Python bagged after blocking road passage near popular Phuket school

Lite Beer

Python bagged after blocking road passage near popular Phuket school
Darawan Naknakhon

1431221385_7961.jpg

PHUKET: It took the efforts of eight rescue volunteers to finally bag a four- to five-meter-long reticulated python that was obstructing passage to a street opposite the Bang Nieo School late last night.

Just past the midnight hour, (early today, May 10) the “361 Rescue” team was alerted by villagers that a huge snake was coiled up in the middle of the street at the front of the entrance to Soi Jun Ussa Vasook lane, just opposite the famous school in Phuket City Municipality's Talad Yai sub district.

Startled by the sight of the snake when at the front of the soi, residents said that they did not dare pass because the coiled up snake “looked like it would attack anyone who came near”.

Concerned about the greater threat for the community, home to many children and elderly persons, residents called for help, which arrived to the scene shortly thereafter.

After tedious efforts, the rescue team finally were able to catch and bag the snake before taking it to an undisclosed rural location for release.

The reticulated python was estimated to weigh as much as 60 kilogrammes.

“We get calls like this all the time, everyday, midday and midnight – for all kinds of snakes. Namely, Ngoo Leuam, Ngoo Laem [two types of pythons here, see below] and cobras, the former two of which are most common,” a rescue volunteer told The Phuket News.

“Ngoo Laam (Python bivittatus, the socalled Burmese Python) are more dangerous than Ngoo Leuam (Python reticulatus), especially for kids, so be very careful and notify us immediately if you come across one. Don't approach it yourself,” he said.

See a snake in Phuket? Read this to find out what to do, who to call.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/python-bagged-after-blocking-road-passage-near-popular-phuket-school-52241.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-10

That's a big snake ! "4-5 meters" (approx 12-15') and 60 kgs (135 lbs) !

Snakes don't (normally) scare me but when they are that big I think I'd be at least a little nervous. (But if we had one or two that size around here then maybe we wouldn't have as many noisy, mangy, crapping-everywhere soi dogs and yowling cats in the neighbourhood.)

Nice to know someone got the species right. Where I live every snake is a King Cobra as it is the only snake they have heard of. Wish I could find one like this , great pet and less barking dogs in the soi. My cat Samsee-the-vicious might disagree.

What a beautiful looking creature. You would expect it to be shy and disappear quickly, tarmac not it's preferred surface. Could be something wrong with it, or just had very large meal.

Nice to know someone got the species right. Where I live every snake is a King Cobra as it is the only snake they have heard of. Wish I could find one like this , great pet and less barking dogs in the soi. My cat Samsee-the-vicious might disagree.

I understand, trust me. Interesting though... My Siamese in Los Angeles was named Sidney Owen... The Sid came from Sid Vicious because of his unrelenting and merciless attacks on my ankles while walking the house. The latter part of his name came from Michael Owen, because once he got the the little nerf ball... he was brilliant.

Edited by Local Drunk