in turns..
Some even say they're (the ones with the extended rear axle) downright dangerous to drive?

The 2 shops i mentioned, they specialize in this, so i do not think you will have any problems with handling or turns.

The cheaper ones may not be balances, but these 2 shops do everything right to make sure its 100%

There is an old guy here in Ao Nang - late 80's ... he had his motorbike altered with to fairly light weight training wheels attached ... the whole thing could not have cost 4000 Baht ... It worked quite well...

Ozimoto looks like a place I will visit when returning to check their prices. Now for the all important question; will I be able to get number plates for a rebuilt, 3-wheeled Honda Wave?

Edited by Becker

EZ

Get a doctor's note @ the wife.

~100baht...

you're in.

Surely the authorities have to have more than a note from the doctor to issue number plates for a rebuilt vehicle?

OP --- a further suggestion ... to expand on my idea of training wheels.... consider this... training wheels on bicycles normally do not actually touch the ground except when leaning a little to one side or the other. And the the height is adjustable.

A shop fabricated set of training wheels - made height adjustable - should be able to be made with sturdy materials and wheels/tires for a modest sum. Attach - bolt these to a new off the shelf Yahama TriCity and you have 4 wheel stability when leaning slightly left or right.. But when riding along the training wheels do not touch the road... only when stopping or otherwise leaning slightly ... no hindrance to forward motion. When moving such a motorcycle almost balances itself ... with forward wheel motion.

Advantages -- you would have an off the shelf motorcycle - with removable training wheels ... returning the bike to original condition for better value at resale ... Not a custom made expensive fabrication to add permanent wheels.

Another thing to try is searching the Classifieds for a Honda Gyro.

honda_gyro.jpg

See a lot of them in OLX.com (now has a different name) and Bahtsold.com

They can be found a lot cheaper than (I suspect) any custom you may have made. I see quite a few of them scooting around BKK, but I don't know if they're legal.

Picture source: http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/misc/144/

EZ

~100baht...

you're in.

Surely the authorities have to have more than a note from the doctor to issue number plates for a rebuilt vehicle?

I was thinking the bike would already have a plate/book, but the mods would need to be registered.?

EZ

~100baht...

you're in.

I was thinking the bike would already have a plate/book, but the mods would need to be registered.?

If I convert a 2 wheeled vehicle into a 3 wheeled vehicle it just makes sense to me that I would have to re-register the vehicle, but I might be wrong?

The big Mityon dealer on Thepprasit sells these three-wheelers.

They come with a genuine rear axle with a differential and a cargo area, which should be perfect, if your wife does regular shopping at Makro.

post-158247-0-47529000-1364697626.jpg

wink.png

Thanks, not really what I was after, but I will let my neighbor know about this vehicle since his wife sometimes seems to struggle when she drives him home after one of his (frequent) nights out with the boysbiggrin.png

Edited by Becker