Israeli Ethiopian protest against racism turns violent

webfact

small village in rural england ,had a old gay black jewish man living near me ,mother jewish german ,farther black ,everybody loved him and his little white man

You are prejudice.

You deliberately missed out that the gay, black, old Jewish man was also a dwarf, had a glass eye, a wooden leg and was disabled.

We may as well throw the lot in while you`re at it.

Edited by Beetlejuice

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The opinion of most people who consider themselves as being Jews first and foremost, is that the true Jews are central European Ashkenazi or Sephardic originating from Spain and even those two groups live in separate communities. Other Jews that have different ethnic origins and backgrounds hardly count as being members of the faith with them.

Israel was mean`t to be a land of the free for all those of the Jewish faith with the purpose that they could be practising Jews without restrictions and persecution regardless of race and from where they come from. But just like America, the so-called land of the free, this may sound like the perfect society on paper, but in reality doesn`t work. Both Israel and America are racist societies, it is a sort of unwritten constitutional law where ethnic peoples are placed at a disadvantage.

Grossly incorrect. Many Jews are from Ethiopia.

What OP does not mention is that many who migrated are NOT Jews , but saw it as an opportunity to flee Ethiopia for better life, there were not much options back then.

OP also fails to mention that most crime, including drugs and gangs are also Ethiopian.

Naturally it does not justify police brutality nor racism but it is not without a reason .

Furthermore if you watch the video, it was hardly a beating and Ethiopian soldier refused to follow police instruction.

He was hit once and he did fight back.

It appears PM Netanyahu and Israeli President Rivlin take the matter more seriously.

"Israel's PM meanwhile has met the Ethiopian Israeli soldier, whose beating by police fuelled tensions.
Benjamin Netanyahu praised Damas Pakedeh and said he was shocked by video which emerged last week showing the soldier being beaten by two police officers in a suburb of Tel Aviv.
One of the policemen involved has been fired and the other suspended from the force, Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told the BBC."

Of course they take the matter more seriously otherwise unrest will continue.

Have you actually watched the video? The "other" one was a volunteer, so suspended from being a volunteer?!

PS. The Volunteer did nothing in the video, but to help restrain and even with 2 of them, they could not apprehend 1 soldier.

If this was a beating as you so hard trying to paint, soldier would have been either dead or in serious condition in the hospital.

Recent events in US are perfect example of police brutality. This is just an excuse for some people

Perhaps this demonstration will be a wake up call for Israelis to see the racism in their midst. When people are unjustly persecuted and repressed long enough, eventually they rise up in anger and cry enough is enough.
I didn’t realize just how badly Ethiopian Jews were discriminated against on the grounds of their race. Interesting item in Al Jazeera about the background to the OP
Ethiopian Jews: Not Jewish enough
"My blood is good enough for army service, but not good enough after," shouted a woman at a line of riot police last Thursday in Jerusalem.
"My brother is in Golani [an army unit] and so was I, but I can't get a job; I face racism when I want to move into an apartment," said another man in Tel Aviv on Sunday night.

Yeah,nice try.

Its a fact, do some light reading. A huge number of Ethiopians who came to Israel are not and were never Jewish.

People were starving in Ethiopia and Israel open doors for Jews, gave free airfare and start up money.

Many Non jews took advantage of it, many still trying to enter illegally.

A large number of them hardly keep any jewish traditions, because they are not jewish.

Naturally all suffer from generalization.

But even with all that crap, their life's are much better than back in Ethiopia or even better treated than foreigners in Thailand.

If you really want to see discrimination and mistreatment, look at the neighbors where Palestinians are kept in camps for decades and not allowed to leave the camps.

No rights at all, no chance of ever becoming a citizen or perm resident

You are right to hate all bigotry like me but I also say we are all God's Children

Well I hate bigotry but I'm an atheist so I'm afraid that makes me an orphan.

biggrin.png

Well that explains a lot.

I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said

"To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."?

Also, off-topic, inflammatory posts and replies removed.

How touching it is to see some of our esteemed members have found a new Jewish demographic to love, what with the concern about the genitalia of American Orthodox boys one might suspect they were mellowing. Alas, If all the Ethiopian Jews were somehow abducted by Hamas and smuggled to Syria I doubt there would be so much as a peep.

There is racism, classism and sexism in all Countries and peoples sadly. I abhor it unreservedly but this is a universal problem with humankind, however people's ears tend to prick up when Israel is mentioned as a higher standard of behavior is expected of Israelis, just as a lower standard is expected of her neighbors.

How touching it is to see some of our esteemed members have found a new Jewish demographic to love, what with the concern about the genitalia of American Orthodox boys one might suspect they were mellowing. Alas, If all the Ethiopian Jews were somehow abducted by Hamas and smuggled to Syria I doubt there would be so much as a peep.

There is racism, classism and sexism in all Countries and peoples sadly. I abhor it unreservedly but this is a universal problem with humankind, however people's ears tend to prick up when Israel is mentioned as a higher standard of behavior is expected of Israelis, just as a lower standard is expected of her neighbors.

I believe the OP concerns Israeli Jewish racism against their fellow Jews, not off topic deflections you are trying to introduce, which I would gladly debate, but in another thread another time.

Perhaps the demonstrations will focus Israeli citizens' attention on the possibility that they "will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

(Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Perhaps this demonstration will be a wake up call for Israelis to see the racism in their midst. When people are unjustly persecuted and repressed long enough, eventually they rise up in anger and cry enough is enough.
I didn’t realize just how badly Ethiopian Jews were discriminated against on the grounds of their race. Interesting item in Al Jazeera about the background to the OP
"My blood is good enough for army service, but not good enough after," shouted a woman at a line of riot police last Thursday in Jerusalem.
"My brother is in Golani [an army unit] and so was I, but I can't get a job; I face racism when I want to move into an apartment," said another man in Tel Aviv on Sunday night.

Yeah,nice try.

Its a fact, do some light reading. A huge number of Ethiopians who came to Israel are not and were never Jewish.

People were starving in Ethiopia and Israel open doors for Jews, gave free airfare and start up money.

A large number of them hardly keep any jewish traditions, because they are not jewish.

But even with all that crap, their life's are much better than back in Ethiopia or even better treated than foreigners in Thailand.

If you really want to see discrimination and mistreatment, look at the neighbors where Palestinians are kept in camps for decades and not allowed to leave the camps.

What are your sources for these claims? Or is this myth about Ethiopian Jews part and cause of the discrimination problem?

Did the diaspora only reach white areas of Europe or Asian areas of the Middle East. Could it possibly have reached African Ethiopia which is much closer?

It certainly begs the question, What is Jewishness?

Is it simply having a Jewish grandmother, while descendants can be secular or even atheists.

Would a white secular or even atheist Jew in an IDF uniform have been treated the same way by the police as the Ethiopian?

Yeah,nice try.

What are your sources for these claims? Or is this myth about Ethiopian Jews part and cause of the discrimination problem?

Did the diaspora only reach white areas of Europe or Asian areas of the Middle East. Could it possibly have reached African Ethiopia which is much closer?

Is it simply having a Jewish grandmother, while descendants can be secular or even atheists.

Would a white secular or even atheist Jew in an IDF uniform have been treated the same way by the police as the Ethiopian?

I would suggest you visit Israel, instead of referring to Jihad or Hamas mediathumbsup.gif

It begs the question of what is Jewishness? are you kidding me? or ran out of bashing material?rolleyes.gif

Jewish grandmother? you are joking right? For someone with such extensive knowledge of Israel, its policies and even use of "jewish" words you sure failed to learn the basicswhistling.gif

What is the difference here being secular or atheist? was he "beaten" because of this or because of being black or because of refusing to follow police direction?

Again, i would suggest you watch the video of so called "beating",is one punch now a beating?blink.png

Yeah,nice try.

I would suggest you visit Israel, instead of referring to Jihad or Hamas mediathumbsup.gif

It begs the question of what is Jewishness? are you kidding me? or ran out of bashing material?rolleyes.gif

Jewish grandmother? you are joking right? For someone with such extensive knowledge of Israel, its policies and even use of "jewish" words you sure failed to learn the basicswhistling.gif

What is the difference here being secular or atheist? was he "beaten" because of this or because of being black or because of refusing to follow police direction?

Again, i would suggest you watch the video of so called "beating",is one punch now a beating?blink.png

FYI
"Historical definitions of Jewish identity have traditionally been based on halakhic definitions of matrilineal descent"
I have visited Israel, and found it to be an extremely racist society.
By contrast I have travelled with many delightfully civilized Israelis who helped me find the summits of Mt Kackar in Turkey Mt Tronador in Argentina, and the Lamayuru trail in Zanskar amongst many other very pleasant encounters.
I wish for a better less hate filled future for them.

FYI

"Historical definitions of Jewish identity have traditionally been based on halakhic definitions of matrilineal descent"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews#Who_is_a_Jew.3F

By contrast I have travelled with many delightfully civilized Israelis who helped me find the summits of Mt Kackar in Turkey Mt Tronador in Argentina, and the Lamayuru trail in Zanskar amongst many other very pleasant encounters.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Not too long ago, you claimed to have been to Palestine, and now its Israel

I wonder whats next?whistling.gif

Now you have found it to be racist?

(DELETED)

Dex, i am sorry, but you really are laugh.thumbsup.gif, great imagination and selective reading

PPS. So mother does not need to be Jewish, only the Grandmother?facepalm.gif

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

FYI

(DELETED)

Dex, i am sorry, but you really are laugh.thumbsup.gif, great imagination and selective reading

In answer to your question I have visited Israel extensively and also occupied East Jerusalem and parts of the Occupied West Bank.I have have also traveled widely in Lebanon as far south as Tyre (Sour), Syria, Jordan and Egypt. But have not been to Gaza.
In several conversations with young Israeli Jews I was shocked at the vehemence of their racial hatred towards other non Jews in view of their own historical Jewish persecution. I was never discriminated against myself as a non Jew in Israel by anyone Israeli Jew or Palestinian.
In a taxi ride up to the Golan Heights all hell broke loose with other Jewish passengers when I criticized aspects of Israeli history they regarded as politically incorrect.
I suggest you consult www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/whojew1.html to discover who exactly is defined as a Jew...not even a maternal grandmother apparently!
The Ethiopian Jews in the OP whom you disparage as non Jews easily qualify; many of them of course were born in Israel, have fought in the IDF, but are still discriminated against.
Edited by dexterm

PM of Israel Netanyahu pledges to take action on this problem.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-pledges-to-eliminate-deep-problem-of-racism/

Facing there is a real problem is a good start.

post-37101-0-70249200-1430769915_thumb.j

“The police will do what must be done to fix itself but we must also fix Israeli society because we love you. We love the Ethiopian community and all Israelis are in this together,” Netanyahu said at the meeting, according to a statement from his office.

“There is a deep problem here that needs to be resolved. This outburst is a result of genuine distress. We will fight this together. Much work remains to be done, but this is the right direction. I am very happy to see you here. You are simply an example,” he continued.

Pakada said afterwards that he was pleased that Netanyahu had met with him and shown how seriously he took the issue.

Edited by Jingthing

I've worked with a number of young Jewish people and also worked in the ME. I didn't find them to be racist against Blacks. I did find it was best to stay away from the topic of Arabs and Palestine, however.

Maybe Jews aren't supposed to be black...at least according to the police officer...probably mistook him for an Arab.

That's BS and you know it, but it is true most Jews are not African in appearance. Yes, Jews who are African in appearance are a smallish minority among Jews. But they do exist. The Ethiopian Jews of course, some small Jewish identified sects of African Americans as well, and of course African appearing people who became Jews as a result of mixed marriages ... and don't forget Sammy!

post-37101-0-98579400-1430808016_thumb.j

Maybe Jews aren't supposed to be black...at least according to the police officer...probably mistook him for an Arab.

Actually you would be hard pressed to find a group more racist against blacks than the Arabs. Their word for black and slave are one and the same. They were far more prolific in taking slaves from Africa than the West ever was. Indeed when the Libyan regime was toppled I suggest you check what happened to black sub-Saharan Africans working there.

P.s Don't tell Boko Haram or the Nation of Islam though or their heads might explode.

It is obvious that there are members of this Forum who cannot get out of their bubble that the

actual the conflict between white Jews (Ashkenaze) and black Jews (Ethiopians) is nonsense.

Both side cannot prove they have any link with the people who lived in the Holy Land 2000 years

ago and more.

Under #17 above I gave my academic references for this : two Israeli professors, one in History and another in Archaeology.

Under # 18 member Jingthing refutes this without giving any reference and blowing hot air that

the books of those professors all old stuff and already rebuked sufficiently.

When I ask Jingthing to quote his academic sources in what should have been #19 I am surprised to

notice it has been deleted without even a mention that it is "off topic"

Is there censorship on this Forum about this subject?

No censorship, but the topic is about Ethiopian Jews protesting against racism.

Your discussion may be of interest, but it is not relevant to this thread.

Please stay on the topic of the thread.

OK and sorry for what you consider "off topic"

..but in my opinion the deeper conflict is the discussion about the idea who "owns" Israel and for a certain category of Israeli's the black Jews are not included.

Edited by fvw53

That's BS and you know it, but it is true most Jews are not African in appearance. Yes, Jews who are African in appearance are a smallish minority among Jews. But they do exist. The Ethiopian Jews of course, some small Jewish identified sects of African Americans as well, and of course African appearing people who became Jews as a result of mixed marriages ... and don't forget Sammy!

attachicon.gifSammyDavisJr.jpg

The point was that the police officer felt free to beat the Ethiopian Jew because he thought he was an Arab and had beat Arabs many times before without consequence. Of course, the Jews, being originally a Semitic people, are very close to Africans, both ethnically and geographically.

FYI

(DELETED)

In answer to your question I have visited Israel extensively and also occupied East Jerusalem and parts of the Occupied West Bank.I have have also traveled widely in Lebanon as far south as Tyre (Sour), Syria, Jordan and Egypt. But have not been to Gaza.
In several conversations with young Israeli Jews I was shocked at the vehemence of their racial hatred towards other non Jews in view of their own historical Jewish persecution. I was never discriminated against myself as a non Jew in Israel by anyone Israeli Jew or Palestinian.
In a taxi ride up to the Golan Heights all hell broke loose with other Jewish passengers when I criticized aspects of Israeli history they regarded as politically incorrect.
I suggest you consult www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/whojew1.html to discover who exactly is defined as a Jew...not even a maternal grandmother apparently!
The Ethiopian Jews in the OP whom you disparage as non Jews easily qualify; many of them of course were born in Israel, have fought in the IDF, but are still discriminated against.

You do have creative imagination, so please forgive me for not believing a single word.thumbsup.gif

Thank God for Google and moderators.giggle.gif

One thing i do find somewhat interesting is your own contradictions.

First you proclaim to be jewish grandmother must be jewish and back up your cliam with a link.

Now you do a uturn and claim that not even grandmother is enough, with another link

So is it safe to assume you normally post incorrect information? Rhetorical question,, no answer is requiredwai2.gif