SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To all the persons thinking people come here for medical care, they don't. Wealthy persons from MENA go to Bumrumgrad which is US accred and just as expensive. They might go to US or any other country if they could get visas!

Thailand is great for minor stuff. First aid, dengue... Doctors imo lack analytic skills to both diagnose and treat illness. Hospital equipment not up to date and doctors are just obsessed with perscribing medicines that people don't need and may even be harmful. Thus is a very serious problem here.

They also seemingly don't really care if you die honestly. It impacts their business and conscious nill.

Have you ever received any critical care in a Thai hospital?

My MIL is currently receiving medical care in a Thai hospital, and it scares the bejesus out of me to think I might end up in a place like that. Patients in the corridor and family sleeping on the floor or camped outside. If you don't have family to look after you, you are in deep doo doo. Don't expect nurses to do personal care.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To all the persons thinking people come here for medical care, they don't. Wealthy persons from MENA go to Bumrumgrad which is US accred and just as expensive. They might go to US or any other country if they could get visas!

Thailand is great for minor stuff. First aid, dengue... Doctors imo lack analytic skills to both diagnose and treat illness. Hospital equipment not up to date and doctors are just obsessed with perscribing medicines that people don't need and may even be harmful. Thus is a very serious problem here.

They also seemingly don't really care if you die honestly. It impacts their business and conscious nill.

My MIL is currently receiving medical care in a Thai hospital, and it scares the bejesus out of me to think I might end up in a place like that. Patients in the corridor and family sleeping on the floor or camped outside. If you don't have family to look after you, you are in deep doo doo. Don't expect nurses to do personal care.
Don't expect Farang hospitals to do personal care for free. Quite sure you could get personal care services in Thailand, too, if you have no family to care for you. Edited by micmichd

Why don't you send her to a good hospital in Thailand. My wife and most of her family have insurance that pays for quality care at quality hospitals. It's not like it's not available.

Nurses and personal care is not expensive nor is it difficult. I was in the hospital and my employer paid for nurses aids to watch me round the clock and it was not expensive.

Hospitals in Thailand won't let you stay in a private room unless you have someone to stay with you. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

From your wife's point of view I understand. From your point of view I understand that you have never lived in Thailand.

I think many people go through learning phases. It is easy to criticize something you have never done.

Australia has a wide variety of poisonous things (I think more than any other country). Thailand has a wide variety of females that are available (I think more than any other country).

No accounting for taste. Each to their own.

Are you referring to prostitutes?

If not, I beg to differ.

There's infinitely more in places like the Phil's or Indo and with fewer requirements

I think the demographic crunch is starting to show in Thailand

No I'm talking about grocery stores. When I go to the grocery store in the West maybe one or two women smile at me and chat me up. In Thailand it is more like 20.

The Philippines or Indonesia are not comparable to Thailand. But that's the subject of another long thread.

No I'm talking about grocery stores. When I go to the grocery store in the West maybe one or two women smile at me and chat me up. In Thailand it is more like 20.

My experience is very similar.

How many women did I smile and engage in conversation with in a grocery store back home? Maybe one in the last 15 years living in America. Shocking but true, and I'm not a bad looking guy.

How many women do I smile at and engage in conversation while shopping in Thailand? As many as I want to/very frequently. Many many women make eye contact, smile, invite conversation. I feel like I can approach almost anyone anytime anywhere. Try that in America, and you're liable to get pepper sprayed.

Generally Farangs can't look each other in their eyes.

It's aggressive behaviour to them, the expected reaction is to show that you surrender by turning down your eyes. Dog-like behaviour, but normal behaviour to Farangs.

if a guy stare at you , you think <deleted>? is he gay or what?

bit if someone say "escuse me, can you tell me...." that 's OK.

would you stare at people for no reason ? it s extremely inconfortable.

Ladies in USA say "don't talk to me I have a boy friend"

sorry, I just wanted to ask you what time is it.!!!

you see this only in America..... :)

Edited by VIPinthailand

I don't care if someone is gay or not.

Looking in each other's eye is important to see if both sides are honest.

I accept if other ladies want to be left alone because they have a boyfriend. Also of course if they don't want me for some other reason.

Edited by micmichd

Don't expect Farang hospitals to do personal care for free. Quite sure you could get personal care services in Thailand, too, if you have no family to care for you.

If you mean farang hospitals in farangland you are wrong. As a nurse for many years I did personal cares for patients at no extra charge.

Of course you can get care assistants in LOS, if you pay them.

Why don't you send her to a good hospital in Thailand. My wife and most of her family have insurance that pays for quality care at quality hospitals. It's not like it's not available.

Nurses and personal care is not expensive nor is it difficult. I was in the hospital and my employer paid for nurses aids to watch me round the clock and it was not expensive.

Hospitals in Thailand won't let you stay in a private room unless you have someone to stay with you. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Do YOU pay the insurance for your Thai family?

My MIL isn't in a private room, she is in a ward.

My wife, who has insurance ( that I paid for ) gets to stay in a private room and I don't have to be with her. Might be a problem if she was bedridden though.

Don't expect Farang hospitals to do personal care for free. Quite sure you could get personal care services in Thailand, too, if you have no family to care for you.

If you mean farang hospitals in farangland you are wrong. As a nurse for many years I did personal cares for patients at no extra charge.

Of course you can get care assistants in LOS, if you pay them.

When I brought up medical care in Thailand , as a major factor for me, not to move to Thailand full time, I did not do that to criticize medical care in Thailand

Though I have limited experience with the medical industry in Thailand , I am sure it is top notch

The reason it is of concern to me,at my age, and financial shape,

is that it is not available to me, at little or no cost as it is in the US where my insurance is,

and any medical care I get in Thailand under any government insurance scheme that might or might not be available to me, I dont think will be of the same caliber as the one available to me by the insurance available to me by the labor union I belong to.

I make no value judgment , only state a fact,in my situation.

I am sure many others are n the same boat, I personally know of a few.

PS: I have found the nurses at US hospitals to be, competent, helpful,caring, pleasant, and cheerfuller, They were always very nice to me.

And as far as I know, no emergency room in the US will turn you away because you don't have insurance.

not sure if the same is true in Thailand. but I am not willing to test it.

you see this only in America..... smile.png

Do you spend a lot of time wondering if strangers are gay or not?

Seems an odd hobby.

you see this only in America..... smile.png

When people stare at me, I correctly assume is is because of my incredible good looks.

Men don't have to be gay to appreciate beauty.

Do YOU pay the insurance for your Thai family?

My MIL isn't in a private room, she is in a ward.

My wife, who has insurance ( that I paid for ) gets to stay in a private room and I don't have to be with her. Might be a problem if she was bedridden though.

I don't pay. Depending on the individual they have three levels of care, A. Government B. Employment provided deal with a good hospital C. Paid insurance with the expensive Farang hospital. So I have seen all three levels with them and myself too.

in USA they don't turn you away in case of emergency, but they will kick you out if they see you have no insurance after giving you Healthcare.

many guys left hospital on wheel chairs with bandage and back on the streets.

in Thailand they will follow you to the atm to be sure you pay. this is where you can have a chance to run away. :)

Edited by VIPinthailand