Cycling licence considered as long-term measure: Bangkok Administration

webfact

She said the BMA management had met and drawn up additional measures to promote tourism, for instance introducing more bike lanes, and putting up signs and street lights in the capital.

As Thailand would probably be the only country to have Bike Licences how the hell can a tourist ride a bike legally.

Maybe better that all politicians and government official should have an IQ grater than 10...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this story is very sad... it is 2015 and this is what they come up with?

a "solution" of no value what so ever.

and they broadcast this idea out to the world?

it is pathetic really and very disillusioning...

Democrats are the best they can come up with.

I simply don't believe it. Blaming the cyclists for being hit by a drunk driver falling asleep? How would a license help in this situation?

While we are at the topic, what about restricting the age of motorcycle drivers first, maybe requiring a driving license would be nice too.

You have to look at it from a politicians side it makes it look like they are really doing something. Like your last comment half are underage and have no license. I wonder how much tea money they have paid over the years. Why enforce the law when its a cash cow.

She said the BMA management had met and drawn up additional measures to promote tourism, for instance introducing more bike lanes, and putting up signs and street lights in the capital.

As Thailand would probably be the only country to have Bike Licences how the hell can a tourist ride a bike legally.

Maybe better that all politicians and government official should have an IQ grater than 10...

What is an IQ grater? Does it shred IQ?

I'm an MTB peddler and ride often and I do obey traffic rules.

However...most car & motorbike drivers don't.

The traffic laws here are OK I guess but they're never enforced

unless you're a farang & a traffic cop is low on play money...or

any cop for that matter.

This license scheme is the most asinine suggestion I have ever

heard of from any Thai "official" and I have heard plenty.

Asinine;

adjective

Extremely stupid or foolish.

Example..."Tridoa Apaiwong's asinine remark regarding bicycle licenses"

Synonyms: stupid, foolish, brainless, mindless, senseless, idiotic,

imbecilic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, nonsensical, fatuous, silly,

inane, witless, empty-headed.

One ass in nine? You must have been up all night counting them! Did you include those still doing their apprenticeships?

I left out the apprentices on purpose as they're not yet full fledged asses yet,

plus I was running short of figuring stuff out paper...same-same as bog paper

but different...thumbsup.gif

Why have a license at all, no matter what they are driving/riding the don't know/don't care about safety and road rules /traffic signs,and to top this of there is no policing of any of this,Who T. F.Cares?

"She said the BMA management had met and drawn up additional measures to promote tourism, for instance introducing more bike lanes," clap2.gif

I thought this "mecca" of bike lanes was already built at Suvarnabhumi. I mean, who doesn't pack up their bicycle, fly to Bangkok to ride around the airport in 35 C heat, with 125 dB aircraft whizzing over your head. Sounds like a hell of a place to "get away from it all"!!!!!! Not one person has ever asked me about the beaches, the food, the ladies - they have ALL asked me "so, how are the bike lanes?".

Edited by fritzzz25

I can't read any more.... congratulations BMA.... you've just plumbed the depths of utter stupidity. The day they try to enforce bicycle licenses is the day I leave this circus . Why not require a "thinking license" for public servants... Which ever genius who came up with that one surely must be promoted to head the Ministry of Silly Thoughts. Brilliant!

Hey anything that prevents drunken drivers from killing me gets my vote, what an excellent idea, I'm surprised nobody has thought of it before.

.... your vote.... quaff...since when did voting mean anything? To really be safe you should just stay at home all the time.... much safer at home.

I can think of some other helpful licenses to "keep us safe"....

Drinking license

Walking license (ever tried to navigate a footpath scattered with blissful shoppers wandering all over the place and stopping right in the middle of the path...I'd rather take my chances and walk on the road)

Speaking license (remember: a closed mouth gathers no foot)

Breeding license (that might help, as stupidity seems to be genetic curse)

Hey anything that prevents drunken drivers from killing me gets my vote, what an excellent idea, I'm surprised nobody has thought of it before.

.... your vote.... quaff...since when did voting mean anything? To really be safe you should just stay at home all the time.... much safer at home.

I can think of some other helpful licenses to "keep us safe"....

Drinking license

Walking license (ever tried to navigate a footpath scattered with blissful shoppers wandering all over the place and stopping right in the middle of the path...I'd rather take my chances and walk on the road)

Speaking license (remember: a closed mouth gathers no foot)

Breeding license (that might help, as stupidity seems to be genetic curse)

I think you've gone a little over the top with the 'drinking license, but your other ideas are worth pondering.

You really couldn't make this bullenscheisse up, even if you tried really, really hard!

How will having a "cycling license" change anything?

Having a driving license (that many got for a few hundred baht under the table) for a car or a motorcycle never even limits road- carnage...but a cycling license will do!

Cyclists -apart from pedestrians- are the weakest in traffic...make THEM responsible!

Not the ones, who are getting behind the wheel, often with no clue of what they are doing. no experience, no test, no license...let them speed, let them drive drunk...who gives two hot sh1ts about it?

But a dude on a bicycle...that's the one, you really want to hit hard (no pun intended!)!

Clowns, the lot of them!

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at the brainstorming session....

This is a good idea...The roads are for motorized vehicles ..We need more taxes

fees and regulation of bicycles. Bicycles should be banned from the roads for their own safety.

Sure I think its fine that children ride bikes around the neighborhood. But most people

when they get older put the the bike away.

Who the H made you a the guardian of my rights. I am 77 and ride my bike every day and have for five years here. What a laugh most people when they get older put the bike away. Get real puppy we live longer today and are more fit. Go find another cause to champion we do not need you to be our Knight in Shinning Armour.

that's Forrest Gump I assume?

I am a cyclist, on first hearing this I thought what a load of lunacy.

However on reflection consider that:

• Cyclists are not required to follow any road rules
  • Cyclists ride abreast of each other, blocking lanes and making driving difficult
  • Cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road and force oncoming cyclists to ride around them,veering into the traffic and their blindside, and have to look back to ensure they are not riding into traffic.(the cyclist who is driving into the traffic and can see ahead, stays on the inside lane - Lunacy)
  • Cyclists include those poor trades who cycle with attached carts and don't seem to care a fig for anything happening around them

Sure there needs to be better driving standards, but cyclists also have a responsibility to participate in an agreed system.

If you are a cyclist you don't sound all that skilled...What's this total aversion to any type of risk, mommy's boy mentality?...You need to harden up a bit...

• Cyclists are not required to follow any road rules (at their own risk...where's the problem? road rules as applied to a car would make cycling more dangerous not less. A bike handles completely different from a car and cannot be treated as such.)
  • Cyclists ride abreast of each other, blocking lanes and making driving difficult (really? all the time? again...at their own risk...so what?)
  • Cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road and force oncoming cyclists to ride around them,veering into the traffic and their blindside, and have to look back to ensure they are not riding into traffic.(the cyclist who is driving into the traffic and can see ahead, stays on the inside lane - Lunacy) (really, it's an epidemic then?...what about "rot ken" and motocy?)
  • Cyclists include those poor trades who cycle with attached carts and don't seem to care a fig for anything happening around them (subjective...proof?)

If you're scared of the sharks, get out of the water.

You really couldn't make this bullenscheisse up, even if you tried really, really hard!

How will having a "cycling license" change anything?

Having a driving license (that many got for a few hundred baht under the table) for a car or a motorcycle never even limits road- carnage...but a cycling license will do!

Cyclists -apart from pedestrians- are the weakest in traffic...make THEM responsible!

Not the ones, who are getting behind the wheel, often with no clue of what they are doing. no experience, no test, no license...let them speed, let them drive drunk...who gives two hot sh1ts about it?

But a dude on a bicycle...that's the one, you really want to hit hard (no pun intended!)!

Clowns, the lot of them!

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at the brainstorming session....

...a WHAT-storming session???gigglem.gif

Agreed.

However, there is a large difference between the word "cyclists" and those merely riding a bicycle. Why? IMHO, because 'cyclists' as a group, tend to be more organized, traffic aware, disciplined in road rules etc. Most cycling clubs here and in other countries wear head protection and normally have reflective clothing.

The politicians need to realize that most accidents are caused by motorists not exercising enough caution when approaching cyclists and motorcyclists.

The cyclists need to obey the law re traffic movement as much as motorists. Many cyclists merely ride through a red light.

They need to enforce the existing laws re helmets, licenses, under-age drivers, and overloaded motorcycles, with 3 or more.

"However, there is a large difference between the word "cyclists" and those merely riding a bicycle. Why? IMHO, because 'cyclists' as a group, tend to be more organized, traffic aware, disciplined in road rules etc. Most cycling clubs here and in other countries wear head protection and normally have reflective clothing."

Yet these are the groups that are always involved in the reported accidents, never the lone casual cyclist. The head protection doesn't seem to be that based on the last couple of accidents. Maybe a lot of the blame actually rests with these cyclists.

This probably the most offensive post I have seen on Thai Visa. It is so digusting that I am almost lost for words .. for a change.

Cyclists don't kill: Drunken drivers do.

Cyclists don't kill" Drivers texting do

Cyclists don't kill: Drivers who don't know how to drive do

Cyclists don't kill: Drivers who fall asleep at the wheel do

Cyclists don't kill: Ignorant drivers who have no idea how to drive (as we see so many in Thailand) do

Shall I continue?

So for the edification of all concerned could Sviss Geez explain, how as a cyclist, I can protect myself from a drunk driver, almost asleep at the wheel, driving too fast?

I simply don't believe it. Blaming the cyclists for being hit by a drunk driver falling asleep? How would a license help in this situation?

While we are at the topic, what about restricting the age of motorcycle drivers first, maybe requiring a driving license would be nice too.

''what about restricting the age of motorcycle drivers first''

Yes, that would help a lot... But the safest drivers I see here are between the ages of 10 and 16.. After that, all hell breaks loose....

I've lived in several places where bicycles need to be registered and a license attached (usually just an annual sticker). But the license attaches to the bicycle, and not to each rider.

Sure, it's a money grab, but why not? We use the streets, law enforcement, emergency services, etc. We should pay our share. Getting the license also required having the serial number of the bicycle on file, and that significantly reduced the number of bicycles stolen, when they'd have to cart them out of the state to resell a stolen bike.

Frankly, I'd also love to get liability insurance for riding here in BKK, just in case I ding a Ferrari. Because, make no mistake, even if the rules don't require insurance, I worry every day that I may be blamed for a dust-up (rightly or wrongly) and find myself looking for a million baht to pay my way out.

I'm against licensing bicycle riders, but I am not opposed to buying a 100-200 baht sticker to register each of my bikes. Won't help the safety issues, but it could help recover a bike if it's stolen, and it's only fair to pay for the small chunks of road that I use.

Thailand all over, lets blame in on the cyclist they should not be there, how the <deleted> will a license change things, unless their talking about the mickey mouse license the people who drive cars in Thailand have, It amazes me how they like to throw the blame on the innocent minority

Yes, bike registration would be of benefit, when you get your application to fill out they could ask some basic safety questions and if you don't get them all right no registration! They would have to make bike number plates about half the size of car plates but that's OK.