Tourist police checking farangs today in Hua Hin

roly

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/18/2015 at 9:43 AM, melvinmelvin said:

I thought Tourist Police was a regular polie force with a narrowed down portfolio. They have the same authority as most other poilice.

You may be thinking of Tourist Police Volunteers.

ask to  see their work permits

police out again last night this time on the soi chomsin to soi 88 mountain pass over hin lek fai from ~11pm. waved me on with a "slowly, slowly" warning but were pulling other bikes over, about 10 of them.

not sure i feel safer or not lol maybe start carry passport in case

Edited by GeorgeCross

This as mentioned being asked of  all farangs by me and I live way out of Pranburi, the form was given to my Wife by a  FULL TIME official Thai policeman who has been coming here for over 3-4  years, no tourist police here anyway. HERE is the form you will be asked to fill in, again was told simply "from govt"

20160920_125730.jpg

20160920_125740.jpg

On September 21, 2016 at 8:12 AM, kannot said:

This as mentioned being asked of  all farangs by me and I live way out of Pranburi, the form was given to my Wife by a  FULL TIME official Thai policeman who has been coming here for over 3-4  years, no tourist police here anyway. HERE is the form you will be asked to fill in, again was told simply "from govt"

20160920_125730.jpg

20160920_125740.jpg

"i'd be happy to fill in the english translated form mr.policeman.. now jog on x"

i can see my point went over your head.. twice :cheesy:

(hint and i'll slow this right down so you can catch up..it's not the force bit..)

Not quite sure where you are from Georgie boy but I'm going to go out on a limb and say pompous git land. Now I'm sure in pgl they have forms available in all languages to fill out and you being a good little ambassador from Pgl expect the same here. And rightly so after all pgl does rule the world. Sadly it isn't so. So when someone asks you to pick up the soap don't ask how far you want it up your Russell
Goodbye you are a boring little git

3 hours ago, pcliff069 said:

Not quite sure where you are from Georgie boy but I'm going to go out on a limb and say pompous git land. Now I'm sure in pgl they have forms available in all languages to fill out and you being a good little ambassador from Pgl expect the same here. And rightly so after all pgl does rule the world. Sadly it isn't so. So when someone asks you to pick up the soap don't ask how far you want it up your Russell
Goodbye you are a boring little git

lol :cheesy:

A couple of things here:

#1. There's a similar thread going on in the CM forum right now re what appears to be exactly the same kind of form. So it may well be some kind of actual government/police initiative as opposed to a scam.

#2. There have been periodic farang info gathering campaigns by real Thai police in the past, usually in outlying areas more than in Bangkok, for example. Typically done under the cover of, we need your information so we can "assist" you if there's ever trouble or you're killed/injured.

#3. Thai tourist police, the Thai citizen types, are real policemen with regular police powers. They have the legal right to stop Thais or farangs and ask for ID/passport, etc., whether or not you are a "tourist."

#4. The problem with all this, however, is that Thailand is rife with scammers, crooks and even off-duty cops who go around impersonating police and/or engaging in illicit activities. So if ever confronted by someone claiming to be Thai police, the normal thing would be to ask for their identification, snap a photo of them and their ID, and then go from there. It's a bit simpler if they're arriving in a marked police car, a bit less clear if they're unmarked and out of uniform.  And of course, there's always the option to request and/or demand to deal with their issue at the local police station.