SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In your opinion, what is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand? These are broad categories, so please feel free to add a comment about what you see as being the biggest drawback to living in Thailand.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The general unavailability of intellectual stimulation.

There's also the extreme version of Face, and it's attendant racism.

Agree with this. If I moved back to the USA I'd come back to Thai Visa and post every day just to show people how intellectually stimulated I was since leaving Thailand.

for a retiree the biggest deterrent is the lack of income tax levied on his worldwide income. the joy and intellectual stimulation of three weeks preparing a tax return is missing whistling.gif

Main drawback to living in Thailand!!

Bloody clowns who have no respect consideration for other road users.

Yes look at what happened to you Colin. I have to deal with these crazy drivers every day.... Its a bloody nightmare.

Agree with this. If I moved back to the USA I'd come back to Thai Visa and post every day just to show people how intellectually stimulated I was since leaving Thailand.

Perhaps you misread the title of the thread. It says Poll, not troll.

None of the above categories. I moved out of tourist areas several years ago.

My life since then has been fantastic.

Cost of housing try 1 mil: bht for a 5 double bedroom 6 wet room place was 6 bedroom but have changed one to a western style kitchen.

Other cost are Thai prices not the over inflated ones some have to fork out.

Xenophobia and the likes doesn't exist here, in fact on the contrary the locals go out of their way to welcome you in.

Driving on roads where I live are a doddle not to much traffic well only on holiday weekends.

Regards the Visa if you have the right amount of monies and requirements all is easy.

A trip once a year to the office how simple can that be.

People make their own problems go with the flow Thai fashion get away from tourists areas and you will find your life will improve 500%

Off now have just had my BKK Post delivered.

Edited by fredob43

Nothing wrong with living here. It is a foreign Country and so has ways different to home which after all, is the attraction for most people.

The only deterrent for me is the awkward and difficult procedures required to stay here.... visas, reporting, etc.

Those who are retired and intend to spend the rest of their life (and money) here are bocked from attaining more secure staus such as Nationality or Permanent residence because they do not work and/or pay tax.

Even you, HJC, have to admit that there is more than a little irony that someone who found Thailand intellectually unstimulating, upon returning to his more intellectually stimulating home country, can't seem to find a better source of intellectual stimulation than revisiting a forum filled with expats who, according to you, must be suffering from the same lack of intellectual stimulation that you experienced here. smile.png

Even you, HJC, have to admit that there is more than a little irony that someone who found Thailand intellectually unstimulating, upon returning to his more intellectually stimulating home country, can't seem to find a better source of intellectual stimulation than revisiting a forum filled with expats who, according to you, must be suffering from the same lack of intellectual stimulation that you experienced here. smile.png

Don't put words in my mouth, and don't presume to know what I find intellectually stimulating, or where I find it.

There are a number of posters here who are intellectually stimulating.

EDIT: Spellchecker

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Traffic is my biggest gripe, the way peple drive is like they have just stolen the car they are driving!!

I would never drive a motorbike here, I know of 2 people, one I knew well that have died while riding a bike.

I have friends that ride and I am always on at them to drive their cars, but they like the wind in their hair and the ease of parking, and getting through heavy traffic. That's up to them, but definately not for me

Ah but you cant argue with the guy,one thing Thais and Thailand aint and thats "intellectually stimulating"

I went back and forth between 1, 3 and 5.

1 - Safety issues. I pretty much stay in my apartment (gratefully it has a nice gym!) until the day I fly out of here, headed for Mexico. I used to ride my bicycle, too, but the recent stories I've read made me think again, THEN the apartment manager himself said, "It's not safe to ride out there any more."

3 - Not sure if we can use the "D" word that is NOT "Democracy," it seemed that for a short while it was acceptable. This nut job currently at the helm is creating frightening policies that are affecting us. I came here when Thaksin was couped out, no one noticed a thing. THIS "Queen of Hearts" is trickling down everywhere.

5 - Bottom line, I can't play music in public as a VOLUNTEER without fear of getting arrested. Time to move on . . .