Moving to Koh Phangan from Chiang Mai - How to move furniture/stuff ?

Has anyone any experience with the moving of stuff from North to South or vice versa ?

I have to work out whether its cost viable or best to sell all my gear and start again once down south ?

Anyone know the price of hire for a 7.5 tonne truck (not that I have nearly enough stuff to fill one) with driver what with petrol costs ?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Marcus

Koh Phangan is an island at the end of the day with a very limited number of shops that supple large amounts of furniture you,do not say what items you are shipping down a lot of items can be shipped through the post office at a reasonable price including motor bikes if it is bigger stuff like beds , mattresses, tables and chairs then that is a different story but I am sure you would find a local with a good pickup who would deliver for you if you met there asking price I had a three piece suite as well as six large foot stools delivered from Bangkok on the back of a Toyota pick up to Koh Samui which still worked out cheaper than to buy locally, living on an island is always more expensive and it is my understanding that both Koh Phangan and Koh Samui are the most expensive islands in the Kingdom on which I have lived on both over a ten year period !

I moved to C Mai from Chonburi 18 months ago. Just returned last week and used the same moving company for both moves. Inter-Mover. I'm overall very pleased. Their basic charge is 1,000 baht per cubic meter to BKK. Then from there to Chonburi was a flat 6,000 baht no matter what the size of the load. For a 10 cubic meter mover that would be 10,000 plus 6,000. Total 16,000. Call their Sales Manager, Jula, for a quote at 089-636-2058. Tell her Eric referred you to her. She is a very nice lady.

Check in with your local motorcycle queue guys, ask them who has the "hok lor, lot lap chang," a 6-wheeler truck for charter with driver. Then negotiate the rate for the distance. You could pay for the fuel on the trip down so you'll know have the cost of getting the truck back to C. Mai.

Mac

I would say that having lived on KPG, you pay a premium for everything there, even at 7/11 and Tesco/Big C, and for furniture, you would realistically have to go to Samui or Surat Thani, (the latter having prices to match its island and tourist status, and Surat Thani not being geared up to foreigners at all unlike somewhere like CM) so if you already have all your stuff, it is unlikely that the costs of transporting it down there would be more than buying it all again, ignoring all the hassle e.g. if you needed to take something back to Tesco Samui for example, its a full day trip, not just a quick jaunt out to the inner ring road.

Let everyone in the neighborhood know you will be gone for the weekend...leave your front door and gate open...when you come back...all your furniture will have been moved for you...problem solved...buy new furniture...wai2.gif

Let everyone in the neighborhood know you will be gone for the weekend...leave your front door and gate open...when you come back...all your furniture will have been moved for you...problem solved...buy new furniture...wai2.gif

^^^^^^

You started it LOL

How to move furniture/stuff ?

Er, you hum it son and I'll play it!

Sorry, just couldn't resist it!

Good luck with your move, do they insure against breakages?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNslTmBRuww

Edited by laislica

I was never satisfied with the choice of furniture in Samui, to massive and traditional style for me. The more modern things are mostly low quality and most things I liked in the catalogs have been sold out , "cannot order", they wanted to get rid of the old things the had in stock for a long time or they wanted to charge me double of the listed catalog price (farang price). Also forget about Suratthani, ihmo worse than Samui, I did a useless trip there. I went to Bangkok to find stuff which I like. So my point is, I would also advise you to just bring what you have.

Sorry about the little rant about my furniture shopping in the south ;) I am sure some (many?) people are happy with the local choice.

+1 for Chiang Mai Removals. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I moved from Samui to Chiang Mai back in 2012, and used Chiang Mai Removals. I had approx 3cbm and, from memory, it cost around 10,000bt. They even stored everything for me, as we were getting to CM three weeks after leaving Samui, and delivered it all once we got to CM.

+1 for Chiang Mai Removals. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I moved from Samui to Chiang Mai back in 2012, and used Chiang Mai Removals. I had approx 3cbm and, from memory, it cost around 10,000bt. They even stored everything for me, as we were getting to CM three weeks after leaving Samui, and delivered it all once we got to CM.

Yep I have plumped for Chiang Mai Removals after chatting to the guy and getting a couple of quotes. Will make the move in late June.

• 4 weeks later...

I moved to C Mai from Chonburi 18 months ago. Just returned last week and used the same moving company for both moves. Inter-Mover. I'm overall very pleased. Their basic charge is 1,000 baht per cubic meter to BKK. Then from there to Chonburi was a flat 6,000 baht no matter what the size of the load. For a 10 cubic meter mover that would be 10,000 plus 6,000. Total 16,000. Call their Sales Manager, Jula, for a quote at 089-636-2058. Tell her Eric referred you to her. She is a very nice lady.

I wanted to update (11 June, 2015) this info as I was just contacted by Inter-Mover recently. They do subcontract the loads sometimes to other freight companies and this can result in some additional charges for labor on both the pickup and delivery end of the move that is not in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. So while their basic fees are the same, it's a few thousand baht more for the actual load as they must hire workers to load and unload. Still, it's the best value for moving around Thailand that I've been able to find! All things go up in cost over time, so expect to pay a little bit more than I did almost 2 years ago! Again, still a good value!

• 1 month later...

Thought Id report back on the move. I am now safely in KP and happily settling in smile.png

So in the end I plumped for using Chiang Mai removals to make the move from Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan.

VERY happy with the package they offered. Because of my cat I wanted to get the last ferry from mainland which leaves at 6pm which actually meant leaving at 10.30pm the previous night and they were happy to do this for me. I was delighted with the price and service, nowt seemed too much bother for them which immediately put me at ease.

Because of the cat making the journey I wanted to be in the truck with her as she is easily unsettled (she cried for 10 hours straight ! Until I let her out and lay her down by my feet in the truck). So the bonus was I saved a few bob on airfare - not that I,ll ever drive that journey again thank you very much !

For those interested, door to door was 22 and half hours (10.30pm - 9pm). Sounds gruelling and it had its moments but all in all it went much easier than I expected.

I, or they, got it all on a pick up truck, including my 500cc motorbike. Didnt get my fridge on but the place I rented has nigh on the same fridge anyhow so that turned out fine. Originally when I saw all my stuff in the house in CM I thought there was no chance of getting anywhere close to most of it on a pick up truck, particularly what with the big bike, but sure enough those truck loaders found more and more spots to store stuff. I genuinely found the loading part interesting, seeing my lifetime belongings before me.

Anyways, great move and recommend Chiang Mai Removals highly.

To all that posted in this thread - I thank you kindly.

Be lucky !

Marcus

Edited by marcusmarsh

• 3 months later...

Looking for a mover, as well. In my case, we are moving out of Chiang Mai (I did enjoy it) and back to my wife's home town of Udon Thani. We have good reasons to move back there (lived there four years before we came to Chiang Mai), and those reasons would not apply to everyone.

We are looking for a moving truck (large), and the wife is now contacting a neighbor. I am talking about a huge, covered moving truck....that can manage a 2 bedroom household, along with a scooter and motorbike. We have a price of 10,000...so anything in that neighborhood would be fine. Has to be on 18 November.

Just to add something for the poster... We are pretty much done in this area...and seen/experienced most everything up this way (including Mae hong son). I would also like to live on an island...but we decided to live cheaply in Udon...and utilize their excellent immigration facilities and easily accessible airport. My wife's cousin wants us to move into their empty home for 1500 baht a month. Incredible. It is only 10 kilometers out from Udon town....but all the relatives live nearby.

To sum it up......we will be living so cheaply there that we can easily hop on an airplane to Phuket, Krabi, and now to Utapao. Udon is not so bad....has the basics...but the people are just more are type...down to earth. Phys Ed college has our gym, Nong Prajak for walking/bikes/ a large shopping mall....and even a bit of a farang pubbery going on.

I am happy to be going...actually. I might see you in Phangan..but I wouldn't want to live there. Might stay a month at each and every island. Time to travel !

Signed....done with chiang mai