Lack of funds, knowledge hampering construction of quake-resistant buildings

webfact

Lack of funds, knowledge hampering construction of quake-resistant buildings
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION

30259102-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- WITH LOW compensation from the government and a lack of engineers with the knowledge to build earthquake-resistant buildings, residents of Moo 7 Dong Mada in Chiang Rai's Mae Lao district are still at a risk after they were hit by a 6.3-magnitude quake on May 5 last year.

A visit to the village yesterday showed that repair and rebuilding work in the village had progressed to almost 90 per cent. There were only a few marks left to indicate last year's earthquake, which had caused severe damage.

Srijan Jareunkarn, whose home had to be completely rebuilt, said, "The cost of rebuilding my home was Bt1.3 million, but I only got a total of Bt53,000 in compensation from Tambon Dong Mada Municipality and donations."

She added that she had to borrow the rest of the money from a local cooperative, because she only earned a living selling food. Though her new house was built using the same blueprint as the destroyed house, it has a stronger, reinforced foundation, she said.

Village headman Sanong Wannaraj said the government aid was granted as per the municipality committee's recommendations.

"The municipality engineering teams surveyed damages in each house and passed the information on to the committee. The compensation was based on the destruction done to the house, which ranged from a few hundred to several thousand in case a house had to be rebuild," he said.

Sanong said he had received Bt500 for broken windows but decided not to replace them because he was worried the earthquake may occur again.

"Many people in my village still fear the earthquake. Almost all 281 houses in the village suffered damage, 173 houses were damaged severely, while seven were reduced to ruins," he said.

"Nearly every household in the village was compensated."

However, the scarcity funds are hampering efforts to build earthquake-proof houses as they cost more.

"The budget problem caused villagers to build or repair their houses based on what they could afford. Constructing a house that can withstand an earthquake is out of reach for most villagers," Dr Paiboon Panyakapo, a design expert on quake-proof buildings from Sripatum University, said.

Even though most of the houses have been repaired, Paiboon revealed that very few will be able to survive another earthquake because engineers and builders who do not have sufficient knowledge repaired them.

He explained that the earthquake damaged many houses because they had not been planned properly and if the rebuilding is done along the same standards, then the result of the next quake will be the same.

This confirms an earlier statement from Dr Pennung Warnitchai, a lecturer at Asia Institute of Technology, about the lack of experienced engineers.

He has advised that the subject of quake-resistant buildings should be added to the curriculum |for bachelor's degrees in engineering.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Lack-of-funds-knowledge-hampering-construction-of--30259102.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-01

Or even go online and search for free the information you need on earthquake proofing it is there and free. Just use the term California earthquake proof standards. My house was right next to fault line in the big one and it only had foundation crack which was repaired after quake.

Edited by Strangebrew
  • Like 2

It doesn't cost much to make a house earthquake resistant. It's a matter of knowing how.

FWIW this is a place where many farang expats with building experience could help with no cost at all. Just ask. As Strangebrew indicated, every building built in California and many other places is earthquake resistant. It's not a collection of secrets and one doesn't have to be a civil engineer. Most people in the building trades apply that knowledge every day and have to get their work passed by building inspectors.

You don't even have to go as far as California to look at building designs for earthquake readiness. Taiwan, Japan and the Philippines are all located in the Ring of Fire where earthquakes is a part of life. I cringe whenever I see a warehouse with ridiculously skinny posts are being constructed. Same goes for homes and apartment buildings built in what I think are specs that do not account for earthquakes. The killer here is not the knowledge but the haste and feeling of invulnerability.

Edited by toybits

I noticed in most construction here there is no header board in door ways or windows.

For bricks and blocks, a concrete lintel is used. But the Thais do not use any. They build directly onto the frames of doors and windows.

"He has advised that the subject of quake-resistant buildings should be added to the curriculum for bachelor's degrees in engineering."

That's nice, but don't you first have to hire structural engineers who have training in places like Japan, California and Chile so that you have a pool of instructors who actually understand earthquake-proofing? Or, will it be like the entire Thai educational system, the blind leading the blind?

I noticed in most construction here there is no header board in door ways or windows.

Nearly all buildings here are concrete and block construction....usually there is a concrete lintel poured insitu with the door frame........

Timber framed houses have very light roofs.....so often don't require a timber lintel....although good practice would be to install one

Firstly the tec know how is out there , there are sections of Western OZ where you can only construct earthquake buildings and before you build the local town planning must pass the design and the are area's that all new dwellings have to be cyclone proof , the hard part is that the cost is around double of an ordinary house.coffee1.gif

Even with existing buildings it is not too difficult to add some proofing systems, says my California experience.

I tried to apply it in my own structures, which was very difficult because the workers refused to listen to me. Farang not know Thailand !

One even told me to go take a hike when I suggested he do a certain thing my way.

Houses will continue to collapse during eartquakes, no matter our expertise which is not appreciated. After 6 years of building here there are no requests for any kind of (free) assistance.

Off topic (but to do with the raise of min. wage to 360).: neither is anybody around here interested in part time work, like a contract for 2 days a week doing upkeeping of land and buildings.

From what I have seen being bulld and the few places I have lived in in Thailand, IMO builders make things as cheaply as possible and very little emphasis is given to safety and ensure a safe long lasting building. It is like they are putting lego blocks together with little care or effort into it.

As far as Thailand lacking quailified engineers ... well that comes as no surprise

• Like 1

Reinventing the wheel once more. All earthquake standards, engineering and regulations were written and available to the public as of 40 years ago. Earthquake central, California, has all the facts and data. Grab and translate.

But to simplify, there is these thingys us engineers call 'SHEAR WALLS'. Learn them, use them, love them. They are built in Thailand only by accident. Without shear walls... does the term 'house of cards' ring any bells?

This is forehead flattening. I or any engineer could teach Moment Of Inertia to every person who has ever visited ThaiVisa to the degree of constructing an earthquake safe residence in a couple of weeks.

142fec64c4890441ca5520dd83fea0ff.png

Edited by The Snark
  • Like 1

I just wonder ... if Thailand has a huge earthquake will Thai customs stop all aid from entering Thailand without paying tax on relief tiems? That's what happened in Nepal. Saw a communique from a relief worker who couldn't get in from India because of taxation on the relief items.

Reinventing the wheel once more. All earthquake standards, engineering and regulations were written and available to the public as of 40 years ago. Earthquake central, California, has all the facts and data. Grab and translate.

But to simplify, there is these thingys us engineers call 'SHEAR WALLS'. Learn them, use them, love them. They are built in Thailand only by accident. Without shear walls... does the term 'house of cards' ring any bells?

This is forehead flattening. I or any engineer could teach Moment Of Inertia to every person who has ever visited ThaiVisa to the degree of constructing an earthquake safe residence in a couple of weeks.

Not by accident. Shear walls are used here to reinforce buildings against wind force.

Didn't we heard from officials few days ago that Thailand building will be fine during major earth quick. I guess you have to dismiss official and no official data in Thailand and hope for the best. But remember Murphy's Law

Everything that has been built or rebuilt in Chiang Rai has been built to the same standards it was previously....low standards. Can't expect much more when the 'tradesmen' are out of season farm workers who could never be described as 'Builders'.

Just wait until the next bone shaker and see them all come down again.

Well if you spend a few thousand baht for a blueprint for a standard home and foundation in California you would be light years from where you are now.

As a native Southern California, I believe this would be good advice. The trick would be to find a 'contractor' willing to build to standard.

Even with existing buildings it is not too difficult to add some proofing systems, says my California experience.

I tried to apply it in my own structures, which was very difficult because the workers refused to listen to me. Farang not know Thailand !

One even told me to go take a hike when I suggested he do a certain thing my way.

Houses will continue to collapse during eartquakes, no matter our expertise which is not appreciated. After 6 years of building here there are no requests for any kind of (free) assistance.

Off topic (but to do with the raise of min. wage to 360).: neither is anybody around here interested in part time work, like a contract for 2 days a week doing upkeeping of land and buildings.

If you were the one paying the freight, i hope you managed to inform him which one of the two of you was going to be taking a hike down the road.

Not by accident. Shear walls are used here to reinforce buildings against wind force.

Incidental, not integral. Most brick and stucco walls are just glorified sight screens. There's a world of difference between wind gusts and a significant lateral seismic shift. As for structure, just finding workers that know what an impactor is... Not that I am advocating the (EXPLETIVES DELETED) 15 inspections to build a house in Pasadena, but simply using an impactor, continuous pours, integrated structural members and some preloading would be miles ahead of what they have now.

Edited by The Snark

Site name="wabothai" post="9360042" timestamp="1430453090"]

Nobody interested in work here period. Had some locals approach my wife about borrowing money. I offered a job (1 or 2 days) to do some odd jobs around the property. All good.

Showed up (late) and wanted the money first before work. Wifey told them they must complete the job before getting paid. They turned around and left. Still see them 8 months on, unemployed, blasted on lao khao by noon, grooming their fighting cocks and mooching off their relatives who have jobs and provide them a place to stay. Amazing.

I not sure the second moment of area of a cuboid would be a typical formula used in many construction, nor the requirement to identify the longest possible diagonal to locate the neutral axis.

Of course a sheer wall can also be used for lateral restraint against wind generated velocity pressure as both it and lateral bracing serve the same function. The main difference is a sheer wall is fully engaged perpendicular to and for the full wall height and floor length and bracing generally connect from the top of the wall plate to the bottom wall plate at a distance.

Stiffness provided by a sheer wall is not necessarily superior to well designed bracing when subject to horizontal acceleration forces.

In any case determining the moment of inertia or second moment of area is the easy part. The difficult part will be teaching them to calculate bending moments, allowable extreme fibre stresses, service and safety factors and limitations or properties of materials to be used and how incorrect handling reduces the ultimate strength and changes the elastic performance limits.

And I should add from what I have seen, a course in acceptable slenderness ratios of columns and proper connection detailing would also be a great start.

Edited by Reigntax

Site name="wabothai" post="9360042" timestamp="1430453090"]

Nobody interested in work here period. Had some locals approach my wife about borrowing money. I offered a job (1 or 2 days) to do some odd jobs around the property. All good.

Showed up (late) and wanted the money first before work. Wifey told them they must complete the job before getting paid. They turned around and left. Still see them 8 months on, unemployed, blasted on lao khao by noon, grooming their fighting cocks and mooching off their relatives who have jobs and provide them a place to stay. Amazing.

They are awaiting the next protest rally where they get to sit in a crowd with Lao Khao and still get paid.

I am stunned that the engineering course in Thai universities does not include earthquake design. God help Bangkok when there is a decent earthquake. There has already been minor ones that can be felt. Every engineering course in the world includes it in their course. As for earthquake designed houses, this is simple and not expensive. The problem in Thailand is the woeful standard of workmanship and the lack of of basic building knowledge. There is also a greed and corruption element in it all. Watering down concrete and mortar to make it easier to work. Removing the designed reinforcing to make more money. Reducing the required cement ratio, again to make money. Last but not least, paying building inspectors to look the other way.

retired architect