Over 200 million baht seized from suspected human traffickers

webfact

Over 200 Million Baht Seized From Suspected Human Traffickers
By Khaosod English

14315836351431584918l.jpg
Police press conference in Songkhla province, 14 May 2015.

BANGKOK — Thai authorities say they have seized more than 200 million baht in assets from a network of alleged human traffickers operating in southern Thailand.

The assets, worth approximately 204 million baht, were seized from suspects in Ranong, Satul, and Nakhon Si Thammarat provinces this week, said Pol.Gen. Aek Angsananont, deputy chief of Royal Thai Police.

Thailand’s Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) is currently looking for any evidence that links the assets to human trafficking operations in the region.

After discovering a detention camp and mass grave of Rohingya refugees in the jungle near the Thai-Malysian border on 1 May, Thai authorities have launched an unprecedented crackdown on the well-established human smuggling operation in the region.

Over the past two weeks, four more large camps and at least 70 smaller sites have been found in the mountainous border region. Police believe the camps were used by brokers to detain Rohingya refugees to extort ransom from their families before smuggling them into Malaysia.

Sixty-one arrest warrants have been issued in connection with the trafficking network since the beginning of the month, said Pol.Maj.Gen. Paween Pongsirin, deputy commander of Eighth Region Police. Twenty-six people have been arrested so far, with the latest suspect surrendering to police this morning.

Several of the suspects are local Thai officials, including the mayor of Songkhla's Padang Besar district, where many of the camps are located. Police say the ringleader of the regional trafficking network is Patchuban Angchotipan, aka Ko Tong, a former local administrative official and resort owner in Satul province who is still on the run.

Since the crackdown, security officers have encountered at least 276 refugees in Thailand who were left to fend for themselves after they were reportedly abandoned by their brokers. Police have identified 63 of the refugees as victims of human trafficking. Police have also detained four suspected traffickers who posed as refugees.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1431583635

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-14

Is it just me, the cynic, or does it seem that the confiscation of assets and announcing to the world how big the financial haul has been is more important than seeing to it that justice is served and the guilty are put away where they can not harm society again. Why does it seem that every major crime seems to focus more on the seizure of the criminal's assets than on the seizure of the criminal. Tell us more about the criminal, the what, why, when where, how of the crime. Who cares how much the police were able to get their greedy little hand on.

In most photo ops with news of seizures and arrests, all the cops are relaxed and smiling. Is all I see is very uncomfortable, nervous,almost guilty looking cops these days. They dont seem a cheery about all this human trafficking biz. I wonder why?

Edited by dcutman

Is it just me, the cynic, or does it seem that the confiscation of assets and announcing to the world how big the financial haul has been is more important than seeing to it that justice is served and the guilty are put away where they can not harm society again. Why does it seem that every major crime seems to focus more on the seizure of the criminal's assets than on the seizure of the criminal. Tell us more about the criminal, the what, why, when where, how of the crime. Who cares how much the police were able to get their greedy little hand on.

Cos on the whole, the only thing that "is" important here is "money" ... getting as much money as you can, as quickly as you can, any way you can and < deleted > anyone who get's in your way.

Buddhism isn't the main religion here, money is.

Cos on the whole, the only thing that "is" important here is "money" ... getting as much money as you can, as quickly as you can, any way you can and < deleted > anyone who get's in your way.

Buddhism isn't the main religion here, money is.

You are correct. The religion is called Bahtism.

In most photo ops with news of seizures and arrests, all the cops are relaxed and smiling. Is all I see is very uncomfortable, nervous,almost guilty looking cops these days. They dont seem a cheery about all this human trafficking biz. I wonder why?

I just want to see one cop who is not a skilled parachutist. That will be a collectors item.

200m Baht so far is just the 'tip of the iceberg'. This goes to show just how big a business human trafficking is in LOS. If there's so much money at stake and to be had, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that ther are some very influential people behind this. They are probably going to let the low hanging fruit take the flack while they shelter and see the storm blow over or move into some other equally lucrative /protected illegal activity.

Help me to understand something with the article. In first paragraph it was said they seized assets from traffickers and in third paragraph said they are looking for evidence that links the assets to the trafficking operations. I dont see the logic....

Also last paragraph they encountered 276 refugees abandoned and only identified 63 as human trafficking victims. What kind of status does that leave the other 213 in? Were they not abandoned either? Anyways Im confused

Naively, I wonder how much of this cash haul will be used to assist these homeless refugees who have nothing?

Yes...that is what I was going to say also.

It would be nice to see and hear them announce the assets are being converted into money while the refugees that suffered are compensated in various ways using the money.

But...that would be silly of me and wishful think on my part as ( they ) would never do that, let alone think of it.

Cheers

I have no way of knowing, but I have a sneaky suspicion the cops and government don't really want to know how far up the ladder masterminds of this human trafficking goes and who's at the top.

Naively, I wonder how much of this cash haul will be used to assist these homeless refugees who have nothing?

That was my very first thought...this money should all be used to help them, but not only will that NOT happen; in another article in this same TV email they are going to prosecute these migrants. Amazing Thailand!!!

None. The government will prosecute the victims as illegal aliens and put them in prison, whereafter they will "disappear." Back into the trafficking trade.

Amazing isn't it, whenever there's any negativity on a large scale LoS produces an almost immediate positive result covering everything from TAT figures plucked out of thin air to this sort of thing.

This asset seizure, real or imaginary, suits nicely as there are no arrests of major players who know too much and can reveal how widespread official involvement is and how far up the tree it goes.