Wells Fargo Bank

Is anyone with a Wells Fargo atm card having problems, with it being rejected. I have heard that they have blocked out Thailand because of security issues. If this is the case , how long does it last, and what do they think, the customers do for money? Does anyone out there have any ideas on this, seems like a shaby way to treat you account holders.

Wait a day and try another bank. I have had the best luck with Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial Bank ATMs, especially Bangkok Bank. It is most likely just one of those glitches that commonly happen in Thailand. If not, they have frozen your ATM access, in which case you'll have to call them.

Good luck. I know that sinking feeling all too well ...

Tip, even if you see the message "contact your issuing bank" that does not mean that your bank has frozen your access. I have seen that message many times and just try another bank ATM or wait a day and then it works. Pay attention to the bank ATMs that don't work for you and stop using them.

Edited by Thaiquila

Early on in my travels, I had the dreaded 'card no good'. An hour later I found that the charges in Honduras sparked a security freeze.

Now, even traveling among the states here in US, I call and let the companies know where, and when I am gone.

8 years now, no problems

Is anyone with a Wells Fargo atm card having problems, with it being rejected. I have heard that they have blocked out Thailand because of security issues. If this is the case , how long does it last, and what do they think, the customers do for money? Does anyone out there have any ideas on this, seems like a shaby way to treat you account holders.

I have had my Wells Fargo card blocked as well and was not able to get it unblocked by logging into the Wells Fargo system and leaving a message in the contact us option. The communications with them indicated they would have to send me a new card and suggested me calling their number in the States. I wrote back that it was not practical for me to do that and asked if they could take action on my behalf. They did and submitted a request for new card to be sent to me at once. I guess they have done some blocking of account activity in Thailand for high risk activity and they could not assure me that it would not happen again because of the risk. Not sure just what has created the problem but for sure waiting won't make the problem go away. You must contact Wells Fargo and they must remove the hold, or as they did in my case send me a new card. I was not able to use the old one at all.

Sad state of affairs, but the innocent are always the ones that suffer from the activity of crooks.

Good Luck.

Wells did send the new card express at no charge and it got here reasonably quickly.

It happened to me once about three years ago but I was able to use my card again after talking to WF rep and explaining my situation... After they raised their ATM fees to $5 last year I decided to leave WFB and transfered all my accounts to USAA.. I never looked back since. USAA has really great banking service with up to 15 free, overseas ATM transactions per month. Since most of their customers are military they have a great deal of experience and are customer friendly with people who are located overseas.

It happened to me once about three years ago but I was able to use my card again after talking to WF rep and explaining my situation... After they raised their ATM fees to $5 last year I decided to leave WFB and transfered all my accounts to USAA.. I never looked back since. USAA has really great banking service with up to 15 free, overseas ATM transactions per month. Since most of their customers are military they have a great deal of experience and are customer friendly with people who are located overseas.

Would you please point me in the direction of the website for USAA. When doing a search for them far too many options come up to be able to determine which one is the Bank you are referring to.

Thanks

Hey

The website for USAA is www.USAA.com interestingly enough.

They have eligibility criteria for using their services, all is explained on the website.

The banking side is a Federal Savings Bank and is FDIC insured.

Kind regards

Peter

I called them up and they said you do need a military connection to join and get a bank account with them.

Even though old soldiers never die they do not seem to want anything to do with us.

I spent 3 years on active duty and was honorably discharged but the site said I was not eligiable. Hard to understand that but that is indeed the response I got when trying to sign up.

It does sound like a very nice alternative to Wells Fargo but if they won't let you sign up it might just as well not be there.

Thanks for the replies both of you.

I've been using a Wells Fargo debit card at ATM's in Thailand for 3.6 years now, with virtually no problems at all. As stated, some ATM systems here have their own problems, and palm it off by suggesting "contact your issuing bank."

I had my ATM debit card stolen in Hua Hin around April. I immediately phoned WFB, who had the card cancelled, and new one issued. Of course, it takes over a week to arrive (they think I live in Atlanta).

Please bank at USAA if you can; it helps to keep my son and his wife employed there. :o