Time to ditch the road?

moonoi

My wife worries about me, and that is a good thing, but she trusts me to be smart and not take unreasonable risks.

And the policy is paid up...

Apologies for the random (and certainly not personal since I know neither you, nor your wife) hit and run... I couldn't resist.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roads the Mode. Much more fun in a Chain gang talking about how good you were when you were young. A bit hard to do this when your riding single track.

Whereas on singletrack, you have to be 100% in the present rather than in the past, because otherwise you make mistakes and eat dust. That's what I love about offroad riding.

People sure have strong opinions about what other people should be doing or not doing. When it comes to riding my bike, I have three main considerations. Where I ride, when I ride and how I ride.

Haha, very true. Actually, I am pretty sure that we will neither turn @moonoi into a Steve Peat, nor will we talk you into jumping 3m road gaps. The only strong opinion I have is that one should try out other disciplines from time to time. At the very least, it's an interesting experience and it might change one's perspective.

Cheers, CM-Expat

The missus & I enjoy a good cross country ride and we don't race...we like the scenery.

We just head out for a pedal and have fun & get some exercise; it's what we like to do.

I have 2 MTB's: Cannondale Taurine SL(no Lefty, RS SID instead), Avid BB7's, Sram X0's

Bontrager rims & Maxxis ridgeline tires. Trek X-Cal 29er kitted out same-same as the

Cannondale. Missus rides an older Trek 8000 series hardtail now kitted out same-same

as my bikes. Bike kits are good enough, not the latest or fanciest but very good &

dependable stuff. We use brain buckets too...even for a run into town (Ranong) to

the "pub". I like to ride every day...some days 50+ kilometers or more while the usual

pedal is around 20Kms...most all off road up trails & jungle paths...going slowly....rain

or shine.

Advice from me....well....don't be afraid of being on the roads but be very aware while

on them. NEVER...I repeat...NEVER...pedal through a puddle. They may be deeper than

you can ever imagine (from personal experience).

Have fun but stay safe to ride another day.

Martyn Ashton's 'Roadbike Party' series shows what is possible.

Actually, that shows what you should never try on a road bike.

You do know that Martyn Ashton is now a paraplegic, don't you?

Not really, given that his injuries were sustained during a trials demo at the British Moto GP and wasn't riding a road bike at the time........

Going on from that, I think Martyn Ashton is a true cycling legend, and a good role model, as despite his injuries he is still riding and hasn't given up on his dreams.

Roads the Mode. Much more fun in a Chain gang talking about how good you were when you were young. A bit hard to do this when your riding single track.

Whereas on singletrack, you have to be 100% in the present rather than in the past, because otherwise you make mistakes and eat dust. That's what I love about offroad riding.

People sure have strong opinions about what other people should be doing or not doing. When it comes to riding my bike, I have three main considerations. Where I ride, when I ride and how I ride.

Haha, very true. Actually, I am pretty sure that we will neither turn @moonoi into a Steve Peat, nor will we talk you into jumping 3m road gaps. The only strong opinion I have is that one should try out other disciplines from time to time. At the very least, it's an interesting experience and it might change one's perspective.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I'm ok with being a Danny Macaskill though ;-)

Thing about MTB is I want to love it, I love watching it, but so far riding off road feels a bit 'meh' to me.

Hmm a theme here, Martyn Ashton, Danny Macaskill......maybe I should try my hand at Trials instead......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So changing topic slightly, would you buy the frame and build it up, or go fully built and why?

Buy the frame and build it yourself, because you will gain knowledge that you will eventually need for frequent adjustments and trailside repairs, which are part and parcel of full-sus trail riding. Just choosing components is an education in itself.

I don't know where you live, but I have a full collection of most bike tools and have built up and maintained all my own bikes over the years.
If you want some help give me a PM. I'm in CM... all help and advice is free...ok, I'll take a beer.

I used to show many people how to change a tire/fix a flat. It doesn't involve any tools.
Sorry, but I do not have any Campy tools.

MTB riding to me is a constant dynamic activity...depending on the ride of course...but you are constantly firing off in your mind; shift, pedal, lean, duck, lift, bike to the right/body to the left, lean back, rear brake/up shift, pedal...etc...

I did the road bike only for fitness, did several Tour de Tucson rides and road over the Rockies, BUT... my passion is mountain biking.
I decided to never road ride here as the risk to reward ratio is not enough for me... But I do like dirt roads and small mountain roads on the mtb.

AND, I would rather get taken out by my own misjudgment and crashing into a tree or whatever, then being run down by a nut job in a truck and then fleeing the scene...I just don't want to die that way.

The crash in Doi Saket was just tragic on all levels... the video was very real.

A truly insensitive remark on your part, even with the disclaimer. My wife would be devastated to lose me as I would be her.

It's a fair point, though. It behoves me to make sure I am adequately insured, and if I am not adequately ensured for the benefit of my family, then it is reckless of me to expose myself to additional risks for my own pleasure. As my children get closer to completing their education, the level of insurance that is adequate (or more correctly, the adequacy of my fixed insurance cover) changes.

If I take a week or two, or a month or two, off work with broken limbs, it will not be the end of the world, but brain damage would be catastrophic for the family. Hence my preference for wearing a helmet.

SC

It is just the two of us and I have that covered. I don’t have any insurance, pension or government benefits but there will be more than enough left over for her when I am gone. We haven’t all followed the same path through life or ended up with the same concerns and responsibilities in our old age.

Until recently I was a mtb advocate but I slowly started spending more time on the road as I linked dirt trails together, since I hate retracing my steps and prefer a circular route. The mtb seemed less than efficient on roads so thought I would try a road bike and when I did I was bitten by the road bug. Maybe it is just new but I like the feel and the comfort of gliding along paved roads and all the tech stuff that came with the bike. The mtb started off as a way to get somewhere to take pictures and see the countryside. Now the ride has grown to be more important, perhaps because there really aren't any new places to take photos within riding distance. I have so many photos on Google+ already and I don't want to endlessly repeat myself.

It is just the two of us and I have that covered. I don’t have any insurance, pension or government benefits but there will be more than enough left over for her when I am gone. We haven’t all followed the same path through life or ended up with the same concerns and responsibilities in our old age.

Until recently I was a mtb advocate but I slowly started spending more time on the road as I linked dirt trails together, since I hate retracing my steps and prefer a circular route. The mtb seemed less than efficient on roads so thought I would try a road bike and when I did I was bitten by the road bug. Maybe it is just new but I like the feel and the comfort of gliding along paved roads and all the tech stuff that came with the bike. The mtb started off as a way to get somewhere to take pictures and see the countryside. Now the ride has grown to be more important, perhaps because there really aren't any new places to take photos within riding distance. I have so many photos on Google+ already and I don't want to endlessly repeat myself.

I don't fancy putting my bike on the back of the car to get to the start of my ride - and I find off-road stuff too much like hard work;I don't particularly enjoy the few km I've done. I prefer getting out and about around the suburbs as far as I can starting from home. I'm thinking of compromising and buying a carrier for the car, though, because I'm struggling to find pleasant new roads easily reachable from home.

I thought about cycling to Kelana Jaya Stadium for the rugby on Saturday (Malaysia - Thailand, 5 pm kick-off) but I couldn't plan a safe route back - especially around dusk. Maybe next time...

SC

I hear you about the reluctance to pack the bike off to a start point. All group rides seem to start far from my home and I am spoiled for choice right from my front door. I just can’t bring myself to drive for an hour to a start point and then have to drive home again, all hot and sweaty after a long ride.

I hear you about the reluctance to pack the bike off to a start point. All group rides seem to start far from my home and I am spoiled for choice right from my front door. I just can’t bring myself to drive for an hour to a start point and then have to drive home again, all hot and sweaty after a long ride.

Yes, I also want to start at my door, not drive somewhere first....if possible

I normally stick the bike in the car just once or twice a year, as there aren't any hills in Bangkok, so like to head out to Khao Yai. My wife asked why do I ride up the mountain, when you can drive and just ride down, but for me if you haven't suffered the climb, you can't truly enjoy and appreciate the descent.

Problem is, the lack of hills in Bangkok means I'm also damn slow riding up!

I hear you about the reluctance to pack the bike off to a start point. All group rides seem to start far from my home and I am spoiled for choice right from my front door. I just cant bring myself to drive for an hour to a start point and then have to drive home again, all hot and sweaty after a long ride.

And half-cut from overdoing the rehydration....

Sounds like you guys just enjoy riding smile.png. Some up, some down, and some just want to smell the flowers. It depends on my mood - and what I want to get out of it - whether I decide to do a road ride from home or sling the MTB in the back of the truck for some away adventure. Or the opposite, I just enjoy it all!!!

And yeah, thanks El Jefe, I am very aware of Martyn Ashton's condition.

Martyn Ashton is a great inspiration, before and after his accident.

Or a warning.

I'm a very successful beaurocrat, and if I was disabled in a bizarre office accident, I'd still struggle on in the only career that I had. I'm not sure whether that would encourage people to work in offices or not, or whether it would encourage them to keep their paperwork tidy at home.

SC

Albeit maybe I struggle with spelling sometimes

So I tried to post a video of my last attempt around the Club 11 track, but didn't know why the you tube link didn't work smile.png

Finally read the article on how to embed youtube videos so here you go, bit late in the post, but never mind

I would say a cyclo cross type bike would have no problem on that track. Its nice to be on the drops speeding along a dirt track.

Funny you say that, I'll be picking up that Giant TCX SLR2 end of the month, I'll be keeping all the others too of course ;-) only problem is the Doc said it will be at least a month before I can ride again, in fact I've been a very naughty boy by not staying at home and resting apparently, so he signed me off work for 7 days and told me to stay home and not move unless I really have to :(

I would say a cyclo cross type bike would have no problem on that track. Its nice to be on the drops speeding along a dirt track.

Funny you say that, I'll be picking up that Giant TCX SLR2 end of the month, I'll be keeping all the others too of course ;-) only problem is the Doc said it will be at least a month before I can ride again, in fact I've been a very naughty boy by not staying at home and resting apparently, so he signed me off work for 7 days and told me to stay home and not move unless I really have to sad.png

I, and that is NOT an advice, wouldn't care what the doc says and do what my feeling tells me that I can do....Of course with safety margin....

Funny you say that, I'll be picking up that Giant TCX SLR2 end of the month, I'll be keeping all the others too of course ;-) only problem is the Doc said it will be at least a month before I can ride again, in fact I've been a very naughty boy by not staying at home and resting apparently, so he signed me off work for 7 days and told me to stay home and not move unless I really have to sad.png

I, and that is NOT an advice, wouldn't care what the doc says and do what my feeling tells me that I can do....Of course with safety margin....

Me too, unfortunately this time wasn't the time to behave so, if the damage to my thigh continues to create large hematoma, seems MRI scan and possible surgery is in order to stop it bleeding internally. At least the blood isn't infected, which apparently can happen often here!

Me too, unfortunately this time wasn't the time to behave so, if the damage to my thigh continues to create large hematoma, seems MRI scan and possible surgery is in order to stop it bleeding internally. At least the blood isn't infected, which apparently can happen often here!

That doesn't sound good.......yes......follow the doc......I thought of the usual damaged joints, bones, etc....internal bleeding is something different......

Thought I might share a couple of road shots from today. The temperature dropped from 40 on my last ride down to a tolerable 34-35 today. Absolutely beautiful day to be out on the bike and I put in a respectable 73 km. I couldn't resist taking out the iPhone a snapping a few photos. I hope you don't mind.

Road%252520%252520002.jpg

Road%252520%252520001%252520%2525281%252

Road%252520%252520003.jpg

Peter Sagan - as we know - can ride a bike:

Where to find nice smooth trails like that near Chiang Mai?

Plenty of them up in Mae Taeng and even some good ones around Mae Rim! Check out Pony Canyon some day as it is smooth with varied terrain, but there are sections where you can really cruise and even get some air if you know where the rocks are. We still have to get TigerBeer up there for a ride.

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/Thailand/Mae-Taeng-Chiang-Mai/Pony-Canyon-Leopard-Crossing/details.aspx (Download track, not route.)

Peter Sagan - as we know - can ride a bike:

Where to find nice smooth trails like that near Chiang Mai?

Plenty of them up in Mae Taeng and even some good ones around Mae Rim! Check out Pony Canyon some day as it is smooth with varied terrain, but there are sections where you can really cruise and even get some air if you know where the rocks are. We still have to get TigerBeer up there for a ride.

That ain't ever gonna happen wink.png

Archived