Questioned by Immigration at the Airport on a 30 day entry

There was some rule that you could have no more than 3 Visa Exempt entries in any 6 month period - I'm not sure if this is remains so...

Now that you are 50 years old you should be able to get a Retirement Visa (keeping THB 800,000 in your Thai bank account).

I suspect that sometimes the Imm officer gets a little bored and starts to question a random visitor occasionally.

• Like 1

Nothing really new here. In case of frequent travel to Thailand on visa exempt entries within 6 months time you are automatically flagged for questioning and you are not the first person being told to next time enter on a toruist visa or non-immigrant visa.

Might indeed be better to get a tourist visa for your next trip.

I'm not sure of the current rules either, OP. But spending nineteen weeks out of the last twenty-six on thirty-day visa exempt stamps and extensions isn't the way to go long term for a short term visa.

I can actually appreciate what the officer is saying, and that a Non O-A is going to cause you less problems in the future.

Good luck.

As said nothing new

Someone spending more than 18 weeks in Thailand in 6 months using visa exempt entries perhaps should be surprised at being asked what they are doing !

A visa would solve the problem !

It almost feels like they are informally doing the the 90 days stay out of 180 without a visa like they did the last time the military was in power in 2006.

I had not heard that you were only allowed 3 entries on 30 day stamps within a 6 moth period. That would be good to know if it were true Richard. They weren't bored at the time. The queue was stacked.

Mario, they didn't tell me I had to have a visa the next time I came. They suggested that that it would be better for me and told me it would be more convenient for me. Certainly no stamp to that effect was put in my passport. I do wonder if that suggestion was more a requirement than they said it was.

The thirty-day visa exempt was never designed for long term stays. An extension was, let's say, for emergencies and not to allow travellers to circumvent the visa requirements. That Immigration has been lax in the past doesn't mean they can't reassert the rules now.

You're fortunate that you are now fifty-years old and can afford to play by the book. Why invite more hassle?

• Like 1

As others have said, they have never wanted people to visit 3-4 times a year on visa exempt stamps. If you are going to be more than a month, then just get a tourist visa at a consulate before coming. It really isn't a big deal.

They were pretty clear, you don't need one but if you have one, they will stamp you and let you pass without notice. Multiple visa exempt stamps with multiple extensions flag you as someone who is not a tourist. If you are spending more than a month every 6 months in country, just get a proper visa.

There isn't really anything new in this.

It almost feels like they are informally doing the the 90 days stay out of 180 without a visa like they did the last time the military was in power in 2006.

I had not heard that you were only allowed 3 entries on 30 day stamps within a 6 moth period. That would be good to know if it were true Richard. They weren't bored at the time. The queue was stacked.

Mario, they didn't tell me I had to have a visa the next time I came. They suggested that that it would be better for me and told me it would be more convenient for me. Certainly no stamp to that effect was put in my passport. I do wonder if that suggestion was more a requirement than they said it was.

I suspect it was more a strong advise, there is no such requirement. But they already checked if you had a ticket out and can also ask to see if you have the required sum of cash with you.

They said they didn't think you were working illegally in Thailand and that should be their main concern. But you never know, better safe than sorry. Especially when you think you will extend your stay get a tourist visa. Cheaper than an extension anyway.

• Like 1

I am aware of the cash requirement as well. I normally have it since this latest change in policy was enacted (since they hadn't checked me for the cash the last 3 times, I didn't have it this time) I am glad I made sure to have my onward ticket.

I thought that with the change in rules, using the 30 day extension was not a problem. Chaeng Wattana was giving them out like hotcakes the last two times I was there. It would be nice if these two important immigrations were sending out a consistent message on this issue (they don't appear to be). I will be more wary about using them in the future.

Thanks for your input Mario :)

Unfortunately the written rules & the implementation of then by immigration are not matched, if want go down this root they ideally want change rules & clearly state a maximum amount of exempt entries in 12months but that too simple :-/

i had same experience at swampy with TR visa, European friend from Taiwan had same as you with exempt entries at swampy.

Worth picking up a TR visa for next visit or at least keep an eye on the status on entry hassle & plan accordingly.

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unfortunately the written rules & the implementation of then by immigration are not matched, if want go down this root they ideally want change rules & clearly state a maximum amount of exempt entries in 12months but that too simple :-/

i had same experience at swampy with TR visa, European friend from Taiwan had same as you with exempt entries at swampy.

Worth picking up a TR visa for next visit or at least keep an eye on the status on entry hassle & plan accordingly.

The "rules" are clear and simple !!

Want to enter Thailand "visa exempt"?

Best have on an onward an onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days and be able to produce a minimum 10,000 Bht cash .

Easy ?

NZ won't be surprised, but I got held up coming back into the country Tuesday night from a visa run to Macau (no exit ticket, no 10,000 baht on me). Looks like they are cracking down. I was never aware that the extension was for emergencies, btw. I always thought they were there to keep people spending more money here if they wanted. Good to know. :)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

NZ won't be surprised, but I got held up coming back into the country Tuesday night from a visa run to Macau (no exit ticket, no 10,000 baht on me). Looks like they are cracking down. I was never aware that the extension was for emergencies, btw. I always thought they were there to keep people spending more money here if they wanted. Good to know. smile.png

Visa exempt entries are a perfectly legitimate means of entering the country.

My son and his wife visit me twice a year and always use "visa exempt " entries, However they never stay longer than two weeks, are genuine tourists, have return tickets and can show cash if asked.

I wonder why they are never "hassled" or "questioned "

The "rules" are clear and simple !!

Want to enter Thailand "visa exempt"?

Best have on an onward an onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days and be able to produce a minimum 10,000 Bht cash .

Easy ?

The rules are clear & simple YES

BUT immigration are doing there own thing at moment & that causing some hassle to people who using them with just reason & financials .

BUT immigration are doing there own thing at moment & that causing some hassle to people who using them with just reason & financials .

Forget about having had easy passage for the last X years and look at the immigration rules logically, for once.

Try these shortcuts at the border in UK and you'll find yourself refused entry.

Thai immigration are amazingly tolerant, just don't take the pee and you'll be fine.

Thirty-day visa exempt for short stay and tourist visa/Non-O for longer term. What's hard to understand?

Forget about having had easy passage for the last X years and look at the immigration rules logically, for once.

Try these shortcuts at the border in UK and you'll find yourself refused entry.

Thai immigration are amazingly tolerant, just don't take the pee and you'll be fine.

Thirty-day visa exempt for short stay and tourist visa/Non-O for longer term. What's hard to understand?

What is hard to understand is why an honest guy visiting Thailand 5 to 6 times a year on exempts gets pulled aside & hassled on grounds of poissible work or business activity while the scourge of illegal workers pop through the cambo boarders in minivans daily without any hassle.

No shortcuts had been taken, onward tickets & hotels all booked, funds in cash & suitable atm cards for further funds available.

Problem is immigration at certain airports are following pollicy that differs from written exempt visa policy.

Personally I find a UK border far more friendly basically because they follow the immigration policy rather than make it up as they go along ;-)

I'm not referring to the OP, I referring to my post & own experiences of immigration not following written policy .

Okay, please provide a link to the written policy [in English] and provide an exact breakdown of what you can expect to achieve with a thirty-day visa exempt.

I'm not referring to the OP, I referring to my post & own experiences of immigration not following written policy .

Okay, please provide a link to the written policy [in English] and provide an exact breakdown of what you can expect to achieve with a thirty-day visa exempt.

guidelines for exempt entry (Bilateral Agreement) can be found on embassies & consulates websites, immigration policy on exempts can be found direct via immigration website or links from tv as been covered enough, purpose of use is for tourism/leisure .

guidelines for exempt entry (Bilateral Agreement) can be found on embassies & consulates websites, immigration policy on exempts can be found direct via immigration website or links from tv as been covered enough, purpose of use is for tourism/leisure .

Will you be obtaining copies of these "guidelines" and be using them to explain to Immigration Officers how "wrong" they are in daring to challenge your chosen means of attempting to enter Thailand ?

Edited by nzexpat

Exactly! Tourism and leisure.

Taxi for BuckBee.

• Like 1

Will you be obtaining copies of these "guidelines" and be using them to explain to Immigration Officers how "wrong" they are in daring to challenge your chosen means of attempting to enter Thailand ?

I expect them to honour the Bilateral Agreement when there are no obvious abuse & not give false statements that next time you must use a touist or you will be refused entry .