Time to ditch the road?

moonoi

Since I crashed by bike (all in my lonesome I might add), my family no longer wants me riding on the road. It hasn't helped with the 2 high profile accidents, open of which was just 2km from my house and on my regular riding route, with the usual justification of "you're being selfish, you have kids and a wife to take care of etc etc"

So they've strong hinted that I should sell my pride and joy and understanding the cycling is part of my blood, politely suggested I should use the money to buy a full sus MTB and then go ride off road out of the way of cars at places like the new Peppermint Bike Park and the Army Club 11 MTB course.

Problem for me is, I'm pure roadie, I have a hardtail MTB, but personally so far I've found it boring compared to the road. Maybe full sus would make it a different experience? I don't know, I'm not convinced.

Btw the green lane at suvarnabhumi isn't an option for me, too far away.

What would you do?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always wondered if I am doing something wrong in relation to mountain biking, by its very nature it should be fun I think, yet I find it lacking......that's why I ask, could it be the bike? If I get a nice full sus, let's say a Commencal Meta AM v4.....will it be that much better that I start to enjoy it, or is it money down the drain?

I am pure road, but had a MTB in Europe, I liked go the non asphalt roads up a mountain. I was a reckless downhill on the streetbike but scared on the MTB.

Tell your wife now you only go slow that might satisfy the family.....Or hint that you could go the massage place instead or drink some beer at the local bars......

Or make a 1.000.000 Baht life insurance biggrin.png

I agree that of the two disciplines, one is more boring than the other. but am having a hard time understanding why you find road riding more exciting than off-road mountain biking - can you explain a little?

At nearly 70 y/o MTB is just not in the cards for me so I stick to what I know I can do which is ride the roads. In my younger days I used to ride and enjoy enduro motrocycles, but things change. Exciting is different things to different people. I am excited to meet and talk with people from all walks of life while on the road here in Thailand as well as the other countries I've cycled in. I've seen sooooo many things on my trips that I would probably have missed in a car or MC. It also get me me away from the daily routine.

im a road biker but i had an accident 3 months ago and sufferred a broken wrist whitch isnt healing very quick (perhaps due to my age 74) and im really keen to start riding again,ive never tried off road and i think im too old anyway,just wish i could start riding again.

I was taken out by a motorcycle from the rear and my bike was then run over by a pick up truck (funnily enough I was cycling from my home to the Suvarnaphum track when taken out). I had managed to get out of the way of the truck. As soon as the bike was repaired I was back on the road again with scabby knees and elbow. Luckily my injuries were not life threatening. I was a bit nervous about vehicles taking me out from the rear after that for a few weeks but am back to my usually self now.

I too am not interested in doing all my riding off road or doing circuits. I like to set out with a destination in mind, look at things around me, stop and take pictures if anything takes my fancy, stop at a mom and pop shop for a Sponsor or water, sing and shout and not give a damn about what people think of me as I pedal along. The road gives me that freedom. Don't get me wrong though, I do try to push it and do NOT tootle along at 10 or 15 km/h. BTW I always cycle solo.

I agree that of the two disciplines, one is more boring than the other. but am having a hard time understanding why you find road riding more exciting than off-road mountain biking - can you explain a little?

Maybe because what is available for MTB around Bangkok isn't challenging? I don't know, I love the speed and adrenaline I get out of riding on the road, every time I've tried off road, I find it uninteresting and not fun. But then again when I road motorcycles in Europe, I always preferred road/track to off road/Enduro.

But that's why I asked, could it also be the bike? I know on the road, I went through a few machines be for I found one that suited me (Trek Madone 3.1, Cervelo S5, Specialized Allez E5 and finally to the one that I can't imagine living without Giant TCR SL ISP).

What I am thinking now is to keep my road bike, but only use it on rollers/turbo, sell my HT MTB and buy a full sus one instead and try again. That might keep the missus happy until she has forgotten about the recent accidents and my fall.

She even suggested I go ride around Hua Mark Velodrome instead, now that would be incredibly boring!

Maybe because what is available for MTB around Bangkok isn't challenging? I don't know, I love the speed and adrenaline I get out of riding on the road, every time I've tried off road, I find it uninteresting and not fun.

If you appreciate speed and adrenaline, DH may be your ticket.

Unfortunately, Bangkok is not the best place for downhill riding, although there are a few dedicated people trying to change that (https://www.facebook.com/bkkpod). Given BKK topography it's probably a bit of a challenge.

There are decent (though twisty) XC tracks at Putthamonthon park and Club 11, good enough for regular endurance training and some basic technique.

Most Bangkok-based Downhillers, head out to Khao Ito and other destinations outside of Bangkok.

The choice between riding in the beautiful and quiet surrounding of a forest or on noisy roads with legions of plonkers piloting smoke-belching metal boxes always was an easy one for me.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Maybe because what is available for MTB around Bangkok isn't challenging? I don't know, I love the speed and adrenaline I get out of riding on the road, every time I've tried off road, I find it uninteresting and not fun.

If you appreciate speed and adrenaline, DH may be your ticket.

Unfortunately, Bangkok is not the best place for downhill riding, although there are a few dedicated people trying to change that (https://www.facebook.com/bkkpod). Given BKK topography it's probably a bit of a challenge.

There are decent (though twisty) XC tracks at Putthamonthon park and Club 11, good enough for regular endurance training and some basic technique.

Most Bangkok-based Downhillers, head out to Khao Ito and other destinations outside of Bangkok.

The choice between riding in the beautiful and quiet surrounding of a forest or on noisy roads with legions of plonkers piloting smoke-belching metal boxes always was an easy one for me.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I've been to club 11 a few times on my old Merida big Nine Lite XC and my current Commencal Meta AM HT. just found it too technical and boring, not really much in the way of jumps (fun?) and not really any hills to either go up or down.

Ok, it seems to be more about access to good routes, than one type of riding being more, or less, boring.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Bangkok riding options to help, other than to suggest moving to somewhere with better riding choices, if possible.

I've been to club 11 a few times on my old Merida big Nine Lite XC and my current Commencal Meta AM HT. just found it too technical and boring, not really much in the way of jumps (fun?)

The issue is encapsulated in the phrase "too technical and boring". You can't go fast on this type of track without proper technique, and if you don't go fast it's not fun = boring. In order to have fun on trails like these, you first have to get cornering, weighting, and shifting right.

Your Merida or Commencal is perfect for the Club 11, because the trail isn't very rough and you don't need full sus there. The hardtail is an advantage, because it allows you to accelerate faster, and since the trail is narrow and twisty it forces you to accelerate and decelerate all the time.

Cheers, CM-Expat

im a road biker but i had an accident 3 months ago and sufferred a broken wrist whitch isnt healing very quick (perhaps due to my age 74) and im really keen to start riding again,ive never tried off road and i think im too old anyway,just wish i could start riding again.

Off road is extremely hard on your wrists and elbows.

Don't even think about it.

You can do that on a road bike too you know ;-)

Show me. ;-)

Cheers, CM-Expat

Downtown racing with the street bike includes a lot jumping (up the sidewalks), or down some stairs with the thin street tires. But I think it isn't done in Bangkok, or at least no one lived long enough to report back.....

Surely not boring....

Show me. ;-)

Cheers, CM-Expat

Downtown racing with the street bike includes a lot jumping (up the sidewalks), or down some stairs with the thin street tires. But I think it isn't done in Bangkok, or at least no one lived long enough to report back.....

Surely not boring....

Or bunny hopping over speed bumps / sleeping policemen :)

Moon... I was a roadie back in my younger days, but around 30 years of age, I converted and never looked back. You should consider moving up north where there are infinite trails with no cars, no exhaust fumes, shade, and plenty of nature. My most dangerous part of the ride is getting from the house to the trail head. After that, it is all smiles! Here's a video TV member Tonto21 put together of a scouting trip that ended up being one of our favorite weekly rides. Up north, we have lots of climbing too on the trails that get you in shape quickly.

Show me. ;-)

Cheers, CM-Expat

Surely not boring....

Or bunny hopping over speed bumps / sleeping policemen smile.png

Yes I already start again to hop over holes or speed bumps on the street. I don't feel perfect with the new bike yet, but it is coming.

Would be fun to hop over a soi dogtongue.png

You should consider moving up north where there are infinite trails with no cars, no exhaust fumes, shade, and plenty of nature.

and if he misses the fumes he can stick around the north during the burning season

Martyn Ashton's 'Roadbike Party' series shows what is possible.

and... The Valparaiso Urban Downhill shows how to MTB the street. smile.png

Moonoi: Not suggesting you should try either!

OGB is right: The problem is the lack of a good MTB playground in/near BKK.

Unless you're willing to take the time to travel, I agree with CM Expat: stick to your hardtail . You'll gain better technique anyway.

On the MTB vs Road thing: Coming from a DH background, I think the MTB is right brained and Road more Left Brained. Until I took up Road, I was pleasantly clueless about distance travelled/ altitude or heart rate/cadence/gearing etc. Nowdays I'm totally confused - hell, I even have a XC hardtail and a fixie!

Moon... I was a roadie back in my younger days, but around 30 years of age, I converted and never looked back. You should consider moving up north where there are infinite trails with no cars, no exhaust fumes, shade, and plenty of nature. My most dangerous part of the ride is getting from the house to the trail head. After that, it is all smiles! Here's a video TV member Tonto21 put together of a scouting trip that ended up being one of our favorite weekly rides. Up north, we have lots of climbing too on the trails that get you in shape quickly.

I'd love to, but I and the missus still have to work and we don't have a office up north :) I can only stay here because of my job (non-imm B with WP) , not sure I'd find something up there either that would pay as well and feed my cycling habit.

Btw I did make a video of my Club 11 ride here

Edit: seems some you tube links can't be posted?

One kind of bike i come back to all the time is my old Specialized Tricross. A 700c cyclo cross/ road bike/ tourer/ off roader. A sort of do it all bike which rides really smooth on the roads and can do all most everything a mountain bike can. The relevance to this thread is you can ride out of town on the road but head off down the first dirt track you see. You can leave rhe roads behind. A great bike to explore on.

One kind of bike i come back to all the time is my old Specialized Tricross. A 700c cyclo cross/ road bike/ tourer/ off roader. A sort of do it all bike which rides really smooth on the roads and can do all most everything a mountain bike can. The relevance to this thread is you can ride out of town on the road but head off down the first dirt track you see. You can leave rhe roads behind. A great bike to explore on.

I was looking at a Giant TCX for that reason, but I don't think even CX bike could tackle Club 11s single track for example.

The missus is being firm, I've convinced her it's not worth me selling my road bike so I'm probably going to buy some rollers and just use the road bike indoors, so I can switch between the turbo and rollers and not get too bored I hope. And I've seen a nice Giant Reign X frame at a good price, so thinking to pick that up and build it up myself as a project while I recover from my accident and then go practice at Club 11 and Peppermint. I heard there is some good tracks out by U Tapao (not sure of spelling) base as well, maybe I need to find some MTB club to ride with sometimes as well.

I can't not ride, but want to keep the missus happy as well, and seems I might get another bike out of it as well ;-) maybe if I'm more serious with MTB as well, it might be more fun this time?

So changing topic slightly, would you buy the frame and build it up, or go fully built and why?

Archived