550 Baht for a new card from Kasikorn!

i have 2 accounts with kasikorn. the card for the current account held at bangkok nana branch expired in february and i went to the hua hin branch where i live to replace it

the lady told me the cost for a replacement is 550 baht. i said why is it so expensive, and she said that if i had come in february when it had expired it would not be so expensive, but as i am late, the charge is 550 baht

i questioned the logic of this policy, but she had no answer.

is she trying it on with me? surely i shouldnt have to pay so much to acquire a card that allows me to withdraw my money? is there a way that i can get the card for free, or maybe a small charge?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I lost my card and the branch i visited did not have stock of the previous package which was 1600 baht so had to buy a new insurance policy for 2800 baht just to get a atm card sigh sigh sigh

Edited by nazree360

I lost my card and the branch i visited did not have stock of the previous package which was 1600 baht so had to buy a new insurance policy for 2800 baht just to get a atm card sigh sigh sigh

What 'package' was this? Never heard of a 1600 baht package to get an atm card, please let us know

Opened my account in Big C in Pattaya and they said to me i had to buy an insurance package for the debt card and got the card.........went to hadyai for a short holiday and my atm card was sucked in because i forgot to take it out when i left ......went to the kasikorn branch where the card got eaten and they said to me sorry we do t have the atm card for that package and instead told me the only available atm is with another insurance package which is 2800......they did not change the bank book but filled in the form for the policy and gave me my card

Edited by nazree360

Honestly i think so too mate and to make it worst is two times ..... Well i hv learnt my lesson

Good luck next time mate, sorry if it sounded harsh.

At least it was only a few thousand baht. As you said lesson learnt hey? :)

My SCB card became brittle with age and to prevent an ATM machine from eating it went to my home branch for a replacement. The nice young lady told me that it would be 500 THB to replace my card

The price dropped down to a more reasonable 200 THB when I pointed out that it clearly stated on the card that it was the property of SCB and so it was not my card that needed replacing, but theirs

Opened my account in Big C in Pattaya and they said to me i had to buy an insurance package for the debt card and got the card.........went to hadyai for a short holiday and my atm card was sucked in because i forgot to take it out when i left ......went to the kasikorn branch where the card got eaten and they said to me sorry we do t have the atm card for that package and instead told me the only available atm is with another insurance package which is 2800......they did not change the bank book but filled in the form for the policy and gave me my card

" my atm card was sucked in because i forgot to take it out "

I think I understand why they want you to pay for insurance.

Tell them you don't like the price and you are going to shop around for another bank account. If that doesn't bring the price down then shop around.If you don't find it convenient to shop around then take solace in the fact that you are given the opportunity to pay for convenience. In a competitive market not much point in winding yourself up over expensive price offers.

Thanks for posting nonetheless - all part of a competitive market for buyers to keep each other informed.

I think I was charged 400 baht for a card when i opened up a new savings account at Krungsri a month ago. Perhaps the banks are targeting this area to maintain or increase profitability. Personally I have always been sanguine about bank charges. I don't expect banks to give me a good service of keeping my money on demand and providing me with facilities to withdraw it in so many locations. In the past when money was valuable there was a case to make for banks having already made a ton of money just from using the money deposited. In the current worldwide low interest environment banks do not ascribe much value to the deposits they take from you (in many countries they can borrow from their own central bank at less than half a percent!) and competitive forces mean they have to lend it to us and companies at historically low rates. Perhaps that is why we are seeing the peripheral charges going up to compensate for the costs of running the service.

Don't get me wrong - I'm no apologist for the banks anf am not connected with that industry. Clearly many are run by bozos, some are or were stuffed up by highly intelligent greed merchants and some have marketing wiz kids who invent so many new products that the humdrum staff are totally confused and serially f**kk up in running your account. On the whole though over my lifetime I've never thought I've been overcharged for a retail banking service. Compare and contrast the annual charge of your bank with taking your family out for a day to a theme park or a major sporting event!

I forgot my Bangkok Bank debit card in the machine when I made a withdrawal just two weeks ago. I cancelled the card and when to my Bangkok Bank. I got a new card and did not pay a baht more for it. What is all this insurance crap?

Edited by Mango Bob

Honestly if u ask me i would just say its another marketing tactic where they say a product comes along with the card which is the only way to purchase it.......and it is a legit insurance package ..........i just didnt want to bother with making things complicated so i just agreed SIMPLE!

Some kasikorn debi cards are a special account that includes accident insurance. A plain debit card is cheaper and plain ATM card is cheaper still.

Bangkok Bank is the most proferssional in my experience. No scams or extra charges, just good service.

It includes Personal Accident insurance to the tune of 5000 baht.

500b or so will be deducted from your account annually.

Should you ever be hit my a motosai or whatever, and don't have any other PA, you will be very glad you have it.

I know two people who needed it in a time of need - carted off in an ambulance to an expensive private hospital (Rama Gao, Bangkok). Not a time you need to be thinking about being fleeced by ambulance bills and hospital bills etc. The ATM card covered all costs including x-rays, meds, ambulance, ambulance, following checkup one week later.

Banks here are a bit greedy about charges for ATM cards. Prices at the green bank have been as high as 800 baht which is a total rip off IMO. In the US ATM cards are free, there is no charge for a replacement and there are no annual charges at least this is true with my account with BOFA. This is Thailand and that's just where they have chosen to squeeze the blood from the turnip.

My ATM card at BKK bank has no expiration. They just charge an annual fee which is deducted automatically from your account each year.

I think you were scammed, to put it bluntly. Twice as it works out for you.

You don't have to buy an insurance package to get a debit card.

No offence meant...

I.d be moving to Bangkok Bank if I had so much as one of these issues thrown at me.

Oh wait.

I did move from Kasikorn to bangkok bank. Much happier since doing that.

I forgot my Bangkok Bank debit card in the machine when I made a withdrawal just two weeks ago. I cancelled the card and when to my Bangkok Bank. I got a new card and did not pay a baht more for it. What is all this insurance crap?

Same happened to me a while back. Replaced with no charge.

I think its down not only to packages but to staff serving.

I was charged 300 for Kasikorn card and am a proud owner of hello kitty card(pink) the only choice i was given

One of my staff was charged 550.

Krungsi Bank, i was charged 100 for lost card, my staff was charged 300.

May be have something to do with the balance of the account or may be how competent the bank employee is

Kasikorn are OK with the pricing of their cards - Its usually a few hundred baht, per card, and to get a new card, you just pop into any branch with your passport.

I have a platinum account with Kasikorn, there is an insurance policy attatched, and its usually a good thing to have. If you have a motorbike accident, and the private ambulance comes to collect you, they will see you K-Card and take you to the hospital without question.

The platinum account has a charge of 700B per year or something close, I get free SMS when every transaction takes place and I also get free replacement cards.

I figure I will use 2-3 cards a year through wear'n'tear and loss - so at 300Bx3 = 900B I'm quids in.

Forget whatever they said and ask for a Platinum account.

I had Bangkok bank account, I lost the card and my local branch couldn't issue a replacement card, I had to return to Bangkok to my branch to collect a new card. As I'm in Hat Yai it was a real inconvenience.

whistling.gif When I opened my Bangkok Bank retirement account (800K) I was given a ATM/debit card.

No charge....this was in 2010.

In 2012 I changed to a BE1st ATM/debit card. Cost me 300 Baht I believe to change to the Be1st card

Advantage was that the BE1st card also can be used in neighboring countries. I have used it in non Bangkok Bank ATMs in Vietnam, Laos, and Malaysia to get local money there.

Of course there is a small fee for that for using a local ATM in that country, it's usually 5 or 6 dollars equivalent.

I only use the ATM/debit card if I need emergency or "backup" local funds in a foreign country.

Someone told me, although I've never actually tried it, that a Bangkok Bank Be1st card can also be used in the U.S.

As far as I know I do not pay an annual fee for my Be1st ATM/debit card.