Gave up rice. I feel fantastic.

Happy Grumpy

Have lived here for 9 years.

Would eat rice, I suppose on average, once every second or third day for either lunch or dinner.

Gave the sodding thing up. Curries with roti instead, no fried rice dishes.

I'm not a fat fecker at 76 or so kg, 175cm, but after a few days/weeks it feels great.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its complete bs to think rice created ur better diet.

Its to know which rice u eat and the other foods u eat with it.

Eating brown rice could be the best diet for every human, combined with good veggies, meat without preservatives

Eating good rice and veggies changed my life for the better

Any restrictive diet - "Don't eat anything beginning with the letter "b", "don't eat carbs" - almost always results in people losing weight. They've done the research on this. Basically the diet you have before the change is the one you'd pick - have picked - so as soon as a change takes place you find you can't eat some of the things you'd choose, don't eat enough of other things, and lose weight. Why jack in rice? Probably because of the "just sugar" or "white death" propaganda. As Marcel says (above) brown rice is pretty awesome nutritionally, and I'm far from convinced there's a problem with white rice. I cook massive rice frenzy meals with the yoghurt, kidney beans, fish, spices and veg all in one pot, and I doubt there's much healthier.

That said, if you weren't getting enough protein then roti is going to be a big increase in consumption over rice. Vegetable protein consumption in particular is also associated with lower blood pressure, so roti might be the way forward. I think the average European on a budget will cope a lot better with Thailand if something bread-ish is at the heart of affairs morning and at lunchtime. Even a bread intended for consumption with savoury things would be pretty good with banana and other fruit and a pint of coffee in the morning, or maybe a few pan eggs. Rice is nice, but not thrice a day smile.png

You just avoided diabetesclap2.gif

Is there absolutely any evidence for saying this?

For about six months thirty years ago there was a scare about cholesterol in eggs. They soon discovered that blood cholesterol levels were affected by biliary cholesterol, dumped in big volumes into the gut twice a day, if my memory serves me right. Eggs aren't a problem - they're a very good food - but people like an easy solution if it means they can do everything else that they enjoy. Thailand is doubtless not short of blokes who avoid white rice but drink 2,000 kcal of lager a day!

Type two diabetes is caused by being overweight and by having cells which don't respond efficiently to insulin. The first of these is caused by eating (or drinking) lots of energy-dense food, and the second is caused by failing to take intense exercise.

Don't eat refined sugar, don't eat large amounts of fat, don't eat garbage generally, and wind yourself by going flat out for thirty seconds ten times with short recoveries every three days. If you manage to becomes diabetic after that you're doing well.

Avoid diabetes by eliminating rice? Possibly? You could also try sacrificing a goat. thumbsup.gif

For about six months thirty years ago there was a scare about cholesterol in eggs. They soon discovered that blood cholesterol levels were affected by biliary cholesterol, dumped in big volumes into the gut twice a day, if my memory serves me right. Eggs aren't a problem - they're a very good food - but people like an easy solution if it means they can do everything else that they enjoy. Thailand is doubtless not short of blokes who avoid white rice but drink 2,000 kcal of lager a day!

Type two diabetes is caused by being overweight and by having cells which don't respond efficiently to insulin. The first of these is caused by eating (or drinking) lots of energy-dense food, and the second is caused by failing to take intense exercise.

Don't eat refined sugar, don't eat large amounts of fat, don't eat garbage generally, and wind yourself by going flat out for thirty seconds ten times with short recoveries every three days. If you manage to becomes diabetic after that you're doing well.

Avoid diabetes by eliminating rice? Possibly? You could also try sacrificing a goat. thumbsup.gif

An adult serving of white rice is around 200 grams - that's equivalent of around 56 grams of glucose.

A teaspoon of sugar contains two grams of glucose and two grams of fructose. The fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion. An adult size bowl of rice therefore contains as much glucose as is contained in 27 teaspoons of sugar; equivalent to two and a half cans of coke.

Brown rice has more fibre - so 30% less glucose = 1 and a half cans of coke per adult serve.

If type 2 diabetes is a result of insulin resistance due to excessive glucose in the blood, rice is indeed a likely culprit.

So, before you go sacrificing any goats, please do a little arithmetic.

thanks for sharing.

Not to mention a wonderful opportunity for others to announce that they don't like Thai/Asian food ... because it's something we all needed to know.

... but after a few days/weeks it feels great.

Sort of a cliff-hanger until we learn what "it" is.

post-145917-0-80290700-1432196285_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

An adult serving of white rice is around 200 grams - that's equivalent of around 56 grams of glucose.

A teaspoon of sugar contains two grams of glucose and two grams of fructose. The fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion. An adult size bowl of rice therefore contains as much glucose as is contained in 27 teaspoons of sugar; equivalent to two and a half cans of coke.

Brown rice has more fibre - so 30% less glucose = 1 and a half cans of coke per adult serve.

If type 2 diabetes is a result of insulin resistance due to excessive glucose in the blood, rice is indeed a likely culprit.

This, unfortunately, isn't science. You say "..that equivalent of around 56 grams of glucose", but you can't - from a food science/nutrition point of view, do that. Everything is broken down in the body, and you can't avoid consideration of the processes. Your body - especially your brain - needs the glucose, and roti bread, apples...whatever, will be turned into glucose to meet that need. But the source really matters. If you drank 56 grams of glucose how quickly do you think it would be digested? If you ate 700 kcals of rice how quickly do you think it would be digested? The instant you answer these questions you know why "equivalent" doesn't mean anything. It would take your body minutes to respond to glucose syrup - with all of the consequences of that - but it would take many hours for your stomach and small intestine to separate out the water and carbohydrate from rice.

If you're interested I know two guys who did their little exercise science research project to find out which common food maintained blood sugar at a constant level. They both identified creamed rice as by far and away the best. Cooked rice - packed with water - with dairy product around it, which slows digestion and creates a "slurry" in the gut - is just about perfect.

West Indians, of course, eat their rice with curried goat!

How do you arrive at those numbers? According to wikipedia (http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Rice) for 100 grams of rice there are:

80 grams of carbohydrates and 0.12 grams of sugars. I'm assuming that when 80 grams of carbohydrates is digested,that 28 grams of glucose is produced? I wasn't able to find a reference.

Eating brown rice could be the best diet for every human, combined with good veggies, meat without preservatives

The low GI rice available in most supermarkets is excellent ,might be dearer, but far healthier, than the white stuff

Edited by Maestro
added acronym description

The low GI rice available in most supermarkets is excellent ,might be dearer, but far healthier, than the white stuff

Brown rice in the market is 15 baht - cheaper than white, which is what you'd expect given that it's less processed. A fifth or a sixth of what yuppies and vegans pay in the West.

Simple carbs and processed foods are one of the downfalls of modern society. Getting rid of a simple carbs such as white rice is bound to make your healthier.

Most folks can't handl culinary changes, though. Good for you.

The worst items in Thai cuisine are white polished processed rice, fish sauce, palm oil and palm sugar, the latter three are all used in stir frying. These ingredients and similar items through out Asia are probably the reason so many people have diabetes. I read a report on here that 8 million people in Thailand have some form of kidney disease which is a complication of diabetes.

Some science - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/1/290S.long

"Because of the many uncertainties regarding the validity of the GI for determining what foods are “good” or “bad” for one's health, I believe it would be a mistake to initiate a public health campaign stating that certain widely consumed carbohydrates should be avoided. Much more definitive data are needed before any such dietary recommendations are made and controlled clinical trials are the best way to proceed.
There are many more worthwhile issues relating to diet and health that merit the focus of a public health effort. The prevention of type 2 diabetes is a critical public health priority given that the prevalence of diabetes in the US population has increased from 8.9% to 12.3% in 11 y (111), and continues to increase (112). The rate of obesity, a primary predictor of diabetes, is skyrocketing (113). As a matter of public health, the message is clear: decrease total energy intakes and increase physical activity (114). To decrease the incidence of cardiovascular disease, lifestyle changes and low saturated fat intakes are recommended (115). These are recommendations that we can all agree on, and much work is still needed to promote them to the US population.
Now, as I say, this is an issue for scientists, not "Gwyneth Paltrow" judgments. The evidence isn't there, is by "evidence" you mean, "The kind of thing a scientist would accept", which is what we should mean by evidence.

And if you're really interested - http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/03march/Pages/white-rice-type-2-diabetes.aspx

High rice consumption in Asians seems to cause a problem but not in Europeans. Why? I'd guess because people need to get their calories, so high rice consumption is a barometer of poverty in Asia, and it's the lack of all the other things in the diets of the poor which causes the problem.

You're confusing Glycemic Index with grams of glucose. White rice (depending on variety) has very little sugar .05 grams per 100 grams rice, but a relatively high GI.

High GI foods are a diabetes risk and Asian countries do have higher rates of the disease.

You're right about one thing,it's the lack of fiber in white rice which gives it a high GI. Brown rice hasn't the same issue.

I've been primal (caveman diet) for about 3 years now. Only about 80/20 though as I do enjoy a beer or two every now and then. It is also difficult in Thailand to avoid rice, vegetable oil and certain sauces, especially as I eat out most of the time at local Thai places. I also must have full cream milk in my tea or coffee. I have never felt better healthwise and at 52 years old, I'm at my lightest weight since I was about 20. A bit of exercise a few times a week and life's pretty good. Nothing too strenuous or time consuming I might add.

It's all about avoiding sugars ie processed foods, soft drinks (including diet ones) etc. Also avoiding grains which includes any breads and pasta. Ditch the white potatoes and take it easy with rice, corn, peas etc. Stick to oils like virgin olive, coconut, avocado etc and avoid vegetable, sunflower etc. It is a very basic diet which a lot of people think is too restrictive, but it is not hard at ll really. Eat as much fatty meat as you like, hook into eggs, bacon and vegetables, salad, nuts and wash it down with tequila and soda :) Not for everyone but if you check out the Mark's Daily Apple blog, you may just be convinced. Cheers.

Loved your math., just wondering though how you took that monumental leap from 200 grams of rice (carbohydrates) equaling 56 grams of glucose, perhaps you can add some factual detail?

thanks for sharing.

Not to mention a wonderful opportunity for others to announce that they don't like Thai/Asian food ... because it's something we all needed to know.

... but after a few days/weeks it feels great.

Sort of a cliff-hanger until we learn what "it" is.

It's amazing how sharp witted one can become on a diet of broken glass and razor blades. Was this dietry requirement recommended by your shrink?

The reason rice is bad for Westerners in Asia is it is not hydrated properly, i.e. undercooked. So your digestive system tries to compensate, and you end up constipated. Sticky rice is a particularly bad actor.

I eat rice one or two times a week, but I am very careful to balance it with sweet corn ( khao pud ) and okra ( ga dtiap ) which are both good natural laxatives.

If you want carbs in the diet, you are far better off with noodles. Much more digestible.

I eat rice now in nearly every meal. I gave up bread when I arrived to live here & lost 10 kg in 8 months. I guess it all depends on what you replace it with. Hopefully not wheat.!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to eat more oats & rye but it is not easy here if you don't do your own cooking

I buy brown, black and red rice and mix it...been eating that exclusively over 2 years...
I DO NOT eat white rice if I can help it... although I like sticky rice with my somtum... and also, I eat no farang food while living in thailand, that includes no wheat.

I cook with rice bran oil, eat organic when I can find it and do not eat the fish or beef here... try to stick to just chicken...sometimes pork, but mostly veggies, fruits and rice/beans.

Feel healthy, look healthy and have not been sick in over 2 years.. other than the time I poisoned myself eating old corn...

I do not eat dairy either.