BMA develops bike lanes on Saensaeb Canal

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The Bangkok Metropolitan is developing the existing walk paths along Klong Saensaeb into safe bike lanes, BMA city clerk Sanya Chinimitr said.

Sanya said the project is aimed at developing 13-kilometer-long bike lanes on both sides of the canal so that Bangkok residents can use the lanes for recreational riding and travelling.

Sanya has held a meeting of the Drainage and Sewerage Department, the Traffic and Transport Department, the Public Works Department and representatives of the districts where the bike lanes pass through.

Sanya was informed during the meeting that the BMA agencies concerned have surveyed the route to see what need to be done to complete the 13-km bike lanes.

Currently, there are two-meter-wide walk paths on the canal’s banks but the paths are not fully connected throughout the route. In the immediate measure, a temporary ways will be built for the missing parts of the paths, Sanya said.

Sanya said the paths are mostly used for walking and are sometimes used by cyclists. The city clerk said the BMA and the central government have the policy to develop standard bike lanes along the canal for exercise and recreational bike riding and travelling.

He said the bike lanes will be developed from Soi Ramkhamhaeng 67 in Klong Tan district through Wang Thong Lang, Bang Kapi, Saphan Sung, Buengkum, Khan Nayao, and Huay Kwang districts.

Sanya said the district offices concerned will improve the landscape along the route to be beautiful and the Public Works will repair the broken parts of the path and build connecting paths so that the entire 13-km lane will be connected.

The two lanes will be connected with wooden bridges at some spots and the Traffic and Transport will install the security cameras on the route, Sanya added.

I live alongside this canal and was originally delighted when they started to widen the footpath, I'd imagined a pleasant walkway, with maybe some refreshment stops, where I could have a stroll whilst avoiding the dangers of motorcyles on pavements and crossing the roads.

However this footpath has turned into a racetrack for youngsters on their motorcycles, some of the local residents have resorted to installing speed bumps in an attempt to slow these boy racers down.

Oooooh, don't fall in! Klongside paths are wonderful if measures are taken to keep motorcycles off. Hard to envision how a two-metre path can accommodate both bicycles and pedestrians. Most klong-paths I've walked on don't have railings so falling in as people pass in opposite directions is a distinct possibility.

I live alongside this canal and was originally delighted when they started to widen the footpath, I'd imagined a pleasant walkway, with maybe some refreshment stops, where I could have a stroll whilst avoiding the dangers of motorcyles on pavements and crossing the roads.

However this footpath has turned into a racetrack for youngsters on their motorcycles, some of the local residents have resorted to installing speed bumps in an attempt to slow these boy racers down.

I gotta agree with you

I live along the canal as it runs parallel to Ramkamhaeng and seems we have to give way to mopeds all the time

Guess canal paths are the same as sidewalks in Thailand, they are just fast lanes for mopeds

Oooooh, don't fall in! Klongside paths are wonderful if measures are taken to keep motorcycles off. Hard to envision how a two-metre path can accommodate both bicycles and pedestrians. Most klong-paths I've walked on don't have railings so falling in as people pass in opposite directions is a distinct possibility.

"...so falling in as people pass in opposite directions is a distinct possibility."

So is a visit to the hospital and related sickness if not death.