Lottery vendor wins first prize from unsold ticket

Thaivisa News

this isn't a feel good story it is a sure sign of what corruption exists and why people cheat each other.

The whole thing smells of a combination of lottery manipulation for profit (proceeds to be split between 'winner' and lottery personnel) and a genned-up PR stunt for the lottery, which is receiving a lot of negative attention.

I don't believe a word of it.

this isn't a feel good story it is a sure sign of what corruption exists and why people cheat each other.

The whole thing smells of a combination of lottery manipulation for profit (proceeds to be split between 'winner' and lottery personnel) and a genned-up PR stunt for the lottery, which is receiving a lot of negative attention.

I don't believe a word of it.

I think that the person that wanted to buy the tickets has a claim to the winnings. If I were that person... I might say that I offered her the legal price as stipulated in print on the face of the tickets. I was denied the sale because the aforementioned vendor wanted me to break the law by demanding more than face value. She has denied me the right to winnings that should be mine because of her greed. Throw her in prison.

The only thing she denied anyone was the purchase of a ticket she didn't want to sell for whatever reason. When she buys the tickets from her supplier they become hers to do with what she pleases, she is under no obligation to sell them if she doesn't wish to, it's her decision, the price is irrelevant.

No you are wrong. The price is exactly what is relevant. That is what the good General has been saying for the past few attempts. The price is clearly dictated by the government. If she is a vendor the she is bound by the law. If she sells above the price she breaking the law. I agree with the others on this forum, maybe not prison but at least she should not be rewarded for breaking the law.

So much for the scamming lottery vendors crying over unsold "unlucky" numbers. Superstitious idiot lottery ghouls.

I do not understand where the scam is?

The scam is that the price is 80 Baht, and this is printed on each lottery ticket, but nobody will sell it to you below 110 Baht. That is why "The General" threatened to abolish the entire lottery.

If you buy a 100 Baht Top-up voucher for your mobile phone at your local "SEVEN", but they charge you 120 Baht, what would you say/do ? if then you buy a can of SINGHA there, and the price tag clearly says "35 Baht", but they charge you 42 Baht, what will you say/do ?

So these people selling the tickets should do so free?

So much for the scamming lottery vendors crying over unsold "unlucky" numbers. Superstitious idiot lottery ghouls.

The scam is that the price is 80 Baht, and this is printed on each lottery ticket, but nobody will sell it to you below 110 Baht. That is why "The General" threatened to abolish the entire lottery.

If you buy a 100 Baht Top-up voucher for your mobile phone at your local "SEVEN", but they charge you 120 Baht, what would you say/do ? if then you buy a can of SINGHA there, and the price tag clearly says "35 Baht", but they charge you 42 Baht, what will you say/do ?

So these people selling the tickets should do so free?

Remove all the various middlemen from the lottery. Electronic distribution like so many other places in the world.

"a customer wanted to buy the unsold tickets at 80 baht a piece but she refused because this would not cover the cost, she said."

Isn't it the intent of the government to get the price of a pair at 80 baht? She she asking more for the pair? I'd say void her winnings.

Since when has it been 80b ?

20 years ?

I think that lottery vendors should be banned from winning. She even admitted that she refused to sell the tickets to people for the price that they are worth.

I hope she spends some time in jail.

this isn't a feel good story it is a sure sign of what corruption exists and why people cheat each other.[/quote

You are a bimbo, the tickets cost her more than eighty baht, how can she sell for this price, I suggest jail would be good for you , lay off. The juice,]

The markup through multiple levels of informal distribution guarantees the price must be much higher than the face value. The basic problem is that vendors have no way to get their tickets below the face value. This is because the government uses the entrenched middle-men system to distribute the tickets.

The solution could be very simple. If the government decided to distribute the tickets directly to vendors that would fix the problem. It would put a large network of connected influential middle-men out of business, however.

Alternately the government could reduce the price it charges to the first level of private distributors. Then the middle-men could continue to make their markup, but the final marked-up price to the vendor would be low enough that the vendor could still make a profit at 80 Baht. It's only a matter of who pays for the reform, the middle men or the government.

The government already has a potential distribution structure at their disposal if they choose to use it. The Amphoe District offices all across the country could be assigned to distribute lottery tickets to registered vendors.

I'm happy for her.

Just as an aside, I was in the Asoke area of Sukhumvit yesterday and there were big signs saying 100 Baht with the vendors. First time I've seen this. Up here in Sukhothai it's normally 110 by word of mouth.

Those signs are for show only in order to show ''compliance'' to the police. The other day outside the hospital the sign said 90 Baht. When my wife went to buy a ticket the vendor said that if you only buy one it's 110.

I thought Uncle Too fixed the problem with the lottery.

The Thai lottery must be the biggest SCAM going !

80 baht buys you a ticket, for which if your lucky enough to get first prize ... a whopping 4 million baht wouldn't even buy you a shophouse in Phuket.

That's because Phuket is the second biggest scam in Thailand.

I don't get it anymore.

She bought all the 10 booklets for full price of 80 baht a ticket?!

And the general wants her to sell the same tickets for 80 baht?

And all unsold tickets are valid during the draw, so how can a reseller ever make any money then?

Why thais never make a secret when win in lottery , and post there full name in public?

I not understand this

Tomorrow that 4 million is hanging around her neck or in her ears while she pulls up in her new Fortuner.wai2.gif