Solar powered water or air pumps

properjob

Does anyone know where I might find a selection of water or air pumps that can be rigged so they are solar powered?

We're moving next to a large pond that has no natural flow through, so it is a mosquito breeding paradise. There are fish in there, so I think if I can get the pond aerated with a water pump/fountain arrangement or an air pump sending oxygen under the water through a venturi valve (or similar), I expect I can raise the fish population/reduce water stagnation/decrease the mosquito population.

Has anyone got experience of buying or building such a thing?

pj

There was a German outfit in Koan Kean a few years back. They make a lot of solar stuff. One thing they had on display in the pond out front was a floating disk that was a solar cell with a pump it just floats around the pond and jets a stream of water into the air when ever it has enough sun light, the ones they had running put out pretty good water too. Don't recall the name.

Try floating solar pump or something in google.

easiest, fastest and cheapest solution is adding a few mosquito larvae eating fish to your pond. a dozen different varieties exist and some of them are available in Thai pond shops. i have a pond since 9 years, originally used as koi pond but now without kois (too much headache) just as ornamental pond, no filtration and only twice a day aeration for ½ an hour by running the waterfall but zero mosquitoes.

POND.JPG

Actually you need more aeration at night, due to any plant life taking in

oxygen,and releasing carbon dioxide,while in the day the reverse is

happening,any solar device I have tried ,don't last long,if its a large

pond,better to go with a pump,some type of filtration and a venturi.

regards Worgeordie

Actually you need more aeration at night, due to any plant life taking in

oxygen,and releasing carbon dioxide,while in the day the reverse is

happening,any solar device I have tried ,don't last long,if its a large

pond,better to go with a pump,some type of filtration and a venturi.

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie,

Why do you think they are not not lasting long? Solar panel quality? Pump reliability? Or dirty water clogging up the works? I'm not really a DIY guy, but this challenge is interesting.

I've read that certain plants help keep the water clean. Does anyone have ideas on that?

pj

properjob,

i don't know the size of your pond but it seems you have not the slightest idea how much money you have to shell out to change your stagnant water by solar powered aeration or filtration to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. the same applies to energy used from the public grid.

the "larvae-vouros" fish i mentioned are 10-15 Baht a piece. spend a 100 or 200 Baht (depending on the water volume) and forget about mosquitoes!

The Amorn by the moat has a great selection of solar panels, inverter, batteries and water pumps...

But when I asked which panel goes with which inverter/battery and pump - no one who worked there knew blink.png

Edited by sfokevin

properjob,

i don't know the size of your pond but it seems you have not the slightest idea how much money you have to shell out to change your stagnant water by solar powered aeration or filtration to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. the same applies to energy used from the public grid.

the "larvae-vouros" fish i mentioned are 10-15 Baht a piece. spend a 100 or 200 Baht (depending on the water volume) and forget about mosquitoes!

Thanks for this advice, Naam. The pond is a very irregular, elongated teardrop shape, but I estimate it to be about 1000 square metres. If there's any chance I can rescue it with fish, I will most certainly try that first. But in the meantime, I like exploring other options. If it turns out to be ridiculously expensive to do it using a solar panel (and yes, a suitable panel seems to be upwards of 15,000 Baht - a price that might be hard to justify), then I'll set that idea aside later, when I've worked out all the variables.

properjob,

Thanks for this advice, Naam. The pond is a very irregular, elongated teardrop shape, but I estimate it to be about 1000 square metres. If there's any chance I can rescue it with fish, I will most certainly try that first. But in the meantime, I like exploring other options. If it turns out to be ridiculously expensive to do it using a solar panel (and yes, a suitable panel seems to be upwards of 15,000 Baht - a price that might be hard to justify), then I'll set that idea aside later, when I've worked out all the variables.

WOW 1,000m² surface area?! w00t.gif

to aerate that kind of pond several hundredthousand Baht of solar equipment wouldn't suffice and of course you have to get more than a dozen of the larvae eating fish.