Front advances to beachfront in war on rats

Rimmer

Front advances to beachfront in war on rats

n2rats-1.jpg

Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay (light colored shirt) leads over 30 volunteers in the campaign to wipe out rats along Pattaya Beach.

PATTAYA:--Pattaya pushed up its front on the war on rats, hitting the beachfront after conquering Bali Hai Pier.

Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay led 30 members of the Surveillance and Rapid Response Team, and volunteers, to spread poison and traps along Pattaya Beach, where they’ve long feasted on leftover food and garbage.

The war on rats began in February at Bali Hai Pier and this month moved to Pattaya and Jomtien beaches and, later, will advance to Koh Larn.

City officials reminded beach users and vendors to dispose of all trash properly and don’t leave food behind.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/front-advances-to-beachfront-in-war-on-rats-46645#sthash.unbj1MYI.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-05-01 footer_n.gif

What a complete waste of time and effort. Start with the basics. Provide adequate facilities for disposal of garbage. Educate everyone, especially children in how to look after the environment, i.e. dispose of rubbish responsibly. Impose heavy fines on those guilty of littering. After this have a go at the rats. I guess I am dreaming again TIT where hardly anyone, particularly the locals I am sorry to say, gives a s**t.

poisoning them is a stupid idea because it kills all the cats and owls that naturally keep the rat population down, they just come back stronger then ever with no natural predators, but what the real problem is that they are incapable of addressing is that all the businesses on the beach dump their trash in the bins on the beach and the lids are always left open, so free food for the rats and predators killed off and they cant figure out why they have a problem

"...City officials reminded beach users and vendors to dispose of all trash properly and don’t leave food behind..."

That's gonna do a lot of good...NOT! I never understood, with wages so cheap, why City Hall does not hire a crew of people to constantly walk up and down the beaches every single day of the year, picking up garbage and keeping the beaches clean. Ah, I know, it's too logical of a move, that's why they've never done it.

They'd rather allow a horrific infestation of rats build up to a dangerous point and then spend money on a war against the rats rather than fix the root cause of the rat infestation...daily garbage left by beach-goers.

Qatar used to have a problem with rats. They were as big as small dogs but they got rid of them by importing cats, lots of cats. To compare 1986 Doha was overrun with rats, you would see them everywhere. 2010 never saw a single rat

They deal with just one generation of rats.

1/ Rats can reach sexual maturity at 5 weeks of age

2/ Rats don’t recognize incest, so brothers and sisters and even mothers and sons can mate

3/ Rats don’t have a breeding season

4/ Females of breeding age come into heat all year round, every 4 to 5 days

5/ A female rat can mate as many as 500 times with various males during a six-hour period of receptivity—a state she experiences about 15 times per year. Thus a pair of rats can produce as many as 2,000 descendants in a year.

Rats will be there in numbers until there is enough food for them and lack of rat's predators.

btw enjoy your meal....

rats_08.jpg

"Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay led 30 members of the Surveillance and Rapid Response Team, and volunteers, to spread poison and traps along Pattaya Beach, where theyve long feasted on leftover food and garbage."

Above and beyond the call of duty.

Here in Jomtien signs posted for 2000 baht fine for littering. Enforced about as much as other laws (not). Garbage piles up every day. Thai are worst offenders: they will just leave food on bench or where ever. This is not bashing, it is observable behavior. How about some education and enforcement?

Disgusting rats all over the beach..............but if they werent allowed to scam tourists with their jetskis, they would soon be gone.......... but poison is a step in the right direction although a tad extreme.

As for the litter it does seem Thais are simply not educated to pick up rubbish.

I was at a beautiful lake area exercising on a machine, a couple of girls were feeding nearby, when finished they simply stood up to go, leaving the plastic bags and bottles on the floor. I suggested they put their post snack debris in a rubbish bin a mere six feet away..............they couldnt have looked more shocked or horrified had I suggested a threesome in the bushes!!

When they finish there they can come up to Bangkok, anywhere there are street fo od vendors there are rats.....

they need metal dumpsters and an education on how bad it can get

Maybe the "Butt" police can help as they are stalking tourists !

.......spreading poison around......

...whatever happened to 'prevention'.....

...why not begin by stopping the indiscriminate dumping of garbage anywhere convenient.....

You don't know the answer ? Get real this is Thailand land of the money God.

They deal with just one generation of rats.

1/ Rats can reach sexual maturity at 5 weeks of age

2/ Rats dont recognize incest, so brothers and sisters and even mothers and sons can mate

3/ Rats dont have a breeding season

4/ Females of breeding age come into heat all year round, every 4 to 5 days

5/ A female rat can mate as many as 500 times with various males during a six-hour period of receptivitya state she experiences about 15 times per year. Thus a pair of rats can produce as many as 2,000 descendants in a year.

Rats will be there in numbers until there is enough food for them and lack of rat's predators.

btw enjoy your meal....

rats_08.jpg

Yummy bbq rat, live in Korat there is a guy selling it not more than 500 meters from my house on the side of the bye pass every day, why not employ professional rat catchers in and put this food source to good use, could sell it cheap to the BIB and supply city hall free lunch for the hi Sos in Pattaya, but as usual good suggestions are simply not listened to.

Well that makes a lot of sense. So when there is enough food for them and no predators their numbers will drop?

It's easy to see the difference between the bit you copied and pasted and your own thinking.

Well that makes a lot of sense. So when there is enough food for them and no predators their numbers will drop?

It's easy to see the difference between the bit you copied and pasted and your own thinking.

have a nice day sir

• 3 weeks later...