Water Storage Butts

Dude, those tanks look good. How much if you don't mind sharing details?

Surely if they are made of cement and leak, you could always just spread a bit more cement over the holes when it's dry?

Are you putting fish in there to eat the mossies?

How often do you think you will have to scrub them out?

Maybe you could update the success of these butts?

Thanks

I just asked the missus, and she reckons they are for sale around here(we are based in Nong Khai) just not that popular any more.

Is there a reason why you want the clay ones over the plastic ones? MegaHome does the plastic ones and they are clay coloured so not that horrible bright blue or green. Also apparently the newer ones are made from cement rather than clay now.

As far as the farm situation goes, just have patience. Thai people have their own way of doing things, and from time to time I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall sometimes, even when I show them the proof of why something will work. I have learnt to take a more 'mai ben rai' attitude to the whole thing now. Just better not to expect anything other than the occasional misunderstanding that will make your life more difficult.

Keep your sense of humour at all times. Life in Udon is a lot more different than London mate. It normally takes me about 4 weeks of being there to appreciate it. Then I come back to London and have to get used to it all over again next time. My advice would be to move out there as soon as possible and supervise/do it all yourself.

Good luck.

The clay ones:

Look better than plastic ones

They are cheaper (if like someone in this thread says they are only 900 bt each)

I have read that they keep the water cooler (can't see why).

They are less likely to be stolen than the plastic ones as rather heavy.

Any idea how much the 2,000 liter ones are in Nong Khai?

Nothing better than the the sound of rain on a tin roof.biggrin.png

Nice sprayer btw,did you design it..

Hi Farmerjo, no I didn't design or build this airbus, a guy over at Noen Mapluang builds them. It was 70.000 baht 3.5 years back.

I wanted something a bit more sophisticated with an enclosed cab but the price was a bit steep! And it was all aimed at big orchards/farming anyway....and not available at a dealer near you....or me!

post-63954-0-43468900-1431864215_thumb.j

Maybe when she has 500 rai then we will look at the cost of bringing one in!

The clay ones:

Look better than plastic ones

They are cheaper (if like someone in this thread says they are only 900 bt each)

I have read that they keep the water cooler (can't see why).

They are less likely to be stolen than the plastic ones as rather heavy.

Any idea how much the 2,000 liter ones are in Nong Khai?

Hi,

I can't remember offhand, and I'm back in London now until September. The missus did say that most people make the clay looking ones out of cement now, look similar but will have different water holding properties

The plastic ones shouldn't get nicked when they are full of water (remember 1lt water=1kg) and I think it's probably too much hassle for your average thief to empty out all the water. Also, not sure if you have checked out the tanks in the DIY superstores yet, but some of them look like terracotta tanks (until you touch them).

Best of Luck.