Man sentenced 5 years in foreigner rape case #Nigeria #Norway, Monk accused of child rape defrocked

geovalin

Man sentened 5 years in foreigner rape case
Tue, 12 May 2015

A Phnom Penh Municipal Court judge has sentenced a Nigerian national to five years in prison for beating and raping a Norwegian tourist.

Judge Im Vanak announced the sentence against Ekwegbalu Ugochukwu Udok, 26, on Friday, after he was convicted of posing as a taxi driver on the night of December 25 to lure the 27-year-old victim to his rental house.

According to the court, he beat, raped and held her there against her will until the next day.

“[udok] pretended to be a taxi driver, and asked her to take a ride from him,” Vanak said of the incident, which began when the victim was leaving a Daun Penh district nightclub shortly before midnight.

“He said that he would bring her to the Okay Boutique Hotel, but instead, he brought her to his rental house . . . After arriving at his room, he raped her.”

Udok said he will appeal the decision.

“I believe that the court’s verdict was unjust for me, and I cannot accept it,” Udok said outside the courtroom. “I will bring the case to the Appeal Court.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monk accused of child rape defrocked, jailed
Tue, 12 May 2015

Battambang Provincial Court yesterday charged a former monk, who was defrocked, with raping a child, and are holding him in the provincial prison until his trial.

Rattana Maisorphorn, 26, was defrocked and arrested on Saturday, after the 10-year-old victim’s parents complained to police that their daughter told them that he had sexually assaulted her, Seng Lux,
Battambang’s deputy police chief of central justice, said yesterday.

“The terrible monk admitted to the authorities that he raped the victim,” Lux said.

While studying at Thmorkol Pagoda, Maisorphorn befriended the victim’s parents, Lux said yesterday. He frequently visited and slept over at their home.

The monk committed the crime when the girl’s parents were at work, Lux said. He first sexually abused the girl on May 4, and then raped her three days later, on Thursday.

After their daughter told them about the crime, the victim’s parents reported the incidents to officials at women and children’s protection organisation Banteay Srei, who informed police in Battambang’s Sampov Loun district on Saturday, according to Lux. Police arrested Maisorphorn later that day.

In an interview yesterday, Siv Phorn, the victim’s mother, said her family is not looking for any monetary compensation. She wants the court to punish Maisorphorn because he broke the law, and rules Buddhist monks are expected to respect, she said.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national

phnom_penh_post.png