Kids?

Jockstar

Hi guys. Hope you can help with my question. I am 32 years old and my wife is 34. We are moving back to Oz in about 5 weeks. We want to have kids. But the time is not right financally etc etc. Currently i have PR and the wife has provisional residence, eventually leading to PR. We dont want to have a baby till everything is right. But the questions are. If the wife got pregnant in our first year there(i'm not planning on this i can assure you, But i am just asking ), what would happen?Ie, would she be covered by medicare? Would she get help from the government? I dont think we could go there and say BTW the wife is pregnant, help us out!(or am i wrong) I thought after 2 years there then you are entitled to help from the government etc. I am not a dole bludger. I have never been on the dole for more than 5 days in my life. But i just would like to know where we stand. If that all makes sense, then can you give me your views etc. Thanks in advance! BTW this is my first post in this part of the forum! :D:o:D

I dont know what provisional residence is ? has she lived in Oz before ? under what status ?

When my missus moved to Oz several years ago, we now live in Los, she was not entitled to any form of government assistance such as medicare and unemployment etc for a period of I think from memory it was 1 year after she was granted PR.

Jockstar, I think you misunderstood. PR (in Aust) means Permanent Resident which have the same privilege as the citizens but have no right to vote.

As such you and your wife are entitled to any government assistance such as Medicare, and everything else for that matter. As soon as you settle, apply yourself and your wife a medicare card. You never know when you will get sick. And beleive me, if you don't have a medicare protection, it will cost you a fortune just to see a doctor for 5 minutes.

Any if you and your wife are actually PRs, (make sure you're right on this), you will get AUD$5,000 from the government to start with.

Good luck.

Edited by Thai-Aust

I have Permanent Residence. The wife has a provisional residence which is a spouse visa. In 2 years it leads to Permanent residence. Just to clear that up. I posted on another forum regarding this and got the answer. Basically she is not entitled to government hands regaring dole etc. Buts kids are different. She will get the 4k and 200 dollars a fortnight at the least.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no provisional residence status.

I can assure that its is provisional(spouse visa) leading to PR in 2 years. Its say provisional on the visa in her passport.

$4K for having a baby in Oz and a friends wife gets 200 a fortnight aswell. Virtually the same circumstances as us. Their baby was born in Thailand aswell and not Oz.

Mate,

if it hasn't been said, you can just claim everything through you.

Baby bonus definetly. Family Benefit Part B also, which is a bit less than $200 a fortnight.

Key criteria is you have to be resident there. Me, I'm a citizen, but not a resident (owing to being in BKK). So I get sweet FA.

• 2 months later...
Mate,

Baby bonus definetly. Family Benefit Part B also, which is a bit less than $200 a fortnight.

Key criteria is you have to be resident there. Me, I'm a citizen, but not a resident (owing to being in BKK). So I get sweet FA.

Anyone know if you're still eligible for the Australian Baby Bonus if you're an Australian citizen but happen to give birth overseas?

just to clear up some stuff

the provisional resident sub class 309 is a spouse visa and first step for PR, they are entitled to medicare but not the dole.

the next one is a class BC resident, sub class 100 you get the dole then.

this baby stuff is new and is a vote grabber from costello and howard.

Mate,

depending on salaries, I get $45 a fortnight for stepson

Mate,

depending on salaries, I get $45 a fortnight for stepson

that will get you a slab of coopers won't it? :o

I'm just jealous that his little taker will have Australian, Thai and EU citizenships. A true citizen of the world.