Four Nigerians arrested in online love scam

Thaivisa News

Used to be a lot of them in Vientiane, back when it was easy to get a Thai double-entry visa there. Their gathering spot was a cafe near to where I stayed sometimes, I think it was called Mango Tree, the place was usually packed. I met a US fellow of African descent who told me that once these guys found out he was American they would be on him like stink on doo-doo, even hanging around outside his hotel waiting for him ("hey brudda!"), every day a new con to try on him. Guy had to change hotels and get out of that area.

And then they all disappeared, hardly a black face in town from then on.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What with all the major crime, corruption, human trafficking, and counterfeit property racketeering in Thailand, another petty bust makes the headline news. Thais just don't get it. They perceive that throwing flack up, they will win world consensus that they are fighting crime in Thailand and making groundbreaking major busts.

Maybe petty to you Mr Moneybags,but i'm sure the victim is missing the money.Greed by both parties.You'd be happy if it was your money they got back.

Edited by louse1953

Wrong country. If our four friends had simply slipped into Sweden, they could claim asylum and they would get free housing and be put on the government dole. Then they could have scammed pathetically ignorant highly intelligent and worldly Thai women from afar.

Edited by connda

...what is the difference when it is in person....

...Thai woman....foreign man.....

...'so handsome'....'love you forever'.....

...sign here......

...the difference is that Thai women are getting away with it......

Reasonable synopsis...(my good lady is from Myanamar)

How and why Nigerians get visas here is amazing. One thing my wife pointed out is there aren't many around Pattaya/Jontien. I noticed tons around soi 4 in Bkk tho.

So your wife knows them better than you, lol...tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

there are so many holes in this story

for starters, the victim was probably trolling for foreigners to take advantage of... not illegal, but hey you reap what you sow

then the crime ...

why/how can the police track down the physical location of someone using an online chat in a matter of days... but then can't find the people that received a bunch of money (bank transfer?)...

smells fishy with many participants - including the cops - in on it somehow

more to the story than meets the headline, welcome to Thailand

cops probably caught the woman with the money, split it with her in exchange for giving up the scammers (who confessed to avoid 'interrogation')

Think about this Thai scams expat, and Nigerian scams Thai, who is potentially the smarter scammer and who is dumb as a box of rocks being at the bottom of the scam cycle?

Reality is scammers target vulnerable people, end of story.

I think the guy in the far left of the photo either has BO or just farted from his smile, and the fact there are no BIB at that end of the table pointing.

Oh by the way, is Soi3, 3.1 and 5 in Bangkok, not so much Soi4.

Cheers

Edited by Litlos

"The woman also mailed her a photo of the parcel and told her that she needed to pay Bt160,000 for customs clearance. She transferred the money to her and found out later that she was deceived."

What did she think was in the parcel?

That is a fairly significant chunk of change to cough up for a gift parcel.

post-222557-14321432579195_thumb.jpg