Bike color - helmet color, what do you do to be visible for safety?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard in an urban environment the grey and silvers are the cars most likely to have an accident. Don't know if it's true.

With regard to bike colour, go for a black if it makes you happy - red often seems to fade in the sun here anyway.

At the end of the day, drivers don't give a flying one about bikes, whatever the colour, they pull out because they have no intelligence / training and are plain impatient and ignorant.

I bought a revit h2o cyclone jacket from Panda for 2000b in hiviz green, I think that really helps in the rain.

I think, a combination of hiviz helmets, running lights and loud pipes works with big bikes, because the locals associate them with speed / danger / expense and angry bikers.

When I'm riding my wave, I need to change my attitude because drivers behave differently and often bully you out of the way or take risks that they wouldn't necessarily do with a bigger bike.

I think WHITE is the safest color. All our family helmets are white for that reason.

I'm one of the few who consistently wears one in my beach community. The law is never enforced.

You may consider high vis or bright colours if you choose, but as an experienced motorcyclist for me the best strategy is assume you are invisible.

Ride defensively take nothing for granted and you will survive. Never rely on the skill or manners or powers of observation of other road users.

always drive with your headlight turned on, day and night, There is a reason why headlights have to be turned on daytime in many european countries.

Some even use hi-beam daylight, but i believe this is actually illegal.

Only white is well seen at night, anything else can only proposed by people who know nothing...

As a stand alone base colour it could be argued that white is the best. Followed closely by lighter helmets.

Of course the reverse could be argued that therefore black is best for daytime use.

The latest research says the best thing is to be working on various means to break your outline against its background.

At night it is suggested the best material is reflective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-visibility_clothing

There are reflective spray paints that are expensive (around US$20 or more per can), but still much cheaper than the post earlier which looks like it would run a couple hundred dollars.

Anyway, I'd like to have a can or two of the invisible reflective spray, but it seems that spray paints cannot be sent on airplanes. About a year ago I asked a local Chiang Mai paint store if they could order some. They liked the idea of the product, but cannot seem to find a supplier in Thailand.

If anyone knows how to get some of this to Thailand, please private message me. Thank you.

http://www.creativesafetysupply.com/reflect-all-spray/#reviews

Only white is well seen at night, anything else can only proposed by people who know nothing...

well, no.. A dark surface is visible in dark conditions from a distance of about 20-30 meters from a car normal headlight (Not hi-beam) a white surface is visible on about dubble the distance, 60 meter. but if you have a reflex that reflexes the light the surface is visible at 125meters. With no light source nothing is visible at all.

http://www.ntf.se/konsument/gaende/reflexer/

I had the very same spray can as shown a few years back, not very effective.

It has a very weak retro-reflectivity ability, nowhere near as effective as any tape

I tried it on Fabrics, Leather, Glass, and on vehicle bumper, and even directly on a car's panelwork

It is very temporary, just like the temp marking stuff to spray highlights on an athletics running track.

A waste of time, effort and money

There was one one instance of relatively better result, but it was with the car, not a bike.

I sprayed the inside surfaces of the rear and side glass of the old mazda wagon.

The retro worked! (not very bright though), but because it was inside, it didn't wear off due to weather, or wind.

One avenue worth following, is to contract your local road works authority, as there is a commercial product that is sometimes used to apply to road curbs.

There are reflective spray paints that are expensive (around US$20 or more per can), but still much cheaper than the post earlier which looks like it would run a couple hundred dollars.

Anyway, I'd like to have a can or two of the invisible reflective spray, but it seems that spray paints cannot be sent on airplanes. About a year ago I asked a local Chiang Mai paint store if they could order some. They liked the idea of the product, but cannot seem to find a supplier in Thailand.

If anyone knows how to get some of this to Thailand, please private message me. Thank you.

http://www.creativesafetysupply.com/reflect-all-spray/#reviews

hehe, yes, the reflective spray is mostly used in licens plates for cars so when the radar photo boots takes a picture the plate is unreadable on the picture ;)

Wait until after you have healed to pick out the car. Definitely get the insurance with the scooter as you will need it all. Do not take a moto taxi to the clinic or hospital everyday. Get a Japanese or Korean car so parts are available. Then have the car painted DAYGLOW orange and trick it out like a Mad Max movie but with flashing multicolored lights all around. Wear your helmet, the neck brace and Kevlar body armor as it will be much more comfortable with the air conditioning. Also get a car video camera mounted to use in court. This is a cheap investment IMHO.

hehe, yes, the reflective spray is mostly used in licens plates for cars so when the radar photo boots takes a picture the plate is unreadable on the picture wink.png

if it glowed enough such that a photo could not show detail, then it would also glow just as brightly

- when a Police car's headlight shown on the plate, and

you'll find yourself bringing the wallet out to dispense T-money...

No, it's more likely the story you heard missed the detail that dudes were spraying it on the inside of a clear plastic licence plate cover.

The layer of material obscures the image quite well

- a bit like when you apply some 'Contact' inside the cover.

Yeah! I've done of these silly things over the years...

You may consider high vis or bright colours if you choose, but as an experienced motorcyclist for me the best strategy is assume you are invisible.

Ride defensively take nothing for granted and you will survive. Never rely on the skill or manners or powers of observation of other road users.

Great advice and top post.

You really are at their (box operators) mercy.

Personally, I ride defensively and aggressively.

Great advice and top post.

You really are at their (box operators) mercy.

Personally, I ride defensively and aggressively.

Thanks Soihok a man who knows, leave them to the discussion on colour, it's all about never trusting the box operators never putting your life in the hands of others.

Rubber side down.

We're not on about the best or only strategy.

Ride how you ride with no such gear, ride how you ride with such gear. More chance of you getting home with the latter.

I saw a scooter driver in passenger in Ubon both wearing helmets, both with headband lamps on their helmets. They were noticeable.

Just having a working headlight and tail light makes you more visible that most scooters in the roads around here.

I take it you are very experienced on 2 wheels.

It takes experience to judge what may happen in front (sadly behind is another matter - to a certain extent) on how the other road users around you are behaving, its best to anticipate the worst in my opinion.

Unfortunately. no one can be prepared for the totally unexpected - lets just say thats life.

Perhaps my riding style (some of the time) really doesn't give bikers a good image when I am on the move dodging box's, but at least I make my presence known.

As you say - Rubber Side Down thumbsup.gif (talking of which - where is he?)

1). Buy a very thin, ( about thin as fly fishing rod ), piece of metal

2). Fasten it to the rear axle and it will move back and forth easily above &

behind drivers head.

3). You can then mount a colorful ping pong ball on top for visibility &

at night put on one of those tiny flashers you see everywhere.

behind drivers head.

If you are going to go to that extent, you may as well make a fool out of yourself.

A bit like this?

article-2402039-1B745C95000005DC-85_960x

behind drivers head.

If you are going to go to that extent, you may as well make a fool out of yourself.

A bit like this?

article-2402039-1B745C95000005DC-85_960x

I know that guy! He is Richard Head, but most people call him Dick.

I think WHITE is the safest color. All our family helmets are white for that reason.

I'm one of the few who consistently wears one in my beach community. The law is never enforced.

Are your bikes, also white?

Swap the exhaust for something louder (but not obnoxiously so). When cars change lanes they often can't see you, but at least can hear you. For the same reason I recommend putting on a loud pair of horns too. I had twin Bosch which sounded like a very loud car rather than the the beep beep of a typical motorcycle.

How do you swap the exhaust?

And how do you put on a loud pair of horns?

Wait until after you have healed to pick out the car. Definitely get the insurance with the scooter as you will need it all. Do not take a moto taxi to the clinic or hospital everyday. Get a Japanese or Korean car so parts are available. Then have the car painted DAYGLOW orange and trick it out like a Mad Max movie but with flashing multicolored lights all around. Wear your helmet, the neck brace and Kevlar body armor as it will be much more comfortable with the air conditioning. Also get a car video camera mounted to use in court. This is a cheap investment IMHO.

I was actually thinking about getting a tank. After all, it seems that on the test to get a license, a tank used in warfare, is legal to drive on the roads :P

I saw a scooter driver in passenger in Ubon both wearing helmets, both with headband lamps on their helmets. They were noticeable.

Just having a working headlight and tail light makes you more visible that most scooters in the roads around here.

Headband lamps on their helmets? Where can I get those?

behind drivers head.

at night put on one of those tiny flashers you see everywhere

I kinda actually like that idea of the fly fishing rod.

What tiny flashers?

Archived