Thai editorial: Let's truly foster quality social media

webfact

EDITORIAL
Let's truly foster quality social media

The Nation

The "anything goes" era is passing

BANGKOK: -- The "lines" are often blurry on social media sites. Is it "private" or "public"? Is it "friend" or "fan"? Is it sincere admiration or jealousy in disguise? We can rarely tell. Even if we can clearly tell, others probably can't.

With the use of social media channels like Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram passing an exponential point, controversies will be more abundant. In one of the latest cases involving Thailand, a Thai Facebook user triggered an uproar by insulting Filipinos on his "wall" after posting racist comments.

Whether it's a personal comment or not, one thing should be clear to all social media users: Nothing can really be private if it's posted online. Someone somewhere can always get to your rant, your love messages, your expression of extreme hatred or your dirty jokes. Anything can go viral, and when it does, damage can be irreparable.

There have been incidents that underscore the need to use the social media wisely, responsibly and prudently. Like everything, social media has its good, bad and ugly sides. The benefits are there for all to see and are getting even more obvious.

The current campaign against the growing influence of a convenient store chain has been quite effective. Friends are sharing valuable knowledge and information in a manner unimaginable just a few years ago. Childhood friendships are not fading away like those of the older generations, but are taking a firm foothold thanks to all the tools and applications.

The bad and ugly sides can be either apparent or subtle. Many are known to associate self-esteem with the number of "likes" they receive for a post. Meanwhile, if you don't watch it, "fake friendship" can get in your way. And while there are cases of introverts being encouraged to express themselves on social media, many people have presented false personalities to create good impressions or, in the extreme, for fraudulent purposes. Depression can be rampant, too, if news feeds feature other people's exotic vacations or better day-to-day lives.

The Philippines incident shows that emotions or "judgements" can go a full circle on social media. First a Thai man used Facebook to rant about Filipinos, using strong language to say the least. Then an uproar on social media virtually crucified him, causing a wave of sympathy for someone who might not have intended his comments to go public. The latter uproar was against the initial uproar.

This seems ironic because it begs the question of how sincere we should be on social media. If we speak our minds about, say, a foreign nation and use language some would deem improper, are we exercising a freedom of speech and are others just prying? Or are we wrong no matter what, because there are things that are wrong whether they are done privately or publicly?

The issue divides opinions, just like the case of the cycling-for-health trend and road safety. But the bottom line is that the anything goes phase of social media is coming to an end.

The need to foster social media is stronger than ever before, because when something has become a big part of our lives, we have to act responsibly. When friends share tips on how to live well using day-to-day cheap methods or materials, social media is used responsibly. When false tips are spread about some foods, fruits or drinks for commercial purposes, social media has become a tool for deception with a potentially dangerous outcome.

It's time to review how we use social media. We all know we must be responsible using it, but the time to be truly responsible must have come a lot sooner than many people thought.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Lets-truly-foster-quality-social-media-30259768.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-11

The state has no proximity to our personal life's online.

It's audacious to restrict gatherings of more than five , Orwellian to arrest peaceful protest, and remove democracy.

This power base has no mandate is not elected and should return the country to the people.

Closing TV stations , threatening journalists with execution , and now mulling over the social media options of further isolating Thailand is a grim scene.

It's painting up the rationale to go out on the town and solicit yet more tricks to take away dignity of its citizens by excuse to control.

Any social media witch hunts or blocking of sites i will only cause Thailand to be placed in the North Korean basket.

It's deplorable and extremely unjust to further restrict any freedoms online such as Facebook or twitter

Edited by Plutojames88

I don't think anyone should complain about the Junta or The new constitution. They've done a great deal of good for this country and if they feel that they need to read my posts and Emails , then thats just fine with me

Edited by ExPratt

Part of the issue, which has been totally ignored here, is peoples attitude to criticism and the prevalence of 'face' in asian cultures. I believe freedom of speech to be a good thing but ppl do need to learn that they can just ignore things they don't agree with or find offensive.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whats all the fuss,It's for posting videos of cats isn't it?

Don't forget all the boring meals that other people are eating. There's even a web site for the meals AFTER they've left the body: http://ratemypoo.com/

Any time you open up a forum to the public, you have to realize that it will usually cater to the lowest common denominator.

I have to say that TV does a pretty good job of self-monitoring. People who post thoughtless and/or rude ideas are chastised by other members or, in extreme cases, the mod's take them down explaining WHY they were taken down. Some actual adults here!

As a responsible user of social media, I would like to offer my opinion about the article calling for more responsible use of social media.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzphhhhhhhhtttttt! tongue.png

The author of the article will not be invited to any of my parties. What a killjoy.

The article is not about the Junta, it's about the beheaviour of people in social media; which, by and large, is a disservice to humanity.

...and these flying machines in the sky are the work of demons!

The article is not about the Junta, it's about the beheaviour of people in social media; which, by and large, is a disservice to humanity.

What does that nonsense have to do with anything?

Unless you are providing an example of one of the failings of social media, that it gives people with nothing of any value to say a platform from which to clutter the public record.

Social Media is wide open, and should stay that way. This Blog/Forum, for example, has rules governing profanity for several reasons -- facebook does not, and should not. I don't friend anyone who cannot see a PG-13 rated moview, which has the same casual swearing most adults use every day.

This is not to say that formal writing should incorporate swear words, or that making false accusations should ever be supported, but some people and events are much worse than any swear words that any of us know.

Then given the stuff that their leader has to say should not interfere.....his bloopers are widely known...or maybe that's what they want curtailed ?

DON'T ARGUE

May 26, 2014 In his first official speech following the coup, Prayuth said: "I'm not here to argue with anyone. I want to bring everything out in the open and fix it... Everyone must help me. (But) do not criticize, do not create new problems. It's no use."

___

ON BIKINIS

Sept. 17, 2014 After two British tourists were murdered on the Thai island of Koh Tao, Prayuth triggered an uproar by insinuating that foreign visitors attractive ones, at least were endangering themselves by dressing skimpily. "I'm asking if they wear bikinis in Thailand, will they be safe? Only if they are not beautiful."

___

FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

Sept. 23, 2014 Speaking after the junta forced the cancellation of a university seminar on the demise of foreign dictatorships, Prayuth was asked whether the junta would open a channel for critics to express their views. "I'm opening one right now. You're yapping right now. I never stopped you, did I?"

___

PODIUM SMACK

Sept. 24, 2014 After a reporter jokingly asked if he would only ever seek the premiership through a coup, Prayuth shot back by threatening, in jest: "I'll smack you" with the podium.

___

MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES

Nov. 3, 2014 "I'm well aware that I have a short temper," Prayuth told the press. "Today I've calmed down a lot.... I have to thank you for the warnings and suggestions. And I won't change my personality, because I already have several personalities."

___

EAR MASSAGE

Nov. 20, 2014 A video posted on Facebook by a Bangkok Post reporter in the northeastern city of Khon Kaen showed Prayuth patting the baseball cap-clad head of a cameraman in front of him. He then began nonchalantly tugging and twisting the man's ear as he fielded questions. A government spokesman later said the gesture was good-natured teasing.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story

___

THE BANANA PEEL

Dec. 24, 2014 When journalists kept asking Prayuth to face the camera during a public event they were covering, the junta leader took the peel of a banana he was eating and hurled it at one of their heads. The act drew surprised laughter from officials and the press.

___

DON'T ASK DUMB QUESTIONS

Feb. 3, 2015 After two homemade bombs exploded outside a luxury shopping mall in Bangkok, slightly injuring one person, Prayuth was asked if the perpetrators were trying to discredit the government. "Everybody knows that," he snapped. "Otherwise they would have exploded the bombs in the jungle. Why the hell are you asking this?"

___

NOODLES AND BIG BROTHER

Feb. 12, 2015 Asked about security forces the junta has deployed to control ousted Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's movements, Prayuth said: "If she wants to go to eat some noodles, or go anywhere, then she can go. But when they don't allow her to go, then she cannot eat."

___

ON POWER

Feb. 19, 2015 "It all falls on me because I'm the prime minister. Let's say I exercise every power (I have), do you want that? Do you want me to shut down the media? If my powers were that vast, I could just have people executed if they do something wrong, but I haven't done anything like that."

___

PUNCH IN THE FACE

March 6, 2015 "The other day I was asked by a reporter what kind of job the government has done. I almost punched that person in the face. (We've) done so much. Can't you see?"

___

BIRTHDAY PLANS

March 16, 2015 "I'm staying home. In the barracks," he said, a few days before turning 61 on March 21. "Do not bother me. I was born alone."

___

PHILOSOPHY ON GARDENING

March 19, 2015 When the Supreme Court indicted Yingluck on charges of neglect for a money-losing rice subsidy program, Prayuth took questions from reporters, then paused shortly after to pluck gardenias from a pot outside his office. "Some withering flowers have to be discarded," he said pensively. "These plants, we have to take care of them every day. This flower is old. Don't pay attention to it."

Edited by Plutojames88

What does that nonsense have to do with anything?

Unless you are providing an example of one of the failings of social media, that it gives people with nothing of any value to say a platform from which to clutter the public record.

Okay..."ill bite: explain please why "by and large" social media is a "disservice to humanity"?

The article is not about the Junta, it's about the behavior of people in social media; which, by and large, is a disservice to humanity.

Yes understand that it is about other people's reactions to your posts and the trouble you could possibly get yourself into if the post you made went further than the intended audience.

The article is not about the Junta, it's about the behavior of people in social media; which, by and large, is a disservice to humanity.

Yes understand that it is about other people's reactions to your posts and the trouble you could possibly get yourself into if the post you made went further than the intended audience.

Oh that's too bad

I was just tuning in

post-219560-0-46937400-1431328500_thumb.

Edited by Plutojames88

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh that's too bad

I was just tuning in

Just as well as I wasn't referring to you, Whats that supposed to mean anyway ?