Latest plague of insects in Ubon

Guitar God

Last night I left around 21:30, was back before 22:30 and when I pulled in I noticed bugs in front of the back wall, attracted to the headlights. I went to the house and the porch had hundreds of flying bugs and as many dead ones. I opened the house and even though all the doors are windows were as closed (as they can be on a Thai house, even a new one), the living room was full of bugs on the ground, flying around, crawling around. I went to the kitchen where the door seals quite tightly, the windows were closed but the room also had 100's of bugs.

Tonight they were even getting in when the lights were dim and the curtains were drawn tight. They seem to squeeze between the weatherstripping and go for any source of light. Outside on the porch and tiles around the house, it was almost totally black with these bugs.

They resemble small mayflies to me. Does anyone know how long this certain plague will last? ( I really don't care what they're called, you can tell me if you know but I'm most interested in knowing when they'll F off back to where they came from).

Insects come in streaks here it seems. One week the house was full of butterflies, Another week termites or huge flying ants outside, then some flying insects that just hovered over the lawn, a while ago, mini June bugs, the walking stick invasion of January and just a few days before these little winged pests, feathery bees that came out at dusk and all died within a few hours.

I tried attaching with the Flash using the basic and advanced loader and imbedding and linking to the photo I took, using .jpg. gif and .png but nothing worked.

Edited by Guitar God

I live in Khon Kaen about 4 weeks ago sitting outside 7pm and hundreds and hundreds of them just came around the lights loads just dropping on the floor and table, they lasted 2-3 nights and all gone.

They appear to be the flying termites. They were only around two nights, appeared after the first big rain of the season, lost wings like Thai women shed hair.

How the hell do you imbed or attach photos here?

I think they do this once a year - usually when its hot.

In Africa they came at the start of the rainy season. Their appearance always started a frenzy of people collecting them. They are indeed good fried.

t=40

inswa.jpg

Flying ants/termites. At least in Chiang Mai they start up when it is about to rain or just after a rain. May happen a few times per year. Seen brightly lit street intersections with thousands of them flying around or covering the road. This was in May a few years ago.

As for attaching an image, here is my pinned guideline - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/614326-posting-images-guidelines/

post-566-0-61670000-1430739092_thumb.jpg

If you are going native in Thailand...learn to eat them...then you will look forward to their presence each year...

When someone gives you lemons...make lemonade...

If you are going native in Thailand...learn to eat them...then you will look forward to their presence each year...

When someone gives you lemons...make lemonade...

ehhhh..... sounds good at first, but if someone gives you a dog log ..... a shxt burger is comming your way ? :-)

It sounds like a colony of termites on the move looking to set up a new nest. We get this fairly regularly in our village in Bsngkok. It at least matches the description very closely. If it is, there is nothing you can do short of finding and burning out all the nesting places (like dead trees). Suggest the first line of defense is turn off ALL lights when first you notice them ... and keep them off. Second step is to be sure you have a quality exterminator by once a month. Have tried different approaches but the best seems to be hen the exterminators use an attractant that deposits a poison on them that they take back to the nest. Good luck

Wow, that seems like A LOT. A couple nights ago I had a few in the bedroom and in the bathroom...but not nearly as many as you have / had. I was thinking that maybe because I am on the 1st floor and they don't fly that high in masses, but remember seeing lots around street lights.

The bathroom by the way is an open window with a screen and I saw a few still stuck or trying to squeeze their way through the small gaps in the screen.

Feasting time for the geckos and frogs.

And an opportunity to learn where the house is poorly sealed.

Best advice, turn off lights and have a decoy one set away.

Hang an incandescent light bulb over fish ponds, happy fish.

Same here. We get them several times during rainy season. They seem to be smaller this year for some reason. Not sure if it's a different bug or not but they certainly act the same. Can't even turn a TV on with the curtains shut. :)