Blow off by supposed friend.

Problems only exist if you allow them to.

Seems to me, that you are both at fault, as you both allowed this to escalate and happen. Either one of you could have chosen to diffuse it at any time, but neither did.

That leads me to believe it wasn't just this issue but this issue was the "straw that broke the camels back".

By coming here to an internet forum for what appears to be to gain some kind of support for your actions, demonstrates the doubt or perhaps regret, in your own action.

You (or he) could have at any point simply agreed to disagree and moved on to something else.

Example: "well that's what I believe to be true and clearly you don't so lets agree to disagree on that one, what you doing later ?" subject changed, situation diffused.

instead it escalated into the result you encountered.

Often it pays not to look at what happened, but "why" it happened.

(All in my humble opinion of course)

Just1Voice, you asked in the OP if anyone had any suggestions. The below are a couple of outtakes from the OP, certainly not meant to be taken out of context:

"I even sent him a web link of Bank Holidays closures..........."

".....called me a pompous ass, and went off line".

"I sent him an email saying I didn’t really understand his anger towards me....."

"....where I contacted a mutual friend on FaceBook and explained what happened..."

Given the above, my advice would be to actually talk to him, if not in person then by phone.

Don't be another one that allows social media to rule your life, possibly misinterpreting the BS it normally generates. Go low-tech, go round and see the guy.............wink.png

Just1Voice, you asked in the OP if anyone had any suggestions. The below are a couple of outtakes from the OP, certainly not meant to be taken out of context:

"I even sent him a web link of Bank Holidays closures..........."

".....called me a pompous ass, and went off line".

"I sent him an email saying I didnt really understand his anger towards me....."

"....where I contacted a mutual friend on FaceBook and explained what happened..."

Given the above, my advice would be to actually talk to him, if not in person then by phone.

Don't be another one that allows social media to rule your life, possibly misinterpreting the BS it normally generates. Go low-tech, go round and see the guy.............wink.png

It's not necessary. Fair weather friends and all that.

People can be touchy. I was at a public speaking forum last night and when one of the speakers was slightly criticized, some of the foreign men actually growled. I've attended a lot of events connected with public speaking but have never before seen that happen. I wonder if it has something to do with living in Thailand. Perhaps the Jai Yen philosophy causes an absence of any opposition and people get used to it. I have a temper too and fire off sometimes when I'm very frustrated but the resistance to even mild criticism was surprising to me.

because he refused to accept that he was wrong about something trivial.

If it was so trivial why are you turning it into a major event.

The farang obsession about being right is simply a version of the farang obsession over perceived loss of face.

Now, I might expect this from a Thai,

Being right about everything is a far bigger issue with farang than Thais. Thais usually let trivial things go or ignore them. As multiple threads on Thai Visa demonstrate, farang have to nitpick over every little thing, take offence at every little event and feel the need to put down all Thais if he, the farang, doesn't get his way or misunderstands things in simple one-on-one encounters.

Maybe your former friend is tired of you beating trivial things to death to prove yourself right.

And why would anyone feel compelled to rush to a public forum to discuss a personal issue, aside from the rather lame hope of getting approval for his actions from anonymous strangers. Sad really.

Archived