Retirement visa

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As said there is no "retirement visa" .

A long stay O/A visa is available but many find obtaining it is an expensive and bureaucratic process.

You may , if in receipt of the State OAP be eligible for a 12 month multi -entry "O" visa .

A single entry "O" visa can easily be used to obtain an "extension of stay " based on retirement providing financial requirement can be met.

So why does my visa state "RETIREMENT"?

The term is simply more acceptable than picking a letter to identify a meaning.

Their is simply no need for your first comment, it doesn't help.

You do NOT have a "VISA" which states "RETIREMENT".

However , if you have something unique please scan and post a picture of this very special "Retirement Visa" !

• Like 1

I intend to apply in the uk.

I need to apply for a crimminal record check certificate to present to the embassy.

I believe that if you apply for an extension of stay because of retirement while in Thailand you do not need a police background check or a medical certificate. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Just trying to be helpful 'cos I will be going that route November this year. And for the "non O imm" a background check is not requestd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A long stay O/A visa is available but many find obtaining it is an expensive and bureaucratic process.

You may , if in receipt of the State OAP be eligible for a 12 month multi -entry "O" visa .

A single entry "O" visa can easily be used to obtain an "extension of stay " based on retirement providing financial requirement can be met.

However , if you have something unique please scan and post a picture of this very special "Retirement Visa" !

Just a genuine question here.

I do understand how annoying it is that people, quite often people who have done many consecutive retirement extensions, seem to be totally unaware that they do not have a visa, and are not 'extending a visa', and so on, merely asking for the permission to stay conferred on them by their last use of their long-expired visa to be extended for a year, and this is the only thing that is ever stamped "retirement" in a passport.

I'm not quite sure why you are so opposed to people who have the "O-A" long stay visa calling this visa a 'retirement visa' though.

As it is a visa that is only given to people over 50, with demonstrable means of support, and who do not want to work, and are not allowed to work under the terms of the visa, it does seem that "retirement visa" is a useful and pretty accurate shorthand for this type.

Is your objection that you want everyone to call it an " O-A long stay" because that's what the official name is, and because the stamp does not have the actual word "retirement" on it?

I personally think if the term "retirement visa" was used to refer to this visa type (and this visa type alone), it would clarify matters a little.

• Like 1

Just a genuine question here.

I do understand how annoying it is that people, quite often people who have done many consecutive retirement extensions, seem to be totally unaware that they do not have a visa, and are not 'extending a visa', and so on, merely asking for the permission to stay conferred on them by their last use of their long-expired visa to be extended for a year, and this is the only thing that is ever stamped "retirement" in a passport.

I'm not quite sure why you are so opposed to people who have the "O-A" long stay visa calling this visa a 'retirement visa' though.

As it is a visa that is only given to people over 50, with demonstrable means of support, and who do not want to work, and are not allowed to work under the terms of the visa, it does seem that "retirement visa" is a useful and pretty accurate shorthand for this type.

Is your objection that you want everyone to call it an " O-A long stay" because that's what the official name is, and because the stamp does not have the actual word "retirement" on it?

I personally think if the term "retirement visa" was used to refer to this visa type (and this visa type alone), it would clarify matters a little.

I simply argue for accurate terminology to be used as it avoids confusion and misunderstanding .

If , using your example of an O/A visa, someone can show me such a "visa" , in a passport, which includes the words "Retirement" or "Retirement Visa" then I will happily use one of those terms to describe the "Long Stay" O/A visa ..

OK, as I suggested you object to calling it a retirement visa because the words "retirement visa" are not stamped on it, and because the official term is "OA Long Stay" visa .

Fair enough.

I don't really share your objections, but I understand them now.

If the consulate staff call it that, who are you to argue.

When I used to book an appointment, they would always ask if I required a retirement visa or a marriage visa.

• Like 1

1.Where were you intending to apply for this "retirement" visa

2. Why would you believe some old misdemeanor charge would now have negative consequences ?

ehhhh..... did it involve a school ground and little boys ?