Raising Funds in Thailand

Farangdanny

I thought foreigners (apart from ASEAN) were not allowed to run tourist businesses here. So an investor will not give money even for a perfect plan unless you have a minority non controlling stake in which case you don't control your own money when they team up against you. I even saw the latter happen to a friend in UK. International business or in an approved sector does work for some people though.

I have already owned a business in Thailand. It is easy to keep yourself safe. 49% shareholding and the rest in nominees with pre-signed resignation and transfer documents.

"nominees with pre-signed resignation and transfer documents."

Since when have these 'undated' documents become legal? I think you will find there are many people/'companies' have come to grief with this type of company setup in the not too distant past.

I cannot see anyone going into a business deal at the level you are talking about with the type of comments you are making.

I like to be positive with posters but I find it difficult to believe that this is anything but a troll post!

It would surely help if both Farangdanny and Eyecatcher would let us know what currency they are talking about - there's a very big difference between THB500,00 - a modest sum - and US$500,000, similarly with Farangdanny's 12 million - what? Bengali Taka?

When talking about raising money in Thailand and investing in Chiang mai, it is safe to assume that the currency in question is thai Baht.

When discussing business one deals in facts, not assumptions if you want helpful and meaningful advice. When discussions regarding finance are taking place on an 'international' forum such as this it is often the mighty US$ which is used as the common denominator.

Clarity not assumptions are essential in this regard. I raised some points in an earlier post which I feel may be even more relevant now, if, as you say you, you have owned a business here in Thailand before. What happened to that business that now makes you need to start another one?

I received a good offer, so I sold it.

It would surely help if both Farangdanny and Eyecatcher would let us know what currency they are talking about - there's a very big difference between THB500,00 - a modest sum - and US$500,000, similarly with Farangdanny's 12 million - what? Bengali Taka?

When talking about raising money in Thailand and investing in Chiang mai, it is safe to assume that the currency in question is thai Baht.

When discussing business one deals in facts, not assumptions if you want helpful and meaningful advice. When discussions regarding finance are taking place on an 'international' forum such as this it is often the mighty US$ which is used as the common denominator.

Clarity not assumptions are essential in this regard. I raised some points in an earlier post which I feel may be even more relevant now, if, as you say you, you have owned a business here in Thailand before. What happened to that business that now makes you need to start another one?

I received a good offer, so I sold it.

Did your 'nominee' shareholders get a cut or had you dated their transfer forms the day before you sold out?

I am surprised the MODS have not shut this thread down since your intention to use undated share transfer forms etc is illegal and should not be being discussed on TV.

I thought foreigners (apart from ASEAN) were not allowed to run tourist businesses here. So an investor will not give money even for a perfect plan unless you have a minority non controlling stake in which case you don't control your own money when they team up against you. I even saw the latter happen to a friend in UK. International business or in an approved sector does work for some people though.

I have already owned a business in Thailand. It is easy to keep yourself safe. 49% shareholding and the rest in nominees with pre-signed resignation and transfer documents.

"nominees with pre-signed resignation and transfer documents."

Since when have these 'undated' documents become legal? I think you will find there are many people/'companies' have come to grief with this type of company setup in the not too distant past.

I cannot see anyone going into a business deal at the level you are talking about with the type of comments you are making.

I like to be positive with posters but I find it difficult to believe that this is anything but a troll post!

You may remember that many years ago, British Supermarket chain Tesco wanted to expand into Thailand. Because of the rules, they could not. The way they got round it was to take a 49% share of Lotus Supermarkets and tie it up in a way that gave them control !!

I don't think anyone posting here has ever run a successful business on their own. I'm a multi-business owner, and I view the local CM economy as ripe for the pickings. @FarangDanny, hang in there and keep pushing. You're hearing the criticism from the 99% who don't/can't start their own business. Just make it happen.

An odd thread. Perhaps populated by too many people who just want to make a buck rather than what used to attract people here in the first place --- after the Burmese were kicked out a few hundred years ago.