4 day stay in Vientiane, with Thai GF, she has no passport

I am planning to trip up to Nongkhai in late June/early July. I will head across to Vientiane for a double entry tourist visa.

I want to take my Thai girl with me. She has a passport but it will have expired by then. I know that Thai nationals can go accross the border for a day using just their ID card. Is it possible for them to also stay for more than one day in Loas using just their ID card.

Also:

1. Is there still no requirement to have air tickets when apply for a double at Vientiane

2. Anyone know a good cheap hotel to stay in while waiting for the visa to be processed.

And:

Does anyone know a good place to rent a motorbike in Nong khai for a couple of weeks and the price.

Thanks in advance for any help of info.

Now living up in the jungle, so no plan to renew her passport. Too busy to head in to the big smoke.

There is a couple of passport offices throughout the country nowadays.

No need to go to Bangkok. Painless process, ready in a week.

Not sure whether this map is complete:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=15.066819,103.535156&iwloc=0004c505ed78072229f2c&msa=0&spn=3.176875,5.993042&mid=zgfDwlRKjQiw.kvF5DyijOH_Q

(zoom out)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks KB for the link. But still not a definitive answer.

Is there any member out there who can confirm that a Loas border pass issued for a Thai is good for 3 days and two nights?

If that is true then we might be good to go.

Just want to get a new double entry tourist visa in Vientiane and spend an extra day having a look around the city. Three days should suffice.

Also has anyone got any recent reports on a clean cheap hotel with wifi.

get a new passport, takes 1 week,an most big cities have passport offices.

why take the risk an ruin a vacation?

Thanks richard. To renew her passport we would have to go back to Phuket...twice. After five years there I have just escaped with my life (Three road accidents in 15 months, none my fault, and the Thai driver fleeing the scene on every occassion). I now live in a lovely new house in the middle of the Jungle. Wild elephants will be required to get me to go back to Phuket unless it is absolutely necessary.

The border pass solution will be fine. Provided it is good for 3 days and 2 nights.

Thanks for your input TM.

Can any other members confirm that the Laos border pass is good for 3 days and 2 nights?

There are several passport offices she can use, not just Phuket or Bangkok. In BKK they might offer same day service.

She just have to go once, for 65 baht they send the passport home by EMS within 1 week.

There are several passport offices she can use, not just Phuket or Bangkok. In BKK they might offer same day service.

She just have to go once, for 65 baht they send the passport home by EMS within 1 week.

Thanks M

Good to know. But still think we will go the border pass route. Her current passport expires at the end of June. Anyone know if you can get a new one even though the other still has a month or so validity on it?

You can always get a new passport at any time - they fill up - get torn and such so nothing out of the ordinary to obtain a new one - in the case of six months or less validity they are almost useless so you are encouraged to obtain before getting down that low.

Re Border Passes, found the timing for earlier trip to Vientiane:

-- Friday 26 April 2002, Nong Khai to Vientiane
-- Saturday, 27 April, in Vientiane
-- Sunday, 28 April, in Vientiane
-- Monday, 29 April, Vientiane to Nong Khai
Note, the wife and I were on our passports, U.S. & Thai, but her daughter and nephew were on Border Passes obtained at Nong Khai. I don't remember getting an extension of their BPs in Vientiane, but if we did, must have been handled by the staff at the guest house on Friday after checking in.
Mac

As said a border pass is only for 3 days. Over that it is an overstay that can be paid for without a big problem when leaving the country. An extension can also be applied for.

She should try to get a new passport to save time on getting the border pass and being on overstay.

List of all passport offices is here in Thai, http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87.html

• Like 1

Passport offices in Thailand.

Places named on this list:

Bangkok (3)

Chiang Mai

Chiang Rai

Phitsanulok

Nakhon Sawan

Udon Thani

Khon Kaen

Ubon Ratchathani

Nakhon Ratchasima

Chanthaburi

Suratthani

Phuket

Songkhla

Yala

Chonburi (Pattaya)

Following this, the the map linked in post #4 is not complete anymore.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Phuket is the closest for us. Nope won't be going back there unless wild elephants are dragging me.

Thanks for your post TMac. It looks like you squeezed 3 nights (not 2) out of your border passes?

In any event if the pass is good for 2 nights that will suffice.

UJ. Thanks for your input. But I have seen the Thais getting a border pass at Nong Khai in the past. Seems to me a quick and painless process. In fact they receive their pass quicker than what I receive my Laos visa sticker. A good deal cheaper too.

So border pass it is then.

Back to my OP. Can anyone recommend a clean and cheap hotel?

Also any info on a trustworthy place to rent a motorbike in Udon Thani or Nong Khai. In the past I used to rent from the hair salon in (sampan spelling?) road in UT. But I called her salon recently and apparently the bike rental operations have ceased.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

I took my girlfriend at the time to Savannakhet with me for a double entry tourist visa 18 months ago. We went over the friendship bridge and she just had her Thai ID. There was a holiday in Laos and we had to spend an extra night which meant she would be overstaying her allotted time. We just went to the local police station and gave 200THB and she got 3 more days (or whatever it was).

Hoong Thip is a good inexpensive hotel: 600/800THB + Breakfast (WIFI downstairs though).

I took my girlfriend at the time to Savannakhet with me for a double entry tourist visa 18 months ago. We went over the friendship bridge and she just had her Thai ID. There was a holiday in Laos and we had to spend an extra night which meant she would be overstaying her allotted time. We just went to the local police station and gave 200THB and she got 3 more days (or whatever it was).

Hoong Thip is a good inexpensive hotel: 600/800THB + Breakfast (WIFI downstairs though).

Thanks for the tip. But I plan on doing this run to Vientiane, not Savannakhet.

Souphaphone GH

2 blocks to the river, 2 blocks to the circle.

nice an clean

170,0000 for a double

or around the corner Mixay Paradise with breakfast smaller rooms, popular with backpackers as they also offer fan rooms

but ok

Riverside has a nice night market as well

Further from the river (other side of the circle) Mali Namphu GH set around a nice garden where u have breakfast. $35 or so

Note there lots of coffee shops near the circle that have fast wifi

I like Vientiane. some very good Italian and french restaurants .

Just ask at the desk about renting a motorcycle plenty within walking distance

Sorry about ur bad experience in Phuket, been here going on 30 years ONLY2 accidents.

Souphaphone GH

nice an clean

170,0000 for a double

or around the corner Mixay Paradise with breakfast smaller rooms, popular with backpackers as they also offer fan rooms

but ok

Further from the river (other side of the circle) Mali Namphu GH set around a nice garden where u have breakfast. $35 or so

Sorry about ur bad experience in Phuket, been here going on 30 years ONLY2 accidents.

Thanks Richard. I am here in Thailand to enjoy myself. And what I enjoy is being in, on, or around water. I gave Phuket a good chance, five years in fact, I lived in a quiet jungle setting in the North, then right in the heart of Phuket town, and then right on the beach on the west coast. But, the traffic has now gotten out of hand, and the road infrastructure will NEVER catch up because of the corruption skimming off the new project monies. Add to that the new tourist demographic, Morrocans, Indians and Chinese and it is a done deal. The Morrocans hire the big 300cc scooters and ride like maniacs, the buses for the Chinese are clogging every road. My last accident saw me laid up for 6 months and in a great deal of pain. Fortunately I escaped with my life and now live on the side of a mountain in the jungle. A lovely brand new house on a little land. I am a five minute ride from the beach. The only thing I am missing from Phuket is the big Super Cheap.

I have had my drivers and bike licence since 17 birthday. I have driven every day for some of my previous jobs. I have also driven and ridden all over the world. I have held a gold licence for over 20 years. Up until coming to Thailand I had NEVER had an accident while driving a car or a bike on a road. (I have had a few spills riding bikes offroad). In Phuket I had three in 15 month's, not one of them my fault, and the other driver fleeing the scene on all three occasions.

With regard to renting a bike. Not after one in Laos. I want to ride around Isaan for a few weeks after I make my visa. And so I am looking for a trustworthy place to rent a bike in Udon Thani or Nong Khai. In the past I rented in Udon, but that business appears to have now closed. I am looking forward to some nice fresh bread with butter in Vientiane....ahhhhhhh....fresh butter.

Thanks KB for the link. But still not a definitive answer.

Is there any member out there who can confirm that a Loas border pass issued for a Thai is good for 3 days and two nights?

If that is true then we might be good to go.

Just want to get a new double entry tourist visa in Vientiane and spend an extra day having a look around the city. Three days should suffice.

Also has anyone got any recent reports on a clean cheap hotel with wifi.

Why don't you just check the Laos immigration webpage?

Souphaphone GH

nice an clean

170,0000 for a double

but ok

Thanks Richard. I am here in Thailand to enjoy myself. And what I enjoy is being in, on, or around water. I gave Phuket a good chance, five years in fact, I lived in a quiet jungle setting in the North, then right in the heart of Phuket town, and then right on the beach on the west coast. But, the traffic has now gotten out of hand, and the road infrastructure will NEVER catch up because of the corruption skimming off the new project monies. Add to that the new tourist demographic, Morrocans, Indians and Chinese and it is a done deal. The Morrocans hire the big 300cc scooters and ride like maniacs, the buses for the Chinese are clogging every road. My last accident saw me laid up for 6 months and in a great deal of pain. Fortunately I escaped with my life and now live on the side of a mountain in the jungle. A lovely brand new house on a little land. I am a five minute ride from the beach. The only thing I am missing from Phuket is the big Super Cheap.

I have had my drivers and bike licence since 17 birthday. I have driven every day for some of my previous jobs. I have also driven and ridden all over the world. I have held a gold licence for over 20 years. Up until coming to Thailand I had NEVER had an accident while driving a car or a bike on a road. (I have had a few spills riding bikes offroad). In Phuket I had three in 15 month's, not one of them my fault, and the other driver fleeing the scene on all three occasions.

Hey Richard thanks for the head up on Mixay Paradise. I have google it and it seems perfect. However, I cannot find it anywhere on site such as Booking.com or agoda. I also can not find their phone number. I found there facebook page but I don't do facebook.

Can you please let me know how you go about booking it when you stayed in the past?

I understand that there is also the old mixay accross the road from the new Paradise. But the reviews seems to point to staying at the Paradise as the better option.

Phuket is the closest for us. Nope won't be going back there unless wild elephants are dragging me.

It only takes a couple of hours at the most for her to apply for the passport. Then the new one is sent by EMS in a few days.

Getting a border pass can delay you getting across the bridge which can be important if you are going to be tight on time to get to the embassy to apply for your visa. The offices to get them may not be open until 8 or 8:30.

It only takes a couple of hours at the most for her to apply for the passport. Then the new one is sent by EMS in a few days.

Getting a border pass can delay you getting across the bridge which can be important if you are going to be tight on time to get to the embassy to apply for your visa. The offices to get them may not be open until 8 or 8:30.

Thanks Joe. If...I have to go to Phuket for some reason in the interim I may get her a new passport. I understand that when applied for in Phuket the application has to be then sent up to Grungthep. There was a huge delay in Thai obtaining a passport in Phuket during the protests because of this. If her application has to be sent up to Bangkok, I would be very suprised if it makes it back here to the jungle in "a few days". Another problem also is I am not even sure if the mail man can find our new house in the forest. Haven't seen a mail man yet on our closest road.

I guess if in Phuket we can make the application and then hope the new passport arrives in time. If it doesn't we can then just rely on the border pass.

Regarding timing, my current extension dries up (unfortunately on a Monday). And so I plan on burning that day being a tourist rather than facing the massive lines at the consulate on that day. Will then apply on Tuesday and then pick up o Wednesday. So a three day, two night border pass should be fit for purpose.

Joe, is it still the case that no air tickets are required for a double entry tourist visa at Vientiane.

And also am I ok to leave Thailand on the last day of my current extension. For example if my passport is stamped "admitted until 4 June". I can exit at Nongkhai on the 4th and not have any problems.

Once the application is made the passport is done in Bangkok and mailed from there. I have never heard of it taking more than a week to get the passport. The postman will find your house if it is an EMS delivery.

No tickets needed for the visa.

You can leave on the 4th without a problem.

Dumb question, but your girl does not need you to get the passport herself. You don't need to go anywhere. She applies for it and then pays 60 baht for it to be express posted to her.

Renewed my passport just before songkran. Got it in three days. Was posted the day after I applied.

• Like 1

Motorbike rental in nong khai - outside the entrance of the mut mee guest house you will find mr nuei, ok rentals but try one or two. 200Baht a day, but less if renting longer. You can leave your bags and what not at the guest house as well.

One thing has taught me in all my trips to Vientiane, dont go cheap on a hotel. I stay at either the AV or the green park boutique hotel. for the little bit extra I think the girlfriend will enjoy it.