SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All of the above.coffee1.gif

Agree. But I opted for the last one, they do not really want us here.

Spot on. They don't indeed.

And they don't really want to learn English, but they love to be seen to be 'learning' English!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my biggest issue here is the downright inconsistency and absurdity in the rules regarding the various visas, particularly the ones governing long stay. My point is if you are going to issue a retirement visa , then do so and have some clear rules for clarification. What is in place is pathetic. it is not a retirement visa. it is only a scam to drain funds from retirees. A retirement visa should have meaning. Retirees should be allowed the ease and comfort to settle and not as second class citizens. We are paying handsomely for this privilege and our contribution to the economy should be recognized. If you are going to issue a retirement visa, then do it and not fake it.

The cost of the retirement extension for one year is about .15 cents a day. Is that too much for you then? The time required for my retirement extension is 20 minutes per year. Is that too much time for you?

Is .15 cents a day what you call paying handsomely?

Deterrents? Doesn't everyone on this forum live in Thailand? If there were any deterrents, they wouldn't be here. Or is this just another topic for old losers to complain about everything Thai.

or for all other losers to apologize for all that sh1t that is going on here ....blink.png

Deterrents? Doesn't everyone on this forum live in Thailand? If there were any deterrents, they wouldn't be here. Or is this just another topic for old losers to complain about everything Thai.

or for all other losers to apologize for all that sh1t that is going on here ....blink.png

A good example of two people looking at the same thing and getting different meanings.

A poster complained about expensive retirement extensions and I asked him if he thought 15. cents a day was expensive and you think I'm a loser because I explained the cost of a retirement extension (I guess you include me in the loser category).

You say loser apologist and I'm thinking factual commentary.

I wouldn't call anybody any names I'd stick to debating the facts. But that's just me....wai2.gif

Simple, don't like it leave.

Some have done it already, problem they cannot leave ThaiVisa whistling.gif

Wouldn't it be better if Thai & expat related subjects were blocked for IP addresses outside of Thailand ?

I mean blocked for posting or replying , they may read them.

@ lee b : what if you can't leave , because there is nothing to go back too ?

Retirement should be hassle free. Should not have to engage in such things as not knowing what will happen next with a visa. one should make a one time arrangement for a retirement visa. you either qualify or you don't and after that , you can become a permanent resident after a certain span of time

No visa issues at home, mate

It's hilarious how many of you people seem to expect the Thai authorities to factor the lifetime of work you've done, the taxes you've paid and the usefulness you've outlived IN ANOTHER COUNTRY into their immigration policies.

Your toil benefited YOUR country in terms of taxes, not Thailand.

Your retirement - quite rightly - means a great deal to you but it doesn't mean jack schit to the Thais beyond what they can earn out of you . . . nor should it.

This isn't a purpose-built and run retirement home. They don't hand you a pipe, slippers and a Val Doonican cardigan upon arrival.

foreigners!!!!!

never have i lived in a foreign country where there are so many negative...anti social...grumpy..stick in the ass...worthless foreigners.

THIS ALONE is the biggest deterrent.

Doesnt matter what country they are from....their own countries are better off without them.

too bad they had to come to thailand

Too bad you did, who wants to listen to your whining?

A lot of folk are not enjoying the visa situation in Thailand. Try getting a visa for the UK if you're not European or USA if you're not Canadian! My favourite country was Brasil but eventually we had to pacjk up and leave because of the visas (and company set-up etc). Thailand is not the easiest but cretainly not the hardest regarding visas.

my biggest issue here is the downright inconsistency and absurdity in the rules regarding the various visas, particularly the ones governing long stay. My point is if you are going to issue a retirement visa , then do so and have some clear rules for clarification. What is in place is pathetic. it is not a retirement visa. it is only a scam to drain funds from retirees. A retirement visa should have meaning. Retirees should be allowed the ease and comfort to settle and not as second class citizens. We are paying handsomely for this privilege and our contribution to the economy should be recognized. If you are going to issue a retirement visa, then do it and not fake it.

The cost of the retirement extension for one year is about .15 cents a day. Is that too much for you then? The time required for my retirement extension is 20 minutes per year. Is that too much time for you?

What country do you live in where you can pay 55 cents per year for retirement extension?

In my opinion, there are two main deterrents.

1. The stupidity of so many vehicle drivers and motorbike riders. Take too much time to go into

all the reasons, but I think you get my drift.

2. Immigration offices, Amphurs, Banks etc. They all make up there own rules, when all the rules

should be the same.

Scott, why not make the next survey about the main joys of living in Thailand?

That should keep away the idiot members of the 'if you don't like it then go home' brigade.

Although Thailand has it's faults, there are many main joys of living here.

What country do you live in where you can pay 55 cents per year for retirement extension?

I don't know. .55 cents sounds expensive to me. I said .15 cents (USD cents) per day for a Thai retirement extension for a year.

Scott, why not make the next survey about the main joys of living in Thailand?

That should keep away the idiot members of the 'if you don't like it then go home' brigade.

Although Thailand has it's faults, there are many main joys of living here.

It'll just bring out the 'everyone's here for the girls, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying or gay' idiots instead.

visa regulations could be easier. Except this, I've been living and working in 5 different countries around the world so far, for me, Thailand is the one offering me the best , easy and greatest life!...mthanks to the Thai people!....Of course, I live far away from big tourist area!....

To nongai. I agree with you totally. I don't have too many issues at all with living in Thailand, certainly none of the dot points in the survey questionnaire. The visa requirements and extensions are a pain, I am sure they could overhaul and streamline the process. One thing that does puzzle me is the fact that farang on marriage or retirement extensions are not allowed to work in any way including mentoring. Everyone in my village wants me to help their kids with learning to speak English. I am told I cannot do this, even if I did this for free. I cannot assist my neighbour to fix his fence, fix his car or any other skills I have.

Yes, jobbing should be easier for Farangs if there is no Thai to do it.

Take a movie for example, they might need someone there who plays a Farang. Maybe only short time. Would be a good idea if they could just pick up a Farang for the role.

I did this in Bombay many years ago. Why shouldn't it work out in Thailand?

to lostoday, not sure about your answer, but I assume you have the best intentions. I don't have formal degrees in teaching, I don't want to take a teachers employment. But the teacher of English at the local small school wants me to visit for 2 hours every day to assist him. He still does, he says to not worry about the no work rule. Conversational English was what he wants. I am not too silly, and my wife says "no can do". So no can do. As for helping my neighbours (mostly the relatives of my wife), sure, I help them when no jealous person can see me. But my village is a community effort, I am mostly accepted. My point was that I could assist them all with the skills that I have.