Patong Immigration, Big Problem today (Fri 8 May)

Patong2

Went down about 10.30am, wasn't allowed inside the door, and met by Lady volunteer who would only say

"Big Problem here! Go to Phuket Town"

I asked should I come back Monday or Tuesday but got the same "Big Problem here! Go to Phuket Town"

Anyone know what is going on or if it was OK this afternoon?

Arrests ? staff or aliens? who knows?

I only need to extend tourist Visa so no big deal and no great rush.

No information is worse than mis-information.

Exactly

So I am still unsure whether on Monday to try Patong in the hope of the "big problem fixed" or Phuket with its usual waits

this Lady volunteer with short hair is very unfriendly every time. She is for sure on the wrong place in the patong immigration.

we can only hope she will leave soon.

Don't know if she is "unfriendly", but yes, she seems to get exasperated over having to give out the same information over and over, which (agreed), puts her in the wrong place

this Lady volunteer with short hair is very unfriendly every time. She is for sure on the wrong place in the patong immigration.

we can only hope she will leave soon.

I don't know who this lady is but she is not a Immigration Volunteer as they don't work in Patong.

I suspect that she works for the TPV which office is behind the immigration office.

She is already boosted out of the immigration office a few times by the Colonel but always returns to pretend to be a hot shot and gives out wrong information.

I think that the Immigration officers in Patong like to have a volunteer working for them.

If you have a issue with her please try to make a picture from her so we can see if she works for the TPV.

I went inside the office maybe 5-10 minutes before the lunch time break on 12 pm because I just need information about form of Notification for address. the lady asked me in very arrogant manner what I want and the office is closed already and I should come at 1 pm. at the same moment the thai officer asked me about my concern. after I told him my request he explained me that is form is only obtainable in phuket town immigration. he was very helpful and it was hassle free. when I left the office the lady looked stupid and angry because the officer ignored her conceited bumptiousness.

maybe she works for the TPV. thanks to the thai officer.

Must have just got there before you uli65

I'm the original poster and purely on the off chance I went back to Patong just to see if things had changed and had planned to go to Phuket Immigration tomorrow morning.

Got there,about 11.30, politely sent to photocopy passports and returned, processed and paid our fee and we were out of there in 10 minutes.

The short haired volunteer lady was there but talking in the rear to one of the officers.

There was no problem except her it appears.

She cause quite a bit of replanning and inconvenience to my wife and I. Can't imagine what she gained out of it.

Still all is good and we can continue with our original plans.

Must have just got there before you uli65

I'm the original poster and purely on the off chance I went back to Patong just to see if things had changed and had planned to go to Phuket Immigration tomorrow morning.

Got there,about 11.30, politely sent to photocopy passports and returned, processed and paid our fee and we were out of there in 10 minutes.

The short haired volunteer lady was there but talking in the rear to one of the officers.

There was no problem except her it appears.

She cause quite a bit of replanning and inconvenience to my wife and I. Can't imagine what she gained out of it.

Still all is good and we can continue with our original plans.

I'm still curious who this mystery (volunteer) woman is as the immigration volunteers don't work in Patong. (only in Phuket town)

It's the same one that worked at Phuket Town. Short hair, dark skin, appears of African descent. The last time I was there (Patong) she decided everyone regardless for reason of visit needed a copy of their passport, including 90 report with barcode. That jammed things up a bit.

I went there for a Certificate of Residence in Jan. This same women physically jumped in front of me, blocking me, trying to tell me it was impossible. I went around her and got my Cert of Residence in about 5 min from the friendly Thai officer in the back.

I was there again in March for a 90 day report and she wasn't there(thankfully). Couldn't help but notice things were going very smooth with the Thai officers handling everything.

It's the same one that worked at Phuket Town. Short hair, dark skin, appears of African descent. The last time I was there (Patong) she decided everyone regardless for reason of visit needed a copy of their passport, including 90 report with barcode. That jammed things up a bit.

Do you mean the big black american lady ? She talks with a real american accent.

There is another "big" dark skinned lady working as volunteer in the Phuket Town Immigration office, with american accent. But this lady is helpful and friendly and tries to cheer people up. It's not the same one as pictured in the link from Lashay. Haven not seen the latter ever in Phuket Town. The Phuket Town folks are a real gem, never encountered any bad attitudes there (in contrast to the thai officers there, those are a very mixed bunch).

If it's same one as last month, then yes is TPV , http://www.phuketgazette.net/opinion/Taking-Phuket-tourists-safety-heart/35951#ad-image-0

Think they pulled her out of Bangla (not seen her there for a good while) and put her in the immigration office

For your information, She does NOT work for the Immigration Volunteers and does not know the immigration rules.

She is asked by the officers to help them out and basically just to look important.

Don't trust the information she provide.

There is another "big" dark skinned lady working as volunteer in the Phuket Town Immigration office, with american accent. But this lady is helpful and friendly and tries to cheer people up. It's not the same one as pictured in the link from Lashay. Haven not seen the latter ever in Phuket Town. The Phuket Town folks are a real gem, never encountered any bad attitudes there (in contrast to the thai officers there, those are a very mixed bunch).

Correct! Her name is Roz, very nice lady at Phuket Town Immigration.

Don't be too hard on the lady in Patong. I'm sure she is just doing what she is told to do. She turned me and a friend away last month and said to go to town, saying the person that did what I needed (TM 30 & Proof of Address) was not there. But the place was quite busy with at least 15 people wanting to get in the door. We just returned to Patong the next day. She greeted to assist us and and went inside to see if the officers could help us, came back out and told us to come in.

She (lady in Patong) is probably part of the reason why so many were waiting.

Last time i was there, she checked my paperwork, told me needed extra copy of document X, went and got, then she checked again, now needed extra photo, went and got, then she checked again, now needed extra copy of another document. Saw a few others getting the run around by her as well.

New officers inside are quite fast and efficient (less then 5 mins to get everything done after got though her) , she slows the whole thing down by being very disorganized and giving out information piecemeal

Quite an amusing thread, about this lady. I don't have to go to that office, but if I would have to, I would almost feel disappointed not to be hassled by her, you're fully prepared for it mentally, and if it doesn't happen, it's all for nothing.

Would "excusez moi, no English speak" be the easiest way to disable her?

Maybe she doesn't want to be an immigration volunteer and she is trying to be relieved of that position. She is a Tourist Police Volunteer after all. She just might want her old duties back.

Went to Patong immigration yesterday for 30 day extension on my tourist visa,

was in and out in a flash even after being told by the Volunteer lady that I could not get an extension,

because I still had 30 days left on my visa,,I politely told here I can get extension anytime I do it all the time,

The thai immigration officer looked at me and her and then overruled her, told her yes I can get extension anytime,

that was it done deal.

I'm sure the Patong immigration office would run just fine without her assistance.

Correct! Her name is Roz, very nice lady at Phuket Town Immigration.

Don't be too hard on the lady in Patong. I'm sure she is just doing what she is told to do. She turned me and a friend away last month and said to go to town, saying the person that did what I needed (TM 30 & Proof of Address) was not there. But the place was quite busy with at least 15 people wanting to get in the door. We just returned to Patong the next day. She greeted to assist us and and went inside to see if the officers could help us, came back out and told us to come in.

Yes, thanks for clarifying for everyone, Roz is awesome and very helpful, I think ex-U.S. Navy. The lady in Patong immigration smaller with bleached hair (last time I saw her anyway). Agreed also, don't be too hard on the Patong lady, she deals with a lot of dummies, one guy she told to go get copies, he disappeared,came back with no copies she had to direct again..... multiple geniuses abound..........

Yes, thanks for clarifying for everyone, Roz is awesome and very helpful, I think ex-U.S. Navy. The lady in Patong immigration smaller with bleached hair (last time I saw her anyway). Agreed also, don't be too hard on the Patong lady, she deals with a lot of dummies, one guy she told to go get copies, he disappeared,came back with no copies she had to direct again..... multiple geniuses abound..........

I understand that people don't want to be to harsh on her and i do agree with that but i can understand that people are getting frustrated when she gives out wrong information as mentioned by several posters.

And yes the immigration lady in Phuket town is great.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quite an amusing thread, about this lady. I don't have to go to that office, but if I would have to, I would almost feel disappointed not to be hassled by her, you're fully prepared for it mentally, and if it doesn't happen, it's all for nothing.

LoL!

My first run in with her was last year, and just had my second today! I refer to her as the sassy black lady. Totally gave me mis-information and said that I couldnt extend my latest Non-O based on marriage stamp for 60 days and they could do it for 30 days maybe. She kept mentioning something about changing tourist to marriage visa and I never even mentioned anything about being a tourist. The english guy next to her said I can only do an extension for 7 days and would keep my passport to switch visas?!? I forgot my landlords rental contract for the updating address part, but the aussie guy said 60 days ok and the thai lady who found that I was missing my rental contract said I have to do extension in 2 parts... first 30 days for 1900thb and then after 30 days I can do 60 for another 1900thb...

I just updated my address and went upstairs and even the information guy only told me 30 days was possible. I just did it anyway and when the Thai officer had me at his desk I asked how many days this extension was good for and he said 60day... what a nightmare these "helpers" are.

LoL!

My first run in with her was last year, and just had my second today! I refer to her as the sassy black lady. Totally gave me mis-information and said that I couldnt extend my latest Non-O based on marriage stamp for 60 days and they could do it for 30 days maybe. She kept mentioning something about changing tourist to marriage visa and I never even mentioned anything about being a tourist. The english guy next to her said I can only do an extension for 7 days and would keep my passport to switch visas?!? I forgot my landlords rental contract for the updating address part, but the aussie guy said 60 days ok and the thai lady who found that I was missing my rental contract said I have to do extension in 2 parts... first 30 days for 1900thb and then after 30 days I can do 60 for another 1900thb...

I just updated my address and went upstairs and even the information guy only told me 30 days was possible. I just did it anyway and when the Thai officer had me at his desk I asked how many days this extension was good for and he said 60day... what a nightmare these "helpers" are.

Sounds like Phuket Town imigration office Not Patong...

Not same helper lady as in Patong...

I have found the farang helpers in Phuket town office most helpful just lucky i guess.

I'm still curious who this mystery (volunteer) woman is as the immigration volunteers don't work in Patong. (only in Phuket town)

As the Phuket Gazette link shows, she is a TPV (I have known her more the 9 years that she has worked off and on for the Thai Tourist Police foreign volunteers).

I'm based (as a TPV) in the airport region for many years, so I have not recently witnessed her 'manner' in dealing with members of the public. So I'm not in a position to defend or condemn her.

However, it seems that more than one poster is not happy with some aspects of how she communicates with the public. Maybe she is not aware that her manner is perhaps too abrupt.

I will have a quiet word with my Thai boss about this and see if the matter can be amicably resolved.

Archived