Is A Onward Airticket Required

I know this question has been asked before but I never paid any attention to the answer as it didn't apply to me as I'm here on a retirement visa. I have a friend who will be arriving in December and wants to know if he will need to have a r/t ticket. He wants to come on a o/w ticket, do some traveling, then get his return ticket from somewhere in SEA. would it make a difference if he got a 60 day tourist visa?

Malaysian Airlines stopped me from boarding their airplane from London to Bangkok with a one way ticket.

Luckly I had a forwarding ticket to Malaysia with Airasia but the checkout guy was quite serious and checked with management first before letting me check in.

I don't know if it matters having a 60 day visa, I thought you were required by Immigration to have a return ticket/forwarding ticket.

A few years back I had to buy a ticket at the airport in Seattle for some reason and they wouldn't let me buy a one-way ticket unless I could show them a visa. I wasted a lot of time arguing with them about the non-neccessity of doing that, but in the end bought a full fare ticket as their suggestion so that I could get a refund on the return portion. Only time that has ever happened to me.

With Emirates I fly regularly to London on a BKK-London return. Due to the 'onward ticket' requirement I have started booking a BKK- Hong Kong return flight within 30 days of my Bangkok return. It seems that you do not actually need to have paid for an onward ticket to satisfy the airline, just having the reservation on their computer is enough. Just cancel the reservation when you get back to BKK. This seems to do the job for Emirates with no cost to yourself.

I'm considering a trip to Thailand. I was there in 1969 and have never returned. Now retired, I am thinking of spending some time, possibly traveling North for a week and spending time in Bangkok and scouting out the area.

My questions are probably boring, but would it be good to contact someone via email and find out about a short-term Thai companion/guide for the first week in Bangkok? My Thai is very rusty, however I speak very basic and would hope it would improve over a month of so.

Also, ticketing. I would like to leave on Passport from US and get visia issued on entry. Do I need a ticket out at that time? Or would it be smart to just get a Tourist Visa before I travel?

Also, ticketing. I would like to leave on Passport from US and get visia issued on entry. Do I need a ticket out at that time? Or would it be smart to just get a Tourist Visa before I travel?
I can’t quite understand why you would want to buy a one-way ticket from USA to Thailand. What advantage would this give you?

I you plan to stay less than 30 days, buy a return ticket and go to Thailand without visa. You will be admitted into Thailand for 29 days (30 days if you count both the day of arrival and the day of departure)

If you plan to stay longer or if you are not sure how long you will stay, get a tourist visa. It costs only $25, I believe – plus postage, of course, if you apply by mail.

---------------

Maestro

If you plan to stay longer or if you are not sure how long you will stay, get a tourist visa. It costs only $25, I believe – plus postage, of course, if you apply by mail.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks for the reply. I just have zero plans. I am traveling and all I would have to do I guess is decide where to go. But I might want to stay longer. I might want to decide where to go from there. Flexibility I guess would be the only reason.

I'm a little confused about the length of stay, whether it is 30-60-90 days without having to leave the country. But I know the embassy can answer these questions. More to the point would be getting adjusted. I have spent zero time in Bangkok and it would all be new to me. I spent a year in Northeast Thailand in 1969.

So, I see me showing up and not really knowing a good place to stay while I figure it out. I'm single and would probably like a decent hotel with good security but without paying $100 US a night. I'd like to get by on somewhere around 1500 baht for the room. (less by the week but still have the flexibility to leave after a week).

So, if I had a good contact to ask questions prior to the trip or actually had an arrangement for a guide for the first week, then I think I'd feel better.

I flew from London to Bangkok on Thai Airways with a one way ticket without a visa. The english woman at the check-in desk wasn't going to let me board but she asked a female Thai colleague who said "mai bpen rai".

I wouldn't do this again. I think i was lucky to be let on the plane and it may have just been because the plane was struggling to meet their scheduled departure time and were trying to get everyone on board ASAP.

I wouldn't do this again. I think i was lucky to be let on the plane and it may have just been because the plane was struggling to meet their scheduled departure time and were trying to get everyone on board ASAP.

Thanks. I'll just arrange with the embassy in LA/SF for a tourist visa and buy whatever tickets are needed.

Any suggestions for some guide type service for the first couple of days. Where do the ex-pats hang during the daytime? What is the best area for ex-pats in the evening. Not looking for total rowdiness but have no problem with some quiet place/bar/etc.

I guess I could hack it without some help on the street (I have been there before) but there seem to be a lot of rules affecting life that were not in place when I was there 37 years ago..

Although the country has changed a great deal since 1969 you really do not need a guide. Many more Thai now speak fair to good English (especially in Bangkok) and even upcountry is not a problem as there is a huge number of tourists visiting the country year round.

Do obtain a tourist visa. There are hotel websites (such as listed on this site) where you can obtain both information and costs or make reservations. Security is not a major concern (if you can make your way around an American city you should not have any problems here) - the only must not is the same as 37 years ago - don't be aggressive as that often has little middle ground and goes from insult to deadly force much faster than we might expect.

Returning to the topic of "Onward Ticket Required".

Some countries will not allow foreigners to arrive by air unless the foreigner has either a return ticket, a credit card, or sufficient cash on him to pay for his stay in the country, with enough likely to be left over to buy a return (or onward) ticket.

Depending on the country and the enforcement personnel, I think that there may be discretion used in some cases: i.e. if the person has white skin, a credit card, and/or is a citizen of a developed country, no problem entering on a one- way ticket. If he doesn'tmeet at least one of these requirements, it can be more difficult.

Flying to Bangkok just last week on a one-way ticket, I checked with all those who for whatever might consider having a problem with it. I even got my visa with that one-way ticket in hand.

The only problem I could see is your airline. Mine said "if you do NOT have a visa, we require you to sign a statement that you will pay for a ticket yourself if you are refused entrance. if you DO have a visa, no problem at all". This was EVA Airways.

Flying to Bangkok just last week on a one-way ticket, I checked with all those who for whatever might consider having a problem with it. I even got my visa with that one-way ticket in hand.

OK, thanks all. Appreciate the chat. It helped me feel more comfortable. I guess in my old age (grin) I'm just a little slower for the full adventure. But, I appreciate all your comments. Nice to be treated kindly on my first posts and visit to the site.