Gave up rice. I feel fantastic.

Happy Grumpy

Stopped eating rice and drinking sugar loaded drinks about 4 years ago , I eat German black bread of rye bread , gone from around 102 kilos to 79.

You can pretty much eat what you want if you give sugar and starchy Carbs a miss , So no or very little Rice , White bread or that pony brown bread , pasta , noodles. They need to stop being your staple diet. For those who whinge what else is there to eat , I had chorizo sausage , smoked cheese and bratwurst on rye bread this morning. Plenty of quality food you can get without eating sugar and empty carbs or just vegetables

Sounds like another successful implementation of carbohydrate restriction. Without having to do HIIT three times a week. Well done sir.

I lost about 4k in 3 months since Ive been in Singapore, swimming a few times a week and walking , if you don't want to mess about with SMRT , you can walk to everything you need in Singapore. Cold Storage stores , huge ones everywhere , so instead of ordering takeaways , I walk down the shop and get quality food , fantastic deli and baked proper bread Rye, Black, Swiss country, I even have fully salted butter on it and still can lose weight

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stopped eating rice and drinking sugar loaded drinks about 4 years ago , I eat German black bread of rye bread , gone from around 102 kilos to 79.

You can pretty much eat what you want if you give sugar and starchy Carbs a miss , So no or very little Rice , White bread or that pony brown bread , pasta , noodles. They need to stop being your staple diet. For those who whinge what else is there to eat , I had chorizo sausage , smoked cheese and bratwurst on rye bread this morning. Plenty of quality food you can get without eating sugar and empty carbs or just vegetables

Sounds like another successful implementation of carbohydrate restriction. Without having to do HIIT three times a week. Well done sir.

I lost about 4k in 3 months since Ive been in Singapore, swimming a few times a week and walking , if you don't want to mess about with SMRT , you can walk to everything you need in Singapore. Cold Storage stores , huge ones everywhere , so instead of ordering takeaways , I walk down the shop and get quality food , fantastic deli and baked proper bread Rye, Black, Swiss country, I even have fully salted butter on it and still can lose weight

That's what I hear being a typical result when people cut processed foods and carbs. I have had a great deal of success with clients and associates when they have made the switch. As you say, you don't miss out on anything when you understand what choices are available.

I applaud your efforts in seeking quality food sources and understanding that good fats don't make you fat.

We do the same here in Thailand, though finding organic and grass fed produce is quite a challenge. Good luck and well done. If you are interested in a good read on the subject of carb restricted diets and how they work, have a look at "the art and science of low carbohydrate living" by Jeff Voleck and Stephen Phinney. Might not interest you, but just thought I'd suggest it.

For all you low-carb diet apostles. From the BBC a few weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33905745

They do not have the resources to not feed people of starchy carbs and sugar. Protein and fat are harder to come by when you are feeding Billions. Wouldnt trust any counter argument coming out of the states on this , Corporate america flourishes of feeding the plebs simple carbs and sugar , keep them happy with their junk food. And the public finding out the Government has been encouraging its people to eat unhealthy fattening shit , for want of a better word would not do any administration a favour. So this and Global warming are all made up lies them ?

The longest living people in the world (Okinawa Japan) eat rice with every meal. In fact Asian's in general eat rice with every meal. No problem with eating rice at all.

the Japanese have the longest living population on the planet, no doubt. It would seem that they are also able to survive elevated levels of radiation, again an odd anomaly.

For all you low-carb diet apostles. From the BBC a few weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33905745

Opium for the ignorant masses, no different to MacDonald's offering a healthy option. So you tell me, who would seem the most gullible here?

I read the article when it came out, like I said, opium for the masses. Obviously if it's on the BBC it must be true.

I state again, for those who have been on the keto protocol, their results are all they need. I'm not here to convert anyone, but I will happily defend something that I understand the workings of & its efficacy.

If you read the article, then, definitely you.

I think I'd rather believe "Dr Kevin Hall, from the US-based National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases".

Sure, you can trust and believe who you like. While doing so, maybe you could look at who is funding him and his organisation. Until you have established that, you really don't know if your trust is in good hands. I like to look for the best independent research available, unfortunately many of the institutions such as the one you have quoted, are funded by organisations with vested interests, such as the drug companies and the food industry. The FDA is virtually entirely managed by high level former food industry executives, and we are supposed to have complete trust in their judgement.

Since you put some trust in the BBC maybe you can hunt down a documentary that was aired 2 years ago, it was very well researched and caused enough of a stir that it was buried. I have only managed to find snippets of it on YouTube.

You may be saying to yourself "oh, another conspiracy theorist." but unless you are prepared to dig a little deeper than what is presented to you by organisations with very convincing names, and not looking at who is funding & ultimately steering the outcome bias, you may as well join a religious cult & call it faith. A fine example of independent research, look at Robert Lustig YouTube video called fat chance. Edited by marcosss

I don't care about the funding.

They did a simple, repeatable experiment and the facts speak for themselves.

That's what science is all about, those inconvenient (to your theory) things called facts.

Learning something new is never an inconvenience. As for theory, I have no theory, I as you am quoting what I believe to be the result of research. I along with a number of people have put that information to practice and had positive results across the board.

It's anecdotal, but for the participants, it's proof & good enough.

As for a keto diet being sustainable, it seems by far the easiest to maintain and make it a normal lifestyle choice.

Any additional information regarding the physiological aspects of what we're doing would be greatly appreciated.

Would you please send me a link to the experiments reports to which your referring, I'm interested in what they have discovered.

Thanks in advance.

None of this is rocket science. 1) Sugar bypasses the sense of satiety. 2) The combination of fat and sugar is very moreish, much more so than either would be on its own. 3) Energy dense food makes it much easier to consume lots of calories. 4) Food with lots of water bound in it - like cooked rice - takes a long time to digest and produces a feeling of satiety. 5) A mixed gut of pulses, protein, starch and (especially dairy/calcium) takes an awfully long time to digest. 6) High-intensity interval training sensitises cells to insulin. 7) High-intensity weight training maintains muscle mass and VO2 max, reducing obesity by allowing the burning of loads of calories at rest.

Recognise the above, or don't. I've never spent time with anyone and found it impossible to explain their problems. People get fat and sick because they drink sugar, graze on garbage and give up every time exercise becomes a little bit demanding. They then look for some magic solution which means they can still graze and surrender.

None of this is rocket science. 1) Sugar bypasses the sense of satiety. 2) The combination of fat and sugar is very moreish, much more so than either would be on its own. 3) Energy dense food makes it much easier to consume lots of calories. 4) Food with lots of water bound in it - like cooked rice - takes a long time to digest and produces a feeling of satiety. 5) A mixed gut of pulses, protein, starch and (especially dairy/calcium) takes an awfully long time to digest. 6) High-intensity interval training sensitises cells to insulin. 7) High-intensity weight training maintains muscle mass and VO2 max, reducing obesity by allowing the burning of loads of calories at rest.

Recognise the above, or don't. I've never spent time with anyone and found it impossible to explain their problems. People get fat and sick because they drink sugar, graze on garbage and give up every time exercise becomes a little bit demanding. They then look for some magic solution which means they can still graze and surrender.

You are absolutely right & I agree with you. As for the science, I say that it is far more complex than rocket science because of the variables in the case of each individual. Sugar and fructose should be avoided as much as possible. Sugar inhibits satiety by blocking leptin receptors, thus making the feeling of satiety not possible. Fructose has no metabolic function in humans and is metabolised in the same way as alcohol, it is converted to fat and ROS in the form of aldehydes. As for HIIT, it is with out doubt the most effective and efficient form of exercise, but what percentage of people will commit to that? Many people will not take the time to go for a walk, let alone spend a few hours a day at the gym, & not 20 minutes of HIIT three times a week.

So, the path of least resistance or the least disruptive is the only option for them, & that is to modify the diet to one that will give positive results & is sustainable. Paleo, LCHF or keto offers that option & that is the only point I am making. Calling it nonsense achieves nothing. Your last response is by far the most thoughtful and considered, yet it will not convince people who have never been in any way athletic to suddenly become gym junkies, in most cases it has the opposite effect, they throw their hands in the air and say it's just to hard. In many cases just modifying the diet, and getting them to cut sugar is a challenge. Hitting them with a guilt trip about their lifestyle being the cause of their overweight or ill health has been proven to not work, it in fact has a devastating effect on their psychological well being. Here is a link for you, I hope that you take the time to read it and come back to me with your thoughts. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AuthorityNutrition/~3/eYjrqaWWHiU/

Edited by marcosss

.... it will not convince people who have never been in any way athletic to suddenly become gym junkies, in most cases it has the opposite effect, they throw their hands in the air and say it's just to hard. In many cases just modifying the diet, and getting them to cut sugar is a challenge. Hitting them with a guilt trip about their lifestyle being the cause of their overweight or ill health has been proven to not work, it in fact has a devastating effect on their psychological well being. Here is a link for you, I hope that you take the time to read it and come back to me with your thoughts. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AuthorityNutrition/~3/eYjrqaWWHiU/

Well, actors regularly gain and lose loads of weight, because they aren't fat people. To get to 16 stone you have to go through twelve, thirteen, fourteen......Fat people are a self-selected group. What might or might not be true of them probably isn't true of the general population, and "guilt trip" messages given everything else don't necessarily tell us much about "guilt trip" messages per se. Something of the propositional content, "For **** sake, stop eating all this rubbish" is going to have to be what a concerned friend should say, even if they put it differently. Being an enabler - as far as I can see - isn't doing anyone any good, but it sure makes you popular.

.... it will not convince people who have never been in any way athletic to suddenly become gym junkies, in most cases it has the opposite effect, they throw their hands in the air and say it's just to hard. In many cases just modifying the diet, and getting them to cut sugar is a challenge. Hitting them with a guilt trip about their lifestyle being the cause of their overweight or ill health has been proven to not work, it in fact has a devastating effect on their psychological well being. Here is a link for you, I hope that you take the time to read it and come back to me with your thoughts. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AuthorityNutrition/~3/eYjrqaWWHiU/

Well, actors regularly gain and lose loads of weight, because they aren't fat people. To get to 16 stone you have to go through twelve, thirteen, fourteen......Fat people are a self-selected group. What might or might not be true of them probably isn't true of the general population, and "guilt trip" messages given everything else don't necessarily tell us much about "guilt trip" messages per se. Something of the propositional content, "For **** sake, stop eating all this rubbish" is going to have to be what a concerned friend should say, even if they put it differently. Being an enabler - as far as I can see - isn't doing anyone any good, but it sure makes you popular.

It has nothing to do with being popular, it's about helping those who want help and don't know where to start or how to achieve their goals and maintaining. "For <deleted> sake" simply does not cut it, when you don't know the difference between eating rubbish and eating clean, and that sir is the conundrum we face. Your example of the actors and weight control, I dare to say that these people will have access to a dietitians & trainer leading up to the role in which they are getting in shape for. Unless the individual is permanently focused or driven by his or her own body image, they tend to get pretty out of shape between jobs, just a simple consequence of "living the good life"

Now why are so many people getting fat? Yes your right, they have poor food choices, I don't say they make poor food choices, because the media and advertising tells them, constantly what the best food choices are, it's often referred to as a balanced diet rich in cereals & grains, low in fat and high in polyunsaturates. This has been the standard mantra since Ansel Keys and George McGovern decided to set up the national dietary guidelines back in the 70s based on non science. The effects of the dietary guidelines have been responsible for the current situation in which people believe that what their eating is good for them, yet over the last 4 decades the population of the countries that adopted the dietary guidelines have all suffered the same fate, a spike in obesity and metabolic syndrome. I completely understand where your coming from & that your protocol works perfectly for you, but like I said before, not everyone has the dedication and drive needed to make that lifestyle change. The minor lifestyle change of a clean and sustainable eating protocol is as big a challenge as some are willing to take. If that change is, as the posts title says, "I stopped eating rice and I feel great." I think that they should be supported and encouraged to learn more about the benefits of eating a better diet. Like I said, the subject is every bit as complex as rocket science, diet has been shown to be a key factor in gene expression, it has a daily impact on your hormone profile & there is an entire body of work on the effects of the microbiome (gut bacteria) on the brain and nervous system. Yes it certainly sounds like another one of those fad diets, I'll just shut up now.

Gut bacteria is a massive issue. Most of the cells in you aren't human! This is why chucking loads of pulses and greens down your neck produces great results, and drinking sugar "wucks you up".

My legs are creamed at the minute, and I'm due again in the gym in eight hours - not attractive. But I can remember when I was a garbage-eating kid who would do nothing. I think it's a question of inroads. Do a little and fail. Do a little more and fail less badly. Do a little more and fail narrowly. Do a little more and barely pass.....

My pal failed the military academy Sandhurst and asked my advice about getting fit. I said, "Dress in a little more than you would to run and go out. Jog fifty paces and walk a hundred. Cover three miles. Do this six nights a week. Increase the running portions and reduce the walking. Keep pushing yourself". As I say, I think most people could turn it around if they - as Churchill said - just kept buggering on.

Gut bacteria is a massive issue. Most of the cells in you aren't human! This is why chucking loads of pulses and greens down your neck produces great results, and drinking sugar "wucks you up".

My legs are creamed at the minute, and I'm due again in the gym in eight hours - not attractive. But I can remember when I was a garbage-eating kid who would do nothing. I think it's a question of inroads. Do a little and fail. Do a little more and fail less badly. Do a little more and fail narrowly. Do a little more and barely pass.....

My pal failed the military academy Sandhurst and asked my advice about getting fit. I said, "Dress in a little more than you would to run and go out. Jog fifty paces and walk a hundred. Cover three miles. Do this six nights a week. Increase the running portions and reduce the walking. Keep pushing yourself". As I say, I think most people could turn it around if they - as Churchill said - just kept buggering on.

Again, I agree with you in principle. The fine details vary, the end result /goal is highly subjective.

We (the missus & I) steer clear of pulses and starchy vegetables. We do a lot of leafy greens and feed the gut bacteria with organic grass fed yoghurt a few times a week, a portion of fermented cabbage daily (sauerkraut) then from time to time some kabucha or kefir. What you say about getting out what you are prepared to put in, is absolutely true and correct, though it's subjectivity is based on what your end goals are. If your purely interested in normalising your metabolic function, restoration of insulin sensitivity and losing excess body fat, I put it to you, it can be done through a ketogenic feeding protocol and walking daily. The biochemistry is explained by a highly respected professor of pathology from the university of Melbourne, a fellow by the name of Ken Sikaris.

Here is a link to one of his lectures on the subject.

The entire subject of LCHF goes very deeply & into a variety of related topics with a great amount of detail, the researchers are not two bit hacks.

Their work is trying to demystify a puzzle, a puzzle or misinformation that big food and big pharma have had a big influence in propagating. A perfect example, perpetuate a myth that states, "cholesterol is the cause of coronary heart disease." develop and sell a drug that lowers cholesterol. As you may be aware, statins are the biggest selling pharmaceutical on the planet. The latest science tells us that elevated cholesterol is not the cause of CHD it is one of a number of metabolic markers indicating that there is an underlying cause. Diet/dietary cholesterol is not the cause of elevated blood cholesterol.

Craig, I can take you as deep as you want on this subject, I can reference & point you in the direction of the researchers. I'm not in this for any reason other than to improve my chances of avoiding metabolic decline as I age. My personal experience to date. When I started, after only 3 months on LCHF my triglycerides dropped off the scale, my uric acid was below normal for someone my age and I dropped 12 kilos in that time. I've had to work my butt off and eat 3500 cals of mainly good fats to try to get back to 88 kg. Our daily macros for the last two years have been 80% fat 15% protein and 5% carbohydrate, so far our 6 monthly bloods (we've had 3 blood tests since starting) have only shown positive results & a considerable improvement on the 12 years of blood work prior to the adoption of the protocol.

Have a look at Ken Sikaris lecture and let me know if you think it's bogus.

Edited by marcosss

Good discussion…..lots to consider…but is it true to say that everyone's metabolism is unique in some small way….while a LCHF diet may work for some is it possible it might fail with someone else?

The sheer number of weight loss solutions being touted….blood type diet, LCHF, HPLC, Paleo, South Beach etc etc lead me to believe this now.

Good discussion…..lots to consider…but is it true to say that everyone's metabolism is unique in some small way….while a LCHF diet may work for some is it possible it might fail with someone else?

The sheer number of weight loss solutions being touted….blood type diet, LCHF, HPLC, Paleo, South Beach etc etc lead me to believe this now.

Everyone has there individual quirks in more ways than one, though the biochemistry of our metabolic process is pretty much the same, it will vary based on the lifestyle one chooses, weather you smoke, drink or exercise will have a bearing on the function of the body, lifestyle choice is the biggest defining factor. Oh, let's not forget specifics, such as allergy and intolerances to certain foods.

A few of the diets you mentioned are a variation of carbohydrate restricted diets. These seem to have the best success rate because when consuming a diet high in good fats, (once you have adapted to it, this is very important) you simply don't eat as much, your not constantly hungry and the body quickly self regulates how much food it needs.

I highly recommend you visit the links on my previous posts and have a look at Robert Lustigs lecture on sugar and fructose, this is an excellent place to start getting your head around the principles of the metabolic process that takes place in the body.

It explains why your always hungry when you have sugar in the diet, it's a real eye opener.

I would then look at Ken Sikaris's lecture. Both these guys are excellent educators and scientists, Lustig is a paediatric Endocrinologist at the University of California and Sikaris is a professor of pathology microbiology at the University of Melbourne and a senior pathologist at Melbourne pathology.

There is also a fellow called Dr. Gary Fettke, from the university of Tasmania who has & is continuing research into commonly used oils, you know the ones that we've been told are good for you, canola, sunflower, corn oil, basically polyunsaturated seed based oils. As it turns out, because these oils are high in omega 6 & their molecular structure is susceptible to oxidation (they easily become rancid) the research suggests that they cause inflammation, so the advice is to avoid margarine and seed based oils.

I assume that the readers are Thailand based, so I ask you to look at the number of locals that have severe skin irritation on their face, in particular on their cheeks. It has something to do with their diet, most likely the cooking oil. This is the sign of inflammation.

Cardio vascular disease or atherosclerosis is inflammation of the arteries and heart, primary cause, poor lifestyle, not always by choice.

If you or anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post a bunch of links, where you can have a look at the information & make up your own mind.

With regards to the blood type diet and the good doctor Adamo, the research fails to prove any response or positive results from that protocol. Personal experience, my missus tried it for 9 months with no change to the results of her blood tests from prior to, through duration of the implementation of the blood type diet.

If you can't find the links, they are all on YouTube.

1) Robert Lustig fructose 2.0 fat chance

2)prof Ken Sikaris does LCHF Improve Your Blood Tests

3)Dr Gary Fettke A nutritional model of inflammation and modern disease.

On the subject of not having a choice when it comes to diet.

I also recommend you try to find a BBC documentary called "The men who made us fat." it discusses the psychological effects of food advertising in modern society and it goes into the ingredients that go into processed foods that keep you wanting more.

Let me know what you think. I'm always keen to here the opinions of others.

Edited by marcosss

Eat healthy, have a good diet, regular exercise.......die anyway.

Yeah thanks for supplying your research reference & wonderful positive input.

You're welcome.

You know it's true.

Might as well enjoy bacon, pizza, cream cakes and everything else you like as you only live once.

My fitness freak friend of 25 years has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He's a month older than me; a cigarette smoking, food-loving, exercise-hating individual.

I'm sure, one day, you'll be the healthiest corpse in the morgue.

Edited by KarenBravo

Eat healthy, have a good diet, regular exercise.......die anyway.

Yeah thanks for supplying your research reference & wonderful positive input.

You're welcome.

You know it's true.

Might as well enjoy bacon, pizza, cream cakes and everything else you enjoy as you only live once.

My fitness freak friend of 25 years has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He's a month older than me; a cigarette smoking, food-loving, exercise-hating individual.

I'm sure you will be the healthiest corpse in the morgue.[/

Oh, so I see through your admission here that you are an absolute expert in the field of nutrition, well being & applied cigarette smoking.

I'm out of my depth here, I have never had the joy of smoking and been endowed with the infinite wisdom that it bestows.

Each to their own. I'll race you to the morgue then.

Edited by marcosss

My big advantage is that I'm not that bothered what I eat so long as I'm not actually hungry on a sustained basis. So ten baht's worth of rice with a fistful of peanuts and a tin of those spicy "Sealect" sardines whisked through it and I'm perfectly happy. As the Buddha almost said, the great way is easy if you're basically a dog.

Moving house this weekend so didn't get too much shopping , just enough for today, Breakfast was Camembert on toasted Rye bread with a handful of blueberries. was in Thailand last weekend and always bring back a couple of loaves of sliced Swiss country bread which is sold in Villa in 11 or 33 and makes a change to the big Rye bread roles. If you want to stop eating starchy carbs get some Black bread as its called or Rye bread, toast it and put what you want on it, unlike the sliced Mothers pride shit of which I used to eat half a loaf with my dinner, this stuff fills you up as it is so full of Fibre

Eating some foods can cause gut inflammation, the following report overview looks at the possible consequences.

Authored by D. Perlmutter

The fundamental mechanism that underlies such seemingly disparate issues as autism, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and various other neurodegenerative conditions, is the process of inflammation. As you will note, this has been a central theme in my recent lectures, television programs, as well as books, as this is what current science is strongly supporting.

But it now looks as if this process, inflammation, may actually begin in the gut and subsequently affect the brain as a downstream mechanism. In a submission to the Journal of Neuroinflammation, researchers at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles reported on a fascinating experiment.

Using laboratory mice, they administered a chemical, dextran sodium sulfate (DSS), into the drinking water of some of the animals. They then examined the brains of these animals at various times up to 26 days after the chemical was placed in the water. DSS specifically causes gut inflammation.

What the researchers discovered was, in fact, quite profound. First, they demonstrated dramatic evidence of gut inflammation following exposure to DSS; there was an increase in inflammatory cells in the intestinal lining.

What was more compelling, however, is what went on in the brains of these animals. The scientist found that there was first an increase in the chemical mediators of inflammation, IL-6 and IL-1 beta, followed by activation of the brains inflammatory cells called microglia.

Even more compelling was what they found in the animals’ brain memory center. This area of the brain, the hippocampus, plays a role not only in memory but also in regulation of mood. Normally, it is fairly straightforward to demonstrate persistent growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus in the mouse brain (as it is in humans). However, when inflammation in the gut was brought on by administration of DSS, there was a dramatic reduction in the growth of new brain cells in the animals in which inflammation had been induced.

Not only was there a reduction in the growth of new brain cells, but in addition there was a reduction in the the differentiation of the brain stem cells into fully functioning neurons.

The implications of this study are breathtaking. Not only does it shed important light on the explanation as to why individuals with inflammatory bowel disease are frequently compromised with respect to cognitive function as well as mood, but it further extends our understanding of the pivotal role of gut related issues, in this case inflammation, as they relate to the brain.

It’s time that we begin looking in earnest outside of the brain for clues to our most pernicious brain maladies. By and large, researchers have come up fairly empty-handed when looking only at the brain in terms of trying to explain mechanistically what goes on in things like Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.

I admit that this is an animal study and that it is certainly inappropriate to extrapolate too aggressively from the results. Nonetheless, we are moving forward with a new concept of brain health and disease, and these researchers are to be praised for bringing us this valuable information.

Edited by marcosss

The Prevalence and Management of Diabetes in Thai Adults

The International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in Asia

Abstract

OBJECTIVE—The aim of this study was to determine in Thai adults aged ≥35 years the prevalence and management of diabetes and the associations of diabetes with cardiovascular risk factors.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS—The International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in Asia was a complex sample survey. Data from a structured questionnaire, brief physical examination, and blood sample were collected from 5,105 individuals aged ≥35 years (response rate 68%). Population estimates were calculated by applying sampling weights derived from the 2000 Thai census.

RESULTS—The estimated national prevalence of diabetes in Thai adults was 9.6% (2.4 million people), which included 4.8% previously diagnosed and 4.8% newly diagnosed. The prevalence of impaired fasting glucose was 5.4% (1.4 million people). Diagnosed diabetes, undiagnosed diabetes, and impaired fasting glucose were associated with greater age, BMI, waist-to-hip ratio, systolic blood pressure, total cholesterol, and serum creatinine levels. The majority of individuals with diagnosed diabetes had received dietary or other behavioral advice, and 82% were taking oral hypoglycemic therapy. Blood pressure-lowering therapy was provided to 67% of diagnosed diabetic patients with concomitant hypertension.

CONCLUSIONS—Diabetes is common in Thailand, but one-half of all cases are undiagnosed. Because diagnosed diabetes is likely to be treated with proven, low-cost, preventive therapies such as glucose lowering and blood pressure lowering, initiatives that increased diagnosis rates would be expected to produce substantial health benefits in Thailand.

Source : http://m.care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/10/2758.full#sec-6

Edited by marcosss