4 day stay in Vientiane, with Thai GF, she has no passport

Nong Khai City Hotel has motorbikes for 150 baht a day, hotel is great 500 baht and a Good Soi for bars, go to Maes across from Hotel, English spoken good food, also great Food at Jing Joes, John runs it Great guy, also DD restaurant is Fantastic, a lil Chinese style but they have some Hot Woks.

Edited by Dannyboy666

With regard to renting a bike. Not after one in Laos. I want to ride around Isaan for a few weeks after I make my visa. And so I am looking for a trustworthy place to rent a bike in Udon Thani or Nong Khai. In the past I rented in Udon, but that business appears to have now closed. I am looking forward to some nice fresh bread with butter in Vientiane....ahhhhhhh....fresh butter.

. There's a lil motorbike shop across from Top Mansion, Nana Place Hotel Which I love Great Beds and TV channels. Soi Farang Edited by Dannyboy666

it's been about 5 yrs ago I was in Ventienne for 3-4 days with GF. She spoke Lao. Nice town to see for a few days, has a French feel, not that big considering it's a capitol. Embassy not that fun, it's a 2 day deal. Stayed at the Hotel Khamvongsa, pretty, good location near river, in the $40 US range I think ( hotelkhamvongsa.com , phone #'s under directions tab). Two others I remember are the Lao Orchid and the Inter Hotel. You can check trip advisor. Enjoy your trip.

With regard to renting a bike. Not after one in Laos. I want to ride around Isaan for a few weeks after I make my visa. And so I am looking for a trustworthy place to rent a bike in Udon Thani or Nong Khai. In the past I rented in Udon, but that business appears to have now closed. I am looking forward to some nice fresh bread with butter in Vientiane....ahhhhhhh....fresh butter.

. There's a lil motorbike shop across from Top Mansion, Nana Place Hotel Which I love Great Beds and TV channels. Soi Farang

This is the rental business I referred to earlier in the thread. The salon across the road from Top Mansion in Udon. I had both her hard line and mobile phone number but when calling the other day it appears she has shut up shop. Happy for someone to confirm otherwise.

Nong Khai City Hotel has motorbikes for 150 baht a day, hotel is great 500 baht and a Good Soi for bars, go to Maes across from Hotel, English spoken good food, also great Food at Jing Joes, John runs it Great guy, also DD restaurant is Fantastic, a lil Chinese style but they have some Hot Woks.

Thanks. I will call the NKCH and see if they have bikes for 150 a day. That is what I have paid in the past in Udon.

As for a good hotel in NK I always stay at a family run one on rimkong road. Been there five or six times now. Never dissapointed, room is always cleaned spotless every morning and good view from the roof. Large rooms but basic with no fridge. 350 per night.

Thanks UJ and Mario for your input.

Plan is now taking shape (prices are x2 as girl will also be coming along):

1. Ride my own bike from our spot here in the jungle down to Phuket and park up for free at the airport. Put a good lock on the bike and take our helmets with us.
  2. Fly Air Asia to Udon Thani 1290THB one way. Take helmets on as hand luggage.
  3. Get the shuttle bus from UT airport to Nong khai 200THB and then rent a bike from the NKCHotel for 150THB per day
  4. Ride out to the girl's farm in the boonies and set up camp in the rice workers shed for a few nights
  5. Attempt to catch a Mekong catfish or two
  6. Ride back into Nong Khai on the morning my current visa expires and park up on the Thai side of the bridge. Put another good lock on the bike
  7. Head over to Vientiane and spend a day having a look around
  8. Off to the consulate early on the second day to apply for a double tourist visa
  9. Pick up the following morning and back across the bridge to NK.
  10. Return the rental bike (if not stolen) and get the shuttle bus back to Udon Thani airport
  11. Fly back to Phuket 1290THB
  12. Unlock my bike at the airport and kick start it because the battery will be flat
  13. Ride back up to the jungle

Am I missing anything important?

Ubon Joe, is it still possible to park a bike for a few nights on the Thai side of the bridge? How much does it cost and is it secured at night?

3 days / 2 nights

From what I remember, they have to use their Thai ID and acquire a special paper permission before arriving at border control to cross over from Thailand into Laos. Doesn't cost much, but sometimes takes time. Sometimes we went to a government building, other times just used the closest travel agent before arriving at border control. Have to cross back using the same border control.

As I usually cross over the bridge on foot, then take the train back over we like having a Passport. Much more flexible.

3 days / 2 nights

From what I remember, they have to use their Thai ID and acquire a special paper permission before arriving at border control to cross over from Thailand into Laos. Doesn't cost much, but sometimes takes time. Sometimes we went to a government building, other times just used the closest travel agent before arriving at border control. Have to cross back using the same border control.

As I usually cross over the bridge on foot, then take the train back over we like having a Passport. Much more flexible.

Thanks RC for your input.

About five years ago I took my then TGF and her mother and aunty across to Laos for a day shopping. We crossed at the bridge at Nong Khai. My girl had a passport, but I am absolutely certain that her mother and aunty did not. The mother and aunty made their border passes right there at the immigration on the bridge while I was stamping out of Thailand.

Can anyone please confirm that it is still possible to make the border pass application at the Thai Immigration on the bridge at Nong Khai.

The mother and aunty made their border passes right there at the immigration on the bridge while I was stamping out of Thailand.

Can anyone please confirm that it is still possible to make the border pass application at the Thai Immigration on the bridge at Nong Khai.

With your Gf's Thai Passport you are a bit stubborn, you could also have gone more early to Isaan, as you anyway look for a Motorbike-Scooter trip and made the Passport easy in Udon Thani during riding a tour. wink.png

Your memory, regarding the Border Pass at the bridge complex and at the Thai Immigration is not 100 % ok.

You have the possibility about 200 m before the bridge, on the right hand side in some travel agencies, next to a 7/11 and a lot of car parkiing space, to make that border pass for a fee for you.

BUT, I recommand,

you easy can do that cheaper alone, just drive straight the High Way road into Nong Khai,

not to the bridge.

When you come into the outskirts of Nong Khai, keep your eye always on the left side,

your GF should have the possibility to see or read something regarding border pass on a smaller official building.

You drive inside threw a gate and there is a bigger parking space.

Or just ask, half way from the outskirts into Nong Khai center on the big highway.

There you can make your border pass easy yourself. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Bulldozer Dawn - I live in Nong Khai and have visited Laos with my Thai wife a couple of times. I just asked her - ID for one day only. When we have visited for longer she used her passport. As for a motor bike, the following 'phone number is that of a mate of mine who rents bikes from his restaurant - Jing Jao. Give him a ring if you wish, I have just spoken with him - Name is John - good luck

Souphaphone GH

2 blocks to the river, 2 blocks to the circle.

nice an clean

170,0000 for a double

or around the corner Mixay Paradise with breakfast smaller rooms, popular with backpackers as they also offer fan rooms

but ok

Riverside has a nice night market as well

Further from the river (other side of the circle) Mali Namphu GH set around a nice garden where u have breakfast. $35 or so

Note there lots of coffee shops near the circle that have fast wifi

I like Vientiane. some very good Italian and french restaurants .

Just ask at the desk about renting a motorcycle plenty within walking distance

Sorry about ur bad experience in Phuket, been here going on 30 years ONLY2 accidents.

Thanks Richard. I am here in Thailand to enjoy myself. And what I enjoy is being in, on, or around water. I gave Phuket a good chance, five years in fact, I lived in a quiet jungle setting in the North, then right in the heart of Phuket town, and then right on the beach on the west coast. But, the traffic has now gotten out of hand, and the road infrastructure will NEVER catch up because of the corruption skimming off the new project monies. Add to that the new tourist demographic, Morrocans, Indians and Chinese and it is a done deal. The Morrocans hire the big 300cc scooters and ride like maniacs, the buses for the Chinese are clogging every road. My last accident saw me laid up for 6 months and in a great deal of pain. Fortunately I escaped with my life and now live on the side of a mountain in the jungle. A lovely brand new house on a little land. I am a five minute ride from the beach. The only thing I am missing from Phuket is the big Super Cheap.

I have had my drivers and bike licence since 17 birthday. I have driven every day for some of my previous jobs. I have also driven and ridden all over the world. I have held a gold licence for over 20 years. Up until coming to Thailand I had NEVER had an accident while driving a car or a bike on a road. (I have had a few spills riding bikes offroad). In Phuket I had three in 15 month's, not one of them my fault, and the other driver fleeing the scene on all three occasions.

Hey Richard thanks for the head up on Mixay Paradise. I have google it and it seems perfect. However, I cannot find it anywhere on site such as Booking.com or agoda. I also can not find their phone number. I found there facebook page but I don't do facebook.

Can you please let me know how you go about booking it when you stayed in the past?

I understand that there is also the old mixay accross the road from the new Paradise. But the reviews seems to point to staying at the Paradise as the better option.

I just show up :-)

The Souphaphone GH is right around the corner an on that road are a few others,same price as Mixay

IF u stay at Mixay make sure u mention u want a room with a WINDOW not the cheaper interior non window room

+856 21 254 223-4

eMAIL; [email protected]

Its right across from the Wat

Edited by phuketrichard

Bulldozer Dawn - I live in Nong Khai and have visited Laos with my Thai wife a couple of times. I just asked her - ID for one day only. When we have visited for longer she used her passport. As for a motor bike, the following 'phone number is that of a mate of mine who rents bikes from his restaurant - Jing Jao. Give him a ring if you wish, I have just spoken with him - Name is John - good luck

TN. Your a late comer to the thread and you have thrown a spanner in the works. Others here, including the SAGE Ubon Joe have confirmed the border pass is good for 2 nights/3 days.

So who is correct, Ubon Joe and TB....or Tassie Norm.

Can anyone else clarify if the border pass is only good for a day or is it good for 2 nights and 3 days.

Souphaphone GH

2 blocks to the river, 2 blocks to the circle.

nice an clean

170,0000 for a double

or around the corner Mixay Paradise with breakfast smaller rooms, popular with backpackers as they also offer fan rooms

but ok

Riverside has a nice night market as well

Further from the river (other side of the circle) Mali Namphu GH set around a nice garden where u have breakfast. $35 or so

Note there lots of coffee shops near the circle that have fast wifi

I like Vientiane. some very good Italian and french restaurants .

Just ask at the desk about renting a motorcycle plenty within walking distance

Sorry about ur bad experience in Phuket, been here going on 30 years ONLY2 accidents.

Thanks Richard. I am here in Thailand to enjoy myself. And what I enjoy is being in, on, or around water. I gave Phuket a good chance, five years in fact, I lived in a quiet jungle setting in the North, then right in the heart of Phuket town, and then right on the beach on the west coast. But, the traffic has now gotten out of hand, and the road infrastructure will NEVER catch up because of the corruption skimming off the new project monies. Add to that the new tourist demographic, Morrocans, Indians and Chinese and it is a done deal. The Morrocans hire the big 300cc scooters and ride like maniacs, the buses for the Chinese are clogging every road. My last accident saw me laid up for 6 months and in a great deal of pain. Fortunately I escaped with my life and now live on the side of a mountain in the jungle. A lovely brand new house on a little land. I am a five minute ride from the beach. The only thing I am missing from Phuket is the big Super Cheap.

I have had my drivers and bike licence since 17 birthday. I have driven every day for some of my previous jobs. I have also driven and ridden all over the world. I have held a gold licence for over 20 years. Up until coming to Thailand I had NEVER had an accident while driving a car or a bike on a road. (I have had a few spills riding bikes offroad). In Phuket I had three in 15 month's, not one of them my fault, and the other driver fleeing the scene on all three occasions.

Hey Richard thanks for the head up on Mixay Paradise. I have google it and it seems perfect. However, I cannot find it anywhere on site such as Booking.com or agoda. I also can not find their phone number. I found there facebook page but I don't do facebook.

Can you please let me know how you go about booking it when you stayed in the past?

I understand that there is also the old mixay accross the road from the new Paradise. But the reviews seems to point to staying at the Paradise as the better option.

I just show up :-)

The Souphaphone GH is right around the corner an on that road are a few others,same price as Mixay

IF u stay at Mixay make sure u mention u want a room with a WINDOW not the cheaper interior non window room

+856 21 254 223-4

eMAIL; [email protected]

Its right across from the Wat

PR Thanks again for your input.

What are the breakfasts like?

The mother and aunty made their border passes right there at the immigration on the bridge while I was stamping out of Thailand.

With your Gf's Thai Passport you are a bit stubborn, you could also have gone more early to Isaan, as you anyway look for a Motorbike-Scooter trip and made the Passport easy in Udon Thani during riding a tour. wink.png

Your memory, regarding the Border Pass at the bridge complex and at the Thai Immigration is not 100 % ok.

You have the possibility about 200 m before the bridge, on the right hand side in some travel agencies, next to a 7/11 and a lot of car parkiing space, to make that border pass for a fee for you.

BUT, I recommand,

you easy can do that cheaper alone, just drive straight the High Way road into Nong Khai,

not to the bridge.

When you come into the outskirts of Nong Khai, keep your eye always on the left side,

your GF should have the possibility to see or read something regarding border pass on a smaller official building.

Or just ask, half way from the outskirts into Nong Khai center on the big highway.

Thanks Alfredo. I wasn't aware you can make a border pass at an office away from the bridge. Can you confirm that the pass is good for 2 nights/3 days?

And also, you advice regarding making the passport application in Udon Thani is also a suggestion with a good deal of merit. I would save a visit to Phuket.

• Like 1

BUT, I recommand,

not to the bridge.

Thanks Alfredo. I wasn't aware you can make a border pass at an office away from the bridge. Can you confirm that the pass is good for 2 nights/3 days?

And also, you advice regarding making the passport application in Udon Thani is also a suggestion with a good deal of merit. I would save a visit to Phuket.

Still not clear why you need to go to Phuket for her to do the passport application. All she needs is an ID card and 30 mins. She probably could have been there and back now in the time this thread has run.... Edited by samran

BUT, I recommand,

not to the bridge.

Still not clear why you need to go to Phuket for her to do the passport application. All she needs is an ID card and 30 mins. She probably could have been there and back now in the time this thread has run....

Where abouts in Phuket town is the passport office?

Bulldozer Dawn - I live in Nong Khai and have visited Laos with my Thai wife a couple of times. I just asked her - ID for one day only. When we have visited for longer she used her passport.

TN. Your a late comer to the thread and you have thrown a spanner in the works. Others here, including the SAGE Ubon Joe have confirmed the border pass is good for 2 nights/3 days.

Can anyone else clarify if the border pass is only good for a day or is it good for 2 nights and 3 days.

Presentation of Thai ID card only at Border Control is good for Same Day crossing Only.

Arranging a border "Pass" (government office or travel agent) prior to crossing and presenting at Border Control allows 3-day/2-nights.

Edited by RichCor

Bulldozer Dawn - I live in Nong Khai and have visited Laos with my Thai wife a couple of times. I just asked her - ID for one day only. When we have visited for longer she used her passport.

Presentation of Thai ID card only at Border Control is good for Same Day crossing Only.

Arranging a border "Pass" (government office or travel agent) prior to crossing and presenting at Border Control allows 3-day/2-nights.

Great work RC Thanks for clearing that up.

BUT, I recommand,

not to the bridge.

Still not clear why you need to go to Phuket for her to do the passport application. All she needs is an ID card and 30 mins. She probably could have been there and back now in the time this thread has run....

Where abouts in Phuket town is the passport office?

In the provincial office building by the looks of it

http://dawninphuket.blogspot.com/p/government-offices.html

Ok.

Sorry Ubon Joe and Mario, but I have to ask for your input once more.

I had reason to open my safe today. And contrary to what the girlfriend told me her passport has not expired.

It expires on 6 August. If we crossed over the bridge on say 4 July, would there be any reason that Thai immigration would not let her leave Thailand or Laos immigration would not give her a VOA/visa exempt stamp.

Put another way: When we attempt to cross into Laos the GFs passport will have 32 day validity left before it expires. Any problems?

Officially the passport must be valid for at least 6 months to enter Laos. Better not risk it.

National Thailand (TH) /Embarkation Thailand (TH) Destination Lao People's Dem. Rep. (LA)
vi_de.gif
Lao People's Dem. Rep. (LA)

in_on_no.gif
Passport required
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
for at least 6 months from date of arrival.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days for nationals

of Thailand.
Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay.

Officially the passport must be valid for at least 6 months to enter Laos. Better not risk it.

National Thailand (TH) /Embarkation Thailand (TH) Destination Lao People's Dem. Rep. (LA)

vi_de.gif

Lao People's Dem. Rep. (LA)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months from date of arrival.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days for nationals

of Thailand.

Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to

cover their stay.

Thanks Mario. Looks like I am back to the boder pass done at the office in Nong khai as per Alfredo's suggestion. Good for 3 days and 2 nights.

BUT, I recommand,

not to the bridge.

Sorry, no. Cannot confirm, how long border pass is ok.

Great work RC Thanks for clearing that up.

I doubt that -easy possibility- 1 day = same day crossing = only Thai ID-card enough. whistling.gif

I went many time over the border crossings in Vientiane and Savannaketh in the last 17 years,

cannot remember, to have witnessed such a ID-card only crossing.

Most Thais go only for same day crossings, returning same day for sight seeing, shopping and Casino purposes.

Not much business for the Government office and the travel agencies left, with the sleep overs than.

Present a LINK -RichCor- thank you. I think, what -RichCor- mentions is a -border Pass- = ID card, copies and some Government stamps. rolleyes.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/555254-thai-visiting-laos-with-id-card-but-no-passport/

Edited by ALFREDO