Does a tow bar on the back of a pickup improve crush impact

Apologies in advance for this random thread but I was thinking of installing a tow bar on the back of my pickup. Once a month I might be towing my inlaws boat.

If I have the tow bar on the back (but not towing anything) and if another vehicle runs up the back of me, will the tow bar provide extra protection from the crush impact of another cars impact.

cheers

The good thing about a tow bar is that folk who can't park properly hit that instead of damaging the bumper, but you must remember it's there when your parking.

A "substantial" tow bar setup will have a cross member between the two chassis rails which the hook is bolted too, which will make the back end a bit stronger, as for high impact stuff I doubt much difference.

• Like 1

Might help you a little. Almost certainly do more damage to the car that hits you.

And potentially bend whatever it's attached to on yours.

You sit so far forward in a pick up, rear protection isn't really a worry. What is of much more concern to the driver of a pick up (or anything for that matter) is a seat belt and air bags.

People die a lot in pick ups here mainly because they are drunk and not wearing seat belts, lack of air bags and the body of a pick up and ladder based chassis SUVS being weak. Ok and incredibly bad driving, poor handling and poor braking also play big parts and increased impact due to weight.

A tow bar on the rear isn't really anything of any significance.

• Like 2

Definitely make it stronger. When i had my pajero a guy in his BMW smacked my back-end. Unfortunately for him he came in contact with the towing eye. Made a right mess of his car. Marks on mine where from his paintwork which rubbed off.

Edited by BBJ

Tow bars in general cause a lot more neck injuries. The reason for this is that because they are directly connected to the chassis, there is no bumper slowing down the impact, and your neck will receive the full impact.

I would not keep a tow bar in my car at times I am not using it. Thus removable tow bars.

• Like 1

Definitely make it stronger. When i had my pajero a guy in his BMW smacked my back-end. Unfortunately for him he came in contact with the towing eye. Made a right mess of his car. Marks on mine where from his paintwork which rubbed off.

Oh no , another Smartypants.!!. Happy

Now ?. Why is it always a B.M.. never the average Joe,go rub off that.biggrin.png

m

m

A tow bar , solidly bolted onto the chassis , will remove much of the " crumple zone " of the bumper / tailgate / bed floor . In the higher "G" force accidents , this will have a varying degree of detrimental effect , such as higher whiplash . Ensure your ( ALL ) headrests are in the correct positions to lessen the effect . Removeable "swan-neck" tow bars still have all the remaining metalwork left in place , so same-same . I have a bar on my Jeep . Risk assesement verses convienience .

I've got an agricultural hitch which is good for hauling the farm trailer but I can't take it off, it's welded to the support bar. Hope I don't get rear ended!

The bumper and rear of a modern pickup is designed to absorb some of the energy in an impact, the tow bar is not.

In a small impact the tow bar will protect you. But in a bigger impact the force will be directed straight to the chassis in one one point rather then spread over the rear, but honestly in a bad impact it probably won't matter to you so much.

Of course, if you hit something when reversing you are likely to do a lot more damage with a tow bar attached.

• Like 2

I put one on for 2 reasons. I may want to tow something and in car parks etc a tow bar may provide that alert to some careless driver before they hit me. I have a reversing camera so unlikely I will back into something.

Oh no , another Smartypants.!!. Happy

Now ?. Why is it always a B.M.. never the average Joe,go rub off that.biggrin.png

I assume everyone on this forum knows "pajero" is Spanish for <deleted>.

m

m

double edge sword they are.

They will do more damage to the vehicle that runs into it but if the impact is decent it will also do a lot more damage to your chassis.

Correct answer :)

The guy behind always loses, at carpark speeds you win, anything faster and you both lose.

A few years ago in the UK, I owned a Nissan Navara D22 pickup that was rear ended at speed ( about 50/60 Kmh ( Police ) by a bimbo who was texting on her phone ( phone found in floor well of her car by extraction team with half finished text to BF ).

The damage to her car was extensive, with the whole engine block pushed back, and major frontal damage.

The Nissan you ask ? . Was taken to an Insurance registered body shop for full chassis inpection after the accident

Damage equalled Zero - just a new rear crash bar because of the ( slight damage ) on it and the paint removed at the impact point.

This should answer your question

• Like 1

A few years ago in the UK, I owned a Nissan Navara D22 pickup that was rear ended at speed ( about 50/60 Kmh ( Police ) by a bimbo who was texting on her phone ( phone found in floor well of her car by extraction team with half finished text to BF ).

The damage to her car was extensive, with the whole engine block pushed back, and major frontal damage.

The Nissan you ask ? . Was taken to an Insurance registered body shop for full chassis inpection after the accident

Damage equalled Zero - just a new rear crash bar because of the ( slight damage ) on it and the paint removed at the impact point.

This should answer your question

CM: did your nissan have a tow bar?