Pension/Income Letter for Thai Immigration.

Two questions.

1. Must the letter be dated within a certain timeframe to be accepted by Immigration. 3 months, 6 months?

2. What method do Immigration use in converting your currency to baht to make the calculation that you meet the requirement.

Thanks nzexpat.

The question was on behalf of a friend who has a Thai wife of 6 years, who I've finally convinced to apply for an extension based on marriage. He's lived the last 6 years getting Multi entry Non Imm O's from Lao.

Another friend has used the same Embassy Income letter for the last 4 years to get his marriage extensions at Immigration, but they have been married for almost 50 years and lived in Thailand for the last 26 years, so he is well known to Immigration.

With Immigration now applying the rules more stringently, I think he'll have to get an updated letter this year. smile.png

Thanks nzexpat.

The question was on behalf of a friend who has a Thai wife of 6 years, who I've finally convinced to apply for an extension based on marriage. He's lived the last 6 years getting Multi entry Non Imm O's from Lao.

Another friend has used the same Embassy Income letter for the last 4 years to get his marriage extensions at Immigration, but they have been married for almost 50 years and lived in Thailand for the last 26 years, so he is well known to Immigration.

With Immigration now applying the rules more stringently, I think he'll have to get an updated letter this year. smile.png

With regard to your friend that has been using the same income letter for 4 years: seems to be working for him, don't need to fix what isn't broken. smile.png

He seems to have a good relationship with the immigration officers at his office. I would try using the same income letter again next year, but I would go 30 days before the end of my permission to stay. If it's accepted, then great. If they ask for an updated embassy income letter, then I would go get one, and have almost 30 days to complete that process and re-apply for the extension. Embassy letters are expensive and possibly inconvenient to get. It seems the immigration officers dealing with your friend have decided to treat him favorably. I don't see the reason to rock the boat.

(In defense of the immigration officers, if your friend's income is derived from pensions then they are justified in accepting the out-of-date income letter because once started pensions seldom go down (isn't that true?) and the only thing that would affect his income in that case is the exchange rate.)

• Like 1

Much easier to get that extension as a retired person than as a married supporting Thai wife.

Much!

You need a lot more money or a higher income as retired......and that will make it more difficult for many people.

It's a trade-off between money and effort. Retirement extension is B800000; marriage extension is B400,000. Once the money is in the bank for a retirement extension, the documentation required is fairly minimal (letter and balance statement from bank, costing around B200 for both). The documentation requirements for the marriage visa are more extensive (marriage certificate, wife's documentation, pictures of the two of you, possible home visit from immigration, etc.). Also, and this would be a sufficient reason for me, the retirement extension can be obtained in one visit to the immigration office. It takes two visits (1 month apart) to obtain an extension of stay for marriage.

Much easier to get that extension as a retired person than as a married supporting Thai wife.

Much!

I agree it's easier, but the basic UK state pension doesn't even amount to the financial requirements needed for a marriage extension without additional payments or a private/company pension on top. Not everyone wants to keep their funds in a Thai bank as well.

It's an individuals choice how they manage their funds.

Personally, I'm on a retirement extension with the 800,000k in a Fixed Savings account, but then, that's my choice.

Thanks nzexpat.

With regard to your friend that has been using the same income letter for 4 years: seems to be working for him, don't need to fix what isn't broken. smile.png

He seems to have a good relationship with the immigration officers at his office. I would try using the same income letter again next year, but I would go 30 days before the end of my permission to stay. If it's accepted, then great. If they ask for an updated embassy income letter, then I would go get one, and have almost 30 days to complete that process and re-apply for the extension. Embassy letters are expensive and possibly inconvenient to get. It seems the immigration officers dealing with your friend have decided to treat him favorably. I don't see the reason to rock the boat.

(In defense of the immigration officers, if your friend's income is derived from pensions then they are justified in accepting the out-of-date income letter because once started pensions seldom go down (isn't that true?) and the only thing that would affect his income in that case is the exchange rate.)

By his own admission, he needs to get a new letter.

After 4 years of being folded, crumpled, stained and stuffed in a drawer it's looking the worse for wear now.

I doubt Immigration would accept it this year and so does he. biggrin.png

In the past favouritism may have been extended to certain expats because of longstanding relationships with the same Immigration officers, but I think those days are coming to an end, as Immigration has to be more accountable for it's actions these days.

• Like 1

Thanks nzexpat.

By his own admission, he needs to get a new letter.

After 4 years of being folded, crumpled, stained and stuffed in a drawer it's looking the worse for wear now.

I doubt Immigration would accept it this year and so does he. biggrin.png

In the past favouritism may have been extended to certain expats because of longstanding relationships with the same Immigration officers, but I think those days are coming to an end, as Immigration has to be more accountable for it's actions these days.

A new income letter is not much of a chore.

I just got mine this week, for the umteenth time.

As an American, I just make an appointment with ACS ( American Citizens Services ) at the US embassy in Bangkok.

Fill out a very simple form

Take the form to the appointment and pay $50 usd, or 1600 baht.

Wait 5-10 min for the document to be notarized and you are done.

The whole process takes less time than the drive from the hotel to the embassy!

Much!

You need a lot more money or a higher income as retired......and that will make it more difficult for many people.

It's a trade-off between money and effort. Retirement extension is B800000; marriage extension is B400,000. Once the money is in the bank for a retirement extension, the documentation required is fairly minimal (letter and balance statement from bank, costing around B200 for both). The documentation requirements for the marriage visa are more extensive (marriage certificate, wife's documentation, pictures of the two of you, possible home visit from immigration, etc.). Also, and this would be a sufficient reason for me, the retirement extension can be obtained in one visit to the immigration office. It takes two visits (1 month apart) to obtain an extension of stay for marriage.

It's only a trade-off for the people that are older than 50 and have enough money to choose...

But it's less work to get the retirement if you have money..

Edited by larsjohnsson

Thanks nzexpat.

I cannot see how he could of used the same income letter for 4 years. Normally immigration wants the original and then keep it.

I just got my 8th income affidavit in a row because they keep the original every year.

Thanks nzexpat.

I cannot see how he could of used the same income letter for 4 years. Normally immigration wants the original and then keep it.

I just got my 8th income affidavit in a row because they keep the original every year.

It only came to light when I was at his home to help him move a water tank. Over a cup of tea he asked me if I thought he should get a new letter from the Embassy for Immigration as it was a little the worse for wear. The letter was original, dated 2010.

He used to privately teach English to a Colonel at Bangkok Immigration, so has connections high up.

Sometimes it's a case of who you know, not what you know.