Abhisit to bow out of politics if party loses next election

webfact

Abhisit to bow out of politics if party loses next election
PIMNARA PRADUBWIT
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- DEMOCRAT PARTY leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has said that his political journey may end if his party loses the next general election.

Abhisit made the remark during his address yesterday entitled "Inspirations to becoming |politicians" to Rangsit University students.

"I have little time left working in the political arena. I have no idea when the election will be held but whenever it is, I will definitely run for it. If I fail, it is the end," he said.

"I have been opposition party leader three times, that is enough. The fourth time is unlikely. I had earlier planned if there were not any hiccups, I would wash my hands off politics at age 50," he said.

Abhisit said the national divide would not be resolved as long as former prime-minister Thaksin Shinawatra was adamant in not complying with the Thai legal |system. "We must ask the people what would they choose: First, do not give in to Thaksin - or wait till he dies? Second, give in to him - or allow him to win [against] the justice system? I pick number one because I have little time left," he said.

The Democrat leader said he had pushed for a public referendum on the new charter since last year because the country had [drawn up] as many as 20 charters over the years. The plebiscite would put the stop to arguments and conflict.

Abhisit hailed Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha for his ideas and initiatives to reform and push the country forward - but the |former PM questioned if Prayut's long-term strategic plans were |feasible.

"I am not very sure that the plans can be achieved because they entirely depend on the political process. The country needs at least two governments to materialise the plans," he said.

He also questioned if the Prayut government was being hypocritical.

"The government is trying to set up a system - but on the other hand it does not comply with the system, for instance using Article 44 to suppress corruption. Meanwhile, the charter draft says politicians in following governments cannot transfer any bureaucrats," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Abhisit-to-bow-out-of-politics-if-party-loses-next-30260338.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-18

What election? Can't see one being held in the next couple of hundred years. When Prayuth dies his children will inherit the country and so on, as is done in Nth Korea.

given that his political opponents are being handily "erased" from the political scene along with the blatantly biased charter being produced, he just might "win" this time.

Good job Mark - who needs a winning party platform when you can ride multiple military & judicial "interventions" to the top.... coffee1.gif

He's never won an election yet and nothing has changed to improve his popularity - he may as well "bow out" now.

Geordie Mark is in danger of relegation from the big league, just like his favorite club !!

Thanks for that

regards Worgeordie

The Democrats had always problems in elections and only under Chuan Lekpai they won once during the time I have been living in Thailand.

They lost again Chatchai (CTP) which was followed by a coup.

They lost again Banharn (CT)

They lost against Chavalit (NAP) and then won the election after the IMF crisis but called a snap elections after Suthep questionable deals in the South which they lost.

They lost against all elections from TRT and the PTP but they rose to power after the first coup with the help of BJT.

PTP will be disbanded and most will not qualify to again but I stand to my word that CTP, BJT and most reds will move to those two parties and possible create another party and they will beat once again the Democrats. Chavalit was never removed in a coup and Newin's group of the BJT and as well CTP under the Banharn family had always had a fine balance between power and sharing with Bangkok.

I personally don't like Chavalit but Wikipedia has a good article about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chavalit_Yongchaiyudh

Don't worry Abhisit. The current government will have the opposition stomped into the dirt by the time the next election comes around. There will only be one party at the next election...your party.

He's never won an election yet and nothing has changed to improve his popularity - he may as well "bow out" now.

And his performance as premier was very poor as well.

What election? Can't see one being held in the next couple of hundred years. When Prayuth dies his children will inherit the country and so on, as is done in Nth Korea.

How many military coups Thailand had in the past?

How many Thai military governments last a couple of hundred years?

He'll repair the worst things the next 1-3 years and than the politicians can ripp off the country again.

He'll repair the worst things the next 1-3 years and than the politicians can ripp off the country again.

You have such charming faith in the military. They have done so well governing Thailand in that past that everyone here breathed a great sigh of relief when they reluctantly agreed to undertake this onerous burden once again. Their selfless sacrifice is admired by all.

I feel like I am watching a show co-produced by Ricky Gervais, Jerry Lewis, Monty Python, Lewis Black, and Benny Hill titled "Once More Into the Breach, for the 18th Time" -- to be directed,of course, by Rowan Atkinson after imbibing magic mushrooms each day...

You can't make this absurdity up because it isn't even believable fiction.....

huh.png

Repair ? 5555. What has he fixed/repaired in the last year ? The lottery ? No, The economy ? no, The war in the south ? no, the division in the country ? no, the education system ? no, corruption ? no etc etc ................................................................

He has won elections to be an MP just like every other PM...

It is not the voters who chose a PM but the elected MP's, so when MP's switch parties, or smaller parties switch allegiance, then they can legitimately remove one

pm with a no confidence vote and vote for another.

What is sad Mark could have stayed in the UK and stood for which ever party he wanted and would almost certainly been more respected.

Why bow out now he is a guaranteed winner the PTP have been decimated. Maybe the job of the next PM could be dangerous to his or her health and everybody will pass and an anointment will take place. The sword of Damocles could be hanging over their head. After each coup and new constitution something has been learned by the take er overs. People do learn from their mistakes. Loopholes in past constitutions are closed and new iron clad ones inserted. The PTP are split into little factions who will endlessly squabble among themselves.

Edited by elgordo38

Regardless of Marks intentions one would hope that he considers all options , detractors may say what they like and obviously the other-side do with Thaksin , like him or hate him Thailand cannot afford to lose people of Mark's knowledge when it comes down to politics, in a debate between the current leader and Mark I know who would win, hence the junta hiding behind section 44. coffee1.gif

You have such charming faith in the military. They have done so well governing Thailand in that past that everyone here breathed a great sigh of relief when they reluctantly agreed to undertake this onerous burden once again. Their selfless sacrifice is admired by all.

mostly military governments or their proxies have run Thailand over the last 70 years and yet people automatically blame "elected" governments for Thailand's problems.

strange.... whistling.gif

Don't worry Abhisit. The current government will have the opposition stomped into the dirt by the time the next election comes around. There will only be one party at the next election...your party.

This is what it's all about ! This Junta came in to favor Suthep, and they will never allow any opposition until the yellows can win an election.

He has won elections to be an MP just like every other PM...

It is not the voters who chose a PM but the elected MP's, so when MP's switch parties, or smaller parties switch allegiance, then they can legitimately remove one

pm with a no confidence vote and vote for another.

What is sad Mark could have stayed in the UK and stood for which ever party he wanted and would almost certainly been more respected.

OK, to make it more clear for you, NO, he did not win elections like every other PM, he did win an undemocratic election held by an undemocratic self installed government !