Bike color - helmet color, what do you do to be visible for safety?

I was going to buy a Black Click 2015, only because I think the three other colors that they come in are boring. (a boring blue, and a boring red, and white. But then I read the black stands out the least.

Most of the research I've done, yellow is the safest color, then orange, then white. So maybe I should get the Click in white.

Does anybody here do anything to make themselves more visible? Bright clothing, reflective tape on their bikes and helmets, etc.?

(On the contrary, the Zoomer X - regarding colors, I think they do excellent marketing, their colors are hot - the orange, blue, yellow, green - but I don't think the bike has a nice feel to it.)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never chosen a bike or gear based on what color is the safest and I will definitely never wear a bright yellow helmet or wear a high vis jacket.

If it's good quality gear and looks good, that's enough for me.

But if that's what it takes for you to have more peace of mind while riding, go for it. Wish you many safe kms.

from 3M, you can get 'black' retro-reflective tape. I got some from eBay, over 10 years ago, mine in 1" strips but you get whatever thickness suits by choice. I've used it on forks, wheel rims etc

It's very subtle, and for also cars along the bumpers and extremities like your fender protection strips

availalble are: black, white, green, blue, red, yellow

I've read on helmet warnings - not to apply adhesive tapes to them, but hey! many helmets comes with some on'em, so why not more!!!

best locale for night effectiveness, is to apply strip along the inner rims, between the spokes. When wheel is rotating, the flashes from the tape makes you really stand out from the front and back. Have a random selection of 2 or 3 strips in a row, with large gaps until another strips of 3 a handfull of spokes further around the wheel. The trick to avoid negating the effect, is to not apply tape strips between every spoke, as you lose the effect of motion:

post-205215-0-21853200-1430836178_thumb.

If flashy colors and stickers are your style then go for it.

I think every extra bit that can help is good.

If you ride in groups its easier to follow a rider in a hiviz helmet or jacket.

I put glow in the dark and reflective tape on the back of my helmets and bikes often.

The GID is just cool to see when I enter a parking garage, but it's probably not very useful for safety.

The diamond/reflexite/prism style is the best kind of reflective sticker and this helps at night.

http://cargodefenders.town.ie/uploads/cargodefenders/content_images/reflective-tape.jpg

If you really want to be seen at night or in the rain then put led lights under your bike.

Cars definitely see my glowing blue bike coming up between lanes and any sober pedestrian should notice me when jaywalking.

I hear colored lights are illegal but I don't see cops pulling bikes over at night or in the rain often and every other taxi seems to run them too.

I also stitched strips of this on the back of a jacket in a V shape.

When people followed me they used these strips to pick me out of a crowd but not my yellow helmet.

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120302/Sew_on_Reflective_Tape_for_Garments_Safety.jpg

You can get strips of it at the safety shop in the basement of Fortune Town on Ratchadaphisek.

A few things to consider. Yes a brighter colour helmet will get you noticed better than a black or dark helmet for most of the time. But . .

It is only a small part of the overall picture. If you want to give yourself the best chance of being seen then you have to consider day running lights, high vis jacket and also how you ride.

Even Fire Engines have people pull out on them.

Best way to attack is out of the sun because with the sun behind you nobody can see you.

Just your riding position in the road can put you into somebodies blind spot who is waiting at a junction.

Then there is also risk compensation: "I have my lights on, I am wearing High Viz, I am at the correct speed, he must have seen me!" - bang.

For the record. My helmet is matt black with reflective camouflage on it.

I've read on helmet warnings - not to apply adhesive tapes to them, but hey! many helmets comes with some on'em, so why not more!!!

The stickers that are on the helmets are applied with a special glue.

You can apply stickers and paint to fiberglass and similar resin manufactured helmets.

However paint solvents and some glue used it stickers can seriously damage and weaken plastic helmets.

There isnt something like "the safest color". Visibility always depends on the colors of the environment you are in. Current researches suggest that (at daylight/sunshine) high viz colors are better for city riding while dark colors are better in rural environment. There are some pros and cons for high viz imo. Consider that people in thailand arent used to them like the people in western countries are. This can be good or bad, depends on situation.

motorcycle-hi-vis-620x330.jpg

Great replies - thanks. I wish I could also have a reflective sign on the back of my back that reads "Back Off" or "Get off my @$$" - but, that would have to be translated into Thai.

I joked about getting a sticker that reads 'Relax, relax, why are you rushing?' on the rear windscreen of my car.

GF's simple reply, 'You want to get shot?'

Thais can be a bit, er, 'sensitive'. Often with 30 years of pent up frustrations coming out in less than 30 seconds.

You don't want to be on the receiving end. :D

But what would be great would be those LED screens that you can type out whatever, and it then runs across the LED screen. Then mount it on the rear bumper.

Your car would be mauled like something out of Resident Evil within 5 minutes of leaving your house.

Hmmm... not to be heartless here, but that would see like.... Target indentification... we have had a rash of bicyclists brothers hit,...

For the bikes.. I like the orange and yellow highlighted helmets... in fact 2 days ago, I have a orange accented helmet bimola... and of course I don't drive the bike a night too much.. just down to the 7-11.... which can be a thrill sometimes.

Keep alert..

Cheers Matethumbsup.gif

You can apply stickers and paint to fiberglass and similar resin manufactured helmets.

However paint solvents and some glue used it stickers can seriously damage and weaken plastic helmets.

I totally don't believe this.

Please prove me wrong.

(Evidence)

(DELETED)

Please prove me wrong.

(Evidence)

(DELETED)

Heres one to start you off http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2008/august/aug2808-motorcycle-helmet-care-advice-/

Please prove me wrong.

(Evidence)

Heres one to start you off http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2008/august/aug2808-motorcycle-helmet-care-advice-/

Just as I suspected.

Referenced article: just another unsupported opinion.

Please prove me wrong.

Just as I suspected.

Please prove me wrong.

(Evidence)

Please prove me wrong.

Please explain why you are so important I need to explain simple facts to you?

Please, go ahead. Cover your helmet in stickers, I am obviously so wrong on the subject. May I suggest a large sticker right across the front of your helmet as well.

Just as I suspected.

Please prove me wrong.

(Evidence)

Please prove me wrong.

Please explain why you are so important I need to explain simple facts to you?

Please, go ahead. Cover your helmet in stickers, I am obviously so wrong on the subject. May I suggest a large sticker right across the front of your helmet as well.

Carol:

(DELETED)

& where can I procure that 'special glue.'

I'm thinking any non-solvent based glue would be safe.

But I'm no advanced motorcycle instructor, so I defer to actual evidence.

Hmmm... not to be heartless here, but that would see like.... Target indentification... we have had a rash of bicyclists brothers hit,...

For the bikes.. I like the orange and yellow highlighted helmets... in fact 2 days ago, I have a orange accented helmet bimola... and of course I don't drive the bike a night too much.. just down to the 7-11.... which can be a thrill sometimes.

Keep alert..

Cheers Matethumbsup.gif

Papa Al....woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I knew nothing about the subject but it took me 5 seconds to find a reliable source of information. Since you don't trust CarolJ, maybe you can trust this guy?

Always buy a good helmet - I will never wear another Open Face helmet (like actually like having my teeth attached to my jaw and my jaw attached to my face).

Brighter the better (saying that I had been wearing a Grey color Arai RX7 for the last few years).

Papa Al....woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I knew nothing about the subject but it took me 5 seconds to find a reliable source of information. Since you don't trust CarolJ, maybe you can trust this guy?

Thank you OR.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The "reliable" guy in the clip stated his opinion without an iota of evidence to support it.

Yes or no?

So show me a polycarbonate helmet that has been compromised by a sticker.

That would be something.

"In God we trust; all others bring data."

Omegaracer doesn't care if you believe Carol, the MG of Arai in the UK or anyone else.

Omegaracer just thinks that if the issue is of such great importance to you, than you should get off TV and do your own research. Maybe you can come back afterwards with the data you crave so much and share it with us...

How about that? :-)

Swap the exhaust for something louder (but not obnoxiously so). When cars change lanes they often can't see you, but at least can hear you. For the same reason I recommend putting on a loud pair of horns too. I had twin Bosch which sounded like a very loud car rather than the the beep beep of a typical motorcycle.

Omegaracer doesn't care if you believe Carol, the MG of Arai in the UK or anyone else.

Omegaracer just thinks that if the issue is of such great importance to you, than you should get off TV and do your own research. Maybe you can come back afterwards with the data you crave so much and share it with us...

How about that? :-)

OR

Thanks for that.

To clarify:

The topic is of small importance to me; not great importance.

For some reason, when someone repeatedly posts questionable, unsupported assertions,

papa feels strangely compelled to ask for evidence.

My searches on this so far [industry materials data] suggest that polycarbonates are reasonably resistant to solvents.

Stickers really don't have a lot of solvent in them, do they?

I am totally open to data-/logic-derived evidence that supports Carol's position.

I "crave" to be shown any errors I've posted.

And I've been very wrong before.

(DELETED)

How about that?smile.png

Archived