Time to ditch the road?

moonoi

One kind of bike i come back to all the time is my old Specialized Tricross. A 700c cyclo cross/ road bike/ tourer/ off roader. A sort of do it all bike which rides really smooth on the roads and can do all most everything a mountain bike can. The relevance to this thread is you can ride out of town on the road but head off down the first dirt track you see. You can leave rhe roads behind. A great bike to explore on.

I was looking at a Giant TCX for that reason, but I don't think even CX bike could tackle Club 11s single track for example.

The missus is being firm, I've convinced her it's not worth me selling my road bike so I'm probably going to buy some rollers and just use the road bike indoors, so I can switch between the turbo and rollers and not get too bored I hope. And I've seen a nice Giant Reign X frame at a good price, so thinking to pick that up and build it up myself as a project while I recover from my accident and then go practice at Club 11 and Peppermint. I heard there is some good tracks out by U Tapao (not sure of spelling) base as well, maybe I need to find some MTB club to ride with sometimes as well.

I can't not ride, but want to keep the missus happy as well, and seems I might get another bike out of it as well ;-) maybe if I'm more serious with MTB as well, it might be more fun this time?

So changing topic slightly, would you buy the frame and build it up, or go fully built and why?

For me that indoor thing is terrible boring.....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@H90 Have you tried using Sufferfest linked to TrainerRoad yet? Or even Zwift? Both make indoor training quite a bit more interesting :-)

No, just tried to watch movie.....but I am not a lover of movies or TV.

Trying to read a book....if work hard it is difficult to read and understand what you read

Listen to music

Tried to put a pillow on the tri bar and sleep while exercise crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

All not working that good.

I know these new systems where you ride against others might improve things, but still it is like masturbate / real sex.....

So changing topic slightly, would you buy the frame and build it up, or go fully built and why?

Buy the frame and build it yourself, because you will gain knowledge that you will eventually need for frequent adjustments and trailside repairs, which are part and parcel of full-sus trail riding. Just choosing components is an education in itself.

Buy the frame and build it yourself, because you will gain knowledge that you will eventually need for frequent adjustments and trailside repairs, which are part and parcel of full-sus trail riding. Just choosing components is an education in itself.

Specially on cheaper bikes, the frame might be good and some of the key parts but all the other components are complete crap. On my Trek bike I have to exchange almost everything that has Bontrager written on it.

Wheels: bearings not perfect, one tire immediately flat, one get cracks after 400 km only

Rust on the screws everywhere after 400 km

Using quality components from the beginning saves money in the long range.

I have never had a full suspension MTB and i would only consider one if i had the terrain to ride it on. Buying a frame and building the bike up is good way to learn about bikes and maintenance but it depends on how busy you are. How much free time you have?

Last June i decided to buy a Surly Ogre 29er MTB/ Tourer. It can fit a 29 x3.00 up front and a 2.5 at the back. First no complete bikes in stock anywhere. It was June and the importer said next shipment March 2015. I wasnt waiting that long! I bought the last 18" frameset in Thailand. I was thinking rabbit hole rims or other wide rims and and going with fat tyres 2.5 , 2.4 or Schwalbe Big Apple 2.3 tyres. Basically is was a slow compromised build because of availability of 29er parts. No wide tyres. No wide rims, no rabbit hole rims. I have some nice Kinlin rims on it but only with an internal width of 21mm. I wasn't going to order from abroad and pay all the taxes. I visited many many bike shops all over BKK and Chiang Mai to get all the parts.

Question is how easy is it build up a full sus bike in Thailand. Will you be able to get the bits you want or will you have to make do with whats in the country? Have you got the time? My Ogre has turned out nice but its got 29x2.00 Schwalbe Big Apples (no 2.3's in Thailand) and they are the narrowest 2.0 tyres i have ever seen. Trying to get a genuine non fake half decent headset was a pain. Avid BB7's from the official importer! I gave up, the bike has Deore hydraulics.

Specially on cheaper bikes, the frame might be good and some of the key parts but all the other components are complete crap. On my Trek bike I have to exchange almost everything that has Bontrager written on it.

Wheels: bearings not perfect, one tire immediately flat, one get cracks after 400 km only

It's interesting, because my experience withy Bontrager finishing kits on a Trek Madone 3.1 (also bought from your favourite shop) is quite the opposite. Robust, decent quality, but perhaps not the lightest out there.

"I have to exchange everything that has Bontrager written on it". That made me laugh . Funny but true.

It's interesting, because my experience withy Bontrager finishing kits on a Trek Madone 3.1 (also bought from your favourite shop) is quite the opposite. Robust, decent quality, but perhaps not the lightest out there.

I think there are some decent Bontrager components out there but Trek does like to stick the Bontrager logo on almost anything which is not good for the Bontrager brand in the long run.

I was looking at a Giant TCX for that reason, but I don't think even CX bike could tackle Club 11s single track for example.

The Giant Reign is a super nice enduro bike I once considered buying, but 160mm travel is definitely overkill for Club 11. With a 65 deg head angle, short stack, high BB the geometry is gravity-oriented which implies some compromises in pedalling efficiency. It's half way to a full DH bike and if you are used to riding a road bike, it might feel slow and sluggish.

Most road riders would probably find it easier to to adapt their riding style to a lighter XC frame featuring a steeper head angle, higher seat and lower bar. Also, I can't think of any terrain in and around Bangkok that could not be tackled with an XC bike, even with a hardtail.

Building up the bike yourself should be fun and educational, but acquiring parts in Thailand can be time-consuming and frustrating. I'd love to do it myself, but I don't have a lot of free time and I prefer to spend it riding, so I'd just get a fully built bike.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Great Bike, but probably overkill. I wouldn't let that deter me though biggrin.pngbiggrin.png , and a buildup is always more rewarding, just not in a monetary sensesmile.png

I built up my Ti hardtail and love it.

Having said that, I've just ordered a Canyon Strive online. Can't go past the value!!!!!

Rust on the screws and washer that never saw any water, is something that shouldn't happen. But it might be just bad luck. Or I am oversensitive for a relative cheap bike.

The Giant Reign is a super nice enduro bike I once considered buying, but 160mm travel is definitely overkill for Club 11. With a 65 deg head angle, short stack, high BB the geometry is gravity-oriented which implies some compromises in pedalling efficiency. It's half way to a full DH bike and if you are used to riding a road bike, it might feel slow and sluggish.

Most road riders would probably find it easier to to adapt their riding style to a lighter XC frame featuring a steeper head angle, higher seat and lower bar. Also, I can't think of any terrain in and around Bangkok that could not be tackled with an XC bike, even with a hardtail.

Building up the bike yourself should be fun and educational, but acquiring parts in Thailand can be time-consuming and frustrating. I'd love to do it myself, but I don't have a lot of free time and I prefer to spend it riding, so I'd just get a fully built bike.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I had an XC HT bike (still got the frame and wheels actually), switched it out for the current All Mountajn HT I have, it is better, but still I don't like it very much. So I plan to sell it, get the Reign X frame and build it up. Maybe overkill for what is local to me, but I'm hoping it will be more "fun" to ride and then I'll be more happy to go exploring terrain it is more suited for. Just thinking building it myself probably adds to the satisfaction as well. Hopefully they don't sell it before I get the chance to pop back to the store on Sat ;)

btw anyone I interested in a Merida 21" Big Nine Lite frame and wheels (no fork), or a Commencal Meta AM Size L built up with SRAM X0, Magura MT4 brakes and RaceFace Atlas stem and bars.....drop me a PM ;)

Different strokes...different folks. Don't give up the the road riding. For me it is so much better than DH. Just find safer places to ride. They are available, even in Bangkok. I just wish the roads were safer in Thailand so I could ride mountains, but all the mountain roads are so dangerous due to trucks, buses and vans I would never think of trying them.

I was riding 80k 5 days a week. Starting off around 3.30am to 4. Saw too many accidents dead and injured people. Drunk drivers all over. Leaving clubs and no police anywhere. Not in Bangkok but leaving a northern city and back. My wife and neighbours said it was too dangerously and it was. I now leave later and only ride about 30k... but I will not give up riding. Off road is fun but not in the wet season. At least you can get a lift back when on road if you have a problem.. Good luck

Ride my MTB every day in Hua Hin but nearly got wiped out last month on soi 112 by a pick-up truck. You know the type...stupid exhaust pipe etc etc. Haven't been on that road again and usually stick to the beaches now. Just not work the risk.

Trying to read a book....if work hard it is difficult to read and understand what you read

Listen to music

That's why God invented Audio Books.

Also, I have taken to listening to Lectures on Tape from TTC and TMS (both widely available by searching the torrents). There is some fascinating topic material out there, and I have whiled away many hours in airports, trains and taxis learning something new...

Listen to music

That's why God invented Audio Books.

Also, I have taken to listening to Lectures on Tape from TTC and TMS (both widely available by searching the torrents). There is some fascinating topic material out there, and I have whiled away many hours in airports, trains and taxis learning something new...

I didn't know it was God who invented the Audio Books laugh.png

Normally I am too impatient for audio books, but never tried them on the bike.....

Like many things in life, riding a bike anywhere is a lottery - though the odds are stacked more comprehensively against you in Thailand, as you are at the bottom of the food chain and at the mercy of all kinds of predators, ranging from bus and lorry drivers on speed to new car drivers and bikers who have nevere had a lesson in their life.

Follow your heart. I'd rather die in the saddle than in my bed. And don't bother asking your missus what she or the family thinks. You already know.And as for wearing one of those safety helmets that looks like a hospital bedpan. Well. . .

That is fun? C'mon, that guy missed the whole trip. Why? Because he travels way too fast. Overall I'd guess he really never saw anything on that ride. Butterflies, insects,etc. didn't exist to him. What would he do were a python crossing the trail? Bet he never imagined that could happen. Could be worse than knicking a fender in the city. Bicycles used for a faster than walking tour in the countryside is what makes sense. Get connected with nature fellow, then you can actually get something out of a

bicycle ride, and without fear. Try it sometime, it'll do you good.

I like to go for a spin on my old bicycle into Jomtien from Bang Saray when I feel like a bit of exercise, exhilarating and nice seeing close up all that's going on around me and the odd "Hello" to those who give me a smile on my way....but I'm at a loss trying to understand what is being discussed here...terms like "TMD" and "full sus" and...... Commencal Meta AM v4...... seems very complicated....sounding a bit like Formula 1 ......would that be possibly why your missing the fun in it....."keep it simple" has always sounded good to me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is fun? C'mon, that guy missed the whole trip. Why? Because he travels way too fast. Overall I'd guess he really never saw anything on that ride. Butterflies, insects,etc. didn't exist to him. What would he do were a python crossing the trail? Bet he never imagined that could happen. Could be worse than knicking a fender in the city. Bicycles used for a faster than walking tour in the countryside is what makes sense. Get connected with nature fellow, then you can actually get something out of a

I like to go for a spin on my old bicycle into Jomtien from Bang Saray when I feel like a bit of exercise, exhilarating and nice seeing close up all that's going on around me and the odd "Hello" to those who give me a smile on my way....but I'm at a loss trying to understand what is being discussed here...terms like "TMD" and "full sus" and...... Commencal Meta AM v4...... seems very complicated....sounding a bit like Formula 1 ......would that be possibly why your missing the fun in it....."keep it simple" has always sounded good to me.

Diff'rent strokes folks. Enjoy your ride too! thumbsup.gif

Martyn Ashton's 'Roadbike Party' series shows what is possible.

Actually, that shows what you should never try on a road bike.

You do know that Martyn Ashton is now a paraplegic, don't you?

I heard the same about motorcycles. I started riding when I was a kid and then I came here. My last bike in America was a Ultra Classic Electra Glide and now I ride a Honda Forza, what a change that is and I have to wear a helmet here. I still get to ride so that is what's most important to me.

I will say riding here takes it to a different level though. Stay safe!!!

when I sit on the bike I don't see much......I only closely monitor the street ahead of me and my mind isn't in a stage to get much inside.

Saw wild pigs on the street.

Saw twice a snake, one I could avoid, the other I unfortunately went over the last third of it, Hope it will survive that.....

People sure have strong opinions about what other people should be doing or not doing. When it comes to riding my bike, I have three main considerations. Where I ride, when I ride and how I ride.

The where is easy for me because I have great country roads with rolling hills to ride on but I still pick and choose. I have roads where I can go for 10 or 15 km and encounter less than a dozen vehicles and none of them traveling at speed. I am often able to practice riding with no hands to judge my balance and comfort on the bike on these empty stretches of road. Moving from the mtb to the road bike with the narrower tires I found I was not as stable or comfortable at first when checking my balance with no hands but now I am completely at home on the road bike.
Most riders I see prefer early morning or late afternoon but my “when” is always midday. I leave at ten or eleven and return by two or three. There is less traffic on the road that time of day. Sure it is hot but you always have a breeze if you keep moving and you can always stop on the roadside and buy some more cold water.
How I ride is determined by my desire to continue riding, accident free. I ride alone so there is no one to showoff for. I am not trying to win races or impress anyone because at 60 I have nothing left to prove to anyone but myself. If I were a bulletproof twenty year old I might look at things differently. I ride a distance and speed which makes me feel good and releases those intoxicating endorphins.
My wife worries about me, and that is a good thing, but she trusts me to be smart and not take unreasonable risks. I say continue riding the road bike if that is what you enjoy but be a little more safety conscious when deciding when and where to ride and reassure your family that you are being careful.

Archived