Hi speed train CM to BKK? Yes, wait 8 years.

chingmai331

Report today, 12 May 2015, in Bangkok Post that Japan and Thailand will soon agree to a Japanese built high speed rail line between these 2 cities. Begin work 2019 and press on from there. Actual time to completer not known but dealing with local Thai landowners and such won't make it progress easily.

For me, i've ridden many chinese high speed trains, impressive to be sure. The Japanese build a good product and have lots of experience in these train lines so expect utility, speed and comfort. Won't be cheap to build or ride.

Will it be dual track?

Are they planning on overpasses at intersections? A lot of details to be released. Such as the track size.

\

Edit

I just remembered they have recently had the worlds fastest train. How fast a train do they plan on building?

Assuming it happens, it is not going to be a Shinkasen bullet train - all this talk of "high speed" is highly misleading. It will be high speed compared with the present outdated rolling stock, no doubt - but my guess is 100-150 kph, not 350 kph. And rightly so.

I've been waiting for the train to Phuket for 25 years. They used to say it was imminent when I first started coming here.

You can get a train to Trang, then bus the last bit.

Although Trang is a nice town by itself.

As an aside, there is a train to Pattaya, but few people take it. (Slowwwww and inconvenient). Not sure that a train to Phuket would see wider use. Especially now that flying is so cheap.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai