VFS Different Services

Hello

I hope that somebody who has used the VFS to apply for a visa recently can help me with this.

We are now applying for my partner's UK Fiance/Settlement visa. We are using a local visa agent to do the application for us but I believe they are confused about the services that the VFS is offering. When booking the appointment for us they have selected a "Premium Service" which they say I have to pay to the VFS when submitting the paperwork of 8,600 baht. However I can find no such price on the VFS website. The VFS website states that they offer a VIP Premium Lounge service for 3,000 baht and they offer a Priority Service for 5,600 to process the visa in 3 to 5 days, so I assumed that the visa shop is combining the two and getting a Priority Service to make the visa and we will use the VIP Premium Lounge when we submit the paperwork to the VFS, but they said no, the 8,600 baht is for a "Premium Service" which just means that the visa process takes 1 month instead of 2 months.

So this is why I am confused. The options the visa shop originally gave me was;

Standard - no extra charge and visa process could take up to 2 months

Prime - 5,600 baht and visa process could take 1 month

Premium - 8,600 and visa process could take 1 month.

No mention of a Priority option.

Again this makes no sense as they couldn't distinguish between the Prime and the Premium service for me. The Prime Service is supposed to be for appointments made between 08:30am to midday according to the website. They insisted that a previous customer used this 8,600 baht Premium Service a couple of months ago and the visa took 1 month to make.

So the dilemma I have is this; we plan to move to the UK on 30th June, I am working until the 23rd June. When the visa is processed and returned the new rule is that you have 30 days to enter the UK or the visa is expired. So given this circumstance I don't want to make the visa too quickly so that the 30 days expires before 25th to 30th June before we can get to the UK, and I don't want to make the visa so it comes back too late and we have no time to move before I go back to work again at the beginning of August.

Can anyone advise on the turnaround times of the standard service and the priority service?

When you make the application at the VFS can you tell them the day you wish to travel and they make the visa so that it fits in with that date?

Is there a 8,600 baht Premium Service??

Oh, and one more thing I just found out that we've been lucky enough to be a part of; this new health insurance that just started for £600 that we apparently now need to apply for this fiance visa. What and how??

Thanks in advance.

I'd be worried too. A settlement visa can take up to three months to process and occasionally, if the applicant is unlucky, even longer.

It speaks volumes of the agent's abilities, or lack of, that you are having to research the above points yourself.

Good luck as I fear you'll both need it with this particular agent.

• Like 1

Well of course I am concerned which is why I created this thread.

We've used this agent twice before to do the 6 month UK tourist visa and their service was fine.

So has anyone here gone through the process and how long did it take to get the visa after submitting it?

I'm assuming that the agent has only booked the VIP Premium Lounge service which will cost us 3,000 baht. I think she has got her wires crossed about the 8,600 baht fee.

When you make the application at the VFS can you tell them the day you wish to travel and they make the visa so that it fits in with that date?

I'm more worried that if we submit the application on 11th that it comes back in 2 weeks and then we would have to enter the UK by the 23rd June or the whole visa is void and we have to start all over again.

When I applied for a settlement visa for my wife and step daughter late February we got the visa within 3 weeks but it might be taking a bit longer now as student numbers might be increasing. That was under the old system and I was able to post date the visa for 3 months and then I have another 3 months to get to the UK. Under the new system the assumption is that there is still the ability to post date the visa for up to 3 months but you do need to make this request very obvious when you apply as there are posts on this forum of requests being missed. The new system does make it very difficult to plan such a major life change.

When I applied for a settlement visa for my wife and step daughter late February we got the visa within 3 weeks but it might be taking a bit longer now as student numbers might be increasing. That was under the old system and I was able to post date the visa for 3 months and then I have another 3 months to get to the UK. Under the new system the assumption is that there is still the ability to post date the visa for up to 3 months but you do need to make this request very obvious when you apply as there are posts on this forum of requests being missed. The new system does make it very difficult to plan such a major life change.

Thank you for this reply. So we are able to state the date we plan to enter the UK in case the visa is issued 30 days prior to our planned date. This is what the visa shop had told us but, for obvious reasons, I wanted to check.

And I agree, the new system makes it difficult to plan this big life change when we are told that the visa should be issued within 60 days and you have to enter the UK 30 days after that and then marry within 6 months after that, especially with short windows for school and work needing to coincide with the move.

I'm more worried that if we submit the application on 11th that it comes back in 2 weeks and then we would have to enter the UK by the 23rd June or the whole visa is void and we have to start all over again.

VFS play absolutely no part in the decision making process, so whatever you tell them will have absolutely no effect.

All decisions are made by Entry Clearance Officers at the embassy, who are employees of UK Visas and Immigration, an agency of the Home Office.

As said above, at busy times a settlement application can take up to three months to be processed. The latest figures for Bangkok (for decisions made in March) show that 90% were processed in 15 working days, 98% in 30; but past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Once the visa is issued, the holder has 30 days in which to travel to the UK. If they don't, they wont have to start the whole process all over again, but will have to apply, and pay, for a new visa vignette; see this topic.

You can ask in the application that the start date be post dated for up to three months, but should also make this clear in your sponsor's letter as well. If you do this, check the date immediately the passport is received back. This request can be missed, and mistakes cannot be rectified later.

Thank you for this helpful reply.

KunMatt the 3 month post dating is addressed in this post The new UK visa process for settlement applications . I don't know whether anyone has recent experience of this happening. As 7by7 says it is the ECO who makes the decision so the request to post date has to be made in the application and I cannot stress enough to, as we have both said above, make it absolutely clear as to the date you want the visa to start. Having said that I had absolutely no problem with the post dating but I was very worried until I actually saw the visa.

KunMatt the 3 month post dating is addressed in this post The new UK visa process for settlement applications . I don't know whether anyone has recent experience of this happening. As 7by7 says it is the ECO who makes the decision so the request to post date has to be made in the application and I cannot stress enough to, as we have both said above, make it absolutely clear as to the date you want the visa to start. Having said that I had absolutely no problem with the post dating but I was very worried until I actually saw the visa.

Well we have already submitted the online application yesterday. My sponsor letter did state the date we plan to travel one time but it wasn't emphasised and overstated.

If 98% of applications are completed in 30 days and we want to travel at the end of June then we should probably rebook the appointment to submit the paperwork on the 20th May, right? Better slightly late than too early.

As said, stress the date you want the visa to start in your sponsor's letter, which should be submitted with the hard copy of the application form and other supporting documents when she attends her appointment. Maybe even make a separate request as well.

Remember, the figures I linked to and quoted from are for decisions made in March; there is no guarantee that an applicatio0n submitted now will be processed as quickly; it depends purely on how busy they are. May is getting close to the influx of student applications; submit at the end of May and you may not get a decision until August!

As long as the ECO sees your requested start date and that date is no more than 3 months ahead, then the visa should be dated from that date.

But, as said, check it as soon as received, and if wrong go back to have it corrected.

• Like 1

As said, stress the date you want the visa to start in your sponsor's letter, which should be submitted with the hard copy of the application form and other supporting documents when she attends her appointment. Maybe even make a separate request as well.

Remember, the figures I linked to and quoted from are for decisions made in March; there is no guarantee that an applicatio0n submitted now will be processed as quickly; it depends purely on how busy they are. May is getting close to the influx of student applications; submit at the end of May and you may not get a decision until August!

As long as the ECO sees your requested start date and that date is no more than 3 months ahead, then the visa should be dated from that date.

But, as said, check it as soon as received, and if wrong go back to have it corrected.

Understood. Thanks again for the info.

So as for my other question about the mandatory health insurance which we now need to buy for the application. For the fiance visa that we plan to change in a Spouse Visa, we need to buy 2.5 years at £200 a year, right?

So as for my other question about the mandatory health insurance which we now need to buy for the application. For the fiance visa that we plan to change in a Spouse Visa, we need to buy 2.5 years at £200 a year, right?

Yes she will, and will need to purchase again at the FLR stage even if she is working and paying UK tax and making NI contributions in her own right.

Unfortunately the charge has to be paid in US$, as is the visa application fee, at a rate that's weighed heavily in favour of the UKVI, there are reports that people are paying considerably more that the £500 charge quoted.

• Like 1

Yes she will, and will need to purchase again at the FLR stage even if she is working and paying UK tax and making NI contributions in her own right.

Unfortunately the charge has to be paid in US$, as is the visa application fee, at a rate that's weighed heavily in favour of the UKVI, there are reports that people are paying considerably more that the £500 charge quoted.

Ok, that's how I understood it. Sucks that they just started to do this and the 30 day entry rule just when we apply to get the visa after all these years the month but that's just the way it is

To put this £500 for 2.5 years into perspective to make myself feel a bit better about it; a few years ago on one of our visits to the UK we found out we were pregnant so we went to the NHS walk in centre which cost us £45 and the doctor suspected an ectopic pregnancy, 2 ultrasounds at the hospital then cost me £500 which I was happy to pay just to find out everything was OK with the baby. I also pay a fortune to use Bumrungrad private hospital for all of us when we are in Thailand. As far as I am concerned they should have been enforcing this health insurance years ago before the mass immigration to the UK began so I have no reason to complain that now I have to pay it for my foreign partner at this stage. I understand it would be different if your wife starts working and paying tax into the UK however.

• Like 1

I think there may be a slight misunderstanding here. As I understand it the NHS surcharges are :-

1. £600 for the initial settlement visa of 2 years 9 months. This is payable in USD. So therefore HMG makes an additional 3 months surcharge from nowhere + c.8% on the USD/£ exchange rate ripoff!

2. £500 for subsequent FLRs of 2 years 6 months payable in sterling.

3. No surcharge when applying for ILR or citizenship.

I think there may be a slight misunderstanding here. As I understand it the NHS surcharges are :-

1. £600 for the initial settlement visa

of 2 years 9 months. This is payable in USD. So therefore HMG makes an additional 3 months surcharge from nowhere + c.8% on the USD/£ exchange rate ripoff!

2. £500 for subsequent FLRs of 2 years 6 months payable in sterling.

3. No surcharge when applying for ILR or citizenship.

So right now we are applying for a fiance visa that we will change into a Spouse Visa after marriage. So I need to pay £600 quid now before submitting the fiance visa application in Bangkok?

I thought that's what I said durhamboy?

£500 with the initial application, or as you rightly say £600, and then a further £500 at the FLR stage.

These fees still need to be paid even if the applicant is contributing to the pot via general taxation or NI contributions, or indeed has purchased full medical insurance.

So right now we are applying for a fiance visa that we will change into a Spouse Visa after marriage. So I need to pay £600 quid now before submitting the fiance visa application in Bangkok?

You pay online as part of the application process.

The fee is actually £500 but because of the way they charge you, you will actually pay nearer £600.

• Like 1

The fee is actually £500 but because of the way they charge you, you will actually pay nearer £600.

I'm actually not so sure now, having just noticed that you're applying for a Finance Visa, which is issued for six months and after the marriage your wife will apply for FLR, so I'm not a 100% if you will pay the Health Surcharge with the initial application which only allows the applicant to stay in the UK for six months, or at the FLR stage.

It's a holiday weekend so a lot of us are away from home, but I will try and get an answer.

I'm actually not so sure now, having just noticed that you're applying for a Finance Visa, which is issued for six months and after the marriage your wife will apply for FLR, so I'm not a 100% if you will pay the Health Surcharge with the initial application which only allows the applicant to stay in the UK for six months, or at the FLR stage.

It's a holiday weekend so a lot of us are away from home, but I will try and get an answer.

As far as I understand it, you pay the 2.5 years up front when applying for the fiance visa but if anything changes and you don't get/use the spouse visa then you can claim back any unused part of the insurance.

I had the same reservations, but having checked the UKVI websites ( which contain very little to help), I sent an enquiry to UKVI. The website information, by lack of anything to the contrary, seems to indicate that the full amount is paid on application. I'm waiting ( as usual) for a response.

OG - apologies if I misread your post but you seem to be talking about £500 for the initial visa but it is actually £600 PLUS the exchange rate rip off of about 8% so in actual fact it comes out at close to £650.

Good point about the fiancee visa situation. I don't know either.

I have received a reply from the UKVI International Enquiry Service to my question asking if a Fiance(e) visa attracts a Health Surcharge or not. For some inexplicable reason, I expected an answer that would assist in some way ! I made it very clear in the enquiry that I was asking, specifically, if a fiance(e) visa, which is issued for 6 months, despite being a settlement visa, attracted an IHS charge. The response says :

Thank you for contacting the UK Visas and Immigrations International

Enquiry service.

You will not need to pay the IHS if the stay in the UK was under 6 months;

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/when-you-need-to-pay

Please note that you will not have the access to NHS. You will be charged
150% of the treatment if you used NHS.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/migrant-health-surcharge-to-raise-200-mil
lion-a-year

You can E-Mail us back with your details by visiting the following link
(https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/), select appropriate country,
click next and then select ‘E-Mail form’ and complete as instructed. We
will aim to come back to you within 1 day.

Kind regards,

Keiko

UK Visas and Immigration International Enquiry Service

I wonder how much the Home Office is paying this company to answer questions about UK immigration procedures. Is Keiko even in the UK, or is this an overseas "call centre". The standard of English certainly isn't up to the standard I would expect from a government "partner agency". I'm not sure Keiko even understood the question !

• Like 2

I'm now applying for the health service surcharge at www.immigration-health-surcharge.service.gov.uk because we are about to submit the application for a fiance visa.

I'm now at the stage to make the payment but just to clarify a couple of things on the application for the surcharge;

Are this choices correct?

1. Visa Route - Settlement. (No option for Fiance visa)

2. Visa Type - Unmarried Partner

3. Dependants? We have kids but they all have UK passports already. Do they count as her dependants for this surcharge application?

Just wanted to be sure because the declaration I'm about to agree to sounds quite serious!

I'm now applying for the health service surcharge at www.immigration-health-surcharge.service.gov.uk because we are about to submit the application for a fiance visa.

I'm now at the stage to make the payment but just to clarify a couple of things on the application for the surcharge;

3. Dependants? We have kids but they all have UK passports already. Do they count as her dependants for this surcharge application?

Just wanted to be sure because the declaration I'm about to agree to sounds quite serious!

As we understand it at the moment, there is no health surcharge for Fiance(e) visas. The UKVI Enquiry Service has not answered the question, and have repeatedly failed to do so.

Logically, as the visa is only issued for 6 months ( even though it is a settlement visa), there can be no charge at the application stage. We are assuming that the charge will be impose at the FLR stage, after marriage.

Regarding your point 2 above, a fiance(e) visa is not an unmarried partner visa. That applies to couples who are actually living together in an established relationship akin to a marriage fro at least two years.

Regarding point 3, British passport holders do not need to pay the IHS.

Tony M

• Like 1

As we understand it at the moment, there is no health surcharge for Fiance(e) visas. The UKVI Enquiry Service has not answered the question, and have repeatedly failed to do so.

Logically, as the visa is only issued for 6 months ( even though it is a settlement visa), there can be no charge at the application stage. We are assuming that the charge will be impose at the FLR stage, after marriage.

Regarding your point 2 above, a fiance(e) visa is not an unmarried partner visa. That applies to couples who are actually living together in an established relationship akin to a marriage fro at least two years.

Regarding point 3, British passport holders do not need to pay the IHS.

Tony M

OK, so are you advising applicants to not get the NHS surcharge for a fiance visa when they come to you?

1. For the visa route I have the following options; Settlement, Other, Tier 1, TIer 2, so I assume a fiance visa is a "settlement" visa, right?

2. For the visa type I only have the following options; civil partnership, family reunion, husband, unmarried partner. The only choice available to us is "unmarried partner".

3. So for this application I should put that she has no dependants?