Need Tourist Visa before Marriage Visa?

Hi All,

Just went to inmigration yesterday, to Cheang Wattana office, to ask how to change from my actual Business Visa to a Visa O (Marriage Visa) of one year,

and the official told me I have first to go out of Thailand and go back to her with a Tourist Visa.

She also checked all my other documents with my wife, and told us all where correct (bank statements with 400K, pictures, marriage certificate...)

Just asked me to cancel my actual Visa/Work permit, and go back with a Tourist Visa, at leat 15 days before that tourist visa expire, and after that

I would have my Visa O/Marriage Visa of 1 year in less than 2 weeks.

My question is...

Does it make sense to request for a Tourist Visa in order to get later a Visa O?

Thank you all for your help !!

Edited by Lidra

The advice you received was "correct" and probably tailored to whatever questions / requests were put to the Immigration Officer .

A single entry NON "O" Visa should be easy to obtain with the correct supporting documentation.

My question is...

Does it make sense to request for a Tourist Visa in order to get later a Visa O?

Not to me, it doesn't. I would have thought you would want to obtain a Non-O visa outside the country and then after you re-enter Thailand to apply for an extension of stay for marriage during the last 30 days of your 90 day permission to stay.

My understanding is that a Tourist Visa would need to be converted into a Non-O in order to get an extension of stay for the purpose of marriage. Therefore, that seems to be less than optimal to me. Why not get the Non-O directly instead?

The immigration officer seems to be suggesting you go through a two-stage process (obtain Tourist Visa, convert into Non-O) rather than a one-stage process (obtain the Non-O directly). The conversion would have to be done in Bangkok, which wouldn't seem to be a problem for you as you're in Bangkok, right? But why go through a conversion when you can obtain the Non-O directly?

Either you are being given bad advice by immigration or there's something wrong with my understanding of the process.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My question is...

Not to me, it doesn't. I would have thought you would want to obtain a Non-O visa outside the country and then after you re-enter Thailand to apply for an extension of stay for marriage during the last 30 days of your 90 day permission to stay.

My understanding is that a Tourist Visa would need to be converted into a Non-O in order to get an extension of stay for the purpose of marriage. Therefore, that seems to be less than optimal to me. Why not get the Non-O directly instead?

The immigration officer seems to be suggesting you go through a two-stage process (obtain Tourist Visa, convert into Non-O) rather than a one-stage process (obtain the Non-O directly). The conversion would have to be done in Bangkok, which wouldn't seem to be a problem for you as you're in Bangkok, right? But why go through a conversion when you can obtain the Non-O directly?

Either you are being given bad advice by immigration or there's something wrong with my understanding of the process.

OR

1. The advise given was "misunderstood"

2. The advice given related to an insistence on wanting to "convert" to an "O" visa

Or ....................................... ????

One should take great care in interpreting some of these tales as only one side of the whole story is ever told.

Edited by nzexpat

Yes, I'm so confused now... I was hopping they could change my visa from Non-B (Business) to Visa O (The popular Marriage Visa) in Bangkok,

but if is it not enough with have to go out of the country, the official also asked me to request a Tourist Visa instead of Visa O.

Of course all of the conversation was in Thai Language between my wife and the Official, so I guess they can understand each other

correctly in their language, and what I comment is what my wife told me.

The official told they would change my Tourist Visa into the one year marriage visa there in Bangkok.
And she was very serious all the time, giving short answers, with the kind of face that make me think she don't like her job, and in less

than 10 minutes she has finish with my case.

Edited by Lidra

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My question is...

I guess will have to go call, and go back to contrast that information, because for me is the first new I have of something like this.

Indeed a friend of mine 6 months ago, have a Tourist Visa and all the requirements to qualify for Marriage Visa and was asked to go out but to get a Visa O, and after

two months, they stamped his passport with one year more of stay, that was I was expecting for me in the worst scenario.

First, how about you understand, the difference between visas, and extensions of permission to stay. They are not the same.

Are you currently here on a "B" Visa, then was given a "Extension of Permission to Stay" based on your employment?

Are you going to continue working? Why would you cancel the work permit?

If on a current, extension of permission of stay, can they not simply change the reason, from employment to marriage?

As per above, if they insist they can't issue the extension based on marriage because of they "B" Visa, then it should be simple enough to go to Savanakhet, Laos or some other neighboring Consulate and apply for the "O" Visa, which that entry, can be extended based on marriage.

Edited by beechguy

"The official told they would change my Tourist Visa into the one year marriage visa there in Bangkok."

I very much doubt the "Official" told you anything like that !

There is no one year "marriage visa " and an "extension of stay" based on marriage cannot be obtained directly from a Tourist visa !

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 2

Yes, I'm so confused now... I was hopping they could change my visa from Non-B (Business) to Visa O (The popular Marriage Visa) in Bangkok,

but if is it not enough with have to go out of the country, the official also asked me to request a Tourist Visa instead of Visa O.

Of course all of the conversation was in Thai Language between my wife and the Official, so I guess they can understand each other

The official told they would change my Tourist Visa into the one year marriage visa there in Bangkok.

And she was very serious all the time, giving short answers, with the kind of face that make me think she don't like her job, and in less

looks like you do not understand visa's and extension of stay and there has been a misunderstanding between the officer and your wife

Edited by swampdonkey

As has already been said, the immigration officer gave you the correct information. If you want to get a non-O visa from immigration you must leave Thailand and come back without a visa or with a visa that is not a non-immigrant visa. Immigration will then give you a non-O visa and later a one-year extension of stay.

Had you asked whether immigration can change your current extension of stay for the reason of employment to an extension for the reason of living with your Thai wife, the advice would probably have been different.

Sounds like some translation errors and/or confusion in terms used.

As said above, what you are (apparently) aiming for is an extension stay based on marriage, not a visa. You would be able to do that from a Non-Imm O entry using a non-imm O visa obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand or a conversion to a non-imm O entry done at Immigrations in Bangkok (which would require two visits just for the conversion & two more visits to obtain the extension including the "under consideration" period).

It would be more straight forward to get a non-imm O visa and go from there during the last 30 days of your permission to stay. Possibly you could convert your current permission to stay.

The way you posed the question may have resulted in the answer you received. Probably better to show the officer your current permission/extension and ask him/her how to move on to an extension based on marriage

Edited by Suradit69

As said above, what you are (apparently) aiming for is an extension stay based on marriage, not a visa. You would be able to do that from a Non-Imm O entry using a non-imm O visa obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand or a conversion to a non-imm O entry done at Immigrations in Bangkok (which would require two visits just for the conversion & two more visits to obtain the extension including the "under consideration" period).

It would be more straight forward to get a non-imm O visa and go from there during the last 30 days of your permission to stay. Possibly you could convert your current permission to stay.

The way you posed the question may have resulted in the answer you received. Probably better to show the officer your current permission/extension and ask him/her how to move on to an extension based on marriage

Never thought the way I made the question about the same goal would result in a different way to obtain the same result.... I will keep in mind for the next time.

How old are you? If u can get a retirement visa (age 55 I believe and 800K) then get it and forget the marriage visa.

No... that's not for me, I'm too far from 55,

and I would like to have the chance of work in Thailand, but this time without have my Visa depending of a corporation.

looks like you do not understand visa's and extension of stay and there has been a misunderstanding between the officer and your wife

Well, that's the point of that people working there with those cool uniforms, to help people like us to understand and avoid misunderstandings...
no matter what I could understand or believe was right to do before, they should provide assistance to us in order to get the best solution within the Thai law possibilities.

Will go there again to double check what they told.

She was checking my current passport, current work permit, marriage certificate, bank statement letter, even pick up pictures from my album to present... everything was fine in her opinion, just go back with tourist visa and cancel my actual visa/work permit was request to get the 1 year stay.

"The official told they would change my Tourist Visa into the one year marriage visa there in Bangkok."

I very much doubt the "Official" told you anything like that !

There is no one year "marriage visa " and an "extension of stay" based on marriage cannot be obtained directly from a Tourist visa !

Yes, I know ''marriage visa'' is a way of talk, and I thought same about Tourist Visa,

that's why I post here to know if somebody ever got the same request, or if that is indeed possible for Inmigration at Chaeng Wattana.

First, how about you understand, the difference between visas, and extensions of permission to stay. They are not the same.

Are you currently here on a "B" Visa, then was given a "Extension of Permission to Stay" based on your employment?

Are you going to continue working? Why would you cancel the work permit?

If on a current, extension of permission of stay, can they not simply change the reason, from employment to marriage?

As per above, if they insist they can't issue the extension based on marriage because of they "B" Visa, then it should be simple enough to go to Savanakhet, Laos or some other neighboring Consulate and apply for the "O" Visa, which that entry, can be extended based on marriage.

To your questions:
-Yes, I'm here with a "B" Visa, and my actual extension of permission to stay is based on my employment.
-No, I'm not going to continue working. I'm just tired of work.
-That's is one of the questions I asked my wife to do there, and that's why we go there with or marriage certificate and personal album of pictures. It looks not to be possible in a regular way.
-Yes I thought they would ask me go to get a Visa O, not a Tourist Visa, and that's why I post here, to know if somebody else here got the same request.

As has already been said, the immigration officer gave you the correct information. If you want to get a non-O visa from immigration you must leave Thailand and come back without a visa or with a visa that is not a non-immigrant visa. Immigration will then give you a non-O visa and later a one-year extension of stay.

Had you asked whether immigration can change your current extension of stay for the reason of employment to an extension for the reason of living with your Thai wife, the advice would probably have been different.

I was there, with my wife, marriage certificate, bank statement with 400K, the pictures to prove we had been living together... I think that make quite my goal is to get a permission of stay based on the marriage,

And as longer as I know the work of the officials there is not give just an advice, is to tell us how meet correctly the requirements in order to get the different kind of Visa's and extensions of stay, so I'm just wondering

if that official was having a bad day and was totally wrong when she told us to get a Tourist Visa instead of request for Visa O.

Anyway, I will ask more times in different ways, to check if they keep giving me the same request of get a Tourist Visa, it looks to be the only way to make sure things are right with the people at immigration.

Seems English is not the OPs first Language and he does not speak / understand Thai and relies on "translations" provided by his Thai wife !

A classic soup of " mixed understanding"

If the OP reads this thread again taking the time to ensure understanding he will discover he has been given good answers and solution ! smile.pngsmile.png

Well, believe it or not I'm a native English speaker, and I still don't understand why it would be better (or recommended or preferred) to obtain a Tourist Visa rather than a Non-O visa if the intent of the applicant is to ultimately get an extension of stay for the purpose of marriage.

Surely, getting an extension of stay for the purpose of marriage (a marriage extension) is easier if you have a Non-O visa, rather than if you have a Tourist visa. Or maybe I just completely misunderstand the process of getting a marriage extension. In which, case I would appreciate being set back on a straight and narrow path. smile.png

Isn't it true that a Tourist visa would have to be converted into a Non-O? I understand that immigration in Bangkok is capable of converting a Tourist visa into a Non-O one, but the question is why do that when you can just as easily get the Non-O outside the country. He's going to have to go outside the country to get a visa anyway, why not get the proper one? Why would he be advised to get a Tourist Visa? Honestly, makes no sense to me.

I'm afraid if the OP goes out and gets a Tourist Visa he will be told by immigration that it first needs to be converted to a Non-O. Are my fears baseless? I can hear him being asked why he didn't get a Non-O visa instead. rolleyes.gif

If the OP goes out and gets a Non-O visa will he have difficulty getting a marriage extension with that visa?

He needs a Non Imm O Visa.
It is possible with a Tourist Visa but it means an extra step to convert to a Non Imm O Visa and extra expense.

Easier to do it with the correct Visa in the first place.thumbsup.gif

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

• Like 2

He needs a Non Imm O Visa.

It is possible with a Tourist Visa but it means an extra step to convert to a Non Imm O Visa and extra expense.

Easier to do it with the correct Visa in the first place.thumbsup.gif

Thank You. Some body that knows what it takes.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Going over to a tourist visa is just making it harder.

• Like 1

After find this text at : http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761/25691-Tourist-Visa.html

"Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or at http://www.immigration.go.th ). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.."

Have just ask my wife to ask to that telephone number 0-2141-9889 (dont know how does she makes the question exactly) and she told me the answer was:

- Who can change by filling application MUST have tourist visa which have 15 days at least before sending application
Whose have tourist visa but have days left less than 15 days have to go out of Thailand too
This information match with what the official told us in ChaengWattana, the only trouble...
is that this procedure looks to be totally new info for us here around, because everybody is explaining the process as I also thought should be done before last friday.

Still surprised about that info they keep giving me, will ask again.

After find this text at : http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761/25691-Tourist-Visa.html

"Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or at http://www.immigration.go.th ). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.."

Have just ask my wife to ask to that telephone number 0-2141-9889 (dont know how does she makes the question exactly) and she told me the answer was:

- Who can change by filling application MUST have tourist visa which have 15 days at least before sending application
Whose have tourist visa but have days left less than 15 days have to go out of Thailand too
This information match with what the official told us in ChaengWattana, the only trouble...
is that this procedure looks to be totally new info for us here around, because everybody is explaining the process as I also thought should be done before last friday.

Information on the website's of Thai embassies or consulates is not always completely accurate or up-to-date. You might think that it would be, I did.

Another complication is that Thai embassies and consulates are under the authority of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, whereas the local immigration offices in Thailand are under the Royal Thai Police. So relying on advice given by a Thai embassy/consulate, especially concerning an issue of procedure that will be done at a Thai immigration office is perhaps not the best source of information. You might think that it would be, I did.

That said, I don't disagree with what you have reported. I believe it is possible to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-O at the Bangkok immigration office and then in the last 30 days of that permission to stay one could apply for a marriage extension. In other words, a two step process: conversion of Tourist visa to Non-O, followed by application for marriage extension.

But again, I'm left wondering why it is not to your advantage, preferable even, to obtain a Non-O visa rather than a Tourist Visa, since it is my understanding that you then wouldn't have to deal with the Bangkok office to do a conversion (Tourist to Non-O visa), but could go in the last 30 days of your permission to stay and apply for a marriage extension at your local immigration office (if you don't live in Bangkok).

I understand this isn't your idea, that you're just reporting the advice you've been given by immigration. But it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, ultimately, whether it makes sense to me or not doesn't really matter. The important thing is that you get the marriage extension that you want. You would think that you would be well-served by following the advice from your local immigration office on how to get to your marriage extension. After all, that's the office that you would be dealing with to accomplish this. I don't know what else to say, other than to wish you well and ultimately a successful marriage extension. It's a strange and mysterious world we live in. smile.png Good luck!

I agree with Skatewash, Embassies and Consulates often give out incorrect or mis-leading information, and the paragraph you have quoted above is certainly mis-leading.

I'm totally confused about all this. Why do you need to leave the country? If you already have an "extension of stay" based on a work permit, then when you next go for an extension just apply for an extension based on marriage instead. No need to leave the country or get another visa. I know people who have done that, but not in Bangkok. I suspect that the advice you were given is because your wife may have been asking about a "change of Visa", not a change to an "extension of stay based on marriage".

If that is not acceptable to your local immigration, just make a trip to Vientiane or some other nearby Embassy or Consulate and get a single entry Non Imm O based on marriage. As many have said before, if you get a Tourist Visa you will need to get it changed to a Non Imm O in Bangkok before it can be extended, which is a waste of time and money.

Edited by billrose

Information on the website's of Thai embassies or consulates is not always completely accurate or up-to-date. You might think that it would be, I did.

Another complication is that Thai embassies and consulates are under the authority of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, whereas the local immigration offices in Thailand are under the Royal Thai Police. So relying on advice given by a Thai embassy/consulate, especially concerning an issue of procedure that will be done at a Thai immigration office is perhaps not the best source of information. You might think that it would be, I did.

That said, I don't disagree with what you have reported. I believe it is possible to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-O at the Bangkok immigration office and then in the last 30 days of that permission to stay one could apply for a marriage extension. In other words, a two step process: conversion of Tourist visa to Non-O, followed by application for marriage extension.

But again, I'm left wondering why it is not to your advantage, preferable even, to obtain a Non-O visa rather than a Tourist Visa, since it is my understanding that you then wouldn't have to deal with the Bangkok office to do a conversion (Tourist to Non-O visa), but could go in the last 30 days of your permission to stay and apply for a marriage extension at your local immigration office (if you don't live in Bangkok).

I understand this isn't your idea, that you're just reporting the advice you've been given by immigration. But it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, ultimately, whether it makes sense to me or not doesn't really matter. The important thing is that you get the marriage extension that you want. You would think that you would be well-served by following the advice from your local immigration office on how to get to your marriage extension. After all, that's the office that you would be dealing with to accomplish this. I don't know what else to say, other than to wish you well and ultimately a successful marriage extension. It's a strange and mysterious world we live in. smile.png Good luck!

Thank you !

I agree with Skatewash, Embassies and Consulates often give out incorrect or mis-leading information, and the paragraph you have quoted above is certainly mis-leading.

I'm totally confused about all this. Why do you need to leave the country? If you already have an "extension of stay" based on a work permit, then when you next go for an extension just apply for an extension based on marriage instead. No need to leave the country or get another visa. I know people who have done that, but not in Bangkok. I suspect that the advice you were given is because your wife may have been asking about a "change of Visa", not a change to an "extension of stay based on marriage".

If that is not acceptable to your local immigration, just make a trip to Vientiane or some other nearby Embassy or Consulate and get a single entry Non Imm O based on marriage. As many have said before, if you get a Tourist Visa you will need to get it changed to a Non Imm O in Bangkok before it can be extended, which is a waste of time and money.

Once I leave my actual job, my actual Visa/work permit will be canceled, and my stamp to stay in Thailand will no longer be valid.

I was hoping they could switch to a visa O to get an extension based on marriage without go out of Thailand as I thought was possible.

Will try to make sure my wife next time ask as you suggest about change to extension based on marriage next

time I double check info with inmigration, because last two times, last friday and today, they insist in the Tourist Visa.

Immigration at CW has changed their policy and will not change the reason for an extension from one based upon working to one based upon marriage.

You cannot change non immigrant visa classes either, You can only change from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa entry.