proof of residency for retirement extension.

Yes. I stand corrected I did not have to go through all the steps of a marriage visa (so called). But the dual mugshot at the end was a bit strange, and I am left with the impression that this was more than just an address check.

It's getting so insane that I would not be surprised if one day they require you to be married to obtain an extension for retirement.

One thing is certain, they make it up, as none of this is written as required, and different places have different requirements.

Well thanks for believing me, I sense you are the only one that does.

I've got half a mind to go back there and ask them to clarify the rules and when they apply. But you know! ... might not be the cleverest thing to do.

I wouldn't do that. Make them lose face and you might never get an extension.

Wise words !. Certainly I need to remember that for the future.

If your landlord refuses to give you a copy of his ID card and Tabian Ban, inform Immigration of that fact and take whatever other proof of address you have. Alternatively find a more appreciative landlord.

If you can't contact him, how do you pay the rent? Stop paying the rent, I'm sure he will soon contact you.

So if that required evidence is copies of your landlord's id and blue house book, as i have heard,and he refuses to provide them or he cannot be contacted,what then?

Do you have a rental agreement?

Bills in your name to that address?

If your landlord refuses to give you a copy of his ID card and Tabian Ban, inform Immigration of that fact and take whatever other proof of address you have. Alternatively find a more appreciative landlord.

If you can't contact him, how do you pay the rent? Stop paying the rent, I'm sure he will soon contact you.

Many people pay their rent thru an agent..my previous landlord lived abroad and I only see my current one two or three times a year.Hoping it won't be a problem for me...can you imagine having to move because of this...or worse losing your extension?

Edited by chang50
  • Like 1

So if that required evidence is copies of your landlord's id and blue house book, as i have heard,and he refuses to provide them or he cannot be contacted,what then?

Many people pay their rent thru an agent..my previous landlord lived abroad and I only see my current one two or three times a year.Hoping it won't be a problem for me...can you imagine having to move because of this...or worse losing your extension?

If the "Agent" is halfway to being competent then he/she will be able to provide whatever Immigration require

The problem here is potentially applicants for extensions can be refused for something entirely outside their control.

Is there ANY evidence of this "potential" problem actually occurring ?

Why do some insist on seeking to spread alarm and despondency based on little more than manufactured Rumour ?

The problem here is potentially applicants for extensions can be refused for something entirely outside their control.

Absolutely. It is more likely that reasonableness will prevail; you'd hope anyway.

Yet, that might only be achieved after 2 or 3 visits to the office. Now, that is all right for someone like me that lives a 1km from Immigration, but someone living 5okm or more might be severely inconvenienced.

• Like 2

Why do some insist on seeking to spread alarm and despondency based on little more than manufactured Rumour ?

Well excuse me, I was under the impression (mistakenly obviously) that this was a forum that encouraged free speech and exchange of ideas.My only evidence is anecdotal from speaking on Facebook to expats from Phuket but I expect that would be rudely dismissed as well,Sorry to have been such a nuisance.

• Like 1

Well excuse me, I was under the impression (mistakenly obviously) that this was a forum that encouraged free speech and exchange of ideas.My only evidence is anecdotal from speaking on Facebook to expats from Phuket but I expect that would be rudely dismissed as well,Sorry to have been such a nuisance.

You are correct !

What a pity you did not check and discover that I live in Phuket !

I am sure there are many face book fools making complete idiots of themselves !

I recently renewed an extension of stay at Phuket Immigration and provided the required "proof" of address.

Absolutely no problem and most certainly not worth creating yet another rumour about.

When the "anecdote" is provable please return smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

Thank you mommysboy, I was polite and civil and even if I was mistaken in my posts no one should be belittled publicly like that.Hardly going to encourage new posters is it?

Sometimes the TRUTH must be told ! smile.png Even if "they" dislike it !

Clearly some cannot separate "truth" from rumour and scaremongering !

Nothing wrong with wanting proof. But in my case that meant providing everything required for a marriage visa. A retirement visa (so called) is not dependent on relationship.

AS you wish and believe !

Total Balderdash

Stop spreading rumour and untruths!

I also have an extension of stay based on retirement and a renewal of that extension (including "proof" of residence) is quick, simple, does not rely on "relationship" and is achieved in one visit to immigration.

How does that compare to an extension based on marriage , which does depend on a de-facto relationship between a man and a woman and which requires at least two attendances at an immigration office ?

Not sure if I've got this right, but only ONE visit to Immigration?

Surely one has to go to the secondary office to obtain a 500baht "Certificate of Residency" before processing with the retirement extension. ??

Hopefully this will all be consolidated with the opening of the Promenada Office.

When we got our first 1-year extension (not retirement, but as caretakers for our children who were students) in CM we were required to show a copy of the homeowner's book and rental agreement. But for the next two 1-year extensions of that we were not asked for that by the Nonthaburi office where we live now.

But, when we just took our elderly mother in for her retirement 1 year extension they did ask us for that (not the rental agreement, just us listed on the paper the landlord signs, and copies of his documents). We asked about it, and they said it was new that they required it. They told us to be sure we got the landlord to do a new one for us as well (they keep the original unlike for some things), since our extension is coming up in a few months and we'll need it every time now. They helpfully pointed out the forms, smiled, and were very nice about it and wanted to be sure we wouldn't have trouble when we came back, and so we were grateful, and we'll get it done. smile.png

Edited by KayCee
  • Like 1

Not sure if I've got this right, but only ONE visit to Immigration?

Surely one has to go to the secondary office to obtain a 500baht "Certificate of Residency" before processing with the retirement extension. ??

Hopefully this will all be consolidated with the opening of the Promenada Office.

There is no requirement or need to get a certificate of residency before you apply for your extension. Those are only needed to get drivers licenses and etc.

Just remember, this is not your country or mine........any type of extention, they can do as they wish.....and requirements can always change!

Stop being an ass about this or that.......if you have problems of required info for immigration, then they will just deny your ext, and you can leave!

Tired to read about such useless rants, if you want logic.....go somewhere else!

• Like 1

Absolutely. It is more likely that reasonableness will prevail; you'd hope anyway.

Yet, that might only be achieved after 2 or 3 visits to the office. Now, that is all right for someone like me that lives a 1km from Immigration, but someone living 5okm or more might be severely inconvenienced.

Presumably you chose to live many thousands of km from "home", so how can a mere 50km cause severe inconvenience? Once a year?

I have always produced a copy of my house contract in Chiang Mai never a problem. Maybe some landlords do not like to produce proof as they themselves have not notified immigration of your residency as they are suppose to do, could be something to do with paying income tax do you think!!

You see you are dealing with a reasonable office. What they want is reasonable and it can be done easily. How would you feel if the only way your landlord could register you is online at a site that doesn't work?

I think some Thai landlords simply won't want to deal with what they see as an unwelcome and un- needed intrusion in their life, and unlike us they can't be deported!

• Like 1

The want firm proof of where you are living at the time you apply for the extension.

Not disagreeing, but why? Never had to before and every time you move somewhere it goes into the system anyway.

What if you live in an hotel- will they accept a receipt from the hotel. It's not a requirement of retirement in Thailand to live in one place, far as I know.

Reason why ... ? Now they can extort you for 500B at Immigration opp. Promenada for the Certificate of Residency unless you want to wait 1 month to get it - its a bribe that is fully supported by many members on TV, imagine that ...crazy.gif

• Like 2

Just remember, this is not your country or mine........any type of extention, they can do as they wish.....and requirements can always change!

Stop being an ass about this or that.......if you have problems of required info for immigration, then they will just deny your ext, and you can leave!

Tired to read about such useless rants, if you want logic.....go somewhere else!

There is some truth in this posting,which otherwise is a rant in itself. Watch out you don't fall off that high horse!smile.png

When we got our first 1-year extension (not retirement, but as caretakers for our children who were students) in CM we were required to show a copy of the homeowner's book and rental agreement. But for the next two 1-year extensions of that we were not asked for that by the Nonthaburi office where we live now.

But, when we just took our elderly mother in for her retirement 1 year extension they did ask us for that (not the rental agreement, just us listed on the paper the landlord signs, and copies of his documents). We asked about it, and they said it was new that they required it. They told us to be sure we got the landlord to do a new one for us as well (they keep the original unlike for some things), since our extension is coming up in a few months and we'll need it every time now. They helpfully pointed out the forms, smiled, and were very nice about it and wanted to be sure we wouldn't have trouble when we came back, and so we were grateful, and we'll get it done. smile.png

As with a previous poster, you are dealing with a reasonable office, and what they want is within your remit to provide. Whereas at other offices it may be that the applicant has to get the lanlord to provide informatiuon to immigration. Not so easy you see.

The want firm proof of where you are living at the time you apply for the extension.

Not disagreeing, but why? Never had to before and every time you move somewhere it goes into the system anyway.

What if you live in an hotel- will they accept a receipt from the hotel. It's not a requirement of retirement in Thailand to live in one place, far as I know.

They require proof you are living in the area and eligible to apply for your retirement extension at whatever the appropriate regional Immigration department.

I do my 90 day report in person in Phuket.

Two questions:

1. Does the address I have reported many times on my 90 day report count as proof of residence to renew retirement extension? In other words, is my reported address stored in their system and useable as proof of residence for renewal.

2. And/or, will a current signed rental agreement count as proof of residence for renew?

Thank you.

1. No

2. Yes plus a address registration form that Phuket immigration has of their own that is something like a TM30.

Thanks for answering posters questions with simple facts UJ and not using evey opportunity to act like the pompous kiwi twit that huffs and puffs while explaining nothing-

In answer to Q 2 it was my experience as a tenant in of a rented home ( at Phuket Imm ) that I needed to provide -

*A completed form similiar to a TM 30 as you state and it should be noted that the TOP half is completed by the landlord , and the bottom by the tenant , AND the box at bottom signed by the landlord even though it appears otherwise

* A signed photocopy of the owners ID card

* On the ONE page , at TOP , a photocopy of the owners landbook information page ( with details about the land ) , and at the BOTTOM , a photocopy of the last page of the book pertaining to the owners details , and again the landlord to sign the page

* A photocopy of my completed lease agreement ( obviously , signed by both the landlord and myself)

I asked the girl downstairs at Hkt Imm when I presented the above where the info was going , and she said 'Tax Office'

The Tourist Police confirmed this - it seems they are using the Farang to collect info on people who should be paying tax on the rents collected and this is a way to establish who they are ,,,

When I asked if my newly acquired "Receipt of Notification" ( of place of residence ), that is yet another piece of paper stapled into my passport , would now act as a Proof of Residence , the TP laughed and said , "WE WISH!"

So I still had to get Proof of Residence letters to renew my 2 five year licenses ( Though I did that at Patong and there was no request for 300 baht to do so this time )

If your landlord is unavailable I have no idea what you would do

• Like 2

you are not supposed to move around with a retirement visa you are supposed to stay in one place re a rental agreement or rental receipt for immigration.

Sounds like an extremely boring retirement.

• Like 2

Unless they lived in a few select provinces they probably wouldn't need to do anything at all.

Otherwise, it is anybody's guess.

There are far more offices asking for proof of residence than those that don't.

I would guess that a rental agreement from a hotel would satisfy most offices.

Thanks, I didn't realise that. But what constitutes a report/proof ?, there is a wide variance of what applicants are expected to provide, and landlords for that matter.

What is the average?

I just give them copy of lease before that I gave them a letter from the Hotel and once Apt gave me a letter no problem so what's the Big Deal

That's the past. Have you read any of the threads on Thai Visa ?. Some people are having a lot more trouble.

Why do they want to know where you are every freaking 90 days?