Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500

webfact

So it looks like Farangs are worth 7500 THB, I thought it would have been less,

RIP Chilean guy,travel the world and get mowed down in Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

He was not farang( white, caucasian).

Covered before in depth - "farang" means "foreigner"

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know the specifics to this accident so it's hard to make any sound judgement on the level of negligence.

I would not live in a country that threw people in jail for years because of an "accident"... it can happen to me for what ever reason... it hasn't happened to me in 50+ years of driving for a reason. I am cautious and experienced and I use common sense when driving. Many thai people do not have any sense, let alone common when it comes to driving.

I agree with with the first part of the poster above, but the second half of your reply is just wrong... yes the culture and belief make the death different, but explain the disparity between a farang being strung up and a thai person only paying 7500 baht... You can't, don't even try... its injustice and its the way they play here.

The accident is tragic indeed and I feel for their loss and the fine and makes it even harder to stomach...

than read the story before you comment on it !!

Unbelievable... Had it been a foreigner and they hit and killed a Thai the cost would have been over 20K in fines and millions in compensation... Shocking really... No jail time...

. Had this been a western country UK, Europe, U.S.) jail time as well has huge fines and additional court case for civil and criminal lieablities....

No jail time? Please read the op.

3-rd times reread this article... thinking... I hate my neighbour. And I want to get rid of him. If I invite him to my place, knock him out and cross him by my car...After that call to police and confess.Will it cost me just 7.500baht? Or I have to hire a Thai to do this? Because I'm afraid for farang it will be a little bit more expensive.Anyway it's not bad idea at all. Thanks for a tip! I really love Thailand. But this awful story...O.k., mai pen rai

Don't forget the jail time attached to your plan.

Once again the world pays witness to the fact that you can drive recklessly in Thailand, kill a person and walk away basically without penalty. I wonder if the family of the deceased will be asking for compensation.

Cast your minds back recently of the young lad who was allegedly drunk and smashed into another bike with three people on it ... one died. The young lad is being held until the ransom money (aka compensation) is paid up to the victims. Don't see that happening to a Thai, they just walk.

Seriously this country is a complete and utter joke and nothing more than a pimple on the arse of humanity.

I like your last sentence !!

regards Worgeordie

No, it does not. It means 'white person'.

Sure if you compare the penalties with other countries under similar circumstances, this penalty seems to be light.

But, if you consider the actual affects of how this will keep the driver from doing it again. I don't know if many people commenting have read more than the title of the article, but he received a 1 year sentence in prison plus the fine. Surely one year in a Thai prison will be apt punishment for a 64 year old and give him much time to regret his poor driving. But they didn't require anything to make him a better driver, such as a special driving school. And lets not forget that another party is probably just as much at fault as the driver, and that it the truck. So many of these trucks are ill-maintained and probably challenging for even the world's best drivers to drive safely.

" I don't know if many people commenting have read more than the title of the article, but he received a 1 year sentence in prison plus the fine."

Can't you read?

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

Kill somebody and get a $200 fine.

You're leaving out the 1 year jail term because that suits you better.

Use the zoom option or buy some glasses.

The man who slaughtered four 9yo school children with his pick-up truck which he was banned from driving because he is an epileptic didn't go to jail either. But he is a school director. I did hear that the families got 5000 baht though.

Ill willingly buy you a Thai bicycle for that comment

<><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><<

Thank You! I knew it was well thought out and well written, but really...a new bicycle .. i accept!

Please let me know when you are free over the weekend and i can meet you at the bike shop!

You are too kind!

See you soon !!!

Wow. Thia Visa people really are special !

you have forgotten the heinous crime of picking mushrooms!

Do you laugh or do you cry??

Mr P "We are going to get serious about the road killings"

First the spoiled brat Na Ayudhya and now this...........Third world country!! ( being polite)

Does look like there is no class justice then.. both get off free.. though I find the Na Ayudhya case worse as there were more deaths.

Don't forget the two 68 year old, innocent, male tourists walking along a Phuket sidewalk that were killed. That criminal driver got away with a 2-year suspended sentence. Then there was the underage girl who killed 9 people when she knocked a van off an elevated highway and because she WAS underage (now she is 21) she has gotten off lightly. This happens time and time again. Murders get out on bail all the time. I remember one story where a CONVICTED murderer got out on bail and killed again.

The only people that seem to go to jail are drug dealers and users and innocent people who happen to be sharing or living in the same room with the drug criminal or somehow associated with them when these dealer/users are arrested even though there is no direct evidence these people are using or dealing. Then there are poor people who are found picking mushrooms in a national park getting 10+ years in jail.

Upside down justice is all you can find in Thailand.

I don't know the specifics to this accident so it's hard to make any sound judgement on the level of negligence.

I would not live in a country that threw people in jail for years because of an "accident"... it can happen to me for what ever reason... it hasn't happened to me in 50+ years of driving for a reason. I am cautious and experienced and I use common sense when driving. Many thai people do not have any sense, let alone common when it comes to driving.

I agree with with the first part of the poster above, but the second half of your reply is just wrong... yes the culture and belief make the death different, but explain the disparity between a farang being strung up and a thai person only paying 7500 baht... You can't, don't even try... its injustice and its the way they play here.

The accident is tragic indeed and I feel for their loss and the fine and makes it even harder to stomach...

Good reply, thank you ...

Please provide an example of a Foreigner (Farang or not Farang) accidentally running over a person riding a bicycle receiving a penalty far out of proportion with this.

I know an excat match is difficult .. do you have someting reasonably close?

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?

The blacklisted part seems pretty unusual.

Was your acquaintance convicted of any crime in connection with the death?

If not, it's hard to see how or why he would have been blacklisted.

Perhaps there was something more going on with that case?

He was fined 400,000 baht so I presume he will have been found guilty of some crime!

this really isn't good enough fining somebody is not sufficient for killing somebody the powers that be must get it right as I have said before a life for a life or a life time in jail is the right sentence for this kind of crime something which happens all too frequently in Thailand.

First the spoiled brat Na Ayudhya and now this...........Third world country!! ( being polite)

Does look like there is no class justice then.. both get off free.. though I find the Na Ayudhya case worse as there were more deaths.

Ye, and the 2 UK guys the other day. Terrible state of affairs.

Don't forget the two 68 year old, innocent, male tourists walking along a Phuket sidewalk that were killed. That criminal driver got away with a 2-year suspended sentence. Then there was the underage girl who killed 9 people when she knocked a van off an elevated highway and because she WAS underage (now she is 21) she has gotten off lightly. This happens time and time again. Murders get out on bail all the time. I remember one story where a CONVICTED murderer got out on bail and killed again.

The only people that seem to go to jail are drug dealers and users and innocent people who happen to be sharing or living in the same room with the drug criminal or somehow associated with them when these dealer/users are arrested even though there is no direct evidence these people are using or dealing. Then there are poor people who are found picking mushrooms in a national park getting 10+ years in jail.

Irrelevant really, but I think you will find the incident involving the 2 68 year olds happened on Koh Samui.

And I agree with your post!

QUIZ:

(1) If a Thai runs over a Thai on a bicycle what should be the penalty?

(2) If a Thai runs over a Foreigner on a bicycle what should be the penalty?

(3) If a Foreigner runs over a Foreigner on a bicycle what should be the penalty?

(4) If a Foreigner runs over a Thai on a bicycle what should be the penalty?

** If all four of your answers are not identical .. congratulations .. you are a racist. **

Edited by Guest
Bold font removed.

Kill somebody and get a $200 fine.

It's not even $200...

$214.28 usd on my currency converter.

OK ladies ... put down the calculators and walk away.

You people can have a cat fight about ANYTHING.

That is what a so called Buddhist country, thinks your life is worth!

Have you ever heard of karma?

If you haven't , it's a kinda universal law of justice.

If you live in a culture different to your own its wise to read up on these things and you'll get a better understanding of the goings on.

If the driver didn't mean it and is no danger now, why punish him more severely when the universe will?

That's is true I was fined 8000 baht for signaling right for about 300m and turning right in the intersection and a motorcyklist from behind thought he had time to pass me on the right side...he hit my car on the side. In any other place in the world he would have been considered causing it and his insurance would have paid for the damages on my car...he was lucky to only get some bruises. But when the police told be I had to give him money my jaw hit the floor but hey that was 6 years ago...I'm not that naive anymore.

Edited by Evolare

And lese majeste cases.

QUIZ:

(3) If a Foreigner runs over a Foreigner on a bicycle what should be the penalty?

** If all four of your answers are not identical .. congratulations .. you are a racist. **

Nothing to do with nationality.

QUIZ:

The penalties are the same, what's your point?

regards Worgeordie

No, it does not. It means 'white person'.

My apologies, my memory isn't what it used to be, so I looked it up, and you are essentially correct. However,

"Thais do sometimes umbrella black and asian people from western countries under the farang label but generally the word is specifically used for white skinned people. Black people may be called farang dum (black farang)."

Instead of throwing people in jail for years in case something bad happens, there should be a serious enforcement of revoking driving licenses in case of endangering other road users. If people then keep on driving without license, then its time to throw them in jail.

Are you serious......where you from?? In western country this guy would have gone to jail. Glad the victim was not your son or brother. <Inflammatory comment removed>

in western country that you say

the tax's are very high to pay for these people to sit in jail and get food 3 times a day and play the internet

life is cheap in thailand [yes ]

so are the tax,s

thailand doesnt have room to throw all these bad drivers in jail

also if they did that transport costs would go up and you pay more for your goods

so again life is cheap

so is living here

Instead of throwing people in jail for years in case something bad happens, there should be a serious enforcement of revoking driving licenses in case of endangering other road users. If people then keep on driving without license, then its time to throw them in jail.

Are you serious......where you from?? In western country this guy would have gone to jail. Glad the victim was not your son or brother. <Inflammatory comment removed>

in western country that you say

the tax's are very high to pay for these people to sit in jail and get food 3 times a day and play the internet

life is cheap in thailand [yes ]

so are the tax,s

thailand doesnt have room to throw all these bad drivers in jail

also if they did that transport costs would go up and you pay more for your goods

so again life is cheap

so is living here

they will not play internet, as most of them are an-alphabetics !!