MOPH: Consumption of boiled bamboo shoot might cause fatal complications

webfact

MOPH: Consumption of boiled bamboo shoot might cause fatal complications

bb.jpg

NONTHABURI, 11 May 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) has warned the public against the consumption of contaminated boiled bamboo shoot that are packaged in plastic bags or buckles, warning that consumption may lead to fatal health complications.

MOPH Minister Rajata Rajatanavin has advised the public to re-boil bagged or buckled boiled bamboo shoots prior to consumption for 15 minutes, in order to get rid of Clostridium botulinum bacteria. The Clostridium botulinum bacteria is the main cause of the Botulism disease.

The Botulism disease can cause complications such as weakness, dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, diarrhoea or constipation, muscle paralysis, and can even lead severe health conditions such as cardiac arrest.

The Director-General of the Department of Disease Control (DDC) Sopon Mekthon has elaborated that there are four strains of Clostridium botulinum bacteria, namely the highly poisonous Type A that causes 60-70 percent of deaths, the heat resistant Type B that can live in foods longer than other types and causes about 25 percent of deaths, and the Type E and F that is commonly found in seafood.

He has said that these toxins can be easily destroyed after boiling the food for 15 minutes. However, boiled bamboo shoots with unusual package, color, or smell, should not be consumed, and advises the public to get rid of it by burying it.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-11 footer_n.gif

This is tremendous Thai news. That the MOPH has just discovered this problem and made Thai folks aware of the danger of one of their popular foods.

This is tremendous news only for the foreigners who read it. Do you actually think the small shops that use it in their cooking will take the extra time to ensure the shoots are boiled long enough? I know I will be refraining from ordering and eating foods that include shoots now.

botulism is not unique to bamboo shoots but can be found in most any food. Never eat anything from a can that has swelled up and 'buckled' (I'm assuming that's what they are referring to since they pictured canned shoots; considering the possible danger, the article was very unclear.). Bagged, recently boiled bamboo shoots, like any other cooked but not pressure-canned food item, should always be eaten in a timely manner. I wonder why they decided to pick on bamboo shoots. There's a curry I love that is made with bamboo shoots and chicken and is served with khanom jeen rice vermicelli.

Notice: I reread the article and maybe they are misspelling 'bucket' as in plastic storage pail for bulk shoots which would be similar to storage in plastic bags; but then they show stock photos of canned bamboo shoots. Considering the potential danger, this is a horribly written article and worse than useless. I wonder how many readers buy "bagged or buckled boiled bamboo shoots"? What are "buckeled boiled bamboo shoots"?

In any other ' normal ' country, that product will be off the shelves long time a go, not here, why? this

is a question for the ages, to join many other 'whys' in this country with no plausible answers...

In any other ' normal ' country, that product will be off the shelves long time a go, not here, why? this

is a question for the ages, to join many other 'whys' in this country with no plausible answers...

that product will be off the shelves long time a go, not here, why?

The guys at the MOPH were probably too busy with wiki and googling the symptoms.

Uh oh - the plague in England in the 17th century - "Bring out your dead" springs to mind! whistling.gif I am cursed with this lateral humour sometimes.

(My apology if I got the dates wrong - I remember from High school).

botulism is not unique to bamboo shoots but can be found in most any food. Never eat anything from a can that has swelled up and 'buckled' (I'm assuming that's what they are referring to since they pictured canned shoots; considering the possible danger, the article was very unclear.). Bagged, recently boiled bamboo shoots, like any other cooked but not pressure-canned food item, should always be eaten in a timely manner. I wonder why they decided to pick on bamboo shoots. There's a curry I love that is made with bamboo shoots and chicken and is served with khanom jeen rice vermicelli.

Notice: I reread the article and maybe they are misspelling 'bucket' as in plastic storage pail for bulk shoots which would be similar to storage in plastic bags; but then they show stock photos of canned bamboo shoots. Considering the potential danger, this is a horribly written article and worse than useless. I wonder how many readers buy "bagged or buckled boiled bamboo shoots"? What are "buckeled boiled bamboo shoots"?

Agree terrible article.

Clostridium botulinum is an obligate anaerobe - will not grow in the presence of oxygen.

The spores are very common and found in soil etc- so canned bamboo could be a problem if not processed to s high enough temperature.

If the cans are cooled in contaminated water and are not to a high standard ( ie have microscopic holes in them) spores can be drawn into them.

Never ever touch anything from a swollen can - the botulinum toxin is one of the most deadly substances known to man- stops you breathing - not good news.

But it destroyed by boiling.

You are not to suffer from botulism from most foods bought in the market- it's quite rare- but deadly .

If its only the bagged of buckled shoots that's dangerous, why do they show pictures of the canned variety?

Are the canned shoots unsafe also?blink.png

I'm assuming this article was translated from a Thai version and something was lost in the translation.

Yes, the article could have been better worded.

I learned that from my mom before I was old enough to wield a can opener. Yeah, when you open the can and the contents spray all over the room, it a sign to not consume.

I would have thought they would ban certain forms of packaging...

That is exactly what good governments do. They make new regulations to prevent these types of things. Thailand would rather take the cheap way out and just issue a warning. No surprises there.

First time I have heard about bamboo shoots in tins. My wife likes to pick her own fresh out the ground but then we live where such things are available. Go for a bike ride and she stops to pick allsorts of green leaves, no idea what they are , sometimes she says " no need for leaves but you need a good stalk " I quite agree the leaves have fallen but the stalk remains firm. a good stalk ''''''''''''''''''' sorry just back from the pub. So about earthquakes..............

This time of year a lot of things can be dodgy.

I am just getting over a bout and I am sure it had nothing to do with bamboo shoots............

I have them frequently in chicken and bamboo soup, or stuffed with pork, dipped in tempura batter and deep fried.